Chapter 1

Aiming Higher

"B-but teacher! Why me? There are plenty of other students who are willing to?" I pout. 

 

"Because you have an amazing voice that people would love to hear for valentine grams. Stop complaining. It's not like you're going to be the only one singing. Baekhyun, Kyungsoo, Lee Hi, Soohyun, Jungkook, and Yerin will be singing with you."

 

"B-but," I flash him a puppy dog face to try to convince him. 

 

"No, you're going to do it. Look on the bright side. You get to skip class to pass out grams."

 

Hearing this automatically brightens my face.

 

"Deal. You better not assign too much homework while I'm gone."

 

"Okay. Okay," he shakes his head. "What to do with this girl?" 

 

He hands me a packet of paper then I leave the classroom. I quickly skim the packet then look for the classroom I'm supposed to go to. 

 

"Class 3-A, 3-A, 3-A," I mumble as I pass by a handful of classrooms.

 

It was after school which meant only a few students lingered around in the classrooms. Most students were at a tutoring school or at club.

 

I walk into class 3-A to find a handful of students just sitting around.

 

"Annyeonghaseyo," I greet as I enter the classroom. 

 

"Jimin! I didn't know you were going to do this too," Yerin says. I don't bother responding, and come up to hug her. 

 

"Did you guys start selling anything yet?" I ask. I take a seat next to Yerin. The desks were arranged in a circle so we could all talk.

 

"Not yet. We don't know what to sell. We're thinking of selling chocolates?" Jungkook questions. Chocolates automatically makes me think of Jimin, and I try to shake the thought of him out of my head. It didn't help that Jungkook was in his tight group of friends.

 

"Too expensive don't you think?"

 

"Yeah, that's why we're still thinking."

 

I try to think of something to sell that reminds me of Valentine's Day.

 

"How about fake roses or balloons? Those are cheap and affordable," I suggest. 

 

"Yeah, why won't we just do that," someone says. I felt bad that I didn't already know their name.

 

"I'm sorry, but I don't know your names," I say to the two boys sitting next to me. I remember the teacher telling me, but I couldn't remember.

 

"You don't know us?" the guy says. I felt guilty when he said that. The other guy elbows him in the stomach. 

 

"I'm Kyungsoo and this is Baekhyun," the guy says.

 

"Nice to meet you. I'm Jimin."

 

"You must be a 1st year then if you don't know our names," Baekhyun says. 

 

"No, I'm a 2nd year. I'm sorry I was never good with names," I apologize.

 

"Mhm. Okay so now that we picked roses, since balloons are too much of a hassle, we should pick what song we want to sing," he changes the subject.

 

"I was thinking of that one song by bolbbalgan4. The one that says cause I'm your pilot anywhere?" Yerin suggests.

 

"Okay," Lee Hi stands up to write it on the chalk board since she was the closes. We all turn around to face the board.

 

"We could do I think I'm in love again?" Soohyun adds in.

 

A list of songs were put up on the chalk board until there was nearly no room left to write anything else.

 

We started to move all the desks to the side of the classroom so we could have room to work on the floor. 

 

"I'll go get some paper," I say as they continue to move them.

 

"I'll come with you," Baekhyun says. I just nod and leave the classroom without him. I didn't leave a good impression and still won't try to because all I did is not know his name and he got all defensive.

 

"Hey, wait up," he calls. I don't speed up my walk or slow it down. He runs after me then keeps the same pace I'm walking at.

 

"What colors should we get? Pink, red, and white?" I ask.

 

"Yeah, that's fine. We should make a couple of posters and a banner to promote the grams too." 

 

"Okay..." we then we're drowned in awkward silence. Why did the room have to be so far away?

 

"What talent did you use to get into the school?" He asks, trying to make conversation. I take the bait.

 

"Singing. What about you?" 

 

"Same here. I've never heard you sing before. I'm looking forward to it."

 

"Likewise."

 

We were then silent again.

 

"Do you really not know who we are?" Is this guy still hung up about that?

 

"Am I supposed to know who you are?" I question.

 

"No, but I was just taken by surprise."

 

"Fine, then tell me who you are Baekhyun," I challenge. He seemed to be confused by what I meant.

 

"What do you mean by that?" 

 

"I mean why am I supposed to know you? Are you in a kpop group or something that I don't know about?"

 

"No, not that. Kyungsoo and I are part of that group of guys who are practically the most popular in this whole school."

 

I probably don't know you because I've been looking at another group of guys.

 

"Ah, I see. How many of you are there again?"

 

"9 of us."

 

We reach the storage room with a bunch of paper in it. We pick out all the paper we need for the grams, posters, and banner. We walk back to the classroom with stacks of papers in our hands.

 

"Do you have anyone in mind to give one to?" He tries to make conversation again.

 

"I did. Let's hope I can find someone else to give one to," I sigh. "What about you?"

 

"Nope, but let's hope I can find someone too."

 

"I'd rather not be doing this because it just reminds me that I'll be alone forever," I laugh. "But you get to skip class so I guess I can just endure it."

 

"Same, I didn't want to do this at first, but my teacher convinced me by saying we get to skip class."

 

"Wow, how evil of them."

 

We reached the classroom and began to work on the grams which would just be a card where anyone can write anything inside as they pleased for the person they were giving it to.

 

Jungkook and Kyungsoo were cutting the paper while Baekhyun was folding them. Soohyun, Lee Hi, and I were drawing on the front of the cards, and making lines so people can write of the card. Yerin was working on the poster designs and banner since she had the nicest handwriting.

 

The sun began to fall, my back started to ache, and my eyes were getting heavy. We made about 500 and some were still incomplete until we called it a day.

 

We pushed the tables back to where they were, stacked the cards in a box, and rolled up the banners and posters. 

 

"I can keep the stuff," I tell them. 

 

"Where should we meet tomorrow because I think anime club has this room tomorrow," Kyungsoo asks.

 

"Library? Or there's this coffee shop near my place that's probably less crowded than a library," Jungkook replies.

 

"Yeah, that'll do."

 

"Should we exchange phone numbers so we can contact each other?" Soohyun suggests. Everyone agrees to it. I take a picture of the chalkboard before we erase it. 

 

We all went our separate ways. I began to regret offering to keep the boxes because they were really hard to carry as I walked home.