Chapter 9: Nightmare?

The Trio.

/Reminder: So I've updated 2nd part of the previous chapter. I have to remind once again just in case some readers missed that said part/


Namjoon was finally home at about 1 a.m. and he looked tired. It's because he spent more than two hours battling with his sprained ankle while walking back home from his workplace. Walking was never this bothersome to him. 

Back then when he was in the storeroom of the shop, finding some remaining stock for snacks, he walked very fast while searching through every rack. He had to save time because the shop was short of staff members at the moment. Youngjae, his partner, have to stay at the counter while he was restocking. 

Perhaps because he was too fast, Namjoon couldn't balance himself and tripped over something. He fell down and hit his head. Moreover, he sprained his ankle. Wow, nice, he thought. He'll definitely reach home very late.

His shift ended at 11.30p.m. and he had to walk home after that because he might or might not catch the last bus of the day. He couldn't walk like normal because he had to drag his injured right foot as it hurts a lot. He had put on some medicine on the injured part but it doesn't seem to work.

When he opened the door of his home, he saw nobody there. Perhaps everyone's asleep at the moment. Namjoon put the 3 cans of Cola he bought from his workplace into the fridge and then prepared for bedtime. The cans of Cola are for his two brothers and Mingyu. 

Namjoon looked at the mirror in the bathroom and saw himself with very deep eyebags. He also became slightly thinner because he didn't have enough rest and any chance to relieve his stress. First of all, he has school work, which is always tiring. Lots of assignments and projects and research and... he just couldn't list out everything. Whenever he's free, he wanted to check his SNS accounts just like how his other friends could, but he just had to finish those assignments of his. 

Secondly, work. Working part-time while studying is definitely hard, and he has to endure. He needs money. His brothers also need money. He's considered as the sole breadwinner of the family. Although his parents will send money to him every month, he felt that the money he received won't be enough. Soon, Wonwoo is going to start studying in university or college, and the fees are absolutely high. Most importantly, he wanted the three of them to have a good life. Maybe even better than what they want. 

Therefore, Namjoon would rather give up his time to slack off. His shift hours are longer than the other staff members of the store, and he's okay with that.

But looking at the mirror now, Namjoon knew that he was really extremely tired. He needed a rest. Although it might be a short one, he needed it. At least he wanted to sleep and reboot.

Namjoon quickly brushed his teeth and washed his face before going to bed. HE NEEDED SLEEP! He didn't care how dirty he was because HE'S TOO TIRED AND JUST NEEDED TO SLEEP.

Within five minutes after he lied down, he's already in his dreams.

===

Wonwoo was wide awake although it was already 1 a.m. He seriously didn't want himself to be like that, but he couldn't make himself fall asleep. There he was, silently listening to the sounds Namjoon made when he reached home. He heard his brother putting something into the fridge. He heard running water from the washroom. He even heard Namjoon's groaning noises. Perhaps hyung's injured?

It's just too silent for him to listen to everything clearly. There's almost no sound in his room, excluding Mingyu's snoring on top. Wonwoo blinked for a few times. 

Finally, Namjoon entered his room and closed his door. Then it's silent again, still excluding Mingyu's snoring.

Earlier Mingyu asked him if he was alright and had no problems. He assured his friend that he's alright because he thought that it's not right for Mingyu to solve his problems when Mingyu obviously looked down. But, he knew he wasn't alright.

Darn, he was waiting for a chance to talk with Namjoon personally about the email and more news about his parents. He just missed them so much. He didn't get to keep in touch with his parents (because he stubbornly refused to) when he was young. And when he finally felt like wanting to meet them or at least tell them he's fine, he couldn't get the way to contact them. He knew Namjoon had their email, but he just didn't have the guts to talk to his brother to get the email. 

Wonwoo had a lot of things to tell his parents. He wanted to tell them that he finally reached 1.8 meters tall like how he wanted to when he was young. That he's learning how to cook now. That he's unsure if he could do well in the final exams this year. That he's...

Having bad dreams about his parents often. And scared if his parents would leave him alone forever. 

Suddenly he just felt so unsure and insecure. What if his parents didn't bother to even care about his concerns? What if they won't ever read his emails because they're always too busy? What if one day they ditch him? What if one day, everyone around him ditches him and leaves him alone? What if one day, Mingyu or his brothers would finally say "I'm really sick of you and your insecurity.", or "Oh god leave me alone!"? What if...

"Dang it!" he shouted. Umm, he's too loud maybe. Then, he stopped and listened if Mingyu was wakened up or something. Luckily the latter was still sleeping soundly.

"No more negative thoughts," he whispered to himself after ensuring everything was alright, "be positive and sleep."

Then he shut his eyes tight hoping that he could fall asleep.

===

Wonwoo woke up to find himself not in his bedroom. "Where am I?" he asked while wandering to his surroundings. He can't see anything around him. Only endless white walls. And he looked down to find himself still in the same clothes as when he fell asleep. Strange. But the bed is wider. Suddenly he heard someone wearing high heel shoes while walking towards him.

He knew who that was. She was just too familiar to him. 

"Mom," he mumbled.

"Hi, son! I'm going to work now with your dad. Have fun in school today~ Study hard and eat well too~" the woman said in a warm tone. Oh, how much did he miss that familiar tone!

"Mom..." Wonwoo tried calling his mother again, hoping that the woman would just turn around and look at him for just one more moment. However...

"Your dad is calling me outside so I have to go now~ Let's meet tonight, okay?" the woman said without looking back."

"Alright, bye mom," said Wonwoo. Darn, why was everyone so busy even in dreams? WHY WOULDN'T THEY SPARE SOME TIME FOR HIM? 

Or maybe, he just needed to be patient? Wonwoo sat on the bed while thinking silently. At the same time, he just watched his mother's figure going further and further away from himself.

Suddenly, he snapped out of his mind. He should have caught up with his mother! 

While his mother's figure could still be clearly seen, Wonwoo stood up and ran towards her mother. He was closer and closer to his mother until he suddenly hit something. He rubbed his eyes and looked closer, but he saw nothing. Once again he charged towards the front and was hit again. He couldn't move forward. He tried banging his fist on the invisible wall, hoping to get a response from his mother going further and further away from him. But there was no response. She was still walking away from Wonwoo. 

Wonwoo continued hitting the invisible wall, hoping to break it. His body was in pain terribly now, due to him hitting the wall harder and harder. Thinking that hitting that wall forever wouldn't work, he walked towards the left, hands not leaving the invisible wall, hoping to find an exit out. After walking a few steps to the left, he could finally find the end of the wall and continue running towards his mother, still walking but for an unknown reason, in slow motion. Taking that as a chance to get nearer to her, Wonwoo ran faster until he bumped into... nothing for another time. It was probably another invisible wall, Wonwoo again searched for the end of the walls, but then he realised there was another wall perpendicular to it. "."

He's in an invisible maze now, and he couldn't find the way out. 

Knowing that he was in trouble, Wonwoo tried hard to get out of the so-called invisible maze to get his mother. He rushed towards every direction to see if it's free to go or not, and if he got hit he changed the direction. He couldn't think rationally nor make strategies at the time.

Eventually, he finally got out of the maze, at least he thought so. He was running forward without any obstacles for a long time. When he was almost there, he suddenly got hit again. "Why was there another invisible wall if the maze had ended?" he asked himself. Knowing all the strategies, he started to find his way out again. But the maze must be joking him. 

While finding his way out, he started thinking why could his mother pass through every wall and he's just stuck there. 

He was walking sideways with his hands always on the wall for a very long distance, and at the end, there was another wall perpendicular to it. Maybe he took the wrong way, he thought. So he walked to the other side and realised there was also a wall at the end. 

"What?" he couldn't believe himself. 

After searching around, he realised that at the end he's just being trapped in an invisible room, without any way out. Not willing to accept fate, he tried charging towards the walls again, only resulting in lots of hitting, lots of pain. He's aching now, not physically but emotionally. He knew he had no way out at the end, and he just couldn't do anything while the person he really really wanted to meet was walking really slowly, further and further from him. 

He felt so helpless. He had never ever felt so helpless in his entire life. 

He wanted to go back to the origin, but reality then struck him. He didn't know the way back, and he was too tired to find a way to. 

He turned around looking at the surroundings, and all he could see were still white walls. Endless white walls.

By now, Wonwoo was too tired to do anything. He couldn't do anything anyway. Anything except being helpless. 

He knelt down and started crying. He was mentally devastated by what happened to him in his dreams. He repeatedly called for his mom as loud as he could, but as he expected, no response was heard.

He felt not only helpless but useless now. He really couldn't do anything except facing fate, facing what he didn't ever want to face. 

Without stopping, he just cried till he fell onto the floor. Slowly, the surroundings started to darken until he could only see pitch black.

===

Mingyu was suddenly awake because of two reasons. First, he could hear Wonwoo tossing upon his mattress below, and he knew maybe Wonwoo couldn't sleep well. Seriously, Wonwoo was even sleep-talking. He couldn't quite hear what Wonwoo's saying clearly, but he's definitely concerned about that matter. Secondly, he wanted to pee.

He climbed down the ladder of the bunk bed extremely carefully, to prevent himself form waking Wonwoo up. Then he walked to the door and tip-toed out of the room slowly.

After finishing his "personal matters", Mingyu went back into Wonwoo's bedroom. He was going to climb up the ladder but he hit his toe accidentally at the leg of the ladder. He made a small yelp but instantly stopped after that. He heard something he wouldn't want to hear.

Wonwoo was sobbing. It might not be loud but Mingyu could clearly hear that. "Won," he called. But Wonwoo didn't respond to that. Then Mingyu knew that Wonwoo was still asleep, and definitely was again having a bad dream (more like a sad one). Mingyu went closer to take a look at Wonwoo, and his heart throbbed a little. Wonwoo was all curled up at one side of the bed, shivering. Mingyu wondered what happened to his friend in the dream he was having now, and why would he have bad dreams so often. 

Mingyu wanted to adjust Wonwoo's blanket so that Wonwoo would feel warmer and better. But then he realised that it may not be that effective. Wonwoo needed some comfort and security. He couldn't bear seeing his best friend suffer like that. He should do something.

Given that Wonwoo was just sleeping at a small part of the bed, Mingyu decided to also get onto Wonwoo's bed and sleep beside him. The bed was quite small, but thankfully, Mingyu could find a suitable position and posture to lie down beside Wonwoo. 

Looking at Wonwoo beside him, Mingyu couldn't help but felt sorry for his friend. Sometimes Wonwoo preferred hiding things to himself (despite him telling Mingyu not to do so earlier) and Mingyu couldn't do anything else to help him more other than just staying by his side. As Wonwoo's best friend, he hoped that he could really make Wonwoo feel better, or he could help Wonwoo out. 

Was it sympathy? Mingyu actually felt quite bad towards Wonwoo. He couldn't have quite a complete family in his life, and he couldn't enjoy his days happily with his parents. Wonwoo actually missed his parents but he decided to act like he didn't care at all. People at his age were all having close bonds with their family (including Mingyu himself), but Wonwoo wasn't only physically far away from his parents, they also seemed to have a distant relationship. Namjoon is also busy with his work and academics. Chan has his own life too. Basically, Wonwoo didn't have anyone to open up to in his family.

I really hope someday they could reunite with each other. Mingyu thought.

Wonwoo was still shivering, so Mingyu slowly wrapped both his arms around Wonwoo's body and tried patting his back, hoping that this could comfort the latter. Some sobs could still be heard from Wonwoo.

Eventually, Wonwoo stopped sobbing and shivering. Mingyu could feel Wonwoo breathing normally. But he didn't want to leave the bed because he was afraid Wonwoo would not be alright.

So there they were, cuddling while returning back to their dreams.

===

The next morning, Wonwoo woke up with somehow sore eyes. He wondered why were his eyes that painful while he placed his hands on his face, trying to wake himself up. Then he realised there were tear stains on his cheeks. Uh-oh.

He tried turning around but was a bit taken aback after seeing a giant sleeping beside him. Why was he beside me? How could he... I mean how could both of us fit in a single bed like this? Moreover, his sight trailed from Mingyu's head to his shoulders to his arms and - Wait, what? Wonwoo was shocked to see himself in Mingyu's arms. So did we cuddle while I was in my bad dream or something?

After connecting every dot, Wonwoo seemed to know what happened roughly. Wow, that's unexpected. He low-key felt sorry for Mingyu because he probably woke Mingyu up and Mingyu couldn't have enough sleep.

Wonwoo continued observing the snoring giant until he saw a part of Mingyu's abdomen being exposed. He wanted to cover the exposed skin up but decided not to. First of all, he's afraid if that would wake his friend up, and besides that -

Hey, he looks y like that. Wonwoo thought. But then within a second, Wonwoo mentally slapped himself. What on earth are you thinking, Jeon Wonwoo? WHAT! ON! EARTH! 

However, he just couldn't stop himself and kept on looking at the guy beside him sleeping soundly. Suddenly, Mingyu moved a little and that made Wonwoo taken aback. Mingyu yawned and then opened his eyes.

They were looking straight at each other for a moment until Mingyu broke the silence. "Good morning, Won," said Mingyu with a husky voice.

"Er... morning..." Wonwoo replied. He had to admit that Mingyu's slightly hoarse voice when he woke up was quite... attractive? And his messy bed hair, well Wonwoo didn't know how to describe that feeling in his guts right now. Wait, what did you...?

"Are you alright?" asked Mingyu.

Wonwoo just smiled bitterly. Mingyu knew the answer.

"DId you sleep well? Hope I wasn't too loud till I woke you up?" Wonwoo asked.

"It's fine, I just wanted to pee." 

Wonwoo laughed a little upon hearing the reply. 

"Thanks though, man. That was kind of embarrassing..." Wonwoo said while staring at Mingyu's arms around his body.

"No, it's nothing," said Mingyu until he looked at where Wonwoo was looking at and shrugged his arms away. "I'm so-"

"No, it's fine."

Then there's another moment of silence. Mingyu got up from the bed and asked if Wonwoo wanted to talk. Wonwoo hesitated for a while before he said, "It's nothing, actually, I just suddenly wanted to get in touch with my parents and that's all."

"After so many years, are you sure they are still approachable?" Mingyu asked.

"Umm, yeah, I think. They just sent money to us a few days ago."

"You got their contacts or what?"

Wonwoo sighed. "I hope so. I wanted to get it from Namjoon hyung, but he's just so busy recently. I can't even talk to him for a minute or two."

"Shall I talk to him or what? Maybe pass a message?"

"No, don't, DON'T!" Wonwoo was a bit worried. "I'll just... umm... he could just take his time."

"But..."

"He's really busy though, and I know why. He has to work and study at the same time. His eyebags are heavier and heavier and... he just needs some rest."

Wonwoo was considerate enough to know that he shouldn't always disturb his brother (anyway that's not a disturb at all -.-||)

"Then, just make sure you could have a chance to talk to him, alright?" MIngyu said while he was standing up. "I'll go to the washroom to wash up and then prepare for breakfast."

"No," said Wonwoo, still sitting on the bed while smiling towards Mingyu, "I'll do it."

"Fine," Mingyu said before opening the door. He turned back and asked, "Are you ready to go out yet?"

"Just a minute."

After Mingyu left the room, Wonwoo sighed heavily. But then, he smiled a little because he was grateful to have his best friend who understood him. Guess it's not worth to feel negative after all. Nevertheless, it was another bad dream last night, and Wonwoo almost lost count to the number of such dreams he had throughout his life. He hoped everything could be solved as soon as possible.

"Let's just welcome another good day," he said to himself before getting up and leaving his room for the day awaiting him ahead.


A/N

Hey guys it's a new chapter wooooooooooo~ Hope you guys enjoyed it~ Anyway I really hope that I could update as frequent as this. I seriously cringed a bit when I wrote the parts starting from the bad dream Wonwoo had (I really wanted to write heart-tormenting scenes but I definitely have to work hard for better results.) If you have anything to say, no matter it's suggestions, questions or criticism, feel free to comment.  I'm willing to interact with you guys~

I think that I should focus on Namjoon for the next chapter @.@

Short A/N here, so bye~ and until we meet again~