Part 1 - Chapter 9

I Wanna Love
Please log in to read the full chapter

9

Niel patrolled his department looking for potential customers, his mind was elsewhere though. He couldn’t stop thinking about the man he had seen a week ago. The man with the beautiful hands. Niel had long since decided he wasn’t attracted to the man but to his graceful fingers instead. Niel had also finally accepted that perhaps his uality was fluid and there was a possibility for him to be attracted to a man. Which led to the distraction Niel now had: how the hell was he going to find his mystery kisser in this crazy city?

Because, while he found the man with the lovely hands interesting, he didn’t feel the overwhelming desire he felt when he thought of that drunken night. It was like he was a thirsty alcoholic and if the man from the café was water, the man from the club was a fine wine. Sure, he probably could have sated the thirst with a pretty handed man, but why would he want to if wine was an option?

Wine isn’t an option. Pointed out the voice in Niel’s head that sounded decidedly like Chanhee. Niel chose to ignore it, of course wine was an option. He had found the man before, he would do it again.

This city is huge, how the hell are you planning to find him? The Chanhee in Niel’s head asked reasonably. Shut up, me, I’ll work something out. Niel dismissed as he spotted someone idling around the bowties.

-----------------------------------

Changhyun was in his usual place; behind the ornate desk he used at work, furiously typing and sorting the chaos that was Mr Worthington’s work life. His brows were knitted as he peered at the schedule. One specific entry stood out.

Thursday 10:30am HiVex financial meeting.

That was new. That was horrible. That was Evan’s company. . . Dammit. Evan was coming to Hong Kong.

Changhyun glared at the new entry, willing it to vaporise through his wrath. It sat obstinately on the page.

, he cursed once more in his mind. What was worse was how freaked out he was by the thought of Evan being in Hong Kong. He hated himself for being so weak about it. Without really thinking too much about it Changhyun picked up his phone and dialled Jonghyun. Before the call had even connected through Changhyun hung up again and put his head in his hands. He wasn’t sure he should call Jonghyun. He knew Jonghyun was working today. They were getting together later tonight to celebrate his first week at the café.

“Ricky? Are you alright, my boy?” Mr Worthington’s proper voice asked from the doorway to his office.

Changhyun’s head shot up. He cleared his throat awkwardly.

“Oh. Yes sir, I’m fine. Thank you.” Changhyun replied softly.

“Why don’t you step in here for a moment.” The Englishman said, it wasn’t a question but a gentle command.

Changhyun nodded and stood, straightening his jacket and tie before selecting a pen and his notepad. Mr Worthington disappeared through the door and a moment later Changhyun followed him, closing the door behind him.

Mr Worthington’s office was spacious, tall bookshelves lined the right wall, the books were interspersed with nick-knacks from around the world. The desk occupied the rear of the room, broad and mahogany, an antique from England of course. The left wall was mostly windows and various pot plants. In the corner nearest the door there was a small sofa, Changhyun usually sat there to take notes during meetings. Today, however, he took the comfortable chair across the desk from his boss.

------------------------------------

Byunghun watched the newbie bussing tables; his tall, broad form stooping to collect dirty cups and plates. It was a relatively quiet period and Elton was on his break. Jinsu had most likely snuck out of the kitchen for a smoke, so it was just Byung and Jonghyun.

Jonghyun glanced at Byunghun as he walked into the kitchen with his load of dirty dishes. When he emerged a while later he approached Byunghun at the machine. Byunghun didn’t bother to suppress his y expression.

“Hi.” Jonghyun began lamely.

“Hi.” Byung said almost mockingly.

An expression of irritation flickered over Jonghyun’s face but it cleared quickly.

“I was wondering, if you have time, some time, if you could teach me how to make a coffee?” Jonghyun said evenly.

Byunghun looked him up and down, one eyebrow raising.

“I guess so.” Byunghun eventually conceded.

“Great.” Jonghyun smiled.

Byunghun nodded and pulled down a cup.

“Did you want a coffee?” Byunghun asked begrudgingly.

“Oh. That would be awesome. Thank you.” Jonghyun went so far as to bow. Byunghun’s scowl deepened.

“It’s no big deal, ok?” He huffed and turned the grinder on.

--------------------------------

Jonghyun suppressed a sigh as Byunghun remained snippy and quiet around him. He had been there a week, working almost every shift with Byunghun and the elder still hadn’t loosened up. Jonghyun had no idea what he had done to piss him off, but obviously Byunghun didn’t like him. Searching for anything else to do Jonghyun wet a rag and began wiping tables. The coffee machine whirred as Byunghun made his coffee.

“Here, you stupid giant.” Byunghun set the cup of coffee beside the register.

“Thanks.” Jonghyun nodded and then he grinned. So that was it. Byunghun was pissed at him because he was taller. “Ah, sunbaenim?” Jonghyun began, Byunghun glowered at the title. “Never mind.” He stopped again.

With deliberate movements, he sipped the coffee, it was always so good. Byunghun was a master.

“It’s really good. Thank you.” Jonghyun said.

“No problem. And don’t call me sunbaenim.” Byunghun grouched.

“What should I call you?” Jonghyun asked, sipping his coffee again.

Byunghun shrugged moodily. Jonghyun suppressed a laugh.

-----------------------

Chanhee pressed his fingers into his temples, his eyes were shut as he prayed to God for patience. In truth, he felt like bashing his head against the desk repeatedly but that wouldn’t get him very far. With a deep, slow sigh he opened his eyes and clicked the next email in the list. A maintenance request response. The door to the office opened quietly behind Chanhee, he held his breath.

“Uh, Troy? Got a second?” Steven asked nervously.

Chanhee bit down on his bottom lip to contain the loud curse word on the tip of his tongue.

“Yup, come on in.” Chanhee called and swivelled around in his chair to face Steven. He was a young, Caucasian with fashion stubble on his jaw. Beneath the stubble was a weak chin, his hair was naturally blond in a similar shade to Chanhee’s dyed hair. Whenever Chanhee saw it he itched to dye his own a different colour. Then there were the suits, they never fit him quite the way they should. Beneath the shirt was a pudgy soft centre, beneath Chanhee’s was toned abs (he did just enough to keep them that way). Not to mention his bottom button was always fastened, Chanhee suppressed a wince whenever he saw it.

Steven strode into the room, trying to appear confident. He sat in the chair adjacent to Chanhee’s desk in the cramped office.

“So, I talked to the Van der Linden’s, they refused to contact their travel agent, they told me it’s our fault and we should compensate them.” Steven said rapidly, as though pulling off a band-aid.

Chanhee held back a sigh.

“Steven, we can’t compensate them.” Chanhee stressed, “Their travel agent didn’t book the room for the amount of time they want to stay. That room is booked for the next four days by someone else. What we can do for them is move this new guest into a similar room on the floor and leave the Van der Linden’s in that room. However, they’ll need to pay those extra nights, either through their travel insurance if its covered, through the travel agent granting recompense or through their own expense. But we categorically cannot give them the room for free.”

Steven nodded along, panic in his green eyes.

“Please…” Chanhee paused, gathering his anger in hand. “What did you tell them?” He tried again.

“I told them I couldn’t confirm anything until I had asked you.” Steven mumbled, not meeting Chanhee’s eyes. Chanhee nodded. At least he hadn’t told them he would compensate them, Steven had learned that lesson the hard way.

------------------------------

Minsu sat at a folding table in the middle of the market, a bowl of noodles steaming in front of him. He was jamming hot ramen into his mouth while his other hand worked on his phone. He was stringing tracks into a playlist, experimenting with a set list. Minsu tried to pretend he wasn’t nervous. It wasn’t even that close, or even a good timeslot. This wasn’t even his first gig; no, that gig had been memorable for other reasons. But this was the first time he would played his own music, his own creations. He lined a few up and clicked play. Setting the phone down and picking his bowl up Minsu listened closely.

Well, in the beginning he listened closely, somehow his mind wandered again. Back to that first gig. The night that changed his life.

Minsu escorted his new, stumbling friend to the bathrooms to dry himself off, he appeared to be covered in someone’s drink. As the Goby Fish dried off Minsu leant against the wall outside the bathroom, waiting for him to return. He assured himself it was because he didn’t want those two bullies to come back, and definitely not because he was irrationally attracted to this guy.

When the stranger returned, he seemed surprised to find Minsu still there, waiting.

“Where are your friends?” Minsu asked, straightening.

“They’re dancing!” The little fish leant up to yell in Minsu’s ear, his breath brushing the shell of Minsu’s ear. Goose bumps raced across his neck.

“Lead the way.” Minsu replied.

Suddenly his new friend linked their hands and pulled Minsu back towards the heaving mass. He followed obediently, heart thumping a little harder than normal.

“Minsu!” The stall holder was yelling at him, trying to get his attention. Minsu started from his daze and removed his headphones.

-------------------------

Niel approached the lady examining the bowties and offered a polite, “Hello, can I help you today?” In English. The woman glanced up as though she hadn’t expected him to be there. After a moment, she smiled. The woman was in her sixties with the effortless grace that some women of that age adopted. Her angled blonde bob framed a kind face and there were more smile-lines than frown-creases in her few wrinkles.

“Oh,” She spoke in a rather musical voice, “No, thank you. I was just considering what my husband would look like in a bowtie. Particularly this one with the red and white polka dots.” She mused. Niel smiled along with her, nodding slightly.

“My personal favourite is the paisley blue and purple.” He said quietly, pointing to the one he meant.

“Oh, yes, that would probably clash horrendously with everything.” She laughed, “Anyway, I don’t need any help. Thank you though, I’m just looking around.”

“Ok, just ask if you need anything.” Niel smiled in the sweet customer service way he had mastered before wandering away to straighten stock on a shelf.

As he reorganised the stacks of button-up shirts, Niel wondered about this woman and her husband. He was rarely like that with Jilly, he never stopped to look at things she might like, unless it was her birthday or Christmas. He wondered if perhaps that was one of the reasons they hadn’t worked out. Another thing he couldn’t seem to let go of was Chanhee’s slip that they hadn’t liked Jilly at first. In fact, Chanhee had made it sound almost like they hadn’t liked Jilly at all. Niel frowned. How could he be this hopeless at love? Love was so simple for Chanhee and Byunghun.

--------------------------------------

Changhyun sat across from Mr Worthington, laying his notebook in his lap and resisting the urge to click his pen rapidly. From his boss’s tone of voice this was not a business conversation. Mr Worthington was gazing at Changhyun over his fingertips, his blue eyes piercing but kind.

“I just happened to be wandering past and I noticed you doing the updates on the schedule.” Mr Worthington began, using his ‘I’m treading carefully’ voice. Changhyun usually heard him use that style of speaking with client’s teetering on the edge of a decision he didn’t want them to make.

“Yes, sir. I was just adjusting for the new inclusions. It looks like tomorrow will be busy for you.” Changhyun kept his voice neutral.

An eyebrow raised and Mr Worthington replied with a simple, “Yes, indeed.” His voice was desert dry. Changhyun tried to keep his face impassive but he knew his eyes gave him away.

“Ricky, my boy, I know you had some business or other going on with Evan Coultlier.” Mr Worthington spoke straight, laying his hands in his lap, “I don’t really care about what it was.” The look in his eye told Changhyun he knew exactly what it was. “But I gathered it ended a while ago now…” He continued, “As such, this meeting I have tomorrow is with Evan Coultlier.” He paused.

“Yes, sir.” Changhyun struggled out through his constricted throat.

“Unfortunately, you won’t be able to attend as I’ve just found that the Hillsbury files require your attention. I trust the task to no one except you, because you see, my boy, we are a team. I’m a general and you’re my colonel.”

Changhyun smirked, he was still outranked in that description but it was in good humour.

“I understand, sir.” He nodded, “And what exactly am I doing with the Hilsbury files? We haven’t looked at them in almost 3 months now.”

“Some of the file’s checkoff lists are incomplete.”

“Uhh…Yes, I know sir, I found that discrepancy three months ago, when I last looked at them. You told me it could go on the back burner because we were closing the Volsgen deal.” Changhyun said.

“Oh no, I’m sure I’d remember something like that. I found it just this morning while you were out there, whiling away your time, taking my money and doing nothing as always.” The blue eyes sparkled with mischief.

“Of course, sir.” Changhyun grinned and nodded. “So tomorrow you’ll go to the meeting on your own?”

“Yes. And you’ll stay here and do some actual work.” Mr Worthington nodded in his dismissive way.

Changhyun stood and bowed politely, “Of course, sir. If that was all…?”

The Englishman nodded. Straightening his jacket and tie again, Changhyun turned for the door. He smiled quietly to himself as he strolled back out to his desk.

------------------------------------

Byunghun wiped his bench and coffee machine, frowning at the chrome grating. He didn’t want to like this new employee, new employees didn’t usually last very long and Byunghun found all of them wanted to be the barista. None had the passion or drive for coffee like Byunghun, Feng and Youngjin and therefore none of them ever made it to barista.

It might seem crazy to people to guard a position that jealously, but coffee was what the café did. It was the reason they attracted so many tourists in the city, people sought them out in their obscure location for some of the best coffee in this part of Hong Kong.

Hopefully this new one would be gone soon, Byunghun felt more comfortable with his usual team of misfits. None of the interviewed employees ever lasted that long anyway. The strays that Youngjin attracted were usually all that were left.

Lola, a half-Spanish university drop out with no money for a ticket home, had come a year before. Feng, kicked out of her family home for being a lesbian, had been there almost as long as the café. Elton had limped in one day asking for ice for his bloody nose and hadn’t seemed to have left the kitchen since. Jinsu was a nomad, trying to escape the haunting memories of his service in the military, who had finally found roots in the café. Even Byunghun, depressed and desperate for a job so he, Chan and Niel could feed themselves; he had found the top listings on a coffee lovers site and come to beg Youngjin for a job. They had a makeshift family here, a support network. New people always messed it up. So Byunghun had remained snippy with Jonghyun. Trying to keep the enthusiastic younger at bay.

“Byunghunnie!” Youngjin yelled from the office door, his head poking out between the door and frame.

“Yes, hyung?” Byunghun looked up, stopping mid-wipe.

“Come here for a moment.” Youngjin smiled and pulled his head back into the office.

Byunghun dropped his cloth on the bench and strode over to the office, trying to avoid Jonghyun’s questioning gaze. He slipped into the cramped space and shut the door.

“Yes, hyung?”

“Byung, you know I love you. And you love me.” Youngjin began, “So you’ll do what I ask you to.”

“Yeah, because you’re my boss.” Byunghun rebuffed, always uncomfortable with love came up with anyone other than Chanhee.

“Exactly. So here it is: Be nicer to Choi Jonghyun.” Youngjin said simply, nodding curtly and turning back to the spreadsheet on the monitor of his computer.

Byunghun huffed unintentionally. Youngjin turned back to face him.

“Byungie, don’t sulk. Just be nice to the newbie.” Youngjin warned.

“He wants to ‘be a barista’.” Byunghun made sarcastic quotations in the air. “Did he tell you that in the interview?” He sassed, arms crossing.

“He didn’t have an interview.” Youngjin trumped, folding his hands in his lap with a sense of victory, “So, be nice to him. And make me a coffee.”

Byunghun nodded reluctantly and left the office.

---------------------------------------

Jonghyun watched as Byunghun scuttled across behind the counter and disappeared into the office. He sipped his coffee and searched for something to do. There wasn’t much unless there was something to do in the kitchen with Elton and Jinsu. He was about to go and ask when a few customers entered. They were chatting loudly in heavily accented English and Jonghyun struggled to follow their conversation.

“Hello, how are you today?” Jonghyun asked, smiling widely.

“Hi!” The young woman said brightly, “Just a cappuccino for me.”

“I’ll have a flat white.” Her male companion said. Jonghyun looked at him blankly, what was a flat white? Was he ordering coffee or food?

“Oh! A latte coff

Please log in to read the full chapter