Chapter 6

Aiming Higher

"Oppa?" Daebak.

 

"Uh, sorry?" he says while scratching the back of his head. He looked weirded out by the sudden oppa. 

 

"It's me, Jamie."

 

"Here's the toothpaste," Baekhyun interrupts. Both our heads turn toward the door. 

 

"Oh, thanks hyung." 

 

Sehun oppa leaves right after that. Does he not remember me? If he did, wouldn't he have at least stayed to catch up? So I guess he didn't remember me.

 

"Should we call it a day?"

 

"Yeah, I'll see you tomorrow."

 

"Are you going to be fine getting home?"

 

"Of course. I'll just take the bus."

 

He walks me out then turns off the kitchen lights. It was cold outside so I put on the extra jacket I had in my backpack. I walk past the driveway, under the street lamp.

 

"Hul, this girl has no shame," a pitchy voice squeaks.

 

I look behind me to just see black silhouettes of what looked like female students. I look at them questioningly since it seemed like they were talking to me.

 

"I'm sorry?" 

 

"Who do you think you are going into our oppa's house?"

 

Oh. They're saesangs? I mean, they're in front of someone's house at 8 so they must be. Wow, Baekhyun's and his friends popularity is the best. The girls weren't even wearing our school uniform.

 

I just roll my eyes in annoyance. Do they know anything about privacy? I walk away from them since I wasn't obligated to talk to them nor were they worth my time.

 

"Yah! I'm talking to you!"

 

I felt a rough pull on my shoulder causing me to fall down. I glare at whoever pushed me to the floor.

 

"Do you want to die?" I yell. 

 

"Oh, this girl has some nerve."

 

I stand up to brush off my uniform. The breeze makes the scrapes on my knees burn. Great, first the bruise on my forehead now this. 

 

"What do you want?" I sneered.

 

"Stay away from our oppa."

 

"I'm sorry. Did you just say your oppa? Do you own him or something? He's his own person too. Respect him as one."

 

"Are you trying to talk down to us? Stop acting like you're any better!"

 

"Never said I was. Now if you'll excuse me, I want to go home."

 

"How annoying!" One of the girls said.

 

I don't know why, but that made me smile. Thanks for the compliment. One of the girls gripped hard onto my arm to stop me from leaving.

 

"What are you guys doing?" a males voice calls from behind the group of sasaengs.

 

It was too dark so I couldn't see who it was. 

 

"Kyungsoo oppa? What are you doing here?" one of the girls says flustered by his sudden appearance.

 

"I live here. Jimin-ah, are you okay?" he says in a concerned tone. 

 

The girls part to make way for him as he approached me. I look at him with a surprised expression. I look down at the floor instead of making eye contact with him. I don't know why, but it was embarrassing like I was caught doing something I shouldn't. 

 

"Yeah, I'm fine." 

 

"What did you guys do?" Kyungsoo scolds once he sees the scrapes on Jimin. 

 

"W-we were just talking," the girl stammers.

 

"Yep because this is just talking."

 

"I'm really okay. It's not that big of a deal," I try to convince.

 

He grabs my arm to lead me inside the house. I just really wanted to go home since it was already late, and I still had some unfinished homework to do. 

 

"I can just go home..."

 

"I'll at least clean you up. You're bleeding if you haven't noticed."

 

I look down to see that blood was starting to drip onto my leg. It looked worst than it felt so I didn't really mind it. 

 

"Oh, it's not that big of a deal. I can just put a bandaid on it when I get home."

 

"Please, it's the least I could do. I feel sort of responsible."

 

I doesn't know how to respond so I just stays silent while he drags her into the house. If I declined would it be rude? 

 

 

 

 

3rd person POV

 

Sehun stirs in bed playing what the random girl had said to him over and over again in his head.

 

It's me. Jamie

 

He had heard this name somewhere before, especially since it's a foreign name. Why does that name sound so familiar? 

 

*FLASHBACK*

 

"Hello! We're your neighbors. We just wanted to welcome you to the neighborhood," Sehun's mother enthusiastically says. She hands the new neighbors Asian apples and some beer. 

 

"Omo thank you! You really didn't have to."

 

Sehun stands there looking bored as he was taken away from his video games to go greet the new neighbors. He had heard that they were from Thailand, but they looked really Korean to him. The lady seemed fluent in Korean also.

 

He absentmindedly looks around him to see a little girl peering at him from the window. They made eyes contact for a millisecond until she closes the curtains to hide. 

 

"Let me introduce you to my daughter. Jimin-ah! Come and greet our neighbors!"

 

She shyly approaches the door with her hair covering her face. She hides behind her mother while saying hello to their neighbors.

 

"I'm sorry. She's usually really outgoing. She's just needs some time to adapt to Korea and all," her mother apologizes. 

 

The little girl rushes upstairs running away from the neighbors. She didn't know much Korean and only spoke the basics. Moving to Korea was a bad idea. She couldn't help but miss Thailand and her friends.

 

"Maybe Sehun can help her."

 

Sehun's ears perk up from the sound of his name. He looks at her mother questioningly. He really just wanted to just go home to play his games. 

 

"Sehun, you should help Jimin at school."

 

"Okay, I will. Can we go home now?" Sehun wines.

 

"Okay, okay. Sorry, he just wants to go play his video games."

 

*END OF FLASHBACK*

 

Sehun sits up right from his bed in shock that it was one of his childhood friends. Why was she with Baekhyun? Were they doing a school project since they were both singing earlier? Baekhyun does attend a Hanlim Multi Art School. He gets out of his comfy bed to question Baekhyun about Jimin. 

 

"Baekhyun hyung!" he calls. 

 

"Yeah! What do you need?" 

 

Baekhyun was in the living room watching TV alone since all the other roommates were in their room by now. He was eating the leftover fruit from the boys little feast earlier.

 

"Who was that girl earlier?"

 

"Someone from school. Why?" 

 

"What were you guys doing?"

 

"Working on a duet. Why?"

 

"She looks younger than you. Why are you guys working on something if you aren't in the same class?" 

 

"Because we have to work on valentine grams for charity. Why?"

 

"What about-"

 

"Why are you asking me this?" Baekhyun says finally irritated by all the questions.

 

"Well, I was just-"

 

The door swings open scaring both Baekhyun and Sehun. Kyungsoo comes in with someone behind him. When Jimin finally gets into view Sehun eyes go directly to the blood on her knees. He rushes to her to see if she was okay. Jimin looks surprised by his straightforwardness and so did everyone else.

 

"What happened?"

 

"Oh, nothing..."

 

"Some of our fans did this. This is really getting out of hand," Kyungsoo explains. 

 

"Let me go get the first aid kit," Baekhyun says.

 

"Here let me help you."

 

Kyungsoo and Sehun try to help her to the couch. She looks flustered by the sudden attention.

 

"I can walk by myself. No, really I'm not even that badly hurt. Actually it doesn't even hurt." 

 

Kyungsoo lets me go, but Sehun was still insistent on bringing her to the couch. He wouldn't let go of her arm which made her feel appreciative, but she really didn't need it.

 

"Sehun-ssi, I told you already that I can walk by myself," she says with more authority. 

 

"Yah! Sehun-ssi? It's Sehun oppa."

 

"Sehun oppa, I said I can walk by myself. Now if you would let me go."

 

She takes her arm out of his grip. Not in a rough way, but gently and respectfully. She goes to the couch herself with no ones help.

 

"Here," Baekhyun gives the first aid kit to Kyungsoo.

 

"I'll do it," Sehun offers.

 

He takes the kit out of Kyungsoo's hands to do it himself. He kneels down in front of Jimin, opens the first aid kit, then begins putting medicine on the scab.

 

"I'm going to wash up," Kyungsoo says. Baekhyun pretends to leave the room also, but he sits in the hallway listening to their conversation out of curiosity. 

 

"I thought I taught you better. Dealing with bullies should've been a piece of cake for you," Sehun says. 

 

"I thought you didn't remember me."

 

"It took me awhile to remember your name, but I could never forget you."

 

"Wow, you had to try to remember me?" Jimin says disappointedly. She said it in a serious manner, but she was actually joking in a way. 

 

"It's been so long. You've grown up. How am I supposed to recognize you?" 

 

"I'm joking. It took me awhile to remember you too. You've changed a lot."

 

"You mean I got more attractive?" Sehun jokingly says.

 

"Yeah right. Stop being so cocky. You did get really rich though. I mean, look at your house."

 

"What? Do you want me now that I'm rich?"

 

"No," Jimin laughs. 

 

"I dorm with 9 other guys so it only makes sense that we have this big of a house. Plus, one of them is part of a rich family who has connections."

 

"...I was surprised when you said you were moving to Seoul. Did you end up going to a performing arts school?"

 

"Yeah, I went to SOPA. Looking at your uniform, you went to Hanlim."

 

"Yep. We just had to be going to rival schools," Jimin laughs.