How do I tell you this?

What next?

The connection was pretty bad, but I could see Whee In sat in her pyjamas in Hyejin’s room. I smiled awkwardly at her. “Hey… so… what do we need to talk about?”

“Well… ummm…. Basically… I was wondering… What happened between you and Hyejin? She seems to be really mad at you for something, she said you’re a liar and that I shouldn’t let myself get too carried away. What does she mean? She said that she understands why you didn’t tell her at first but not why you didn’t tell her and Yongsun unnie first, she thinks you don’t trust her. What happened last night? You were fine before we left, and then I woke up this morning and she was really angry. I’ve never seen her like this before, Byuli, she’s barely even talking to me, barely even looking at me. I want to reach out to her, but don’t even know how to comfort her” She spoke with a really low tone, probably to keep our conversation quiet from the other girl in the apartment.

“I know it bugged her when it happened, but I don’t get why she’s mad at you… unless… no, she’s not…” I was piecing things together in my head, trying to understand the whole situation. Whatever Hyejin was feeling, she obviously hadn’t told Whee In what happened, but based on what Whee In was saying she genuinely believed me when I told Jungkook that Wheenie was my girlfriend. I don’t understand why that made her angry though- I mean I get that she would want to be the first to know, we’ve been friends for three years, and her and Wheenie have been friends since they were kids.

“Byul-ah, you’re not making any sense. What happened? What’s going on?” there was a tone of desperation in her voice, but it was mostly nervous. My mind raced at a million miles per hour.

“Well… the thing is… promise me you won’t get mad, or let this affect our friendship? Because I never meant for it to happen and I was only acting out of instinct to protect you because I didn’t want you to get hurt and I could see that you were uncomfortable in the situation, so I stepped in to diffuse it. I guess my reaction… and kinda your reaction… is what annoyed Hyejin… because… because I told her we were only friends…” I let the statement hang in the air as the realisation hit me: Hyejin was mad because I told her earlier yesterday that nothing was going on between us, but told everyone else hours later that she was my girlfriend. Oh good lord…. What have I done?

“Okay… you’re starting to worry me. Please just tell me what happened, I can only remember little bits of what happened, but I don’t know why she’s so angry at you. Please?” she raised her eyebrows at me, giving me her cutest pout that I could never say no to.

“Promise me you won’t freak out?” she drew a cross over her chest with her finger and nodded

“Cross my heart” I took a deep breath while I gathered up all of my courage for the storm ahead.

“Well… the thing is… Jungkook was trying to hit on you, so I told him (and consequently everyone else that was listening)… that you ummm…. that you’re… my girlfriend” seeing a cheeky smile form on her lips I mentally prepared myself for the next bit “and then I kissed you, only on the cheek for show, and then you kinda maybe sorta kissed me full-on, like on the lips kind of kiss” I closed my eyes as I was ready for her to start freaking out, or yelling at me, or hang up completely, but instead she just laughed. It was an awkward laugh, but I could tell she wasn’t mad.

“She’s mad at you for me kissing you? It makes sense why she’s annoyed at me, it shouldn’t, but it makes a hell of a lot of sense. But how is that your fault? If what you’re saying is right, I kissed you not the other way round” I could hear the confusion laced in her voice, as well as some kind of cheery satisfaction, as if something had just clicked into place.

“She’s mad because after we were being overly-affectionate towards each other yesterday she asked me in our free period whether you and I were a couple, and I told her we aren’t, that we’re just friends. But then I guess she believed me when I told Jungkook that we were together. I need to tell her that it isn’t true. Oh God! What have I done, Whee In? I can’t lose her. How do I make it up to her? How do I tell her the truth? How do I bring it up? Whee In, what do I do?”

“Okay, okay. Unnie. Calm down. Just call her later, tell her I asked if you knew what was bothering her and then tell her about this conversation. She’ll understand. She won’t be mad once she knows the truth. Or if you want to talk to her in person, we can both tell her on Tuesday at school. Trust me, she won’t be mad at you once you’ve told her the truth. I’ll tell her I’ve spoken to you, if I can. Like I said, she’s pretty mad at me too- that bit I can understand. Just talk to her, she’s stubborn, but she’ll calm down. I promise.” Her voice was soft and comforting, it sounds like she thought a lot about what she had just said, despite only being hit with the news a minute ago. I smiled warmly at the younger girl and thanked her for her reassurance. I was relieved that I had told her the truth about last night and assured her that it didn’t mean anything. I was glad that she wasn’t mad. I felt reassured when she promised that things between me and Hyejin would get better. It just felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders, like I’d let out a breath that I’d been holding for too long. After thanking her three more times I told her that I was pretty tired and was going for a nap. We bid each other good bye and I promised her I’d meet her on Monday after I got home.

 

Author's note: Hi again. Two updates in two days?! This is a record for me! XD This is my way of making it up to you guys for my absence for the last few weeks. I know this is only short, but the next one will be longer, I promise. :)

It feels directionless at the moment, but trust me when I say I have an idea! This is leading somewhere, I hope. I'd actually planned this chapter AAAGGGEESSS ago, but it took a while for me to build the story to a point where I could include it. I hope you're enjoying this, and I hope you look forward to later installments.

I probably won't update for a couple of weeks (because I'm pretty lazy and because it'll take me some time to write the next part) so please wait for me. As always, take care and stay safe. Stay happy and healthy and look after yourselves.

See you soon! Lala out! ;)