The Question

Until My Last Breath
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 

 

The day went by more quickly than Jessica could’ve imagined. She rolled her sleeping bag and decided to start packing. The tent opened and Yuri poked his head inside. 

 

“Good morning,” the captain greeted with a smile, as if nothing happened last night. “So, packing already?” he asks, trying to initiate a conversation. Jessica nodded her head, still folding her clothes for packing. 

 

“Come on, I got you a cup of coffee out here, let’s have a sip, the boss and the rest are not around,” he insisted. 

 

Biting her lip, Jesscia nodded and followed him. She took a sip and thanked the captain. 

 

“You know, I really thought I was making progress after the incident, we were getting along well, but last night,” she paused and scoffed when she tried to remember the conversation between her and Taeyeon. 

 

“I don’t doubt that you were,” Yuri smiles, “You even surprised us. Major Kim does not talk to people easily, and mostly talks about work. But, now look at you. I think you are the only one who has this audacity to talk back to him.” he laughed. 

 

“How long have you been together in this squad?” Jessica asks out of curiosity. 

 

“Well, almost two years, when me and Yoona finished our EOD training, they gave us an offer to re-enlist, so we were attached to Major Kim. He used to work alone, but the superior wants to create a special team force so now, he’s the boss, the guy with the reputation, full with experience, and we are the smart techs guy.” Yuri informs her. 

 

“Is there any..”Jessica’s question is cut when suddenly Yoona comes and interjects. “Couldn’t let this slip without recording huh?” Yoona is holding the camera and playfully shoving it towards Jessica’s and Yuri’s face. “Come on you gotta ask me some questions also, I want to be famous, I bet every girl would run to have me in their arms.” he says excitedly. Jessica and Yuri were exchanging looks and burst into laughter.   

 

“Hey, how is it fixed?” Jessica asked, surprised with the news, she grabbed the camera and tried adjusting the lens, feeling grateful that the camera works fine. 

 

“Major Kim did it, he’s an electronic genius.” Yoona said as matter of fact. “I think he worked all night on it,” he said. 

 

“Where is that genius?” Jessica asks, Yoona points his fingers towards the direction, encouraging her to go. 

 

Jessica grabs her camera and walks towards him. He is working on an electrical device which she assumed was a blast tracker. She sat across him and smiled. Sensing that Jessica is staring at him, he ignores her and fiddles with the devices.

 

“Why are you so complicated?”she groaned in frustration. Taeyeon looked at her and  just shrugged at the question. 

 

“I can’t even decide to love or hate you” After hearing the L word, Taeyeon decided to speak but Jessica cut him off an continued, “Actually, I’ve understand now,”she pause and smirks, Taeyeon stops fiddling with the blast tracker and turns his attention on the girl, urging her to continue. 

 

“After seeing me with my crop top, you’ve changed your mind, right? You literally think I’m hot right?” 

Taeyeon stared at her in disbelief, this time and he furrowed his brows, narrowing his eyes. How in the hell that idea could come in this little girl’s head, he asked himself.

 

“Don’t give me such an intense look, it fills me with this kind of weird sensation,” She casually said, leaning against the table unashamedly ogle at Taeyeon. 

 

“Stop talking rubbish, or I’ll  break your camera again.” Taeyeon responded and decided to leave the table.  

 

“Fine, but first tell me, why did you stay all night just to fix my camera?” she insisted, and stopped him as he tried to walk by her. 

 

“ You spoke about passion the other day. When someone is passionate about something, he spends a lifetime gone mad chasing it,” He then stops walking and turns to her. Abruptly Jesscia also stops walking and waits for him to continue. 

 

“There’s already one mad man standing in front of you. There is no place here for another mad person.”

He grabbed the camera from Jessica's hand and shoved it back to her slowly, and continued “So, pick up your camera, fulfill your passion and leave.” He smiled genuinely.  

 

Jessica blinked, caught off guard with the reason. 

 

As if on cue, Alex came towards them. “Sir,” He brought a tablet. He loaded up a video and handed it to Taeyeon. Jessica just watched them silently.  

 

“What happened Alex?” Taeyeon took the tablet and pressed play. He saw footage of a bomb blast in an area and people running everywhere. 

 

“It was reported that there is one more in the center of the bridge.” Alex said. 

 

“Any timer?” Taeyeon is still looking through all the information on the tablet. 

 

“Yes sir, the wire goes to the dynamite through the relay” Alex explained. 

 

“Let’s get this,” He said to Alex. Then he turns to Jessica and says “ Hey kid, let’s fulfill your passion,” He smiles and leaves to prepare himself before they move to the next location.

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

They reach at the exact bridge and standby the safety procedure along the bridge. No vehicles are allowed to cross the bridge. Taeyeon scanned the footage of the bomb, he needs to figure out that this mission is easy so that none of them would get hurt. The bomb has a timer with relays and it was relatively easy to diffuse. 

 

Once he is ready, he grabs the safety harness and is surprised that Jessica is also getting ready to wear the safety harness without wearing a bomb suit.  Once they climbed out down to the bridge he started to look at the wire to diffuse the bomb. 

 

“You are not scared?”He asks while glancing directly at the camera. 

 

“I’m hanging here with the man who cannot die, literally.” Jessica kicks her legs out. “There's no chance of being scared,” she said, hoping to sound more confident than she feels. Judging by Taeyeon smirk, she quickly adds, “Besides, your destiny is

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter