Chapter 11: Some People Care A Lot

The Trio.

It's Tuesday, half past five in the morning and sun hadn't even risen yet. Wonwoo, again, couldn't sleep. He hates the feeling when he's already having a lot of emotional problems, and then there's stress from school, lots of tests upcoming that made him nervous because he's afraid if he wouldn't have enough time to skim through the textbook at least, and also things that happened on him, related to someone else.

Mingyu. Fine, Wonwoo admits that he actually minds random skinship, but that's when the person who initiated it is also random. But Mingyu is not random - he's his best friend. What's up with the mixed feelings after those incidents recently? Had Wonwoo been really minding skinship with Mingyu? Eh? He couldn't answer himself. "To me, it was absolutely fine..."

Wonwoo picked his phone up from his desk and, as naturally as a reflex action, tapped onto the e-mail icon. 

Drafts (1)

He stared on the section of the app for a long time. Maybe he should send his e-mail to his parents now, knowing that it's near to impossible for him to return to his dreams in just 50 minutes' time. He clicked into the draft and started to compose his e-mail -- wait, he didn't start. He blankly stared at the incomplete e-mail, still unsure what to send to his parents. If it's an essay in class, his ideas would have flooded out so fast that he would feel overwhelmed. But his brain couldn't even squeeze out a word at the moment.

"Gosh, how could I send the e-mail when I don't even have their e-mail address yet?" Wonwoo reminded himself. He should've talked with Namjoon, but his elder brother was so busy recently, and he himself is also facing lots of issues (Wonwoo can see how much stress Namjoon was facing, especially these days since they're having a performance for their carnival two weeks later) Wonwoo couldn't choose but try to sleep again.

===

"And then I was wet!" said Namjoon with a slightly high volume. Everyone in the cafeteria looked at him. Hoseok, sitting in front of him, almost choked on his coffee.

"Man, how luckier could you have been?" joked Hoseok. Namjoon rolled his eyes before munching another spoonful of his kimchi fried rice.

"You've gotta be kidding me! Is that what you call 'lucky'? Eh? I had to rush back to my home and changed into new clothes! My leg is still injured and although I was running, it's still too slow!"

"So, did that affect your injury?"

"You bet it. And - what's more disastrous - when I reached the store, our holy manager was there! Yes, I was late for five minutes, and he scolded me like hell! Damn, at least I tried!"

"He didn't even listen to your explanation?"

"Yes."

"Man, now this is what I call unlucky." Hoseok sighed while reaching over to tap Namjoon's shoulder.

"All unlucky incidents that happened recently are all related to that gal! Remember when I literally bumped into her in the library? Gosh, she's a person that brings misfortune!"

"Then, are you planning to do some ritual stuff to get rid of her?"

"I couldn't even guarantee my leg will be completely recovered before the official rehearsals of the carnival performances! How can I have time to plan anything to get rid of her?"

"Plan a revenge!"

"Dude, I don't fight with girls. I'll surely lose. Morality always stands by females."

Namjoon sighed after he himself stated the cruel truth. He poked the yolk of the sunny-side-up on his plate aggressively with his fork to express his anger towards the girl that 'brings misfortune'.

"Dude! Chill!" hoseok calmed Namjoon down. Namjoon shook his head and drank his iced tea.

"So, we are having practice today, right?" Hoseok asked while flipping over his black planner with a leather cover.

"Can I not go?"

"Why? Feeling sick?"

"Yea. Of someone's attitude."

"Hey, that girl ain't even related to our ban-"

"No, Hoseok..." Namjoon shook his head and sighed. There was a moment of silence after that.

Hoseok was drawing some doodles on his planner. "It's all about Yoongi then, isn't it? Aish. He's like that. You have known him for ages you should know his temper. He's doing this for the sake of the performance."

"Yes, and he literally did everything, without notifying even me! Like, why on the actual earth should we recruit new blood?"

Namjoon had a point. He's the actual leader of the band. Yoongi is more like a wise man in the group, but the leader is supposed to make final decisions.

"But 'DNA is a vocal-based song," Hpsepk took Namjoon's iced tea and had a sip, earning a glare from the owner, "you should have known that. Jimin can't handle everything-"

"Yes, yes. But he really should've discussed with me. He's doing everything behind my back now and I'm... triggered?"

"Hmmm..." Hoseok started constructing his advice. "Well, I empathise how you feel. You're the leader and you should be in charge of making most of the important decisions for the sake of the whole team. But Yoongi also cares for the band. Think about it, you were like drifted away by that 'Miss Misfortune', and you've been overworking. You have to take care of your studies, work, your brothers, finance of the whole family... Yoongi wouldn't want to burden you more."

Namjoon actually agreed.

"Some people tend to always put on a cold face, but they actually care a lot deep inside," Hoseok added. "Both of you should really talk. Should I call him here?" Hoseok scrolled through his Instagram, and then took a picture of Namjoon before posting it on his Instagram story. #BrosOverHoes.

===

Lab studies class just ended. Namjoon's quite satisfied with the data collected. At least it isn't problematic. 

Namjoon had been yawning since the start of the experiment. He thought that having a coffee in the coffee shop at the campus would be a good idea, as he needed caffeine for him to stay awake throughout the upcoming practice session, so he went there and ordered a cup of iced Mocha, and then went to the sofa seats area and sat on one of the armchairs.

He was later served with his glass of iced Mocha and a cheese tart. Namjoon took a bite of the cheese tart while looking at the bypassers. Some were reading, some were texting while walking, while others were leisurely talking with their friends, laughing out loud. Namjoon was envious - it's been a long time since he last had fun - other than sleeping. Recently, he couldn't even sleep for six hours a day.

Luckily, Namjoon didn't have to work for the day.

Namjoon's eyes were glued to the window. He envied those outside a lot. All of them at least had good "work-life balance". 

Namjoon suddenly hoped that it would rain. He wanted the rain to wash away the laziness inside his soul. And to wash away the gloom.

He remembered those times when he was in high school, he went out with Hoseok, Yoongi and his other friends. They were at a park, running around under a drizzle, casually shouting curse words to release their anger towards people they dislike in common.

Those times when Namjoon had fewer problems to face, and less stress to withstand. When he enjoyed youth to the fullest. He was able to spend more time with his friends. Hoseok, Jimin, and...

Yoongi...

Hoseok was right, he definitely should solve all misunderstandings between Yoongi and him. But how? Namjoon was drawn into deep thoughts.

Suddenly, Namjoon saw a familiar silhouette coming near to him. 

"Hi, Namjoon."

"Hello, Jin-hyung. Here for coffee?"

"Yeah," said Seokjin before he asked if the seat opposite to Namjoon was vacant. Namjoon shook his head, so Seokjin sat on the couch.

The waitress brought Seokjin's hot Latte to their table, alongside with a cheese tart.

"Thank you," Seokjin smiled at the waitress. She blushed a little and left.

"Yo, the man that's as sweet as the cheese tart he's having," Namjoon teased his cousin, "should I tell Choa to keep an eye on her sweet boyfriend?"

Seokjin chuckled.

"So," Seokjin asked, "how's your band's performance? Going well?"

"Yeah, kind of..." Namjoon hesitantly answered.

"Good, I heard that Taehyung is recruited into your band. How's he doing?"

"Oh, right, he was recruited. We're lacking vocalists so - wait..." Namjoon then remembered that he should ask Seokjin about joining the band for this performance. 

"Hyung, are you-"

"Taehyung told me, Joon."

"Really? Great then..." Namjoon was out of words.

"What do you think? Should I join?" Seokjin asked out of the blue.

"?" Namjoon was taken aback by the question. "Well... Of course you should!"

"Hmmm... I'm not sure. I'm not good at singing." Seokjin shook his head.

"NO!" said Namjoon. "Everyone in the house knows that you're a good singer. Why are you looking down on yourself?"

"Joon, it's one of your most important performances. I am sure there are more talented people out there that suits the band more than I do."

"No, Jin-hyung. We all know."

"But they haven't listened to my voice yet, Joon," said Seokjin before he took his last bite of the tart.

"You haven't even tried yet! How about that, I'm going to practice later. Go with me, I will introduce you to the others."

"No, I'm still not sure. Do I really have talent in singing? I haven't been singing for a long time, maybe my skills are... lost?"

"I'm sure your skills won't."

"Namjoon, I thank you and Taehyung for the invitation. But I need more time to think about it."

"Sure, Jin-hyung." Namjoon sipped another mouthful of his Mocha. "But you should really take it into consideration. You deserve it," said Namjoon before looking at his watch.

"Oops, I'm sorry, hyung. But I have to go now~" said Namjoon before he packed his things and prepared to leave the coffee shop.

"Bye, Namjoon. Good luck practising."

"Thanks and bye~," said Namjoon.

After Namjoon left, Seokjin continued staying in the coffee shop. He had ordered another cheese tart because honestly, how is one enough?

After finishing his order, he received a voice message on his phone from his girlfriend. "Guess who's behind you~" 

Seokjin turned around and saw his girlfriend blinking at him.

"Whoops, darling. Guess who missed you today~"

Seokjin said nothing but gave Choa a flying kiss. "Awww, it's very great to see you!"

Choa sat on the seat opposite to Seokjin (yes, where Namjoon sat), her hand holding a cup of Latte.

"How're lessons?"

"Benzenes are just... sh*t. Oops..." Choa covered upon cursing.

"Hah~"

"But seriously. What if I flunk in the upcoming exams? Jin, you should give me some mental support you know!" she said, pouting.

"You're fine. You'll pass eventually. Every time you overthink too much about exams, you'll pass at the end. Facts."

"I think we might not be able to meet so frequently later on. Seolhyun and I have to study a lot in the library."

"Ahhh... Then shall we go on a date today?"

"Ommo, that's so sudden!" said Choa.

"Why? You've got any assignments?" Seokjin asked. Choa shook her head.

"Then let's go for a movie!" said Seokjin. "Then we'll have soju later!"

"Uh... no soju, please. I have to wake up early tomorrow to study."

"But, can we go out today?"

"You mean now?"

"I'll meet you at the cinema in Solar Mall two hours later," Seokjin said excitedly.

===

That evening, Seokjin waited for Choa in front of the cinema entrance. They wanted to choose a movie together because they weren't updated about the latest movies. At that time, Namjoon sent him a text message, so he decided to talk to Namjoon while waiting for her.

Joon

 Hyung.

 Were you considering?

Not quite. I'm on a date with Choa.

Any movie recommendations?

Holy!

Are you asking me? A busy guy who doesn't
even have enough time to sleep?

Errr

Nvm then.

My friend Hoseok said there was a great romance
film currently available.

Ooooh! I'll check it out.

Hyung!

You should really take the recruitment into
consideration!

Yes. Yes.

I'll see.

Ask Choa. Even she approves!

Don't be unconfident of yourself!!!!!!

Oh btw, Good luck with your date~

Thanks~

 

"You chatting with a girl behind me?" Choa suddenly appeared beside Seokjin.

"Our Namjoon is not a girl!" Seokjin pouted.

"Hohoho, fine then. What movie are we watching?"

"Joon said 'There is Romance in the Air' is a good movie. We should check it out. Let's go!" Seokjin held Choa's hand and went to the ticket counter.

===

Unluckily, the movie tickets were all sold out. The movie was indeed getting very good responses from the people. However, since the couple doesn't have any interest in watching other films available, they decided to leave the cinema.

"Aww man, it's a waste of time!" Seokjin sighed.

"It's fine. Let's just walk around the mall. We can shop for some cute stuff," Choa tried comforting her boyfriend, "we should try booking tickets online though..."

"I don't know when can we watch movies together in the future!"

"It's fine. We can watch the pirated films at home~" Choa answered with a cute smirk. "But by now, let's just walk around and maybe talk about stuff."

"Yeah, stuff..." Seokjin recalled Namjoon's message earlier. "I've actually got something to ask."

"What's up, sweetie?"

"Hmmm... Actually, err... Do I sing well, Choa?" Seokjin hesitantly asked.

"Why not, Seokjin? You're actually a great singer!" Choa looked up to see Seokjin's hesitant face expression.

"Why are you asking this in a sudden?"

"I..." Seokjin sounded serious. "I was asked by Namjoon, earlier before you came, to join his band for a performance."

"Namjoon's band... Oh! They're performing for the school's carnival!"

"And you're performing too!"

"Right! Arghh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've totally forgotten about that! Seolhyun, Jimin and I never practised seriously!"

"But you've got it all planned?"

"Yes!" exclaimed Choa. "Wait, back to the subject. Why is he asking for you to join?"

"He said there weren't enough vocalists for the song."

"Then go! What are you waiting for? Time for Kim Seokjin to shine!"

"Choa. I'm not sure. I haven't been singing for a long time. And I have never ever performed on stage!"

"You can sing, okay?"

"Choa, I'm just worried. What if I make the whole performance turn bad? What if I sing off-tune? What if I..."

"Seokjin!" Choa stopped and turned to face her boyfriend. "Never ever deny your own ability and potential."

Choa went further by putting her hands on both of Seokjin's shoulders. "When I say you can do it, it means you can do it. And if you said to yourself that you can do it, then there's nothing else that can stop you from doing this."

"Choa..."

"You trust me, right? Jin?" Choa asked.

"Yes..."

"Then I say, you can do it," Choa hit Seokjin's shoulders.

"..."

"C'mon, just take this offer into consideration! I bet Namjoon and the others really acknowledged your talent!"

"Really?" Seokjin looks worried. 

"One doesn't know how much talent he has until he challenges himself," quoted Choa. "I can sing. You can sing. We're the best couple ever! Now, JUST! GIVE! YOURSELF! CONFIDENCE! PLEASE?"

"Alright, I'll consider."

"Jin, give me good news in the future okay! We all have trust in you. Just trust have to trust yourself," said Choa, lovingly staring at her boyfriend.

"Ahhh... I got it~" said Seokjin. 

"That's my boy," said Choa. "I'm hungry now, what's for dinner?"

"Ummm... Maybe steak? We saved our ticket fees for a move lavish dinner!" 

"Shall we split the bills-"

"My treat!" said Seokjin before Choa could finish her question.

"Ahhhhhh! I love you so much!!" Choa said while giving Seokjin a big bear hug (while walking).

"Aishh..." Seokjin patted Choa's head. Maybe, he thought, I have to try it out to know. After all, there were so many people supporting him.