Chapter 4

Aiming Higher

"Yah, Jungkook!" Jimin shouts from the living room. Jungkook had just entered his dorm, and was already being called over by his hyung.

 

"Yes, hyung," Jungkook says obediently. He didn't want to make his hyung more mad than he already was.

 

"Do you know what you did wrong? Or should it be me admitting that I did something wrong?"

 

"Sorry, hyung."

 

Jungkook was standing in front of Jimin with his hands in front of him. His face was looking toward the floor. 

 

Jin comes out of the room with an annoyed look on his face. He was trying to study, but couldn't with these people yelling really loud.

 

"Jimin, take it easy. You were wrong too. You should've just left the cafe," Jin says. 

 

"But hyung! It's-"

 

"No buts. I don't want to hear it. Both of you are wrong. Now stop yelling and making a ruckus. I better not hear either of you bringing this up again. Now move on with your lives."

 

Jimin rolls his eyes which Jin found disrespectful. Jin hits the back of his head then dares him to do it again.

 

"Okay, okay. I'll stop," Jimin caves in. Jin goes back into his room when he finally thinks they'd stop fighting.

 

Jungkook awkwardly stood there while Jimin sat back down on the couch in the living room. He was debating on going back to his room or trying to talk it out with Jimin. Jimin finally breaks the silence.

 

"Just wondering... did she say anything?" Jimin asks in a concerned tone.

 

Jungkook looks up at his hyung with a surprised expression. Did his hyung actually care about Jimin? 

 

"No, she didn't... Do you know her or something?"

 

"She was my teacher, I guess. She volunteered to help me with my singing. She acted like one of the guys so I considered as one. When she confessed I was really taken back. I care about her, Jungkook. I really do, but I don't like her.

 

Jungkook took awhile to take this in. Were they close? She was even talking to this other guy at the cafe. They must've been close too since she put his caller ID as Stupid. 

 

Jungkook had accidentally looked at her phone because it just caught his attention. He felt bad for looking, but it wasn't intentional.

 

"...you can stop caring now," Jungkook mutters. 

 

Jimin looks at Jungkook with a confused look on his face. Was Jungkook implying that he'd take care of her?

 

"What do you mean by that?"

 

"Nothing. I have a lot of homework to do. Goodnight, hyung."

 

Jimin's POV

I blast classical music through my phone while I complete my homework. I can't concentrate listening to anything other than classical. A load of bricks were released from my shoulders when I completed everything. The digital clock read 11:47 pm which made life feel so short. 

 

I FaceTime Jae like I promised to just a few hours ago. While the phone rings I get off my chair, and crash onto my bed. My hair was wrapped in a towel from when I showered just earlier, but I didn't really care since it was just Jae. If it was Jimin though that'd be a whole other story.

 

"Yes, Jimin-ah."

 

He was laying in bed with only a quarter of his face showing. Half of his face was sunken into his pillow with the blanket pulled up all the way to his mouth. He looked really fluffy at that moment.

 

"Oppa, guess who I saw today?"

 

"Who'd you see?"

 

"So, you know how I'm doing that gram thing with Jungkook, Yerin, and them. Well, Jungkook recommended we go to this cafe to finish the grams, but I guess since he hangs out with Jimin and stuff they know the place too. So I heard his laugh from upstairs, and that was when I went outside then called you. You seemed busy so I just hung up, and stood outside for a good few minutes. I went back inside, and you have no idea how nerve wrecking it was. I had the urge to, but I didn't even glance at them. It was so embarrassing. I bet my whole face was red at that moment. I must've looked like so desperate to him."

 

"I don't think you did anything wrong. Although, looking from his point of view, you might've seemed like you were trying to get his attention. Did Jungkook tell them that it was his idea to meet at the cafe, and not yours? That might've cleared up the misunderstanding."

 

"I don't know. Apparently Jungkook and his hyungs had a fight while I was gone. He told them to leave, but one of them were being stubborn. Then they had this fight about who was older or something. I'm just relaying what Yerin told me so I didn't actually witness it to know the exact details."

 

"Maybe Jungkook knew that you confessed to Jimin, felt guilty for bringing you to the same place as him, and told them to leave."

 

"Psh, I doubt it. What kind of guy brags about rejecting a girl?"

 

"A lot of guys, Jamie. It's not like they're bragging about rejecting a girl, but it's more like they're bragging about getting confessed to by many girls."

 

"Oh, I guess that makes sense. So, did anything eventful happen to you today?"

 

"No, nothing as eventful as yours."

 

"I'm going to dry my hair real quick. Be right back."

 

I leave my phone on my bed then go to the bathroom. I unwrap my hair from the towel to reveal my very damp hair. I blow it dry with my pink hair dryer. After I was done, I snuggle in my blanket then grab my phone again.

 

"Okay, I'm b-"

 

Jae had already fallen a asleep. His phone was slowly slipping out of his hands until it completely fell onto his blanket, showing only the ceiling now.

 

Awww how cute. I press end then finally go to sleep myself.

 

 

 

"Here you go," I say as I give the person a gram.

 

We decided to sell the grams during lunch and after school. We already sold a lot of them during lunch. We might even have to make more at this rate.

 

"Jimin, a hyung of mine usually picks me up so he'll pick us up today then take us to my studio. You okay with that?" Baekhyun asks as he tries to keep the line for grams straight. I nod since I was talking to people who wanted to buy grams.

 

"Next," I say. "Jae, whose the lucky girl?" 

 

He approaches the table while pushing his glasses up. He gives me the money, I give him a gram, then he writes in it. 

 

"I'm sending one to you because I know you won't get one."

 

"Ouch," I wince. 

 

It was true though. What a sad life I'm living. A smile was still on my face even when I tried to wipe it off.

 

"Do you want me to send you one too?"

 

"Why that'd be my honor. Your money is going to a good cause after all."

 

"Bye, see you tomorrow."

 

He hands me the gram then I put it in a stack. 

 

"Did you tell the others to meet at my place yet?"

 

"Yeah, did you tell Yerin yet?"

 

I flash him a thumbs up then he leaves. The line begins to shorten until there was no one left. All of us felt tired, but still had lots to do.

 

I get an empty gram, and write one to Jae. I decided to write in English instead of Korean since Jae is better at reading in his 1st language.

 

An ahjumma once told me that I should keep you close because I might never find someone like you ever again. I couldn't sleep that night because I kept thinking of you not being by my side. Scary thought, isn't it? 

 

You really are someone who I can rely on. It's become a habit now n days to call you when I'm feeling down. I really need to stop doing that.

 

You have no idea how grateful I am towards you. Thanks for putting up with me for all these years, Jae. I would be an emotional wreck if it weren't for you. 

 

Love, 

         Jimin AKA your best friend

 

"Who are you writing to?" Yerin asks.

 

"Jae Oppa. Read it. Do you think I'm being too sincere? Should I take out the first paragraph?"

 

"Aigoo, you're too cute jimin. This letter is just fine. Leave it as it as."

 

I take out my wallet to put in 3,000 won. I fold my the card neatly then put it in a box with stacks and stacks of grams. 

 

"Let's each take a box and organize them by grade level and class. Soohyun, let's go," Jungkook said. 

 

We all go our separate ways with boxes in each of our hands. It wasn't that the box was heavy this time, but it was just really big and hard to hold. 

 

I was trailing behind baekhyun, but could only see the tip of his hair while I was walking. The rest of my view was just a big brown box.

 

"Oh hyung!" Baekhyun waves. 

 

Did we reach the car already? 

 

"You can put the boxes in the back seats." 

 

The box was taken out of my hand then I slightly bow at whoever it was.

 

"Jimin, is that you?"