Chapter 7

Aiming Higher

Sehun comes back in the house after taking Jimin home. He was worried that those fans and some creep would take advantage of her so he did what any gentlemen would do.

 

"You're home?" 

 

"Yeah. I'm going to go to bed. I feel tired."

 

"Wait," Baekhyun calls. "How do you know Jimin again?"

 

"Just a childhood friend. Why?"

 

"Oh, nothing. Just curious."

 

"Goodnight hyung."

 

"Oh goodnight."

 

Baekhyun didn't know why, but he felt a sort of possessiveness when he found out Sehun knew Jimin. It was like a competition to see who can win the girl over. All he knew was that he didn't want to lose to his dongsaeng. It didn't help that she also knew Kris.

 

 

Jimin's POV

"Yerin! Yerin! Yerin!" I happily call after her. She gets trampled by a massive hug.

 

"What put you in such a good mood?" 

 

"Nothing," I say in a sing song voice.

 

Truth was that I was happy I got to reunite with my childhood friend. Well, and because it's the weekend which meant no school. It was as if I was reliving my primary school days all over again. I felt tempted to go all the way back to my hometown.

 

"Why isn't anyone here yet? I've been waiting for 5 minutes already. Aren't we supposed to meet here?" Yerin asks.

 

"Yep. They're probably just running late. If one of the guys cancel again I'm going to be super pissed."

 

"Jaebum oppa said he's bringing his girlfriend. She wanted to spend time with him so I guess that is how it played out."

 

"That lady. I bet she did it on purpose because she knew we were going to get together today."

 

"Don't say that. She's really nice! She even paid for our drinks once."

 

"She's up to Jaebum's friends to seem like a good person. You have no idea what she is, Yerin. She always glares at me when you guys aren't looking. Jaebum oppa deserves much better; someone that isn't a fake."

 

"She's really nice, Jamie. You just need to get to know her better. Maybe you just misinterpreted her actions."

 

"I'm telling you that isn't it. She's a witch behind that mask of purity. She can kiss my-"

 

"Jimin! Stop judging people. You don't really know her."

 

"You're not even listening to me so why should I even bother," I mumble. 

 

She's a fake and no one can see it. 

 

"What are you talking about? I am listening to you. Stop being so childish."

 

If she were listening then she'd know that she's the one that doesn't know the real her. Maybe I was being childish, but that doesn't change the fact that she is, in fact, still a fake. She'd be one of those girls who change right after marriage so that's why I want Jaebum to be with someone better than her. The fact that Jaebum was really rich also didn't help my suspicions for her go away.

 

"Yerin! Jamie!" A voice beckons. 

 

We turn to the direction of the voice. It released all the tension that was in the atmosphere so I'm glad that person interrupted.

 

"Bambam! It's been forever!"

 

He drapes his arms around our shoulders in a friendly manner making us all laugh. It's been a week or two since we saw each other and that was definitely too long. 

 

"The others are slow walkers so they'll be here any second."

 

"Yerin! Jimin!" 

 

"Jackson!"

 

We all embrace in a hug after not seeing each other in a while. When Jaebum arrives though I didn't hug him. His girlfriend was giving the dirty eye like if I touched him I'd be stuck inside the Great Wall of China. 

 

"Shall we go?" 

 

We sang karaoke until my voice felt like giving up. It probably wasn't a good idea to use your voice like this especially since I attend an art school, but oh wells. Worth it for the fun. 

 

When I was up to sing a duet with Jackson Hopeless Love I could feel the glare that Jaebums girlfriend kept stabbing me with. When I turned around she'd put on this fake smile like she was actually having fun in a room full of her boyfriends friends. It's her fault for coming.

 

The mic was taken out of my hand right when I was going to sing a high note. The Barbie stole it then sang it really well, but I couldn't even care less if she sounded amazing. Everyone cheered for her then started dancing once again. 

 

The first thing that came to my head at that moment was does she mind? Then the next was do you want to die? 

 

"I'm going to get some fresh air," I mumble. I needed to get rid of my annoyance. 

 

I grab my jacket before leaving the stuffy room. I take a step outside of the building then immediately go back in because of how cold it is. Instead, I go to the bathroom.

 

She made me mad just by breathing. She was one of those people who you didn't have to have a reason to hate her, but I could list million of reasons to why I do. I missed my friends so I call to hang out with them. She says she wants to spend time with her boyfriend for the 100th time then our original plans are put on hold because of her. This was one of the times that she came with us instead of her spending time with Jaebum alone. What's her deal?

 

Speaking of the Barbie, she walks in the bathroom to fix her makeup in the mirror. I do the same to not look like I was just standing in here for no reason. 

 

"You should come back and join us. It's not as fun without you," she smiles.

 

I felt the need to roll my eyes at her "kindness". I really couldn't take it anymore. I felt like exploding on her because there is only so much fakeness I can take.

 

"Can you stop? Just leave me alone then we'll both be happy."

 

"I was trying to be a nice friend. Why do you need to be so rude?" 

 

"I'm not being rude. I'm just pointing out the obvious."

 

"I'm trying really hard to become friends with you, Jimin. I don't understand why you're saying this. I'm doing my best."

 

"Here's the thing. You're not even trying. If you were trying I'd already be your friend because that's just my personality. I get along with people easily, and seeing how I don't get along with you means that you're not even putting any effort. If you call eavesdropping on my private conversations and searching through my bag and phone effort then you really need to get yourself checked. Yes, I do see you when you do that so don't act all ignorant. Please, stop with the fake kindness. I have real friends just in the other room so why do I need a fake one?"

 

"I'm your friend's girlfriend. What do you expect me to do? He told me to try to become friendly with you guys so I am."

 

"Then stop doing things that you know I won't like. If you can't do that then leave me out of it."

 

"I don't understand you. I don't understand him for being friends with someone like you. I swear all his friends are retards..." she mumbles. 

 

I slap her. Even if she was Jaebum's girlfriend I wasn't going to let her get away with what she just said.

 

"No one asked you to be here so please stop making it seem like you were forced to come and hang out with 'retards' like us."

 

"You have a habit of acting like you're better than everyone else when in reality you're not. You act all innocent, but you're just a that needs to learn her place. That's why it's hard for me to get along with you because everyone knows that you can't make friends with a ."

 

I swear I heard someone say something similar like that to me before. Was she one of the sasaengs in front of Baekhyun's house? Is that why she is calling me a ? The pieces of the puzzle slowly starts to go in place. 

 

"Hul," I say. "You're even a stalker? Is that why you think I'm a ? Because you know I was at Baekhyun's house yesterday. Was Jaebum really not enough for you so you had to go stalk Baekhyun and his friends too?"

 

She look flustered by what I just said so I leave when I still had the chance. I really couldn't stand being in the same building as her anymore so I left it. The goosebumps and shivers that racing through me were obvious, but I'd rather be out here than in there. 

 

"Why couldn't I have just one fun day with my friends..." I mutter after I've calmed down.

 

She always had to ruin my mood. 

 

I walk back inside the building to go get my stuff and leave. When I approached our room, the door was slightly open but there wasn't any music pouring out of it. Did they already stop singing?

 

"Did she really have to go that far?"

 

"Are you okay? I knew she didn't like you, but I didn't think she would slap you."

 

"Does it hurt? Should I go get some ice?"

 

All these questions were escaping the room while no one even questioned where I was. I've been missing for 20 minutes, but not one of them seemed to care. I was jealous. Hard to believe I was jealous of her. They encircled the crying girl with a red mark on her face. Everyone except Jae who just sat on a chair looking like he wanted to help, but didn't know what to do. 

 

I enter the room only to go immediately to my stuff to start packing. I could sense them staring at me, but I didn't bother to say anything.

 

"Jimin, don't you want to apologize?" A voice questions. I could tell it was Jaebum's because his voice was very distinct.

 

"No... why should I?"

 

"Do I really have to answer that?"

 

"If you want an apology then yes."

 

"Jimin, just apologize," everyone practically pleaded. Their eyes were giving me that look that was worse than pity. 

 

I could feel tears start to well in my eyes so I tried to blink them away. Why am I crying? I had no reason to because I did not do anything wrong. Was I crying because they weren't aware of that fact?

 

"You slapped my girlfriend. Is that not an obvious reason?"

 

"No, it's not. She deserved it or more like she practically pleaded for it."

 

"Stop being stubborn, Jamie. Just apologize," Yerin says. 

 

"Why are you even crying? You don't cry when I slap you, but you cry when there's a crowd. Are you seeking attention or something? Because if you were then you got it and now that you have it you can leave now. Please. Or should I leave?"

 

She started to cry even more if that was even possible. Jaebum looked down at her with a worried expression. He pulled her closer protectively to comfort her. This action made me roll my eyes and scoff.

 

"Do you guys really not see it? I understand that she is your girlfriend, but are you really that blind. Are you so in love that you can't see her flaws? I know I'm not in the position to be saying this stuff, but seeing how oblivious you guys are acting just frustrates me. Should I try to explain to you guys what she is?"

 

"That's enough. Jimin, just stop-"

 

"And why should I do that? Everything I do always has a reason behind it so instead of just assuming that I'm the one that did something wrong you should hear me out. 

 

Actually, I take that back. You guys shouldn't even have to hear my explanation. We've been friends for years, more than you've known her, so is it too much to ask you guys to trust me? If it is then I'll leave because I'm really not in the mood to explain it. It doesn't seem like I am wanted here so I'll just go home." 

 

With that last sentence, I leave. Real tears start falling onto my face, but I quickly wipe them. 

I pay for the karaoke at the counter then escape the building. 

 

Why I was crying I had no clue. Why they didn't trust me I had no clue. I really couldn't believe what just happened. Maybe I did cross the line slapping her, but it wasn't like she deserved it. 

 

The pavement was covered with snow making me even more cold just from looking at it. Times like these I miss Thailand with its warm weather and my hometown. I took the bus to my small apartment.

 

I turned off my phone just in case they wanted to talk to me. I really didn't know how to face them. I said really bad things, and practically implied that they weren't really my friends. Did I just lose my only friends? I really hope not.

 

I debated on whether I wanted to turn my phone on. It laid there on the table with its black screen. I walk back and forth while fidgeting. If I turned it on does it mean that I'll make up with my friends or will it just make me more mad and I'll explode on them again? I really didn't want to repeat what just happened, but if they try to convince me to apologize again I know I probably will explode. 

 

No, I can't. I don't want to lose my friends by yelling at them again. But if I ignore them then we'll never make up. 

 

"What to do. What to do. Ugh, what should I do?" I cry. I face plant onto my bed, ready to dream my worries away. 

 

How am I supposed to face them at school Monday? Bambam, Yugyeom, Jae, and Yerin. I play the possible scenarios in my head if we happened to bump into each other and they all end with us making up and hugging it out or ignoring each other as we pass by.

 

I'll turn it on tomorrow. Yeah, I'll just go to sleep tonight then turn it on tomorrow. That'll work. 

 

What if my mom calls me? She's going to kill me for turning off my phone. I can say I forgot to charge it, but then she'll yell at me for not charging it. 

 

Who cares. Tonight I'll sleep peacefully then I'll deal with everything tomorrow.