What the?!

What next?

I enter the school gates lazily, despite almost being late- I’m in no rush to get to my mentor group any time soon, it’s not like anything ever happens except I get yelled at for breathing. I walk into the room a few seconds after the bell sounds, my mentor takes a glimpse at me and rolls his eyes at my ‘tardiness’ even though the bell literally just went, so I mumble a simple ‘sorry I’m late, sir’ and take my seat nearer the back, away from everyone else. My ‘friends’ sit near me but they don’t talk to me- it’s going to be one of those days I can already tell.

Suddenly, there’s a knock at the door and the school secretary walks in guiding someone with her. I put my head back down on the desk, trying so hard to remember everything from my rushed topic-by-topic recap last night for my maths test later- God, I hate maths. “Everyone, listen up.” My mentor calls. I keep my head low. “Miss Moon, that includes you” he says abruptly. I place my arms on the desk and rest my chin on my hands, looking attentive. “Class, today we have a new student joining us from… well, she’s joining us. Please make her feel welcome, Miss Kim would you like to introduce yourself?” he beckons the new girl into the room and it’s the first time I look at her. It’s her! It’s that girl from the dream! She’s here! In my class! What??

The girl shuffles to the front where everyone could see her. “Umm… hi everyone… I’m Kim Yongsun…. I.. umm… I look forward to getting to know all of you, please make me feel welcome here” she says nervously. Everyone smiles at her. She looks just as pretty as I remember of her, but she also looks really cute stuttering. Cute? Byul, what are you thinking?! Girls aren’t cute! You don’t look at a girl and think ‘aww she’s cute’ you are Moon Byul, THE Moon Byul, so get a hold of yourself! As I internally lecture myself I can feel a blush creep up my cheeks, so I put my head down. Mr Lee’s voice brought me back to attention

“Yongsun, fortunately we have an empty seat in our group, unfortunately that seat is next to Moon Byul, she’s troublesome so please be cautious of her, everyone else in here is very friendly and will welcome you with the best of their ability” He gestures to the only empty seat in the room, the one in the corner, furthest away from everyone else, the one next to me. Really? Did she have to sit there?

“Mr Lee, I’ll move and Yongsun can have my seat amongst everyone else if you want and I’ll sit in the corner. That way she can get to know everyone else” said one of the girls a row in front of me. He looked quizzically at the girl who had spoken but then nodded “Thank you, Miss Jung, that’s awfully good of you” He turns to the new girl, “Now you can sit where Miss Jung was, surrounded by your peers” he said smiling.

“But, Sir, I don’t mind sitting in the corner if it’s going to cause inconvenience to anyone else” she said quietly. By which time, Whee In had already picked up all her stuff and was in the process of zigzagging around desks to the empty seat beside me. “Just for this week, sit among your peers and if you feel like you want to return the seat to Whee In, then you can discuss it with her” He said while gesturing to the empty chair. “Okay, sir. Thank you” the girl said meekly.

She quietly made her way across the room to the seat while Whee In dropped down quietly in the seat beside me. “Earth to Byuli! Calling Byul” she whispered in my ear while giggling. The way her breath tickled my ear made me shudder- I stopped staring at the new girl to turn to Whee In. “What’s with you today? You came in with a weird aura this morning and now you zoned out for… like five minutes staring at the new girl with your mouth wide open like a fish out of water. I know she’s pretty, but you’ve got nothing to be jealous of, Byul, really. Trust me. You’re still my favourite girl crush” she giggled. I lowered my eyebrows at her but stuck my tongue out.

“Nothing’s up, really. Just something weird’s going on, call it déja vu if you will”

“You know her? Is that why you’ve been staring at her?” she started to get excited.

“Sort of, not really. I’ll explain it later” I whisper, grabbing her hands to get her to sit still.

“Miss Moon, will you stop corrupting Miss Jung and just sit quietly until later- that’s what break time is for” Mr Lee called banging on his desk with the board rubber. I simply shot him a glare for about the fifth time this morning

“I’ll tell you about it after school if you want, meet me at the café at the bottom of the hill, bring Hyejin too, if you want” With that the bell went signalling the end of mentor time and that we had to head off to lessons.

 

Author's note: Hey again, it's been a couple of weeks since I posted the first chapter but it's taking me forever to come up with content for the story. I think I have a vague idea as to how the story is going to go, so please bear with me while I figure this out. Otherwise, enjoy this update. And thanks again. :)