The Broken Camera

Until My Last Breath
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next day, the team is assigned to an old construction site to defuse a bomb. Jessica is recording the environment thoroughly, she can see how dedicated and seriousness that this team shows in the field. Her camera then zoomed towards a group of soldiers who were busy setting up the barricade around the place. Captain Yuri and Captain Yoona were preparing a bomb detector device and ready to change into an EOD suit. 

 

“Miss Jessica,” Taeyeon approached and startled her. 

 

 “Sir,” she turns and stops the recording. 

 

“Now listen to me carefully, you will always remain behind this barricade, and 350meters behind me, if you break any rule, you’ll be sent back to the barracks, any question?” he asks, half threatening, only having Jessica’s nodd as reply.

 

“oh, yes, can I listen to my music on ipod?” Jessica asks innocently. 

 

Taeyeon only sighs and shakes his head, obviously annoyed with her attitude. He walks away from her and joins his team mates who were already scanning the area using the bomb detector device. 

 

“Is that a yes, or a no?” she shouted, noticing that her question had been ignored. So, she decided to just listen to her music while resuming her recording. 

 

“How is it Capt? Daisy chain huh?” Major Kim asks his officer, while looking at the wired chain that links the bomb one to another. 

 

“Looks like it,” Captain Yuri confirms it. “I’ve checked it, and it's safe to disable the detonator cap Sir,” Captain Yuri said while showing the switch that was located behind the existing wall cracks. 

 

Taeyeon starts to disable the cap one by one and asks Yuri to do the same by sequence until he finds a hidden wire that links the bomb towards the unknown result. “Hey Capt, where is this going?” he asked while holding the wire. 

 

“What? sorry sir, no idea,” Yuri said, he was surprised, he was pretty sure that he and Captain Yoona had been looking and searching behind the wall cracks to find any wire that link to the bomb. 

 

“I think there is a switcher Capt,” Taeyeon said while stripping the wire he was holding. Slowly, he walked following the wire and he found that the wires were actually embedded in the ground and upon observation, it appeared that the wires were behind the area where Jessica was standing. After a few tug, he saw that instead of a switch, it was a plate that works as a landmine. 

 

Sensing the danger that might happen, Taeyeon shouted Jessica’s name to alert her but Jessica did’nt hear it as she was listening to her music through the ipod. 

 

“Jessica,.. Sica!!” still no response yet he sees that without her realize that she is stepping backwards and keep coming closer to the plate. without wasting any second, Taeyeon ran as fast as he could to grab her and unfortunately Jessica still managed to accidentally step on the plate, causing the bomb to explode, which also made the entire building collapse. 

 

Jessica was in shocked when being snacth and rolled along with Taeyeon. Lieutenant Alex, rushed towards them and checked for any injuries. Luckily, everybody on the site is safe, except Captain Yuri who has a few cuts, from the collapse. 

 

After making sure that the medic team settles in, Taeyeon makes sure that all his officers, getting checked and assigned a few officers to control the site, when he notices that Jessica is done with the medic team, he grabs her hand and dragged her on the corner of their Jeep.  

 

“Are you out of your mind?” He yells at Jessica frustratedly. 

 

“We are dealing with bloody bombs here!” Taeyeon hissed. “ Because of your stupid rebellious attitude, the lives of my entire team was compromised.” he yelled at her face.  

 

“I’m sorry,” Jessica mutters under her breath slowly. She knew it was her fault, she was deeply sorry and sad.

 

“350 meters, I said !.” he cuts her off. “ Now, you will not come with us, you’ll go back from here.” Taeyeon said and quickly walks away but Jessica stops him. 

 

“No, please sir, I can’t go back now.” she knew she was in trouble but she can’t go back. Not now, this was her only chance to make her own project. 

 

“ Jessica, listen to me, the road ahead is much more dangerous than this, It's not suitable for an untrained person. I cannot let you in. I’m sorry but I can’t jeopardize my team and your lives with this,” He pointed to her camera. His voice was firm. He seemed to know what was best. He always did. 

 

“Look, Jessica, I knew that you’re sorry, I forgive you already. Now, can you just forget about this story, just move on and have a great life.” he said, reaching over Jessica and placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. 

 

Jessica’s head throbbed. This is the last chance, she can’t afford to lose it. This task is everything for her right now, not only for her job in Discovery Office, her dream to become a journalist, her passion on the story of the man in front of her, and there might be a little chance of chasing her true love that is also right in front of her.  

 

She wasn’t sure when she grabbed Taeyeon’s wrist and stopped him, but after he turned facing her, she asked  “If I ask you to forget Tiffany, can you do it?” Jessica challenged him. Taeyeon narrowed his brows  confused with the question. 

 

“There is always a passion that appears in one’s life, for you, it’s Tiffany, but for me, my passion is about your story, thus, I really have to do this.” Jessica said while embracing her camera. 

 

Taeyeon looked away and let out a long sigh, thinking deeply about what she said, he then continued to work, allowing Jessica to tag along. 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

After they finished their mission, they were resting in a nearby forest, they set up their tents, and began preparing for dinner. 

Jessica was spraying an anti mosquito spray in her tent and accidently sprayed at Taeyeon who is walking past her going in the woods alone.

 

Taeyeon startled. Guilty rushed on Jessica's face. "Sorry, mosquito , want some?"She ask offering the bottle spray but getting ignored by Taeyeon. 

 

Curious with his attitude, Jessica asks Yuri about Taeyeon.  “ Yuri, where is the boss going?” 

 

“Taeyeon always finds time to be alone after he manages to settle a bomb. Usually we just let him be, he will come and join us later” Yuri explained while setting up a bonfire. 

 

Jessica runs to get her handycam inside her bag and accidentally bumps on Captain Yoona who coincidentally happens to walk towards her. 

“ Oh my bad, I’m sorry” she said in a hurry but Yoona was fast, grabbing her shoulder to stop her. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter