Four kinds of heart: Whole, broken, hopeful, and confused

Didn't know I like Rainbows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Guess who did a proof read? not me, of course.

 

Chapter 16

Four kinds of heart: Whole, broken, hopeful, and confused

 

 

Jennie looked at me expectantly, waiting for an answer. Actually, everyone in the gym is looking at me.

 

Regardless of how unsure I am with what I’m feeling for her, I have to give an answer now. 

I remember what Jisoo has told me, about how I would know if I love someone. 

 

First, you feel butterflies in your stomach whenever she’s around.

 

I do feel that whenever I’m with Jennie.

 

Second, you always think of her.

 

That’s true as well.

 

Third, she males you smile without trying so hard.

 

Jennie always makes me smile.

 

Fourth, she makes you a better person.

 

I’ve always felt that way. Maybe, I do like her. 

 

 

“So?” I heard Jennie ask, coughing awkwardly as she has stayed at the top of the pyramid for a couple of minutes already. She looked kinda nervous.

 

I took a deep breath before flashing her a smile. “Yes, you can be my cheerleader.” All of the students in the gym sighed in relief and they started clapping their hands. 

 

Jennie let go of the banner, went down, and hugged me tight.

 

Jen changed a lot since I’ve met her. She used to be this, flirt cheerleader who has everyone bowing for her, well not everyone. But the point is, not once had I seen her flirting with anybody else after she told me she liked me, except for the movie ticket thing, but she didn’t actually wanted to, she just thought that she needed to. 

 

“Thank you. I promise to give you what you deserve. I promise.” She whispered and I could feel my heart beat faster.

 

We stayed like that for a while, until someone with a deep voice shouted, “What’s all of this?! Go back to practicing!” The coach whistled and all the cheerleaders, except for Jennie, gathered to practice.

 

“Jen. Your coach will get mad.” We haven’t let go of each other yet. Jennie groaned and I’m imagining that she’s rolling her eyes. 

 

Slowly, she let go of her embrace and I did as well. Jen stared at me, pouting. She looks so adorable! If only I can pull her right now and she could skip practice, I would. But then I remember, I should make her a better person. Too bad I have my principles. 

 

“Go now.” I could see the coach staring at us and god, does it feel uncomfortable.

 

Instead of turning around and going to her team, Jennie held my hands. “I don’t want to.”

“You need to.”

 

Jennie looked at me again with her twinkling eyes and pouty lips. She’s telling me that she wants to ditch the practice, and I’m about to fall into temptation but no! I won’t. I won’t. I won’t. I have to think of something that——oh. “How about I’ll wait for you and we could go somewhere after?”

 

Finally, Jen showed her gummy smile and let go of my hands. “Okay!”

 

I was supposed to go home and do my homework, but oh well. I can just do that after our date. Date? Oh my god it sounds weird. and ohmygod my lips are tugging up. No, don’t smile. You’ll look like a fool if anyone sees you smiling by yourself.

 

They finished a couple of minutes earlier and thankfully I didn’t had to wait too long. Although, it was actually kind of entertaining to watch them throw someone in the air and then catch it. 

 

After changing, we walked out of the school and looked for a place to go to. “You know? I’ve always imagined us going to dates.” Jennie nudged me, wiggling her eyebrows.

 

“Really? That’s creepy.” I pretended that I was disgusted just to and surprisingly, she easily thought that I was serious.

 

A frown replaced her smile and she halted her steps. “You think so?”

 

I chuckled and ruffled her hair. “I was just messing with you.” Who knew Jennie can be this adorable?

 

“Oh no. You wouldn’t want me messing with you.” She shook her head and the corner of her lips curled. “You know what would happen.” A wink was then thrown my way and I pretended I didn’t heard whatever she said although all sorts of things are running inside my mind and I just had to block them out. God! The book Lisa gave me is just—-ruining everything. It’s like, I’m seeing in another perspective.

 

I shook my head, hoping that it would shake the thoughts away. Jen’s arms circled mine and she looked at me. “What do you want to eat?”

 

“I’m not sure…” After eating a sandwich before going to the gym, my stomach doesn’t really have any room left. “Maybe some snacks?”

 

“Let’s see…”Jen looked around. There were a lot of stores in front of us so it wouldn’t really be that hard to choose one. “Ice cream or Jennie?” Her mischievous smile is making its appearance once again.

 

I could feel the corner of my lips tugging up. “Mmm…What if I choose Jennie?” I don’t even know what I’m saying. This is so not me, but…It’s that damn book’s fault!

 

“Well, then we’ll go to my house and…My dad’s not home by the way. We can have the house to ourselves.” Jennie’s signature smirk and wink made its appearance.

 

I looked up, pretending to think. “Let’s go get ice cream.” I then pulled the laughing Jennie with me to the ice cream shop in front of us. 

 

If she’s going to tease me, I’ll too.

 

 

The week had gone by pretty quickly and before I knew it, Saturday had already come. Jennie and I decided not to tell anyone just yet. It was me who suggested it since I don’t really want too much attention drawn to me. Only the cheerleaders knew about our relationship. 

I still ate lunch with Chaeng and Wendy, although sometimes I eat with Jen since she would pout and say that we barely spend time with each other. Honestly, we spend a lot of time together, just not in school. We would usually go somewhere after school and she would walk me home. 

 

This morning, Jisoo and I are going to have breakfast at a café near the school. I was actually hoping that she’ll bring dalcom but she didn’t. Well, it’s understandable since we’re going to eat breakfast at a café.

 

We had our orders taken by the waiter and I can’t help but notice how Jisoo kept on shifting on her seat and fidgeting with her fingers. “Are you okay?” “You look like you’re about to be called by the principal.”

 

“I’m fine.” She made a brief eye contact, probably the first one, and took a sip of her coffee.

 

The food arrived and we ate without a word. I would have come up with something to say if I wasn’t too caught up with figuring out what was wrong with Jisoo today. It’s not her stepmom again is it——

 

“I haven’t been bullying anyone,” Jisoo suddenly said that it took me several seconds before I figured out what she was saying.

 

“That’s great!”

 

“I don’t pull nayeon’s hair anymore, even though she irritates me like, 24/7.”

 

I placed down my utensils and listened to what Jisoo was saying. “Nayeon must be happy.” Exactly where is this conversation heading?

 

“I don’t make the nerds do my homework anymore, I do it myself.”

 

“Well, that’s definitely a good thing.”

 

Jisoo looked away for a second, took a deep breath, and met my gaze. “All I’m saying is, you make me into a better

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter