Chapter 5

Aiming Higher

"Jimin, is that you?" 

 

I look up to see who it was. There's no way Baekhyun and I can have mutual friends. Especially since I didn't know who Baekhyun was until like 2 days ago.

 

"Kris? Oh my god! Long time no see!" 

 

I grabbed his hand then hugged him which most people would refer to it as the bro hug. I guess this is what Jimin meant when he said I was just one of the guys.

 

"Do you guys know each other?" Baekhyun asks suspiciously.

 

He was giving us a strange look when both Kris and I tried to catch up. 

 

"Yeah, I saw her at Amber's birthday party. We would get together every now and then since we were all foreigners. Well, Jimin isn't a foreigner, but she's fluent in English," Kris explains. 

 

"Kris Oppa, I never knew you were friends with Baekhyun. Well, then again, I didn't know who he was until recently but still."

 

"I didn't know you attended this school either," Kris exclaims.

 

He pats the top of my head which I glare at him for. I try to fix my messed up hair through the car of the window. 

 

"You look more different than you usually do when we'd go out with our friends," Kris points out. 

 

"That's because I don't have any make up or the right outfit on. I look cuter like this, don't I?" 

 

I make a V with my fingers to show how cute I can be. He just rolls his eyes then circles around the car to sit in the drivers seat. Baekhyun sits in the passenger seat while I sit in the back. 

 

There was no music playing, but the atmosphere wasn't awkward. Baekhyun and Kris were having a nice chat about how school was treating him while I just stayed silent looking out the window because I didn't want to bombard on this hyung and dongsaeng moment. 

 

I rest my head on the window then let out a heavy breath. The window becomes fogged and I drew the first thing that came to my mind. I drew a heart. I let out a quiet yawn, feeling tired.

 

"Jamie, sleep if your tired. I'll wake you up when we're there," Kris tells me in English. I'm sure Baekhyun could've understood that really simple sentence. 

 

"Okay thanks."

 

He passes me his spare jacket then I drape them over my shoulders. I wonder how many girls would be envious of me for being with Baekhyun right now. I'll probably die when they find out. I should've partnered up with the group of three because that'd make everything seem much more... innocent? 

 

As we pass by more street lamps, my eyes start to get heavy until I finally fall asleep.

 

 

 

 

"Jimin-ah, wake up."

 

"3 more minutes, mom," I mumble. I curl back into a ball with the small blanket.

 

"Yah! Jimin!" 

 

Wait...

 

I open my eyes startled by the sudden shout. I wince in pain when my head hits something really hard. I immediately put my hand over the injury. When I pressed down I felt pain. Please don't tell me I'm going to get a bruise on my forehead.

 

"Yah! Do you want to die!" I shout at whoever did that.

 

"That was your fault! Why the ouch! I'm going to get a bruise now!" 

 

That voice was too familiar. Where am I?

 

"Kris Oppa? Why didn't you just wake me up gently? You didn't have to shout..." I mumble when I remember where I am. 

 

"I did! Your such a heavy sleeper," Kris shouts in English, a habit of his when he gets frustrated enough to forget to speak in Korean. Usually, he speaks in Chinese though.

 

I get out of the car, making sure I don't accidentally trip because I was still half awake. I slightly stumble, but other than that I stuck the landing really well. I shove Kris' jacket toward him, still pretty mad about getting a bruise on my forehead. 

 

"This was your fault! Why are you mad at me?"

 

I ignore him while trying to fix my hair yet again. I give up after a few attempts to make it at least a bit decent. I finally check the surrounding to where I am at. There lies a huge house bigger than my own. I gap at how beautiful it looked just on the outside. It was so... modern.

 

"Are we at your house?" I ask Baekhyun. 

 

He stuffs his hands in his pockets then looks up at me with a gaze that would make any girl fall for him. I wish that girl was me then I'd forget about Jimin, but it wasn't happening.

 

"Yeah, I dorm with a few of my friends. We're going to practice in my room if that is okay with you. Kyungsoo just called saying he took over the studio with Lee hi and Yerin."

 

"Yeah, that's fine."

 

"Practice with the doors open," Kris instructs. 

 

I roll my eyes like I was annoyed at him, but I was pretty thankful that he said that. I could already picture how awkward it is going to be with just the both of us. The scene of us walking awkwardly down the halls when we went to get paper at school replays in my head and I couldn't help, but cringe.

 

I follow Baekhyun inside the house while Kris leaves the drive way. For them to have a driveway while still in high school was impressive enough. There were people sitting on the living room couch watching TV together. 

 

"I'm home!" Baekhyun says to get their attention. 

 

"Anyeonghaseo," I bow. 

 

Some people were seated on the floor beside the table while enjoying some fruit and some were just resting on the couch. They were watching Running Man on the huge flat screen tv they had. Nonetheless, they were all really good looking. 

 

Both Baekhyun and Kyungsoo are really attractive also so I get why they fit into this group. They look really close to each other.

 

I divert my attention to somewhere else so it wouldn't look like I was staring.

 

"We're going to work on our songs in my room. If possible, please don't bother us."

 

"Leave the door open!" One of them shouts while we walk down the hall. 

 

I really wanted to go hug that person too. These people are so kind.

 

We were at the door of his room and for some reason I was nervous. This wasn't the first time I was in a guys room, but I, for some reason, felt nervous.

 

"You can come in," Baekhyun tells me since I was standing at the door. 

 

"Oh. Okay..."

 

I walk into his room with my hands tightly gripping my backpack straps. Why am I so nervous now n days?

 

"So, I thought about which songs we should sing. I was thinking lucky by Jason Mraz or should we pick a song that has more high notes?"

 

"No, that song is fine. It fits the occasion."

 

He sits on his chair in front of his desk. Beside him laid an empty seat. Should I sit in it or... not. I'll just sit in it since it seems to be meant for me. I put my backpack in front of my feet. He looks up the song on his computer, but a karaoke version of it.

 

"I was thinking I could play the guitar while we sing along."

 

"You can play the guitar?"

 

"No. I'm still learning, but I have a friend that can help me with the chords."

 

He clicks the mouse and the song begins to play. Are we just going to start singing immediately? This abruptly?

 

"Do you hear me, I'm talking to you

Across the water across the deep blue ocean

Under the open sky, oh my, baby I'm trying"

 

I look at him amazed. He has a beautiful voice which made me become nervous if my voice would be able to reach his level. 

 

 

 

"Boy, I hear you-"

 

My throat felt dry at that moment which was obviously the perfect time. My voice cracks which makes me stop singing.

 

"I'm so sorry. I don't know what's wrong with me today," I say.

 

I look away in embarrassment. I could feel the heat rush to my face and my ears burn. 

 

"Do you want some water? I'll go get some."

 

I didn't even have to answer. He went outside of his room to go fetch me some water. What's wrong with me today? I usually am better than this. Especially right now of all moments my voice had to crack. Baekhyun has an amazing voice I had to admit. I'm no where at his level right now. I hum a little bit to warm up my voice.

 

"Boy I hear you in my dreams 

I feel your whisper across the sea

I keep you with me in my heart

You make it easier when life gets hard"

 

My voice came out smoothly when I attempted to sing it again. I was even able to finish a whole verse.

 

"Better, much better Jimin," I mumble to no one other than myself. Maybe it was just because I was nervous.

 

"Here," Baekhyun says once he's back in the room with a glass of water. I gladly accept it then just take a long sip. We start singing once again.

 

 

 

"Do you hear me, I'm talking to you

Across the water across the deep blue ocean

Under the open sky, oh my, baby I'm trying"

 

If I mess up then I'm not going to get boba for a month.

 

"Boy I hear you in my dreams 

I feel your whisper across the sea

I keep you with me in my heart

You make it easier when life gets hard"

 

I sang my part perfectly, and Baekhyun looked impressed. You deserve food after this, Jimin.

 

"Lucky I'm in love with my best friend

Lucky to have been where I have been

Lucky to be coming home again

Ooohh ooooh oooh oooh ooh ooh ooh ooh

 

They don't know how long it takes

Waiting for a love like this

Every time we say goodbye

I wish we had one more kiss

I'll wait for you, I promise you, I will

 

Lucky I'm in love with my best friend

Lucky to have been where I have been

Lucky to be coming home again

Lucky we're in love in every way

Lucky to have stayed where we have stayed

Lucky to be coming home someday

 

And so I'm sailing through the sea

To an island where we'll meet

You'll hear the music fill the air

I'll put a flower in your hair

Though the breezes through the trees

Move so pretty you're all I see

As the world keeps spinning round

You hold me right here right now

 

Lucky I'm in love with my best friend

Lucky to have been where I have been

Lucky to be coming home again

I'm lucky we're in love in every way

Lucky to have stayed where we have stayed

Lucky to be coming home someday

 

Ooohh ooooh oooh oooh ooh ooh ooh ooh

Ooooh ooooh oooh oooh ooh ooh ooh ooh"

 

I felt awkward after singing. I didn't look him in the eye, and just stared at the monitor that had stop playing.

 

"I'll be right back," Baekhyun says. I just nod while not looking in his direction.

 

"Okay."

 

"Yah!" I hear him shout. 

 

I jump sort of startled by his sudden shout. I look back to see what he was yelling at. Some of his friends were laying sprawled on the floor as if they just tripped over each other. I give them a odd look while tilting my head. What are they doing? 

 

"Out now," Baekhyun said with a stern face. 

 

One of them just pats Baekhyun on the back using the worst aegyo I have ever seen, but it was sort of cute in a way.

 

He looked really familiar. 

 

"Aw, hyung."

 

"No. Out. Now."

 

"Okay fine."

 

"Sorry Jimin-ah. My friends have no boundaries," he sighs. 

 

I laugh at his over exaggeration. My friends would've done the same so I don't blame him.

 

"It's okay."

 

"I could learn the cords. Should we pick another song to sing?" 

 

We sang until it became dark outside. The street lamps , more lights were in the house, and the living room became empty after awhile. The laughter I heard outside disappeared, and someone entered Baekhyun's room.

 

"Hyung, do you have extra toothpaste?"

 

"Yeah. Let me get it. I'll be right back."

 

"Thanks, hyung."

 

He leaves the room leaving me with a stranger. A really familiar looking stranger. I swear I have seen him before.

 

"Have we met before?" I ask.

 

His face turns to me with a surprised expression like he didn't expect me to talk to him. 

 

"Um, I don't think so..."

 

"Really? Sorry, you just look really familiar."

 

"Oh."

 

We were submerged in silence. It was as if whoever talked first would lose the nonexistent game. Curiosity got the better of me and I lost.

 

"I'm Park Jimin," I say in attempt to get his name.

 

"I'm Oh Sehun."

 

Oh Sehun? Where have I heard that name before? It was on the tip of my tongue but I just couldn't figure it out.

 

"Oppa?" Daebak.