Chapter 3

Aiming Higher

"Yerin, I'm going to go get some fresh air. I feel a bit claustrophobic right now."

 

"Okay..."

 

It felt as if there was no oxygen in the room. I speed walk down the stairs then out the front door. Goosebumps cover my body as I shiver from the cold. Pure white snow falls at that moment.

 

"Perfect timing," I mumble to myself. 

 

"Yah, Jimin. What are you doing outside?" Jungkook asks. 

 

He walks out the front door, and it felt awkward to make eye contact with him for some reason. Instead I stared at the floor while responding.

 

"It felt stuffy in there so I just went for some fresh air," I sigh. "I'll go in soon."

 

"Don't stay out too long. You'll catch a cold."

 

I nod then he leaves making me the only one outside on this street at this moment. I oddly enough didn't want to be alone. I really wanted someone to talk to even if I had nothing to talk about. I guess I just really want someone's company. Life is pretty lonely. 

 

I take out my phone to call my one and only friend, Jae. I put the phone to my ear that felt as cold as ice. I breath out heavily watching the white smoke flutter in the air.

 

"Hello?"

 

"Jae, what are you doing right now?"

 

"I'm just hanging with the guys. What's up?"

 

I debated on telling him that I'm at a coffee shop that has the guy I was rejected by in it. I already told him about me being rejected, and he was there to comfort me. Even when I told him to leave me alone, he was there which I am really grateful for. 

 

"Jimin, are you okay?" Jae asks on the other line. I snap back to reality, and realize there was a silence between the call.

 

"Yeah, I'm fine. Go have fun with the guys. I'll call you tonight."

 

"I'm free to talk right now if you need me."

 

"Hey, Jae. What's the hold up?" Someone on the other line shouts.

 

"I'll talk about it tonight. Bye, I'm hanging up now."

 

I stuff the phone back into my pocket. I need to stop relying on Jae whenever I feel lonely. He isn't always going to be by my side forever, and he's a busy person. Me disturbing him is just inconvenient for him. Especially if I feel lonely everyday. Thinking about him not being by my side is a scary thought. 

 

I really wish I had some hand warmers right now. I hold onto the freezing cold handle, walk into the coffee shop, and trudge my way up the stairs. 

 

I felt my palms begin to sweat even if I was just out in the freezing cold. I was really nervous even though I had no reason to be. I didn't do anything wrong. I really didn't, but why does it feel like I did?

 

"Jimin-ah, over here," Kyungsoo says from across the room. 

 

I keep my eyes trained on the floor so I wouldn't accidentally make eye contact with Jimin. The stares of the others were like lasers. Even if I couldn't see him and his friends I could feel the stares and probably judging looks of how shameless and desperate I am for showing up in front of someone I like and was rejected by. I pretend I didn't notice anything as I approached our table.

 

"Sorry, did I miss anything?" I said while putting my stuff down.

 

I sit in the empty seat next to Jungkook and Yerin.

 

"We were thinking of selling the grams tomorrow during lunch for maybe 3,000. Also, to make grams go faster, we should split into groups when we're singing," Baekhyun explains. I nod as he talks. 

 

"Did you guys order the roses yet?" I ask. 

 

"Yeah, we did. Let's just hope it is enough."

 

"If anything we can always order more," Soohyun adds in. 

 

Buzz.

 

I took out my phone while everyone was still talking. I know it seems rude, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind because we live in the 21st century.

 

Stupid Jae: Remember to call me. Don't forget like you usually do.

 

I don't bother to respond, and go back to the conversation everyone was having. 

 

"We should quickly finish these grams before we do anything else," I say. 

 

Everyone agrees with me, and we start working on the grams once again. My hand felt numb after 10 minutes of drawing and making straight lines. I warm my hand up with my hot chocolate which I was thankful that Jungkook Op- I mean Jungkook-ssi paid for.

 

"Do you guys want me to send the songs to you? I took a picture of it before we erased it."

 

"Yes, please do."

 

I put on a pair of earbuds in the mean time until we were about done with the grams. I play 24/7 by Kehlani. I was starting to regret not printing all of them out instead of drawing them, but hand drawing them seemed more meaningful. 

 

"Jungkook, were leaving now," I heard someone on the other side of the room call. 

 

I fought the urge to look up, but looked at Jungkook instead. He stayed silent with a rather annoyed look on his face. Did I miss something? 

 

My hot chocolate was empty, my hand was aching, and I was starving. The only good thing about this moment was that we finally finished the grams and Jimin was no where to be seen. 

 

"To think we still have so much work to do. Should we pair up?" Lee Hi yawned. Everyone reluctantly says yes. 

 

"This was so not worth just a whole day of missing school," Baekhyun grumbled. I couldn't help, but agree with him.

 

"How should we pair up? I think it should be at least one male and female."

 

"Yerin and Jimin shouldn't be together since there will be one boy and two girls. They can both hit high notes," Lee Hi says. 

 

I take it as if she didn't compliment me because I didn't want it to become burdensome. 

 

"I think both Lee Hi and Yerin should be in one group. Their voices compliment each other. One of you guys can join and it'll be a complete group," I said.

 

"I'll go with them," Kyungsoo says. 

 

"Jungkook and Soohyun can pair up then you and I can pair up," Baekhyun says to me.

 

I don't complain and just nod. Jungkook and Soohyun have really soothing voices so it'd be perfect. 

 

"We'll sell the grams during lunch so let's meet up at class 3-A then go on from there," I say.

 

"Jimin, meet me at the front of the school after class. We'll just go to my studio to practice the song."

 

"Okay, see you guys tomorrow." 

 

We all say our goodbyes to each other. Instead of me taking the box this time, Jungkook does. I really need to properly get him something to thank him. I walk down the stairs with Yerin by my side.

 

"You totally missed it," Yerin whispers when everyone was out of range. "Jungkook had a huge fight with his hyungs earlier. It looked like they were going to punch each other at any second."

 

"Why?" I ask curiously. I love gossip, but honestly doesn't every girl? Gossip makes me feel grateful that I have a more drama free life than them.

 

"I have no idea. Jungkook just said they should leave, but one of his hyungs were reluctant. Even his other hyungs were telling him to get up and leave, but boy is that guy stubborn. They started complaining about who was older and how Jungkook has been disrespecting them for awhile now. Jungkook, being the golden maknae that he is, just walked away saying fine, do whatever you want."

 

"Ooo, that sounded bad. Luckily I wasn't there for that."

 

"My ride is here. See you tomorrow Jamie," Yerin waves. I wave back at her then call my dad to pick me up since he shouldn't be working right now. Or at least I don't think so.