Mystery

Caged

"Jung Wheein?" Moonbyul looked up from her sheet of paper as she looked at the girl who stood, almost embarrassed to be seen.  

"Yes." Wheein politely spoke.  

"I'm here to speak about what happened last night." Moonbyul looked over the report the other guard had wrote. She then looked at Wheein and noticed small bruises on her arms, almost as if she could make out the distinct markings of a hand. She then noticed the bruise that was apparent around the girls cheek. She exhaled as she placed the report face down on the desk in the girls room. "Let's go over the whole night, okay?"  

"Well, I was there for work. I was waiting for the guard, who was supposed to retrieve me. That's when the screaming started. I assumed the worst, so I instructed the kitchen owners daughter to lock the door. I then stayed in my station waiting till it passed, but it didn’t. I thought to myself, if I leave would I be breaking the strict rules. But I suppose by not reporting back to my cell, I ultimately broke the rules." Wheein said calmly, although Moonbyul could tell the girl was on edge. Moonbyul exhaled walking closer to the girl, trying to get a better look at the condition of the girl.  

"And the bruises?" She finally said as gently touched Wheein's wrist, lifting her arm to see more bruised on the inside of her arm.  

"Clumsy." Wheein caustiously pulled her arm from the guard.  

"Wheein, your guard. When did he come to get you?"  

"Early morning, just as the sun was coming up I would say."  

"The report say's you were retrieved and locked in around the time that we do the morning check." Byulyi then turned around looking out the small window of Wheein's door, looking to see if any other guards we're trying to overhear the conversation happening between the two. "So, I'm here, to double check the report... to make sure there is no inconsistency's between you, and the guard. But there is, there is a big one. We're missing about an hour or two of unaccounted time if we go by your time frame..." 

"I was mistaken." Wheein quickly interjected. "Whatever he said was right."  

"Solar is your friend, correct?"  

"Yes." 

"I'll re-write the report, and get you switched to garden crew for a few weeks... you'll feel better with a friend with you." Byulyi smiled gently as she grabbed the report from the desk and folding it up. "let's get going to work?"  

 


 

"You're saying Moonbyul sent you here?" Solar whispered as she lazily tapped the earth with her gardening tool.  

"Yeah." Wheein nodded as she was actually working. Solar looked at her friend trying to ignore the bruises and sadness writing all over the younger girl. "She said she would re-write the report, then mentioned you... I honestly didn't think she would have the power to move me here so quickly."  

"She's such a mystery." Yongsun said as she gazed past Wheein looking at the girl. She was hiding the happiness inside, she was so glad to see the girl unharmed. She sighed as she noticed Byulyi giving her a smile. Wheein looked at Moonbyul then back to her friend, she shook her head before nudging Solar. 

"She seems to like-" Wheen was interrupted by the rest of the garden crew.  

"Did you two hear!?" One of the boy's said obviously astonished by what she heard. Wheein looked at her friend, they shared a look of confusion before shaking there head no to the guy. "The guy you used to work with, he was the  one last night..." The guy looked up from his duty checking to see how close the guards were.  

"LUNCH. EVERYONE GET IN LINE!" The guard yelled. Wheein glared at the ground seriously wondering why of all times now they had to call them. Solar stood up grabbing Wheein leading her too standing in front of their guard, Moonbyul. Solar stared at the ground thinking about what may have happened to the guy, she had grown to know him over the past few months. He was always smiling, but maybe that's how he dealt with it, just like Solar did.