Chapter 1

The Trio.

"Hyung~ I'm home~" A loud voice filled the whole apartment unit right after the door was opened. Chan stepped into his home and closed the door quietly. "Where's hyung?" He felt confused as he did not see his brother welcoming him home like he usually did.

He went into his brother's room just to find out that the room was empty. Then he went to his room to put his bag and basketball down. He had just finished playing basketball with his friends, which was the reason why he was an hour late than his brother to reach home. 


There are three rooms in Chan's apartment unit with his two elder brothers. Each of them occupies a room for himself. Visitors can definitely differentiate which room is whose just by looking at the stuff and decorations in the room. Before the story continues, I'll briefly talk about that. There's a double-decker bed painted maroon in Wonwoo's room. A guest simply comes for a sleepover once a fortnight, and he also slept in Wonwoo's room whenever night comes. There are a small desk and a bookcase full of books about classic literature next to the bed. Chan's room has a big Michael Jackson poster pasted on the wall. Beside the poster was another Kobe Bryant's poster. They are Chan's two idols. The blanket on his bed is always left without being folded. Another room is their elder brother, Namjoon's. There are not much stuff, only some manuscript papers scattering on the desk. There's also a standing photo frame of his family photo on the desk. 


Chan went out of the room, being curious about where did his brother go. It was then he saw Wonwoo lying lazily on the couch in the living room. He's sleeping.

"Why have I not found him sooner?" Chan mumbled, ruffling his hair. He felt hungry, so he decided to search through the fridge for some food.


The kitchen of their apartment unit is quite simple without any unnecessary stuff. A microwave oven and a stove attached to the counter will do. They seldom cook. Most of the time they just eat out or buy lunchboxes from the place Namjoon's working at.


Just when Chan opened the fridge, he heard Wonwoo getting up from the couch, stretching his body.

"Oops, hyung. Sorry for waking you up..." 


"It's not your fault though, I woke up naturally," Wonwoo looked at his younger brother after rubbing his eyes gently. "Oh, you're hungry? I guess we'll get some fruit to eat by now. About two hours later, our hyung will bring us to dinner," He got up and went to the kitchen. "Apples or kiwis?" he asked.


"Apples!" Chan answered right away. "Kiwis are sour..."


"Peeled?" Wonwoo asked again. Chan nodded. "Then take a shower first. I'll peel one for you." Wonwoo said as he picked up a small knife from the drawer.


When Chan was in the bathroom taking his shower, Wonwoo thought about a lot of things. He wanted to have his eyes closed just for a moment. But he just accidentally fell asleep. He didn't sleep well yesterday night. He was already awake at 1 am, and no matter how much he tried to go back to his dreams, he just couldn't. 


When Chan finished his shower, the apples are already ready. Apparently, Wonwoo wanted one for himself too.


They sat down facing each other at the dining table and enjoyed their apples.


"Sorry, Chan. I just wanted to have my eyes closed and calm my mind down. That's all. I've never thought I'll be sleeping for almost an hour," Wonwoo said.


"It's nothing. You're just tired. Not enough sleep yesterday?"

"Er..." Wonwoo hesitated for a while before he answered. "Just some school assignments. You know, I hadn't finished my essay so I burnt the midnight oil and got it all done."


For a moment there's only silenced in the apartment.


"You're lying, aren't you? You never leave your homework undone till so late," Chan looked at his brother, suspecting his words.


"Well, yes I'm lying," Wonwoo sighed. His brother knew it all.


"Lovesick or nightmares?" Chan asked. The first option was obviously not the answer.

"Yeah, nightmares," Wonwoo answered honestly. Then he took a bite of his apple. "Last night, I had a nightmare and it made me awake for five hours before the alarm rang."


"You missed Dad and Mom again...?"


"Well... In my dream, I was sitting facing Dad. He was talking to me about some stuff I really don't want to hear. About how Mom married once again with him when I was already born. About how pathetic was Mom's life before being with Dad."


Wonwoo could still clearly remember that day when his father told him everything about his background, his mother's story and why he was in the family. He seriously hated to know the truth. He'd rather decide not to know the truth and let beautiful lies make his eyes blind. He'd rather think that he is one with his family.

The fact is he has no blood relation with almost everyone in the family. 


"Dad was telling me everything, like how he was back then. The difference was, in the dream I wanted to answer him so bad, but I just couldn't. My mouth was stayed shut no matter how hard I tried. I couldn't even move a single muscle. All I did was sitting there looking blank, with lots of thoughts in my mind. I just... wanted to comfort him at least, but I couldn't. I just sat there seeing Dad about to cry... and I couldn't reply to any of his questions." Wonwoo felt like crying, but he told himself not to do so.

Chan just sat there listening to his brother.


It wasn't the first time Wonwoo had nightmares about his parents. There was once when Wonwoo dreamt about being at the funfair with his parents. His parents went for a ride at the Ferris wheel. They told Wonwoo to spot them when the ride started. Once they were going up in one of the cabins of the Ferris wheel, Wonwoo glued his eyes but he couldn't see anything. But he heard his parents shouting "WE LOVE YOU" loudly when the cabin his parents were in, was on top. He thought his parents were hiding themselves in the cabin, but when the ride ended and Wonwoo searched for his parents in every cabin, he just found out that every of them was left empty. He felt like hell knowing that his parents disappeared in the cabin just like that for an unknown reason. He knelt down on the floor, crying.


That was when Wonwoo woke up and realised that he was crying in real life throughout the dream.


Similar nightmares happened always.


"Tell them you miss them. Send them an e-mail or a voice message. Let them hear your voice or see your face. Tell them you're living well," Chan said, "I mean WE'RE living well by ourselves here."


Their parents haven't been ever back to Seoul for once since they moved to the States. They still support their children economically. 


"They haven't heard a lot from you recently," Chan told his brother.


"Shut it, finish your apple now," Wonwoo refused to reply to Chan's statement. "And finish your homework after the apple. We're going to Namjoon hyung's store later."

"Alright, but teach me how to solve those Mathematics questions. They're giving me a headache. Later Miss Kim is going to write a big 'TERRIBLE' on my worksheet." Chan requested. His Maths teacher, Kim Taeyeon is just so mean when it comes to marking worksheets. She's also Wonwoo's Mathematics teacher. (I SPOT LAOYAN HAHAHAHAHAHA)


"Nah, just don't get the concepts wrong and you'll be alright. Don't overthink so much. Partial fractions are just easy." Wonwoo assured.


"I have to! My aim is to score well in exams."

"Yes I know, so try doing them yourself. I'll check your answers later." 

 

----

 

While Chan's having a war with his Maths homework, Wonwoo who had nothing to do decided to write something. "Rap or a poem?" he thought. But soon he decided to write a ballad song. Wonwoo likes writing songs when he is free, especially lyrics. He thinks that poetic lyrics are key to a successful song. They should make listeners feel that they aren't the only ones who suffered from some difficulties.

That was when Chan came in. "Hyung, you're writing something again?!" He exclaimed. "When can we have something like collaboration? Maybe a song written and performed by the two of us. I want to do so..." 


"Wait till you become older," Wonwoo said. Then he grabbed Chan's worksheets to check his answers. 


"Here, number 19, you've eaten the 2 during this step."

"-3+2 equals to 1? Are you kidding me?"

"Remember to include your negative sign when you write your answers."
"Change the signs here and here too."


Wonwoo stated out some mistakes from Chan's worksheet.


"Gosh, that's really a lot!" Chan exclaimed.


"It's okay. Your carelessness matters. Use your calculator to check your answers next time you finished though."


"Thanks, hyung. But sometimes I wonder, your Maths are so god-like, but why do you prefer language subjects over Maths?" Chan asked curiously.


"It's just feeling, you know, if you feel like liking something, just let it be. I enjoy language classes more."


"Yeah. If you feel like wanting to talk to Dad, just send an e-mail to him." Chan joked.


Wonwoo didn't reply but stared at Chan instead. Then he told him to correct the mistakes before it's too late. They were about to go to their brother's store now.


Just when Wonwoo finished everything for his lyrics except for the chorus, he received a text message from his elder brother.


"Come here now. I'm about to end my shift 30 minutes later. Consider what do you guys want for dinner." 


After getting ready, Wonwoo and Chan got out and started walking to where their brother work. The 7-12 convenience store is not far away from where they live.


On the way, they talked about Wonwoo's song almost being done. "Damn. I'm always stuck when it comes to the chorus."


catchy enough. You know, I find them too hard to be learnt. There are a lot of newbies in my club," Chan said. He's one of the ace dancers and choreographers in the Street Dance Club of his school."I know that feeling. I'm choreographing something new, but I can't think of an appealing point move..."


"It's already successful to be able to choreograph something just by listening to a song."


"Hey hyung, don't you think if the three of us form an idol group, we'll be a perfect trio. Namjoon hyung can compose the melody, you'll do the lyrics and I choreograph for our live stage. Sounds fun, huh?"


"Sounds good," I hope we could do it once, Wonwoo thought.


"Should I focus on the hands' movement, or the legs'?" Chan asked for his brother's opinion.


"It's better to focus on whether the moves show a meaning if it's a meaningful song."


"Meaning?"


"They should be able to help viewers to interpret the lyrics," Wonwoo said.


"Er, I need some time to understand this..."


"Alright but stop thinking about that now. Choose what you want for breakfast tomorrow. I'll buy some groceries," Wonwoo said when they get into the store.

 

------------------------------------

 

A/N I can hear Armies crying for RM's appearance. I promise he'll be introduced in the next chapter. I originally wanted to include RM and some other people in the first channel but er I have no time and my energy is almost used up... AND I DID NOT REALISE IT HAD ALREADY BEEN SO LONG so...

 

Gotta go step by step when I plan stories because some bits of the plot are already formed in my mind before this is posted. They should be in Chapter 2X or 4X but seriously CAN I JUST JUMP TO THAT CHAPTER? TT.

 

Do anticipate my next chapter. Okay I'll focus it on RM. I PROMISE!