Why not?

What next?

“Guys! You just missed my good news! I passed! I passed my mid-term test in literature! I know it only counts for my predicted grade, but still, top of the class is quite the achievement! I did it guys!” Whee In was so excited at her result. Hyejin grabbed the puppy’s hands and held them in her lap, her pride captivating her features, but urging Whee In to calm down.

“EEEEEYYYY! Well done Wheepup, I’m so proud of you! Top of the class? Shall we start calling you Proffessor Jung now?” Yongsun said, receiving a high five from the over-excited pup.

“Wow, Wheenie, you did great. I’m so chuffed for you. You put in so much work in you definitely deserved to do as well as you have done. I told you it’d be nothing to worry about. Who’s up for ice cream later? My treat to congratulate our little genius over here.” She got up and wrapped her arms around my waist, still grinning from ear to ear.

“Byuli, unnie, you’re acting like a proud father over there, rather than number one girl crush!” Hyejin said while laughing. “But I’m always up for ice cream if you’re buying.”

We sat down and fell into usual conversation, about classes, about gossip, about our week-end plans, about anything and everything. It felt just right, the four of us here like this.

 

We all met on the basketball courts to head over to the ice cream parlour to celebrate Whee In’s great news. Yongsun’s shoes were particularly impratical today and she kept almost falling over on the uneven pavement, so she put an arm around my shoulders while I slipped an arm around her waist to hold her upright. The walk there was filled with the maknaes planning on what they would order while Yongsun and I laughed at their childish excitement. “You guys look like parents you know, laughing at us like that. But also like such a cute couple, I swear!” Whee In said turning round once to ask us something. Hyejin looked over her shoulder and laughed at us, while agreeing with Whee In.

When we finally arrived to the new ice cream place, I was astounded by the amount of choice. There was a counter about 5 meters long with what must have been about 40 different flavours. The others laughed at my indecisiveness but cheered when I decided to order a sample of everything for us to try. We were given an array of several small bowls with ice cream, all piled onto four trays which we carried over to a booth to enjoy the treat. Whee In had insisted on sitting next to me, because she liked to act really childish and have me feed her some every so often. I must admit, the sentiment was cute. Hyejin and Yongsun sat opposite us, and every time Wheen In asked me to let her try the contents of my spoon Hyejin would just roll her eyes at us. I found a flavour that was a curious orange and asked if anyone had tried it, and if so what flavour it is. Yongsun started to make fun of me “Are you too scared to try it yourself? Is that why you’re asking.” The maknaes started laughing at her challenge.

“I’m not scared, I just want to know what it is before I try it.” I explained.

“Fine, I’ll try it, seeing as you’ve got some on your spoon I’ll try it from there, you obviously aren’t opposed to sharing germs as you and Whee In have been sharing that spoon.” I laughed at her, but I was really feeling butterflies in my stomach. If she ate off that spoon then I would have indirectly kissed her. I held my spoon out to her so she could take it, but she just pouted. She wanted me to feed her like I’d been feeding Whee In, so I gave in. Byul, stop over-thinking things. You’re just friends, after all, you and Whee In have been doing this for years. I started to close the distance towards with the spoon as she leant forward to receive the sweet treat on it. Just as she was close enough that she could eat from it, I pulled the spoon back a little and booped her on the nose with the back of it, leaving an orange smudge across her nose. She pouted at me while the maknaes laughed to the extent of almost peeing themselves from laughing so hard.

“Nice one Byul-ah!” Hyejin cheered.

“I thought you wouldn’t do it to Yongsun unnie, Byuli. Don’t worry Yongsun unnie, she did the same to me the first time too” said Whee In while wiping tears from her eyes, still laughing.

“Of course I’d do the same to Yongsun, Wheenie, it’s the funniest reaction in the world” I said, turning to her. After that I held the spoon out again to Yongsun “Seriously this time, try it” she gave me a wary glance and tried again. I wasn’t going to do it again to her, but she was cautious all the same. She closed around my spoon and closed her eyes while savouring the ice cream.

“It’s nice. Definitely nicer than you Moon Byuli” she said jokingly. The maknaes cracked all over again. I wasn’t used to this kind of comment from her, but laughed along, taking another scoop of the ice cream for myself.

“I like it. It’s sweet, but not as sweet as you, unnie.” I said, flashing a quick wink in her direction. She blushed, while the maknaes just stopped and gawked at me, and then laughed. This was normal for me, I was used to the sideways glances from them everytime I poured a little bit of grease. Yongsun just rolled her eyes at me. We finished up all of the ice cream, but I made sure we left a little bit of the orange stuff so I could go and figure out what it is. We walked up to the counter with our trays of empty bowls and thanked the staff for accommodating us. The girl that had served us, Heeyeon, a girl we all knew from school, blushed when I called her over.

“What can I do for you Moon Byuli? Was everything okay?” I laughed a little at her nervousness

“Everything was fine, thanks Heeyeon- ah. Can you tell me what flavour this one is, please?” I pointed at the bowl with the orange ice cream in it, although it resembled goo now that it had all melted. She looked at the bowl and then back at me, a small smile crossing her lips.

“It’s mango and passion fruit. It’s actually one of my favourites. Did you like it?” again, I laughed a little

“Yeah, I did. I think it was my favourite. I’d better be going, the others are waiting for me. Thanks Heeyeon-ah. I’ll see you around” I said giving the girl one of my signature smiles. She smiled back and gave me a small wave as I left.

I walked out of the store and found the others waiting. “What was that about, Byul-ah?” asked Hyejin

“Did you ask for her number, because she difintely has a crush on you?” asked Whee In.

“No, she’s just friendly. I was just asking about the ice cream. I dunno about you guys but I have a mountain of things to do once I get home, so I’d best be going. I’ll see you tomorrow.” The others nodded agreeing with me and we all bid farewell to each other. The maknaes went in one direction as Yongsun and I walked the other. I found it weird that Yongsun was walking with me, because this was the longer way to get back to her place, so I decided to ask. “Isn’t this the long way back to your place?” she stopped, and looked a little embarrassed.

“Yeah it is, but you told me this morning you’d talk me through what happened in chemistry this morning. If you’re busy, it’s fine I can just look it up. But I at least wanted to ask on the way home.” She said wringing her hands. Damn! I forgot about that!

“Oh yeah, I did, didn’t I? I’ve got a tonne of stuff that I need to do, but if you want me to, I can talk you through it at my place, if you want to come over.” I said, smiling.

“If it’s gonna hold up you getting stuff done, then don’t worry about it. If you could give me some direction, I can look it up and ask Mrs Park tomorrow.” I stopped walking. Yongsun stopped too and looked at me curiously. “Byul, you okay?”

“Yeah, I just can’t believe how stubborn you can be at times. If you want me to, I can go through it with you. It really isn’t a problem.” She started laughing at me.

“Only if you’re sure; I don’t want you to fall behind at my expense.” It was my turn to laugh.

“I’m not going to fall behind, I can do it after you’ve gone. I just wanted to get as much of my homework done tonight so I can enjoy my weekend.” She smiled at me, and then she remembered.

“You’re going home over the weekend aren’t you? And we’re all going out to the mid-term disco tomorrow night. If you’ve got a lot of work to do, don’t worry about me, I can figure it out”

“Yongsun, I’ve told you it doesn’t matter, I can help you out. I’ve only got to do a couple of essays and two sets of maths questions. It’ll only take me about four hours, and I’ve got two free periods tomorrow, it’ll be fine. Come with me” I put my arm around her waist and started walking again, she kept up with my pace despite her shoes.

“If you’re sure.” She whispered.

Author's note: Just another filler chapter for you guys this week. But I promise, from here it actually starts to get interesting (at least I think it does). I've got really important exams coming up in a couple of weeks so I think I'm going to put this story on hiatus for about a month until they're over (I might give you guys an update next week before they start, or whenever I'm not swamped with work, but please don't expect anthing).

Thanks as always for reading, subscribing and commenting, it's always greatly appreciated. Take care of yourselves, stay happy, stay healthy and stay positive, and please never stop smiling. :)

 Thanks for all your support up to now. I'll be back soon (I promise) ;)