People are like Rubik's cube

Didn't know I like Rainbows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 7

People are like Rubik’s cube

 

I didn’t had bad dreams. However I didn’t dream of unicorns like I thought I would, but that doesn’t matter. What matters is that I had a peaceful sleep, all thanks to Chaeyoung’s sweet and mellow voice. If only I could record her voice and play it till I fall asleep I would, but then it’ll be creepy so never mind.

 

Chaeyoung wasn’t hard to spot amongst the sea of students entering the school. I hurried over and walked next to her. “Chaeng, thank you for last night. I —"

 

A gasp just beside me made me stop, as well as Chaeyoung. “What did you two do last night?! Did you--- Oh my god! I can't accept this! I thought I told you that I like you! But how can you do this to me! Huh _____?” Jennie had her eyebrows furrowed and pointed an accusing finger to Chaeyoung and me.

 

"What are you saying Jennie?" I have absolutely no idea what she was talking about.

 

She shook her head and looked like I did something wrong to her. Did I? ”You know what? Forget it!" Jennie walked away, her arms crossed, not caring even if she was bumping to other students.

 

"What was that?” I asked Chaeyoung, who was staring at Jennie’s back. 

 

"She's just being overdramatic.” She concluded, which I also thought that it was the reason why Jennie was acting all weird.

 

We continued our walk to our lockers. Our lockers weren’t that far from each other so we headed on the same place. What caught my attention is that Chaeyoung wasn’t saying anything. It was unusual since she’s always the one to open up a topic first, and I can’t help but feel like there’s something troubling her, so I had to ask, “Chaeng, are you alright? You seem uneasy…” I faced her as we walked, reading her facial expression.

 

I saw her gulp and look at me. “Did you fell asleep while I was singing or?”

 

“No. I fell asleep right when you said goodnight. Why?” 

 

She heaved a sigh of relief and it was very visible that she’s back to her composed self. “Nothing. I just thought—-never mind.” Chaeyoung shook her head and smiled. “Have you memorised the script already?” 

 

“I just familiarised myself with it. I feel like I’ll eventually forget it if I just memorised it.” Memorising just isn’t my thing. Mom asks me to drink supplements since I keep on forgetting a lot of things. Thankfully my forgetfulness lessened.

 

“That’s cool then. I just hope the others did that as well.”

 

We did good in the presentation. In fact, the teacher was pleased especially with the powerpoint. She liked that we prepared well for the discussion and that we weren’t monotonous like the others. All in all, I’m pleased with the outcome, especially that Jisoo and Jennie did great considering that they were slacking off when we were practicing.

 

Classes went on smoothly and before I knew it, I was already on my way for basketball practice. The practice was every Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays after class. The schedule wasn’t a pain in the since I was expecting that it’ll be everyday. 

 

But then I remember that I still have art club. I just wish that we don’t have any after school activities. They haven’t even messaged me about it! And it’s been a week already!

 

Usually I would arrive just in time or maybe late, but I arrived earlier than most of my teammates. Therefore, Mia and I were doing our warm up before the others. 

 

Just then I felt and arm encircling my waist. Oh my god who’s this creep behind me?!

 

“You know I’m still supposed to be mad at you for doing ‘that’ with Rosé and not me, but you should be thankful that you’re irresistible.” That creep is Jennie. It’s definitely Jennie. She really loves whispering close to my ear. She really loves making my ears heat up. She really loves making my heartbeat race. And she definitely loves touching me. 

 

Her arms around my waist and her front pressed on my back, she rested her head on my shoulders. Our father who art in heaven hallowed be thy na——What am I doing? Forgive me lord.

 

I breathe in and out slowly before composing myself. “What’s ‘that’? And why did you suddenly walked off earlier?” I really, really don't want to get out of her embrace but I couldn’t even move my feet or hands! Somebody help me!

 

“I was upset because you slept with Rosé.” I glanced over a little to look at her, and then I immediately regret doing so because Jennie was pouting and I think it’s really adorable. Not!

 

“I didn’t. She just helped me fall asleep that’s why I was thanking her.” 

 

“Oh.” It was creepy how her pout slowly, very slowly, turned into a grin.

 

“Jennie!” A high-pitched voice called for Jennie, making her sigh and let go. Finally I can breathe properly! Jennie slowly walked towards the cheerleaders and started with their warm ups.

 

I felt a nudge on my right side and saw Mia smirking. “You and Jennie huh?” I could only shook my head and ignore her. My mind isn’t ready for proper functioning yet.

 

The cheerleaders were distracting. Why did we have to share the gym with them? Not that I’m being selfish but I think it’s really not a great idea to let the basketball team and cheerleaders practice together. Just my opinion.

 

We were doing some dribbling exercises, which I think is pretty boring, and I really don’t know what’s gotten into me but I think watching the cheerleading team do their thing while I’m still doing the exercises isn’t that bad. But you see, it is bad. Jennie just caught me looking at her and of course, she had to smirk and! and she even had the audacity to wink at me. 

 

“______. Focus.” Mia’s voice saved me from whatever was going on my head. Okay, focus.

 

We had a very short break, not even five minutes, before we start playing in teams. I was drinking my water at the bleachers when Jennie sat beside me. Someone tell me that it’s a coincidence that they’re having a break as well.

 

“Woah... your fingers are really skilled in handling the ball and dribbling. I bet it's skilled in doing something else as well.” She wore that annoying smirk and her eyebrows were moving up and down. 

 

"Yeah It's skilled in painting and sketching as well.” I’m pretty confident in that.

But Jennie doesn’t seem to believe it as she laughed hard, and shook her head repeatedly. How dare she!

 

The group that I was in was great. I was assigned as the small forward and I think I did a pretty good job with it, especially when there was this embarrassing someone who kept on shouting my name and cheering me on. I’m not gonna lie, maybe it did give me a little bit of energy.

 

My team and I were on fire as we won against the other team with a difference of 17 points. Can you believe that? 

 

“Nice game guys! We’ll have a fifteen minutes water break.” Bless you Mia the generous. I thought she would be merciless like last time and won’t let us have a decent break. 

 

I sat at the bleachers and watched in fascination at the cheerleader’s dance routine. They were doing some cartwheel and some splits. There was no way I can do that. If only I was a bit more flexible then why not? The most fascinating part was when they did some stunts in the air. Some of the cheerleaders were thrown up and they did some poses while they’re up in the air. Jennie was one of them. How does she do that?! 

 

My water bottle was already empty and yet I’m still thirsty. Thank goodness I have an extra water bottle at the locker room. I passed behind the cheerleaders, who were still practicing the stunts, and made my way towards the locker room. Just then a loud shriek echoed throughout the gym, followed by a couple more. I quickly turned around and as if everything was in slow motion, the girl at the top of the ‘pyramid’ thing they did fell off. 

 

. Oh my god did I just curse?! Mom’s gonna kill me! But that doesn’t matter right now!

 

Adrenaline rushed through me and I ran to catch the girl who was about to hit the ground. Thankfully I was near them, that I was able to catch her just in time before she hit the ground and die. Or maybe just break her bones, but that’s not the point cause she’s a bit heavy.

 

I fell due to the impact. I had my arms around the girl tight to make sure she’s not injured or whatsoever. I wished I wasn’t injured as well cause my back really hurts.

 

I opened my eyes and held the gaze of a familiar chocolate orbs on top of me. Is this deja vu? With Jennie on top of me while I’m lying on the cold floor of the gym, this is totally deja vu. Except that Jennie looked like she was about to cry. 

 

My back was hurting a lot so I tapped Jennie lightly on her shoulders and told her to stand up. She quickly did and muttered a sorry and helped me up. Oh god my back hurts so bad I think I need to go to the hospital.

 

Now that I’ve look around, almost everybody at the gym is looking at us. I suddenly feel very self conscious.

 

“_____. I’m sorry.” My attention went back to the girl in front of me, who was biting her lip and obviously was trying to hold back her tears. No, I turn weak every time someone cries. Please don’t cry.

 

Jennie stepped closer and closed the gap between us. She encircled her arms on my waist and buried her face on my shoulders. Nope, she wasn’t crying. Thank goodness. But my back still hurts and she’s holding me tight.

 

“I thought I was going to die.” Her voice was muffled but I was able to hear it. All I could do was her hair, just like what I did to Jisoo, and I hope it does calm her down. I feel like I’m holding a glass right now. I’ll have to make sure not to break it.

 

Mia told the students watching us to continue what they were doing and smiled at me, more like smirked before she dismissed the team.

 

****

“Hey.” Jennie walked beside me. I was on my way to the cafeteria when she popped up. “I’m sorry about yesterday. And thank you too.” I don’t know why but I find it really cute how she’s looking down and playing with her fingers. 

 

“It’s good. Don’t worry.” I don’t want her to feel guilty about it since it’s not entirely her fault that she fell. It was an accident after all. 

 

Jennie walked me up until where I was going to sit. Wendy was already sitting there. Chaeyoung was nowhere to be found and Wendy said that their language teacher asked a favour to Chaeyoung which is why she’s not joining us.

 

“So, I notice that you're close with Jennie...How far have you gone with her?" Wendy grinned and leaned forward.

 

“We only went to the mall.” I shrugged but suddenly felt uncomfortable when Wendy stared at me for a couple of seconds and then laughed. Did I say something funny? I don’t think so.

 

Wendy leaned back on her chair and clapped her hands as if she finds me amusing. “Rosé is right, you're really cute and naive.”

 

Chaeyoung thinks I'm cute and naive? "I-I'm not!”

 

I only got a laugh in return from Wendy. People just keep on laughing at me. First, it was Jennie yesterday, and then now Wendy. I’m quite sure I don’t look ridiculous o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter