Chapter 5: Apology

The Trio.

It's 6 p.m. now. Namjoon started his shift at the convenience store with his partner of the day, Jackson. Jackson is still a new employee in this convenience store, so Namjoon have to be a good role model to this newbie. At least he won't have an outrage like how he had yesterday. Thank goodness that newbie did not witness what happened yesterday, or I WILL BE DOOMED.

Apparently Jackson is a smart kid. He already knew how he should do as a cashier, just after being supervised (by Hoseok) for one day. So he's the cashier of the day, while Namjoon was going to be the one in charge of coffee making. There's not much goods yet to be displayed, so it's quite relaxing today.

"Hey, Namjoon, are you alright?" Jackson asked, quite concerned.

"Yeah, why not?" Namjoon replied.

"Hoseok said you're... not quite well yesterday,"

"Oh, maybe that's because I had a headache yesterday?" Namjoon said. So did Jung Hoseok tell him everything?

"That's good. Though I don't know what happened but Hoseok was quite careful yesterday when dealing with customers. Is that a rare scene?"

"Do your work. A customer's coming," said Namjoon to get rid of the topic.

"Hey, Namjoon!" Someone called Namjoon just as Jackson was collecting the money. He went to the coffee counter.

"Oh, it's you, Jin hyung. And hi, Choa."

"How's your day?" Choa asked.

"Quite good. How may I help you?"

"Two cups of hot Latte please," Seokjin said, "and she wants extra milk."

"Awww honey, " Choa said while looking at Seokjin.

"On their way..." Namjoon said while turning around to prepare their coffee. Soon when the orders are done, he gave them to their respective owners.

"Thanks Namjoon, " Choa said. "Is it free?"

"Um, no..." Namjoon said before looking at Jackson.

"Nah, just kidding. Have fun with your new buddy over there~" Choa meant Jackson.

Just when Choa's about to leave with Seokjin, Namjoon decided to ask her about something. "Choa, um," He knew Choa is a good person for relationship advice. "What can I do if I want to apologise to someone? I mean, a girl?"

Upon hearing the word 'girl', both Choa and Seokjin have their eyes brighten up. "A girl? When? Where? How did you know her? Are you guys a thing already?" Both of them ask together in sync. Jackson who was zoning out also gasped after hearing how synchronized the couple was. Namjoon on the other hand did a face-palm. Since Seokjin started having a girlfriend, both him and his girlfriend has been longing for Namjoon's turn to not be single. They always tried their best to give Namjoon advice and encouragement, and this includes affection towards each other in front of Namjoon. But their efforts always turn into waste because Namjoon always emphasized that he's not ready for a significant other. Probably that's way both of them looked so surprised when they heard Namjoon asking that question. "Um, perhaps perhaps... how long have you known her?" Choa asked.

"Yesterday night, um, not like I knew her. It's a stranger, but I caused trouble to her yesterday so I decided to pay her back..." Namjoon replied.

"Perhaps, give her a drink? Or maybe a snack? Then say sorry to her?" Choa suggested.

Namjoon stood there while thinking a lot in his mind. After a minute or two, he finally answered with a "Thank you." and the couple left. Thankfully nobody else was there (well there's Jackson though).

The truth is, Namjoon recalled the incident yesterday night, when he had quarreled with that girl wearing a miniskirt in the convenience store. Although everything was resolved at the end, but Namjoon still blamed himself for the fuss. If it wasn't because of his carelessness, everything would not happen. Though it's not like that girl would ever come again. She was probably pissed off because of his attitude last night. That's why Namjoon thought he should give her a proper apology.

He decided to buy a drink for her. But he's clueless of what kind of drink should he buy for her. Maybe he should give her a cup of coffee made by himself? But Jackson disapproved, saying that it's time-consuming. So he decided to give her a bottle of juice, from those in the fridges of the store.

"Is it the one who wore a red miniskirt last night?" Jackson asked.

Namjoon was speechless after hearing that question. So Hoseok really told him everything. He just nodded as an answer.

"I knew. Hoseok was also quite annoyed because of her attitude. She said he's a dork when he smiled to her. " Jackson said. Namjoon controlled himself from laughing out loud.

Soon Jackson was in the tearoom to have his dinner break, which means Namjoon was left in front of the cash register. Perhaps he's having one of the hardest choice in life -- so what kind of drinks do girls of his age prefer? In spite of being a cashier for so long, he didn't observe well about what kind of stuff do people of different age levels normally buy. At the end he sneaked out of the counter to go to the fridge and search for his ideal apology gift (according to his own mind). He has never given any gifts for girls for his entire life!

Speaking of girls, Namjoon never thought about getting a girlfriend or falling in love this soon. He wanted to focus on his studies, and maybe his career in the future, before starting his love life. In his opinion, it may take more than five years from now... before he really consider about having a lover.

Perhaps, perhaps...

Namjoon finally chose a bottle of mixed fruit juice of his own preference. At least he knew that it's the bestseller. Luckily nobody entered the shop during that period he sneaked out. He brought the juice to the cashier counter to do his payment -- he's gonna pay for the gift (of course). But who knew when would that girl visit the shop again?

Fate was teasing him though. Twenty minutes later, someone familiar entered the shop. Namjoon who was about to fall asleep became wide awake upon the girl he was going to apologise to turning up. He never expected her to come that soon. Perhaps she's a regular customer? Namjoon started to become nervous, looking at her going further into the store to search for some goods. Can Jackson just finish his dinner sooner? he thought.

Later, the girl came to the counter to pay for what she's going to buy. She stopped humming to her own tune looked displeased when she saw Namjoon at the counter. She hoped that Namjoon finished checking her stuff as soon as possible so that she can run away and he'd get rid of her sight.

"7100 won please." Namjoon said.

Still with that displeased look, she stopped for a while before asking, "Is it the correct amount or are you scamming for that extra 1000 won?"

Namjoon was a bit furious upon hearing her words, but decided to ignore it so that no more trouble was caused.

After finishing the payment, the girl headed to the front door and walked quickly. Luckily Namjoon stopped her.

"Hey, I've got something. Can you stay for a while?"

That girl rolled her eyes before walking back to the counter. "Mind if you wait for a while?" Namjoon  said before quickly went into the tearoom to take out the bottle of juice for her from the mini fridge. Jackson was busily reading his fantasy novel and he didn't notice Namjoon entering.

Swiftly, Namjoon went out of the tearoom and gave the juice to the girl, face full of guilt.

"This is for you," he said, "as an apology."

The girl startled. But this didn't last long as her face returned to being straight again.

Seeing her not replying, Namjoon waved in front of her face. "Are you okay?"

"I am. Just wondering what a MIRACLE it is for someone being rude to me yesterday to apologise today. Wow. Jackpot."

"I'm just..." How can her words be so harsh???? "seriously sorry for causing trouble for you and your boyfriend."

That girl took the bottle of juice and observed it.

"Is there poison inside? Or did you set a curse on it?"

"Why would I?"

"I think you would." she said while continue observing the juice.

"If that's so, then nope."

"Or is it an order from your manager? You knew, maybe he knew this fuss caused by YOU and ordered you to do this in spite of you already apologised? Then you don't wanna lose your salary that soon so you decided to sacrifice your dignity? Perhaps your manager is watching inside?" she asked.

Namjoon took a deep breath before answering, "No. It's out of my sincerity."

"Out of your SINCERITY? How unexpected? Oh I'm so touched..." she fake-cried.

"Anyway, please accept my apology," he tried hard not to burst out of anger. He's definitely not a guy that fakes apologies. Although he'd never been with any girl in a relationship, he still knows how to be a gentleman.

"I'll consider. Just considering."

Then she left before Namjoon could even smile.

After that, Jackson came out from the tearoom. "So, did you succeed?" he asked considerately while patting Namjoon's shoulder.

"I don't know."

"Anyway, good luck to you. You did a good job today though. You're a real man!" Jackson blabbered before noticing that Namjoon raised a brow and stopped.

===

It's 20 minutes past 12 in midnight and Namjoon just reached home after finishing his shift at the convenience store, not forgetting to bring back two bottles of soda for his younger brothers. Just as he entered the apartment unit, he saw the lights in Wonwoo's room still being on.

Wonwoo's studying for his Mathematics test tomorrow. Namjoon assumed that Chan was asleep.

"Hey, Wonwoo," Namjoon said after knocking the door at Wonwoo's room.

"Hyung," Wonwoo turned back and said. "How's work today?"

"Fine, how's school?"

"Great. Luckily there's no homework today so I can study more."

"Don't stress yourself too much though."

"I won't. Hyung, are you joining us for dinner tomorrow? Mingyu's here."

"I'll make up some time for that," Namjoon said while scratching his head. Then he yawned.

"And by the way, I'm coming home late tomorrow. I'll join Mingyu for basketball."

"Sounds fun~ Stay safe." Namjoon said before leaving Wonwoo's room.

"Hey. Hyung!" Wonwoo went outside his room to ask Namjoon about something. "Can I have our..."

"Hey, Wonwoo. It's quite late right now. Is your question really urgent? Or can we talk tomorrow? I'm about to sleep," Namjoon said before Wonwoo could even finish his question. Wonwoo stood there without replying so Namjoon didn't take it as an important matter.

"Nights, and sleep tight, Wonwoo." Namjoon said before entering his own room.

"Goodnight..." Wonwoo said weakly, before also entering his own room to continue studying.

===

Namjoon looked at the document he brought with him while coming home earlier. Back when the time was 10.30 p.m., Hoseok came into the convenience store and met Namjoon.

 

~~~~FLASHBACK~~~~


"What's up, Namjyun~" Hoseok said.

"Fine. I met her." Namjoon answered.

"Who? Lady Gaga?" Hoseok answered and Namjoon did a face-palm.

"No. That girl I caused trouble to yesterday."

"You meant SHE caused trouble to you."

"Nope. It's my fault though. I apologised. to her just now."

"Wow, Namjoon. Good thing you did there!
"

"And I gave her a bottle of juice as an apology gift."
 

Hoseok was so astonished. "So did you put poison in it?"

"No. I'm not that bad."

"Then did you propose to her? You got your eyes on her today at campus~"


"Hell NO! What sort of stuff are you thinking?" Namjoon gave a knock at Hoseok's head.


"Nah. Hey, here's a list of performers on that day. Take a look once your shift ends."

Namjoon received the paper from Hoseok. "Thanks bro."

"No problem. i gotta leave now," Hoseok wandered around and saw a customer coming to the cashier counter. "see'ya. Good luck in getting her~" Hoseok then ran away, leaving an about-to-swear Namjoon.

===

It's the list of performers during the coming university carnival. Every year there would be a carnival in their university. Students from different majors will have their own booths selling food, decorations or useful appliances. The performances are the highlight on that day. This year, many groups of students already volunteered to perform on that day, and were busy preparing and rehearsing for the performance. Namjoon scanned through the names of the performers to find their band name -- The Bulletproof Band.

After he found his band's name and performing time, he continue reading the list to find other performers. His eyes suddenly stopped at a line of words:

"Rap Performance by Jimin and Lee Cheol-joo."

"Wow," he mumbled, " 'Jimin'. Is it our Jiminie or what?" Namjoon never knew that Jimin could rap. If he's having a performance with another person, he would have informed Namjoon and his other friends as well, judging their closeness. Maybe it's a surprise performance?

He called Jimin.

"Ah, Namjoon? What are you up for. It's like half past twelve now." Jimin said when he answered the phone.

"Jimin-ah. I'm so proud of you now. I can't believe you can rap!"

"Namjoon, what are you talking about? Rap?"

"Wait. Maybe I'd mistaken. Do you have a special stage with another guy other than the band? During the carnival?"

"You mean you thought I am rapping with someone else on stage on that day? NO WAY! I don't know how to rap, and I'm super loyal to our band!"

"Oh~ Then I'd really mistaken."

"What made you thought so, actually?"

"Just saw a 'Jimin' on the performers list, and thought it's you."

"Ah... another Jimin in the university huh? Then I really wanna meet that person."

"Hope you'll meet that other Jimin on that day~ Were you asleep? Sorry if I woke you up..."

"Yes I was, but I was finishing our assignment and then I fell asleep. I have to thank you for waking me up,"

Namjoon laughed a little. "Get enough rest though, or you'll fall asleep in class tomorrow."

"You too. Bye Namjoon."

The call ended.

Namjoon looked at the name carefully. That Jimin did not state his/her surname, nor which major is he/she. Like Park Jimin, Namjoon became curious about that other Jimin, and wanted to meet that Jimin as well. Then maybe the two Jimin's can perform together~

Namjoon thought about finishing his work first but he's too tired after studying and working all-day. He decided to go to bed and have a sweet dream first. Tomorrow's a new day full of challenges and unpredictable events anyway.

-----A/N----

YAYS BACK AFTER ALMOST A MONTH. I was just so busy these days(and I think it's gonna continue till further notice). I'll still update though, maybe slower than you (and I) expected. Anyway do comment and give me some opinions about my fic. It's quite messy right now cause I have lots of ideas but I'm too lazy to organise it. But I think those scenes are going to be great :) Anyway please give me time to plan this fic better and make it organised in a better way.

Once again thank you for reading/supporting this fic. Do comment down there about what you think needs improvement. I'll appreciate very much and they'll be motivation for me to be better. :)

I'm anticipating the day Namjoon finds out who that girl really is~ *meanwhile thinking hard about how the plot should be lmfao*

Meanie's in next chapter tho. (VERY BIG SPOILER).