One Chance

Caged

 

 

"Wheein?" Hwasa asked as she searched for the girl in the storage room. "We don't have much time, we have to get back to the kitchen, did you find it?" She asked as she paid more attention to the shelves then her actual words. She heard something fall from one of the shelves in the back of the room, she narrowed her eyes trying to see through the things on the shelf. She heard a hushed voice, she then darted towards the noise. "Why are you hiding on me...." She half laughed before seeing Wheein sitting on the ground and a guard lightly kicking her. She quickly hid behind the shelf so the man wouldn't see her, her heart raced as she heard footsteps towards her.  She felt the rush of air as he quickly walked by here, she clenched her eyes hoping he didn't see her hiding. She heard the sound of the door latching, and finally could breathe. She made her way over to see Wheein standing now, holding the box of silverware they were looking for. Wheein smiled and lightly shook the box in excitement of her find. Hwasa exhaled heavily causing Wheein to sense the displeasure Hyejin was holding on to.  

"You saw?" Was all Wheein managed to say before Hyejin walked over taking the box from the workers hands.  

"What do you mean?" Hyejin faked a confused face. "You mean the silverware? Obviously, I didn't hence why you found it." She smirked as she nudged the still nervous girl. They continued back to the kitchen where Hwasa parents were waiting for them. "Got it, man was it hard to find." 

"Why did we need this anyway?" Wheein asked as she went back to her work of peeling the vegetables for meal prep.  

"We're hosting a big diner tomorrow, and I just wanted to make sure I didn't forget." Hyejins mom smiled as she walked away with the box.  

"The board of directors are visiting?" Hyejin asked as she stole a carrot from Wheein and took a bite. Wheein tapped the girl on the thigh lightly gaining a slightly chuckled from her.  

"After big news they always visit." Moonbyul entered looking very lost. Hyejin looked over at her newly made friend, and confidont. She then looked to wheein and tapped the girls hand lightly.  

"I'll be right back." She then walked over whispering something into Moonbyul's ear, and with that they exited. Wheein confused by this interaction, felt a pang of guilt that she hadn't told Hyejin the truth about earlier.  

 


 

"Moon Byulyi... How did I not put that together, it's not even a good alias, it's literally just moonbyul, your name."  

"I didn't have much to hide when I first started." Byulyi shrugged as she took a sip from the coffee Hyejin had made her.  

"And now you do?"  

"I've gotten to close for comfort with an inmate."  

"Wheein?"  

"What no, I've met her like once." 

"I mean I assumed sense you're the one who got her out of harms way..." Hyejin narrowed her eyes thinking of all the possible reasons Moonbyul would be that invested in Wheein's wellbeing.  "AHH, Wheein's girlfriend." 

"What?" Byulyi now was the one shooting Hyejin a confused look.  

"You know that garden girl, the one Wheein worked with for a bit, I'm right, correct?."  

"They're dating?" Byulyi said almost to herself, as she thought back on moments she had shared with Solar.  

"Well I don't think so, Wheein always says no. I just ... unless they are..." Now Hwasa was the one thinking back on moments trying to find something to cement her theory of them dating.  

"They're close... like literally close though. Their rooms are located right next to each other, they seem to rely on each other..." Byulyi thought of the day she heard the light knock, and the looks Solar had when thinking about Wheein.  "I'm screwed Hyejin... How do I tell her...? She hardly trusts me now."  

"Byulyi if I can find a way to keep Wheein away from that program, you can tell her who you are." Hyejin reached out lightly tapping the tired girl.  

"You don't understand... Wait what did you do?" Byulyi looked the girl in the eye curious how Hyejin would have managed to get everyone's favorite girl out of the program.  

"I promised something..." Hyejin sighed. She ran her fingers through her hair, before returning her hand onto Byulyi's. "You'll keep me safe right...?" Byulyi smiled warmly and placed her other hand on Hyejin's squeezing it lightly.  

"I'll try my best..." Moonbyul looked up only to make eye contact with Solar as she entered for meal time. She looked towards the kitchen noticing Wheein was also glancing towards the two of them. Wheein walked out smiling brightly at Solar grabbing her arm and taking her over towards where the guard and the girls were sitting. Byulyi quickly withdrew her hand from Hyejin's and prepared herself for seeing the girl that's constantly on her mind lately.  

"Hey." Solar said lightly trying to avoid looking Byulyi in the eyes.  

"Hi, I'm Hwasa."  

"Solar..." Solar awkwardly sat down next to Byulyi, as Wheein sat next to Hwasa.  

"Oh so that’s the name of Wheein's girlfriend." Hyejin smirked giving Wheein a playful look. She quickly felt a light poke on her side, earning Wheein an even bigger smirk from the trouble maker.  

"What" Solar practically choked out the words, as she watched Moonbyul out of the corner of her eye.  

"I should get going." Byulyi got up, and without even waiting for a response left. 

 


 

"Hey why did you leave back there?" Byulyi was startled to hear someone talk behind her, as she thought she was alone in the hall. She turned around shrugging at the girl who obviously was bothered by her actions today. "Alright so we can't talk now?" This was the first time the guard had ever heard any amount of displeasure from the normally level headed Yongsun. Byulyi nodded before turning around to get away before she said something.  She felt a hand grab her wrist and begin to gently pull her along down the hallway. She looked at the hand, and felt the guilt hit her again. She placed her hand on it, and removed herself from the girl's grip. Solar turned around trying to study what was going on inside the very guarded Moonbyul. She then grabbed her hand, and continued quickly down the hallway into her room.  

"I really should get going." Moonbyul again removed her hand from Solar's grip. Solar closed her door, and stood in front so Byulyi could not exit.  

"Why are you being like this?" Byulyi shrugged at the question. "Byulyi, you know I'm starting to think you're not as good as I want to believe."  

"Please don’t say that." Byulyi looked down at her hands as she fiddled with them. "I..." 

"Byulyi, you pulled me away, you cried, and now you're not talking to me. I still have no clue why you were so upset earlier..." 

"So, you have a girlfriend." Moonbyul tried to change the subject, but she wasn't very skilled in aversion tactics.  

"Alright Moonbyul, please don't show up trying to act like we're friends okay? You're just a guard, and I'm just locked in her. We have nothing more to talk about, if you don't value you me enough to even share one tidbit of information about yourself..." Solar exhaled feeling herself become shaky, as she felt her tears starting to come up. She opened the door, gesturing for Moonbyul to leave.  

"Okay." Byulyi walked forward prepared to exit, she stopped and looked Solar in the eyes. She shook her head, and reached past her closing the door roughly. "You're not going to like me, and that's okay because I'm finding it hard to like myself these days. I've been careless, I've made you feel scared, used, and nervous. All those things I know you've felt, regardless of what you say." Solar opened to speak but nothing came out. Her thoughts were so wrapped up in the fact that Byulyi knew how uneasy she felt in front of the girl. "Yongsun, I shouldn't even be the one you trust to call you that. You're right I'm not a guard... I'm the president's niece, I've lived with him most of my life... The reason I'm here is to find out more about the inmates, and how to deal with them..."  

"What..."  

"My cousin sent me, for when she finds a way to impeach him, so she can take over the roll. She wanted to be different... I thought... but I think she just wanted me to confirm that everyone here we're monsters and deserved the treatment they got... and maybe I wanted to prove it to myself... see what kind of monsters killed my parents... But reality doesn't always grant you the things that are easiest..." Byulyi stopped as she felt a hand hit her cheek. She looked up finally making eye contact with the girl who was now backing away from her. She felt her tears run down her cheeks, and she tried to wipe them quickly. "I didn't mean to lie... I just..." She now was finding it hard to speak through the tears. "Maybe I'm the monster..." She said in barely a whisper. She felt arms wrap around squeezing her tightly. She felt a hand on her back slowly patting her.  

"You... Moon Byulyi, don't you say you're a monster. I'm sorry you felt you couldn't tell me this, I do feel hurt by this of course. But... you didn't choose to be related to him." She pulled away from the shocked girl, placing her hands on her cheeks. "You can make it the reality you want... you're not a monster, you've saved me, you've saved Wheein... and I know you tried to get justice for the inmate that was killed... So go tell your cousin, that monster's aren't just the ones that are caged..." Byulyi leaned forward kissing Yongsun gently on the lips. "Byulyi... don't..." Byulyi leaned in again giving her another gentle kiss.  

"Kim Yongsun, thank you."  

"Moon Byulyi, you have one chance okay? Don't make me stop believing in you... Thank you for telling me the truth... but I need some space..."