Chapter 6: Cheering Him Up

The Trio.

The next day (which is still a study day), Wonwoo woke up first to prepare breakfast for the three of them. He took out the two bottles of soda and placed bread into the toaster to be toasted. He then started to cut the fresh vegetables, and also some slices of ham. He was about to fry eggs but there are no eggs in the fridge. Just when the toaster finished its job and Wonwoo placed another two pieces of bread, Chan went out of the toilet wearing his uniform, yawning. "Morning, hyung," he said. Wonwoo replied with a "Good morning" greet. Then Chan went towards Wonwoo and gave him punches at his back.

"Hyung! Why didn't you tell me?"

"What?" Wonwoo turned around and looked at Chan.

"You're joining Mingyu-hyung for basketball! What happened to you for you to go to such rare events?"

"Argh, just joining them for fun... Nope, I just needa get used to the feeling with a basketball. Who told you that?"

"Minghao! And he's going! Can I join you and the other hyungs too?" Chan asked.

Minghao is Chan's best friend, and also the younger cousin of Junhui, who is one of Wonwoo's friends. Chan and Minghao have their own group of friends, but sometimes they enjoy going out with the elder ones.

Chan pleaded so hard that at last Wonwoo allowed Chan to come along. It might be less awkward with Chan by his side, in Wonwoo's opinion.

Wonwoo finished preparing the three servings of ham sandwiches. At the same time, Namjoon rushed out of his room without even combing his hair. He went to the dining table and took his box of ham sandwiches before rushing to the front door to wear his shoes.

"Hyung," Chan called, "why are you in a hurry?"

"I have to replace my colleague's shift 'cause he's sick, so I gotta go~"

"Hyung, can I ask for something?" Wonwoo asked.

"I would like to help but I'm really in a hurry right now!" Namjoon then opened the front door. "Let's talk tonight. Bye guys. Stay safe in school." He then went out of their apartment unit and slammed the door. Wonwoo clearly heard his elder brother saying "Oops" outside.

"What do you want, hyung?" Chan asked.

Wonwoo paused for a while before answering "Nothing." He turned around and fixed Chan's bed-hair. "We're going to the mall after basketball for some grocery shopping," he told Chan.

"I want a doughnut!" Chan said. Wonwoo nodded after fixing his brother's hair.

===

Wonwoo reached his classroom as usual and sat in his chair. Then he tried to sleep. Perhaps burning the midnight oil to study for Math wasn't a good choice, but there's a test today. Kim Taeyeon, famous with her not-quite-tall and slender figure, and her meter ruler (Wonwoo wondered how could she have the strength to even lift the ruler sometimes) would punish whoever who failed the test (although it's quite impossible for Wonwoo, better safe than sorry).

Just when he's about to fall asleep, Mingyu came into the classroom and sat beside Wonwoo. "Morning," he said.

Wonwoo stretched his arms and rubbed his eyes, before greeting his best friend.

"Did you study well yesterday?" Wonwoo asked.

"Nope. I should just cheat." Mingyu said, "You don't mind, do you?"

"What? Of course, I do!" Wonwoo said, imagining his being painful after being caned by Miss Kim.

"Then I should just fail. No hopes..."

Wonwoo quite pitied his best friend there. His weakness is always Math. But one should never cheat in tests - at least be honest with yourself!

"I'll help you, not to cheat, but to prepare. Listen..." Wonwoo said before giving Mingyu a last morning lecture before the test.

The math test went out well - for both Wonwoo and Mingyu. Mingyu did not cheat even once, so Wonwoo was relieved. The test wasn't difficult though, according to Mingyu's words. He finished the questions without hesitating. Thanks to Wonwoo's special lecture.

"I wrote my answers on my table, can you check them out?" asked Mingyu.

Wonwoo agreed and read the answers on Mingyu's table. He spotted an answer different from his. He asked Mingyu about it and Mingyu assured him that it's the correct answer.

"I'm so sure I can write out all my calculation steps!"

Wonwoo, who was worried now (because who knew if he himself just made a mistake?) read through the working again. After a couple of seconds, the classmates could hear Wonwoo shouting.

"Damn! I just missed out a negative sign - AGAIN!" Wonwoo said before sighing. Sometimes he's just too careless while solving Math problems. Oh, so this meant Wonwoo had to say goodbye to another paper with full marks.

On the other hand, Mingyu was overwhelmed to know that he could finally pass his Math test with flying colours for the first time. He thanked Wonwoo for his help, but Wonwoo wasn't listening to him. He was just sighing endlessly about the mistake he made. It's so crucial to him.

And that's the reason why Wonwoo couldn't completely focus on what the teachers are talking about during the next few lesson periods.

During the first break, Wonwoo and his friends gathered at Soonyoung and Seokmin's seat for some random talk. They were talking about what they're going to have for lunch later. Soonyoung noticed how delighted Mingyu looked, and asked why. Mingyu brought up the Math test, and that's when Wonwoo who was standing next to him started frowning. That damn mistake though...

"Guys, it's a MIRACLE you know? I was having a headache about how to cheat or something about that, but luckily Wonwoo gave me a lecture this morning~ " while saying that, Mingyu wrapped his arm around Wonwoo's shoulder.

"Hey Wonwoo, why are you frowning? Did anything just happen?" Jihoon asked, feeling concerned.

"Nothing," Wonwoo answered. So it isn't obvious? he thought.

Mingyu noticed Wonwoo was still in bad mood, but he didn't know what to do to cheer his best friend up. He knew that Wonwoo had high expectations on his Math achievements, and Wonwoo would not allow a single mistake to be made. However, he still made a mistake today, and he's very disappointed with himself. Wonwoo sighed.

Mingyu (also standing) tapped on Wonwoo's shoulder to ensure that Wonwoo was okay. But Wonwoo didn't give any reaction, instead continued eating his sandwich. The others continued chatting, but Mingyu was still concerned of Wonwoo. He took a bold action by moving his hand to Wonwoo's and grabbed. Wonwoo's shocked and he almost yelled. Then he glared at Mingyu.

Why must he do this at such time?

Mingyu looked at Wonwoo before whispering "I'm sorry" by Wonwoo's ear. Wonwoo replied him with "It's not your fault." Honestly, Wonwoo's fond of Mingyu's personality by now - he's just a giant affectionate puppy and he could go beyond any level when it comes to being affectionate to his friends. He understood that Mingyu's just trying to cheer him up.

However, Mingyu didn't look like he was about to stop. While chatting with others about their lunch later (so they went back to that topic lol), Mingyu was still caressing Wonwoo's . Wonwoo had goosebumps for a second but then he let it be. Maybe those affectionate actions really work for him when it comes to cheering him up.

"So, Wonwoo, I heard that you're joining us for basketball today. Is it real?" Seokmin asked.

"Yeah, and I heard that those dongsaengs are joining us?" Wonwoo asked back.

"You mean Minghao? Yes, he's joining us," Junhui said, "and he asked Chan to join him with us too."

"I see," Wonwoo said before suddenly froze because Mingyu grabbed his again. "Stop, dude," he whispered to Mingyu. Mingyu laughed sheepishly before whispering a "Sorry".

"Anything right there? Being lovey-dovey again?" Jeonghan, standing next to Mingyu on the other side asked, with a brow raised. The other friends were already familiar with how affectionate Mingyu and Wonwoo always is. Some of them even ship the two deep inside.

"They always are." said Seungcheol, before shaking his head.

"Get your hand away from his , please," Joshua said, "I can't bear it..."

"Looks like someone's being envious because he couldn't have such moments..." said Junhui, "Jeonghan-ah, do something for Joshua."

"I... uh..." Jeongan looked at Seungcheol. "Maybe next time. By now, let's not make the spotlight turn away from the couple over there~" he pointed at Wonwoo.

"What?" Wonwoo said. "Oh, the couple thingy?" Then he pushed Mingyu away. "Do we really look like a couple?"

All except Jihoon nodded. Jihoon made that disgusted face upon hearing that.

"You guys suit each other more than Gyu and Hye-oops..." Soonyoung blabbered before realising that he made a mistake. He quickly shut his mouth with his palms. Seokmin said sorry on behalf of Soonyoung. Mingyu said it's okay but it clearly wasn't. Wonwoo noticed how Mingyu's smile faded. Maybe he should do something in return...

Speaking about that Hye girl, it's actually Hyejeong. Mingyu looked over to the table at the corner to see Hyejeong and Yuna talking with another guy in his class. It looked like Hyejeong was laughing at that guy's jokes. She even hit the guy at his shoulders while laughing out loud. Looks like Mingyu had become more bitter than he already was. Forget the Math test, he's surely in a bad mood now.

Wonwoo knew, but he couldn't think of what to do. He tried calling Mingyu, but Mingyu just flashed a smile to him and then continued being gloomy. The others are also worried of Mingyu. Seokmin continued torturing Soonyoung with lots of hitting on the latter's back. Soonyoung just mumbled lots of "Sorry" but he didn't know what to do at all. 

Wonwoo stood closer to Mingyu, and waved his hand in front of Mingyu to prevent him from blanking out. But Mingyu wasn't drawn away from his emotions. 

Gathering all of his guts, Wonwoo decided to be affectionate ONCE for Mingyu. Probably this would help. Seungcheol sort of pointed towards Mingyu's , hoping a genius like Wonwoo would know what to do. So slowly, Wonwoo's hands reached there, but then he accidentally gave a hit on it.

"Crap," Wonwoo said. Mingyu was shocked at the unexpected move so he looked at Wonwoo. Wonwoo froze. But then he realised Mingyu's bitter expression faded a little, JUST A LITTLE but as long as it helped.

So he was caressing Mingyu's for the next couple of minutes, hoping that Mingyu would feel better. Mingyu's is surely good for touching though. But it wasn't time for those thoughts. Thinking of that, Wonwoo became quite timid as he stopped.

Mingyu realised and then reached his arm to Wonwoo's shoulder and pulled him closer while trying hard not to laugh. Then Wonwoo felt friction on his shoulder due to Mingyu's friendly touches. 

"I'm okay guys," Mingyu said.

"Just give him a little time." Wonwoo finished the sentence.

The others were now relieved and continued their random chat, more careful not to touch Mingyu's sensitive topic.

===

When the final class was dismissed, the whole school became very noisy and lively once again. Students could enjoy their weekend breaks, or even sleep as late as they could. Wonwoo's friends gathered together before leaving to the basketball court few metres away from the school compound. Almost they forget the two younger ones. Wonwoo and Junhui decided to go to their dongsaeng's class to fetch them, while the others went to the court first.

Chan, Minghao and the others were still sitting a test even though the bell rang. Wonwoo and Junhui waited outside the classroom and talked in the meantime.

"I wonder what are you guys doing now in the Street Dance Club?" Wonwoo asked."

Those guys are doing an assignment. They are going to choreograph a dance based on a song in two weeks. Soonyoung and I are going to be judges. We'll choose some of those great ones to be performed on stage during carnivals or stuff later." Junhui said while staring at the sky.

"Then. how's my brother doing there?" The teacher is collecting their papers.

"He's doing quite well, his team progressed fast under his lead. However, I think something is missing. I don't know, but it kind of lacks impact. I can consider that as a 'choreographer's block', huh?"

Wonwoo laughed a little. "And Minghao?"

"Oh, my cousin. Again, both of their teams are having the fiercest competition out of all. Theyu= did quite well despite we used EDM songs."

"And did you help?"

"I can't help Minghao personally, or else Soonyoung will kill me."

"I hope my brother is okay there. You know, he's really passionate when it comes to dancing. He loves that so much."

"Your brother will succeed as a dancer in the future if that ambition is kept till he grows up. I can relate Chan and Minghao to Soonyoung and myself when we were younger."

Their dongsaeng's class finally dismissed. Chan and Minghao rushed out of the classroom upon seeing Wonwoo and Junhui outside.

"How was the test?" Junhui asked.

"I don't know. I wasn't confident with my answers."

"It's okay, you still have many to go," Junhui said before bowing to Miss Kim, also Minghao's Math teacher.

"Hyung, how's yours?" Chan asked.

Wonwoo just shook his head and sighed. Chan understood why.

"It's okay, you have many to go too~," said Chan while smiling.

"Let's not make the others wait for too long, guys. Let's go now." Junhui said to the others. Minghao was waving goodbye to Seungkwan and Vernon, who couldn't join due to English tuition. Then, they started to walk to the court where the others are waiting.