Those Who Stand For Nothing Fall For Everything

Caged

"Can't stand the thought of you going through it alone 
Those who stand for nothing, fall for everything "

 

Wheein looked over at her friend Solar as they waited to be dismissed, she waited to see if there was any change in her expression. She wanted to be able to ask what truly happened yesterday, but she knew it wasn't appropriate. She sighed and looked down at her feet as she heard her name being called. She began to walk to the same destination it was every day. The guards talked about the same things, it truly felt like she just kept living the same day over. The only thing that broke up the dull routine was going to work at the kitchen, and having the workers be so kind to her. She looked at the guards as she entered into the room. She looked over and saw the young girl sitting where she normal was. The young girl mentioned something to the guards about where the others were, they gave her a questioning look before deciding that Wheein would be okay. Wheein sat across from the girl, she felt the stare the girl was giving. 

 

"What's wrong?" Wheein looked up giving the girl a slightly eyebrow raise before shrugging.  

 

"Nothing." 

 

"Okay..." 

 

"How's your hand?" Wheein smirked as she tapped the table lightly.  

 

"Good... thanks again."  

 

"No problem." Wheein leaned back looking around for her job to do, but she saw nothing.  

 

"Nothing to do today. Just cleaning. My parents had to attend to a funeral, I literally just told the guards..."  

 

"Oh sorry..." Wheein mumbled as her thoughts were still back there with Solar. She couldn't shake the fact that something had changed, she was going to find out somehow. She was tired of the secrets, at least if they were going to be stuck in here they should at least be honest with each other.  

 

"Wheein... I just realized you don't know my name. Hwasa, well its not actually but that's what you can call me." She leaned against the back of the chair mimicking how Wheein sat.  

 

"I'm sorry. I'm just lost in thought." Wheein looked towards the girl. "Can I ask you something?"  

 

"I suppose." Hwasa looked at Wheein slightly confused.  

 

"My friend... You know never mind." Wheein smiled shaking her head gently before standing up from the chair. "Wanna show me what I can start doing... Hwasa" She smiled more as she said the girls name. Hwasa smiled quickly before turning back to her regular attitude towards Wheein, she crossed her arms as she stood up.  

 

"There's tons to do."  

 

 


 

 

 

 

Moonbyul looked at the other guards as she stopped listening to their casual conversations. She tapped her finger against the wall she leaned on. She stared off and watched the people working out in the yard. She focused on Solar who was tending to the garden. She looked at her coworkers, trying her hardest not to call them out on the terrible content of which they were discussing. She sighed as she pushed herself off the wall and made her way towards the girl she was focused on. She squinted as the sunlight was as bright as ever, she slowly made her way over to the girl. She looked at how calm the girl look, how she seemed at ease doing the task. She cleared as she made it within a few steps from the working girl.  

 

"Yes?" Solar looked up also squinting her eyes, clearly she couldn't see who exactly was beside her. Byulyi kneeled down beside the girl, looking at the other people around. "Byulyi?" Solar said is a hushed voice. Byulyi felt her mood brighten just at the call from the girl, she wondered why she had even put herself in this position. Why had she decided to become a guard, although she knew the answer was much more complex than what she wanted.  

 

"How are you?" She said lightly still looking at the other people trying not to draw attention to her kindness towards Solar. Solar looked at the girl and slowly stopped her working, she hesitantly opened to speak but Byulyi cut her off. "Come with me... please." She whispered the last of the sentence as she noticed she had drawn attention to them. Solar still baffled as to why she possibly could want to speak with her yet again. She agreed and followed behind the girl, Moonbyul looked at her co-workers and gave them a nod. Solar wondered what the little interaction could have meant, how was that communicating anything it was just a simple nod. Byulyi opened the door to the lunchroom, Solar followed in Byulyi looked the door behind her. Solar sat down at one of the tables studying the guards features, she couldn't help but think that the guard was too soft for this job.  

 

"Why did you want to speak again."  

 

"Do I have to always have a reason." Byulyi exhaled as she sat down across from Yongsun 

 

"Well most people do." Yongsun smiled as she awkwardly fiddled with the hem of her shirt.  

 

"How can I get you out?" Yongsun looked up at the girl, and smiled lightly.  

 

"I've been here my whole life, unless you find away to get my family's name cleared... then I'm stuck here until we've cleared it. Not to mention, you don't know me, you can't do anything. It's not your burden to bare."  

 

"You know Yongsun... I don't think it's your burden either." Yongsun smiled as she noticed the girls personality coming through the façade. "How old are you?" Byulyi said suddenly.  

 

"Twenty five..." She smiled as she dropped the hem of her shirt.  

 

"Your older than me..."  

 

"Guess you should listen to me now then." Yongsun laughed lightly as she caught the eye of Byulyi who seemed awfully conflicted.  

 

"Maybe I should." Byulyi shrugged. "Maybe we should listen to each other?"  

 

"I don't think I have much of a choice, I have to listen to you."  

 

"You have a choice. I don't want to make you uncomfortable." 

 

"You don’t... but you are a guard. Your word matters."  

 

"I want my word to matter not based just off what our status is. I don't want you to see me as someone above you..." Byulyi looked Yongsun in the eye. "Because I'm starting to think you're much more than I."  

 


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycDm1RG-iVY