Part 3 - Chapter 22

I Wanna Love
Please log in to read the full chapter

22

Niel trudged down into the bowels of the club behind Chanhee and Byunghun. The pair were holding hands and laughing along with one another. Completely lost in their own world, as always. He tried to hold back a sigh, he was tired already. He should have drunk more before coming out, but he hadn’t even felt like doing that. He felt restless. Unsettled. He couldn’t decide if this was the only place he wanted to be, or the last place.

They moved through the crowds to the bar against the wall. Byunghun threw a hand up in greeting and dragged Chanhee over to another couple. Niel trailed along behind with another sigh.

-----------------------------------

Changhyun stood leaning against Jonghyun, Minsu had been playing for a while now and the crowds in the club had thickened. They would dance again later but for now waited for Byunghun and Chanhee to arrive. Changhyun was proud of his boyfriend, he had cracked Byunghun’s barbed outer shell quicker than most people. It was nice to expand their small circle of friends. Maybe they could even double date.

They spotted Byunghun and Chanhee through the crowds. Changhyun waved enthusiastically, Chanhee looked shy and guilty. Behind them the other regular friend followed, his face was unreadable.

--------------------------------------

Byunghun dragged Chanhee over to Changhyun and Jonghyun. He could practically feel Chanhee wincing in embarrassment. The last time he had met Jonghyun it had been to tell him to keep away from Byung.

“Hey!” Byunghun said, uncharacteristically bright.

“Hello!” Changhyun was almost giggling already.

“Um… Hi.” Chanhee bowed low and held out a hand to Jonghyun, “I’m Lee Chanhee. I profoundly apologise for my idiocy last time we met.”

Jonghyun tucked his smile away and took the offered hand.

“Nice to meet you properly.” Jonghyun replied, “This is Changhyun. My boyfriend. Just so you know.”

Chanhee gave a stricken face and bowed low to them both once more.

“I’m very sorry.”

The other three laughed at him. Jonghyun patted him on the shoulder and mumbled that everything was alright. Byunghun watched, a floating sensation of joy in his chest.

--------------------------------------

“It’s alright.” Jonghyun patted Chanhee’s shoulder. “I’m not one to really hold a grudge.”

“Thank you.” Chanhee’s smile was slightly sad.

“Do you know Yoo Changhyun?” Jonghyun moved to introduce his boyfriend.

Chanhee and Changhyun looked at one another and smiled.

“It’s you!” Chanhee cried.

“It’s me!” Changhyun repeated.

“You know one another already?” Jonghyun was confused.

“We ran into each other on the street one day. I knew I knew you!” Chanhee cried, his face breaking into a chipmunk grin.

Jonghyun smiled warmly, this world was really beginning to feel like his own now.

----------------------------------------------

Chanhee returned to his bright mood when he saw Changhyun. He knew he had recognised him the other day!

“I didn’t know you two were dating!” Chanhee cried.

“Yup.” Changhyun looked up at Jonghyun with adoration in his eyes.

“This is Ahn Daniel.” Byunghun cut in. Sweeping a hand to indicate Niel. They all bowed formally to one another.

“I’m very sorry for my hyung’s inconsiderate actions towards you Ahn Daniel. Please forgive me for his thoughtlessness.” Jonghyun intoned over the club music.

Niel shrugged in reply. After waiting a polite amount of time, he turned away to order a drink at the bar instead. Chanhee’s brow pinched with concern. Niel was being rude, but it was understandable.

“He’s not feeling so great tonight.” Chanhee explained to the other couple. They nodded with pitying looks on their faces.

----------------------------------------------

Minsu stood behind the decks in the booth. His negative mood had faded as soon as his set had begun. Instead the euphoric feeling of creation was taking hold of him. He was completely wrapped up in the music. His soul not pulsing or dragging for once, but singing. He grinned and closed his eyes, feeling the rhythm of the music through his heart. He wished he could feel this way forever.

-----------------------------------------------

Niel moved, this DJ was good! What had Byunghun said? A friend of a friend that he worked with. Niel smirked, Byung had certainly grown up lately. Not only did he have friends, but friends of friends.

Now that he had a few drinks in him and almost an hour or two of dancing, Niel was happy for them. He was truly relieved to see how close Byunghun and Chanhee were once more but something inside Niel felt agitated. Like a spring being wound tighter and tighter.

Niel caught eyes with Byunghun as he danced with Chanhee. The other happy couple danced not far from them. Niel knew there was a stab of jealousy in the agitation. He wanted that. He needed it. Why the hell couldn't he find it?

The restless sensation grew unbearable and Niel knew he had to escape the dancefloor. The music moved into a lull, almost as if the universe knew he needed an out. He struggled off the floor and headed towards the bar.

The agitation grew, the coiling spring in his stomach tightened. Niel felt his heart hammering at the wall of his chest, as though it was trying to beat its way out.

His legs became heavy and ceased all movement. It was now.

He knew it.

The music began to build once more, as though everyone else knew this was the moment.

Frozen, stock-still, Niel saw him.

4 metres away, standing there. An odd mixture of things Niel remembered clearly and hadn't noticed the last time.

The braids, the muscular arms and the goth clothes Niel remembered. But he hadn't noticed they were almost the same height, he hadn't noticed the tattoos peeking out on his chest and neck, and he hadn't noticed the clear, decisive eyes.

All of those thoughts passed in a second. His heart still pounding.

The spring-loaded sensation in his stomach snapped.

-----------------------------------------

Changhyun held Jong close for a moment, overwhelmed with the need to love him. Jonghyun smiled down at him, care and devotion clear in his eyes.

“Did you want to go home honey?” Jonghyun asked over the music, “Minsu’s set should have just finished. We can go.”

“No.” Changhyun shook his head. “No, I feel like we need to be here tonight. Like it’s special.”

“Special how?” Jonghyun asked, perplexed.

“I don’t know,” Changhyun shrugged, resting his forehead against Jonghyun’s cheek. “But I love you.”

“I love you too.” Jonghyun smiled and kissed him.

-------------------------------------------

Byunghun wasn’t sure what it was but he knew they needed to be there that night. He held on to Chanhee, moving with him to the music. There was a strange tang of destiny in the air, something was building. Byunghun clung to Chanhee desperately, moments like this made him nervous. This wild energy reminded him of moments in his past, good and bad. He would ride out the storm in Chanhee’s arms.

----------------------------------------

Jonghyun was still puzzled by what Changhyun had said. Tonight felt like any other night to him. The overwhelming sensation of dancing, that feather-light feeling in his soul.

On second thought, Jonghyun realised, I haven’t felt this truly free for years.

Slowly, over the last few months he had cast off the shackles of his depression and shame. He was truly free. Absolutely content. Free and madly in love with Yoo Changhyun.

He was right, they needed to be there. There was so much to celebrate.

---------------------------------------------

Chanhee held Byunghun close. His fiancé. The love of his life. They had made it through finally, Chanhee knew they could do anything. He felt the electricity in the air. He had never been more sure of anything. This was a pivotal moment for them. Maybe for all of them.

-----------------------------------------------

Minsu dropped down from the booth, a weird sensation of swirling giddiness and restless agitation in his heart. He always felt psyched after a set, especially one as phenomenal as that, but somehow a familiar driving force was overwhelming it. The force had taken hold and Minsu wasn't sure if he should fight it or obey.

He settled that he would have a drink and see how he felt beyond that. He made for the bar.

The force pulled him onwards, guiding his steps. Minsu realised he couldn't fight this any longer and let his feet lead him.

Abruptly he stopped. The overwhelming force dropped away to nothing. To less than nothing. It was the first time in months Minsu didn't feel the constant pull in his soul towards something, or rather someone.

Because there he was.

The doe-eyes, wide with shock. His beautiful lips making a little "O" of surprise.

Minsu simply stared, drinking in the object of his affection. Any moment, Minsu was convinced, he would disappear.

---------------------------------------------

The coiled spring snapped.

With a violent rush of energy Niel hurled himself across the space between them. Straight into the strong arms that caught him and held him tight.

The thumping of his heart grew stronger still, Niel felt he could laugh or weep uncontrollably.

And then their lips met. Desperation and raw emotion between them as they kissed.

Niel's arms were flung around his neck as he pulled the other man ever closer. Their lips crushed together in a bruising kiss that seemed to convey months of desperate searching. Niel smelt cigarettes and a masculine scent; it calmed him, confirming for his addled brain that everything was real. He wasn’t dreaming.

Finally they pulled away, keeping arms tight around one another.

"I've been looking for you." The man said, a deep baritone voice, "What took you so long?"

---------------------------------------------

Changhyun slid his hands along Jonghyun’s toned body. They fitted together perfectly to dance. Swaying and moving with one another seamlessly. Changhyun closed his eyes, the swirling lights still playing against the back of his eyelids. Something felt like magic.

----------------------------------------------

Byunghun laughed with his fiancé, turning his head down to steal a kiss or two. Chanhee’s hips bumped roughly against his own and they winced before giggling. It felt like they were school kids again. A freshness to their world that he couldn’t explain.

--------------------------------------------------

Jonghyun revelled in Changhyun’s wandering hands. He loved dancing with him. In fact, with a few small tweaks to his technique Changhyun would be an amazing dancer. They would be like oil on the floor together. Jonghyun nuzzled at Changhyun’s sweat-damp hair. He would have t

Please log in to read the full chapter