Chapter 08

The bold And The beauty

 

"Jiyong ah, Maya, you guys should spend the night here! It's been so long since we spent time as a family, what with Jiyong s new album and all.. " Jiyong s father said as he sat down in the living room.

"Oppa, we didn't come prepared. Plus I have a schedule tomorrow," continued Jiyong. 

"But your manager said your schedule is in the afternoon?" countered his mom.

"Yes, but.." before he could continue, Jiyong father declared,"Nothing doing. Spend the night here with us and you can go tomorrow in the morning."

Jiyong glanced at Maya indecisively wondering what she would want. They were not in that stage of a relationship where they could understand each other by a mere look or without talking. 

"Maya, don't you have some work you have to get done ?" tried Jiyong once again to escape.

"I do.. but I guess it can wait." Maya replied as she noticed the expectant face of his parents. She didn't want to disappoint the elderly couple. They wanted to spend time with their son which they rarely get an opportunity to.

Everyone seemed pleased with her answer and smiled and nodded, making her feel very embarrassed.

Wanting to avoid the attention on her, Maya got up to help clear the desert cups and spoons from the table with her mother inlaw.

 

Once in the kitchen, the maid of the family gave Maya a curious look and a hesitant smile as she continued her work. 

"Min young, you can leave for today. I will do the rest," Maya s motherinlaw instructed the maid as she gestured for Maya to sit on one of the chairs in the kitchen island. 

Waiting for the maid to leave, the elderly woman took her daughter in law s hand in hers and smiled at her.

"Maya.. I don't know where you and Jiyong are in your relationship, but please be patient with him. He has spent most of his life away from family, training and working very hard to come where he is. It didn't come easily to him," Jiyong s mother confided with tears in her eyes.

Maya looked at the woman before her with distress. She didn't know how to respond to such a sincere plea from such an elderly person. 

But without noticing Maya, Jiyong s mom continued, "I am not saying he is a good man but he is not bad. He has done a lot of things in his life that I wish he never did but I was never near or close to him to understand why he did all those things. But now that you are here, please be a support to him that I failed to be."

"Eomonim.. you are saying big things. I can never replace you or anyone in Jiyong shi s life. I doubt he even has space for me in his current life. We are so different. Music is his life while I don't know head or tail about it," Maya finally confided a small part of her insecurity to the older woman.

"It doesn't matter, Maya. All of us need balance and that's why Jiyong is lacking in life now,"  Jiyong s mom gave a motherly smile to Maya. 

"I knew there was a mother in law daughter in law talk going on here," Jiyong s sister exclaimed as she walked into the kitchen and sat on the chair opposite to Maya.

Seeing Maya weak smile, she immediately reckoned, "Did mom scare you off with scary stories about Jiyong? Believe all of it and be sure there s more! Oh!! That boy!! He used to drive me mad!!" Jiyong sister, Dami tried to bring a lighter mood to the situation.

Jiyong s momplayfulyl chided her daughter before she left to make arrangements for the newly wedded couple s first night at her house.

As Maya watched the old woman leave with a happy smile on her face to have her Son at home in a long while, she heard Dami say, "Our Jiyong might act all cold and emotionless, but he has a very Soft heart, Maya. He has been so lonely for sometime now. It is kills my parents to see what he goes through sometimes Abd they have praying for him to find the right person to get married and have kids for so Long now."

Maya was at a loss of words to find a suitable reply. How can she tell them that they were placing their trust on the wrong person? That she wasn't even trying to be the person they wanted her to be?That maybe Sandara was that person and she was standing in the way? 

But before she had a chance to make any response, Dami s Daughter entered the room and looked at Maya as she said, "Grandma said the room is ready. She said you can borrow Mom s pajamas."

Maya thanked her while Dami got up to accompany Maya to her room.

Jiyong s old room was a typical bachelor s room. Just as Maya sat perched on the bed, Di entered the room with a pair of pajamas and towel. 

"The bathroom is second door to the left. Go get cleaned and changed. I will go see what the guys are doing," Dami stated as she turned to leave.

"Unnie... I can't.. this pajama is too.. too skimpy! can I have something less revealing?" Maya stammered as she looked at the sleeveless silk shirt and shorts she held in her hands. 

Dami winked at her as she replied," A man like my brother has to be kept on his toes. Come on.. go change.. why did you think Mom asked you guys to spend the night? Don't try to cheat! She will come and check , you know!"

As Maya stood there contemplating what to do, Jiyong peeked into the room. Just a glance at her pale face and the dress in her hand and Jiyong knew what was happening. Without closing the door fully, he went into the room and waited for Maya to look at him before he said, "Look.. Maya.. I am really sorry for putting you in this situation. I know you don't feel safe with me in the same room even without that thing you have in your hand. But I want to promise you something. I promise I won't come near you or lay even a finger on you. Ok? You can change into that thing if you want to or don't, if you don't want to. But my promise still holds. I know we haven't known each other for long but please.. trust me."

Maya looked into his eyes intently, with a thousand thoughts in her mind. And finally his Mother s voice echoed in her mind," I am not saying my Son is a good man but he is not bad" she had said. Putting all her trust on the older woman, Maya nodded her head and went to change her clothes.