Chapter 10: An Unlucky Day for Namjoon

The Trio.

A loud thud was heard in Namjoon's room. An alarm clock was on the floor with some new minor cracks on its body. Thankfully it wasn't shattered into pieces. 

A minute before, the alarm clock was ringing so loud it immediately woke Namjoon up. Namjoon who was extremely tired since yesterday wanted to sleep more but the loud ringing noise from the alarm clock wouldn't allow him to do so. Out of frustration, Namjoon just flung his hand across his bedtable and sent the alarm clock onto the floor without any mercy. 

Namjoon continued catching some Z's until he heard his phone rang. (fortunately, he didn't treat his phone the same.) He picked up the phone.

"Namjoon! Where are you now?" asked the caller in a serious tone.

"Yoongi? I'm at home now what do you w-"

"Seriously? It's 30 minutes before our tutorial class starts! Why aren't you here yet?" 

"Why should I- wait! WAIT A SECOND!" Namjoon hung up and checked his e-mails. Indeed, his tutor for Quantum Mechanics will adjust Monday's schedule to Sunday due to some personal issues. The e-mail was sent 7 days beforehand to inform the students. Yet, Namjoon had forgotten about the news.

"Damn, I'm gonna be late now!" he said before rushing to the washroom to brush his teeth and clean his face and whatever. Maybe he should skip his morning shower?

5 minutes later he was out to grab his stuff and some food before leaving. When he went to the dining table, he saw a box of tuna rice balls on the table with a note on it.

"Hyung! Don't overwork.You might collapse. Have your breakfast. Fighting!  -Wonu"

Namjoon smiled a little before stuffing the box into his backpack and wandering around the room. It's empty. Perhaps his brothers went to the library or something? Then, he looked at his watch - there's no time to catch a bus now, he should run!

A minute later, a loud thud at the door was heard.

===

Namjoon panted heavily at the entrance of the tutorial room after he reached there. He was so lucky because the tutor hadn't arrived yet. Everyone in the room was looking at him, including Yoongi. Suddenly, he heard footsteps. His tutor gave a tap on his shoulder.

"Almost late?" the middle-aged man asked Namjoon. Namjoon just nodded, too exhausted to answer. Then, his tutor asked Namjoon to go to his seat before he started the class. Namjoon was about to raise his right leg but he felt pain - YES A LOT OF PAIN! - and he yelped. Yoongi came over to help Namjoon to his place. 

Once Namjoon was settled down, Yoongi whispered to him, "Dude, you can just skip class if you're late or whatever."

"Nah, I've got something to discuss with the tutor."

"Plus, you seem like you're having a bad time with your leg, huh?" Yoongi asked, staring at Namjoon. "Oh my, your eyebags. Can you just don't come and stay at home? You need sleep, bro."

"Fine, if I have the time to."

"I think you don't have to stay for the band practice later-"

"No! I'll go. The performance is in less than 2 weeks."

"Excuse me, the two guys over there," said the tutor, "shhhh!"

And then the class continued.

After the class ended, Namjoon talked to his tutor a bit. "Sir, can I know where can I find further reference to this theory here? I think I need to go through more information about that."

The tutor looked carefully at the lines of words in Namjoon's studying material. "Maybe, you can find this book in the library upstairs? It might help you," the tutor said while writing the book title with a pencil.

"Thank you, sir," Namjoon said after reading the title.

"No problem," the tutor replied, "hey, you look quite tired. Did you burn the midnight oil yesterday?"

Oh, I hope I could do so, Namjoon thought. "No."

"And your leg. Is it alright?"

"I think it recovered but apparently I made the situation worse just now..." 

"It's okay. Take care of yourself more," the tutor said before leaving.

"Thanks, sir."

"Contact me if you have any problems, alright?"

"Sure." Then, the tutor left the room.

===

Namjoon was in the library to find a book about Quantum Mechanics by Richard Feynman. He was about to reach out for the book at the upper partition of the shelf, but he couldn't do so because his foot hurt when he tried to stand on his toes. When he was trying his best, suddenly he saw a hand grabbed the book. He looked to the side to see Seokjin handing the book to him.

"You alright?" asked Seokjin

"I'm fine, except my injured foot," said Namjoon while pointing towards his injured right ankle.

"Aww, do you need medication?"

"Hey! Don't sound like it's too serious. I'm really fine!"

"Then, hope you'll recover soon! You're here for the extra class right?"

"Yeah," Namjoon replied while massaging his injured ankle. He stood back up and asked, "And you?"

"Oh, my girlfriend is practising for their performance during the school festival, so I'm here to wait for her, and bring her to lunch later."

"How sweet~"

"If you're envious, go find a girlfriend yourself!"

"Hey! I don't kind of want to find one currently!" Namjon almost shouted.

"Fine, then. Good luck to you," Seokjin said before he left.

Namjoon flipped through the book to find the content he wanted to look up. After confirming that that's the book he wanted, he went to the counter to borrow the book. As he turned left from the shelf, he bumped into a person, hearing a squeal from the other victim. Both of them looked towards each other and immediately shouted at the same time, almost like they'd planned to.

"IT's you?" Namjoon and the girl in front of him said. Yes, it's the girl who had caused trouble to Namjoon since a few days ago.

"Hey!" the girl stood up. "Can you use your eyes to see the path you're walking?"

"I've got them! I just couldn't see you, can you not walk so fast?"

"My speed is totally normal," there they are blaming each other, "it's you who bumped into me!"

"Then, perhaps you're just too short for me to see you," Namjoon walked towards the girl, and then looked towards his eye-level height, acting like he couldn't see her. "Oh, wait, where are you?"

The girl flinched a little but replied soon. "It's useless if you can't see me with your height. What a waste for you!"

"Fine, I'm not arguing with some irrelevant people. The world is still spinning so... have a 'good' day~" Namjoon walked away while waving to the girl who was obviously at a loss for words.

"Irrelevant?" the girl stood there and mumbled," Someday I'll teach you a lesson on who is MORE irrelevant!"

===

Namjoon closed the door of the band room once he entered. Yoongi was sitting on the corner couch, thinking about something quite serious. Hoseok, the drummer, was playing some random beats with the snare and hi-hat of the drum.

"What's the matter?" asked Namjoon while he sat next to Yoongi.

"Hmm... I was thinking if we should recruit some more members to our band, and if they really worth it. You see, our songs have a lot of vocal parts, yet there's only Jimin as a vocalist."

"But there's me! And Hoseok!"

"Yes, Namjoon. But your tone is plainly low, and Hoseok couldn't sing much as the drummer. The song we've composed is more... poppy? We need more vocalists to handle the parts. We three should just focus on rapping, maybe..."

Namjoon couldn't say anything, so he wandered around, looking for someone.

"Jimin is bringing two potential candidates to our room. He might be late," Yoongi said like he read Namjoon's mind.

"So, who are they?"

"Anticipate that," said Yoongi before a few knocks on the door were heard. "Ah! They must have arrived. Come in!"

The door opened and suddenly a head popped out, shouting "Peek-a-boo!". Then, the cheeky guy saw someone familiar and immediately went over.

"Namjoon-hyung!!" he shouted while giving Namjoon a hug.

"Tae? Why are you here?" Namjoon was dumb-founded. "Why didn't I know this?"

After they let go of each other, Jimin introduced his cousin, Jungkook, to everyone else.

"Hi, I'm Jungkook. He's my best friend, Taehyung. A pleasure to meet you all," the black-haired guy said politely.

"He's my cousin," said Jimin.

"What a coincidence - he's MY cousin!" said Namjoon while pointing to Taehyung, who was sheepishly laughing.

"Yaaah, there are so many blood-related pairs here. I should've brought my little sister," said Hoseok before hitting the hi-hats again.

"You sister is twelve, bucko!" shouted Yoongi. "Anyway," he turned to the two new guys, "I'm Yoongi. That's Hoseok. Here's Namjoon. You should've known Jimin. Hope we'll have a wonderful time working together."

"First of all," Yoongi continued, "does anyone know how to play a keyboard?"

"Me!" Taehyung raised his hand.

"Fabulous! We need a keyboardist now."

"Wait! What? A keyboardist? why didn't I know that? Wait, why do I look like I know nothing recently?" asked Namjoon.

"You seemed so absent-minded during practices recently. Nobody had the mind to do anything to improve the performance, so I'll do it," said Yoongi.

"At least you should've informed me first! I'm the leader!"

"Guys!!!" said Jimin while pushing the two guys away from each other. "They're here for auditioning and part distributing, not for hearing you guys argue!"

Meanwhile, Hoseok took the lyrics sheet and showed Taehyung and Jungkook.

"Taehyung..." Yoongi took the lyrics sheet from Taehyung and read thoroughly. "You'll take the first verse, is it okay?" Taehyung nodded.

"But hey! That's my part!" said Namjoon.

"He seems to fit more for that."

"But then..."

"You've still got like six bars of rapping-"

"See? You're again making decisions without asking for our opinions."

"You are the one who did not follow up with everything! Hoseok and Jimin were okay with this plan!"

"Dude, do you know what human rights are?"

"STOP!" said Jimin. "We haven't finished yet!"

Yoongi sighed. "And the bridge. 'Don't look back'... Is it okay?" Taehyung nodded again.

"Jungkook will share parts with Jimin in all choruses then."

After distributing the parts, they started practising with the new line-up of the band.

===

"Let's take a break, guys," Namjoon said after an hour of practising. To his surprise, the two newbies are quick learners, making the practice smoother than he imagined. Yoongi's good at hunting talented members... he thought.

"Hmmm..." Yoongi thought seriously. "Something's missing."

"What?" asked Namjoon while eating the tuna rice balls prepared by Wonwoo. 

"We need a bigger variety of vocal effects."

"Well, I think it's fine."

"No. I think we need one more new member."

"What? Seriously? We've already had fewer lines than usual for each member, and you still want more members to join?" 

"You see, I'm not denying that they're all good vocalists, but we need another element-"

"You think the stage is big enough for seven members?"

"I asked the person-in-charge, he said it's okay for ten members to dance."

"Wow, you really progressed very much, eh?"

"It's fine..."

Namjoon swallowed the second rice ball and continued, "Are you sure about recruiting our seventh member?"

Yoongi shrugged his shoulders and said, "Why not? The other vocalists have brilliant skills. Jimin's high notes, Jungkook's wide range of tones, your cousin's low tone. It's all fine. We just need somebody with clean vocals."

"I think it's fairly enough."

"Fine, if you're always trying to oppose me."

"What? I just stated out my opinions and that's all. Plus, who do you want to hunt for?"

"Listen! I'll always have a way."

"Yoongi, you are always doing your own way without asking for opinions from our fellow members."

"I'm doing for our performance's sake. Better than somebody who didn't focus on practising during practices and just bicker a lot."

"Yoongi, I find this super offensive now. If your words are always pointing towards me, instead of being tolerant, then-"

"You should think about why are my words pointing towards you." Yoongi raised his voice a bit.

"Guys, STOP!" shouted Jimin. "What's the matter?"

"No, nothing," said Yoongi.

"Our personal matters aside, is there anyone in your mind, who has clean vocals?" Namjoon asked.

"What? Are we recruiting another member?" asked Taehyung who joined the conversation.

"Yes, we are. We need someone with cleaner vocals. Sorry if I sound like I'm degrading you guys, but we need a more complete and balanced performance." said Yoongi.

"No, it's fine."

"Do you have anyone in your mind?" Yoongi asked.

Taehyung thought for a while before he hit 'Eureka!'. 

"Aha! I got it!"

"Who?" Namjoon and Yoongi asked at the same time.

"Jin-hyung!"

"What?! Seokjin-hyung? Are you sure?" asked Namjoon.

"Why? Who is he?" Jimin was curious.

"My elder brother," said Taehyung.

"Would he even accept the offer?" Namjoon asked.

"Just ask him. You never know."

"He sings well?" Yoongi asked. Taehyung took his phone and showed Yoongi a video clip of Seokjin singing to Park Hyoshin's song at the karaoke machine.

"You know, his girlfriend praised his vocals. She said it's like pure crystal! It should be rare to find vocalists like this."

Yoongi listened to his singing for a while, before slightly nodding. "Go find him. He's the one."

"I'm just worried if he'll accept or not. He's not quite confident about his singing." Namjoon said.

"Just ask. You'll never know!" said Taehyung, Yoongi and Jimin at the same time. 

"Fine, we'll ask about that later on," Namjoon said before looking at his watch. Darn, it's time to go to work.

"Guys, gotta go!" exclaimed Namjoon while stuffing everything into his bag before swinging the door, making it banged very loud.

"WHEN ARE YOU COMING BACK?" Taehyung popped his head out of the door and shouted.

"AROUND FIVE!"

"I'm going to fetch him anyway," said Hoseok.

===

Namjoon was waiting at the bus stop while arranging his schedules and appointments next week. Since his leg still hurt, he decided to leave earlier so that he wouldn't be late for work. Without himself noticing, he was walking closer and closer to the road while typing on his phone. Even worse, it just rained so there was quite a big puddle of water in front of Namjoon. Namjoon just typed and typed, mumbling words only he could hear.

"So, when am I available for dinner with my pals?" he asked himself.

Perhaps he was too into his phone, plus he was listening to music with earphones, he wasn't aware that a motorcycle was coming speedily. The motorcycle was going towards the puddle of water in front of Namjoon. 

"Young man, watch out!" A kind old lady called Namjoon. 

Before Namjoon could even turn back and asked what had happened, the motorcycle went past the puddle, causing water to splash about. Of course, Namjoon became the victim of that incident.

Looking at the motorcycle, then his wet jeans, and then the motorcycle again, Namjoon couldn't even spurt out a word. 

"Young man, I told you to be careful. Aish, young people nowadays are glued to their phones and they're not aware of the surroundings..."

The people behind chattered about the incident, making Namjoon more uncomfortable. Firstly, he blamed himself for being so absent-minded. Second, he definitely wanted to find out who did that to him.

Then he recalled the approximate outfit of the motorcyclist - well, there were actually two people riding the motorcycle. One of them was a guy wearing a blazer, and the other, perhaps a girl, was wearing a red checkered jacket, black jeans and red high heels.

Wait! I've seen the outfit before! Namjoon thought. "It must be her!"

===

Well, Namjoon was right.

~~~FLASHBACK~~~

"Hey, honey? Is something wrong?" Gwangryeol was concerned seeing his girlfriend pouting while entering the practice room.

"You know that guy? Who broke your snow globe? We just bumped into each other again!"

"Um, yeah. So?"

"He literally BUMPED into me and said I did that to him!" Shin Jimin fake cried.

"Aww, man, that should be bad..."

"Oppa! What should I do!" Jimin pouted.

"I don't know though..."

===

At 1 pm, Jimin and Gwangryeol finished their rap duet practice in one of the practice rooms, so they went to have lunch. But before that, they went to the carpark to get Gwangryeol's motorcycle.

Once they rode out of campus, Jimin saw a familiar silhouette at the bus stop. It's that guy whom she'd been dreadfully hating recently! Moreover, God must be helping her since the guy is standing in front of a puddle!

"Oppa!" she called, "It's our best chance to take revenge now!"

"What?" her boyfriend asked.

"The guy's over there!" she pointed at the said person.

Her boyfriend saw the person too and decided to ride over the puddle and make him wet. "I'm gonna teach him a lesson for fooling with my girlfriend."

And there the motorcycle went past the puddle, making the guy at the bus stop wet and causing a chaos there.

"Did I do a good job?" Gwangryeol turned back and asked his girlfriend.

"YAS! You are a hero!" said Jimin while hugging him tight from behind.

 

~(A/N)~

First of all, I'm apologising for numerous times because this is definitely a super duper late update. Wow, it's like two months. I'm sorry dear readers (>.<)

Anyway, it's been super busy for me during the holidays. I seldom have the time to touch the computer (I EXPECTED TO BE FREE MOST OF THE TIME!), and whenever I'm free, I just couldn't write something satisfying. Plus, I'm kind of super messed up with the story's plot, so it took me a long time to finish this and think what would the outcome be in the next few chapters.

This latest chapter is out already anyway. Hope you guys would enjoy~ But I'm afraid I might be busier than usual during the next month because it's a new school year for me! So let's hope that everything is okay.

It's the last 12 days (today inclusive) of 2017! Aww, I'm so sad to let 2017 go! I've got lots of memories in this year. But then my goal was to let 2018 be a blissful year, so let's hope for a better future too!

P.S. Due to the busy days, I might be having a hiatus in January (until unknown time). I'll also take the chance to organise my plot better, so... please wait for further updates!

Once again, thank you and hope you enjoy this chapter~