Family Gathering

Seventeen Blossom

"YooJung are you done?" Kyungsoo said as he knocked on my room door.

I limped my way to the door and unwillingly open it. I glance over at Kyungsoo's face with my displeased one, "I told you I need two hours, now I can't even put my makeup on! I look horrible, i can't go out like this!"

"You look fine to me." Kyungsoo said before darting his eyes away from me awkwardly, "Lets go, we're going to be late."

"You call this fine? I think you really need to check your eyeside Mr Do." I exclaimed pointing at my own face, "Ugh! Whatever, lets go."

I dragged my feet behind him as he lead the way to the staircase before stopping his steps. He then turn around to look at me before saying, "I'll carry you downstairs."

I declined his offer and insisted on go downstairs by myself which he surprisingly agreed to.

Kim YooJung you're not weak, you don't need this man's help.

I slowly limped my way downstairs while he watches me to make sure that I don't slip or fall. The whole process could have taken us one minute but because of me, it took us a good ten minutes which means we're already late for the family gathering.

 

 

I buckled my seatbelt while Kyungsoo started the car engine. It was awfully awkward because I could see the band-aid on his neck, screaming for my attention.

"Remember to act properly later okay?" Kyungsoo reminded me but the only thing on my mind was the bite that i gave him last night hence i didn't notice his reminder.

"YooJung? Did you hear me?" He snapped his fingers to get my attention and I traced back to reality through the snapping sound.

"Ah-yes, what?" I asked looking back at him.

"Remember to act properly later okay?" Kyungsoo repeated what he said before adding, "Don't make unnecessary comment or sound if you don't want to get into trouble."

"I know." I replied and took out the coral lip tint i had in my purse to apply them on my lips. I smacked my lips after applying them then smiled, I felt a little more confident and happy after putting it on.

Then i realised the atmosphere in the car got even more awkward. 

Kyungsoo pretended to drive nonchalantly as if I don't exist while i on the other hand dart my eyes away from him and put my lip tint back into my purse. Pushing my hair behind my ear, I gathered up the courage to speak because of the awkward silence.

"About last ni-" My throat went dry before i could even continue and Kyungsoo cut me off.

"We're here." He said and I nodded my head, knowing that I should explain myself later instead. I unbuckled my seatbelt and we left the car to the main house. It was only a short five minutes drive.

I had never been to the main house before and it looked just like a modern palace. We entered the main hall, then walk to the dinning room where the family members were gathered around the table, waiting for Kyungsoo and I.

The both of us put on a fake smile, greeted his parents and apologised for being late. Being the gentleman that Kyungsoo was trained to be, he pulled out my chair for me and I sat down before him.

There were a few new faces that I haven't seen before around the huge table, everyone around the table were all smiles and I knew most of it wasn't real. Rich families are always like this, no real feelings, only pretentious people eyeing on the family fortune.

"Since everyone is here, I will now officially introduce you my second daughter-in-law." Kyungsoo's father proudly introduced me to their big family.

I politely gave them bow and smiled.

"YooJung I heard you're studying in the school that Kyungsoo is teaching, am i right?" One of the aunt with short curly hair, long diamond dangling earring asked with a smile.

"Ne," I replied knowing that she is going to say something nasty with that topic.

"Omo, no wonder she look like a child at the wedding." She widen her eyes and covered her O shape mouth as she exclaimed exaggeratedly, "I thought it was just someone spreading false rumor. Kyungsoo how could you do something like this! Even if you're the mistress's son you're still a son of this family-"

Kyungsoo's face remained calm even after hearing what the women said.

Oh my god... Kyungsoo is an illegitimate child?!

I used my side eye to take a glance over at Kyungsoo and I could see the fire in his eyes even when he acted like it wasn't affecting him.

"Eomma!" Sunhwa who was sitting beside held onto her mother's elbow and signaled her to stop.

"Wae i didn't say anything wrong? In-law why did you allow this to happen!" Mrs Han, Sunhwa's mother exclaimed with displease.

"Calm down in-law. My son Kyungsoo's mother is no one else other than my wife." Mr Do said, "Once YooJung is twenty, we will announce her official marriage to the media. Her family's business will be a huge help for the Gem's company."

"Really?!" Mrs Han's face turned bright after hearing what Kyungsoo father said, "Aigoo YooJung I am so glad!"

What a ty person! Am i seriously entangled in a freaking korean drama now?

I ignored that horrible women and avoided having eye contact with her.

"Lets start eating shall we?" Mr Do said and everyone obeyed.

 

The conversation went by with just the adults talking about businesses, us nodding our head and faking some smiles. It was obvious that Kyungsoo wasn't really talked about except when they were indirectly talking about how Kyungsoo wouldn't fit any role in the company and how good his big brother is.

"Are you okay?" I whispered glancing over at Kyungsoo, quite concerned about him because his family members are no better than mine. I seriously wonder how did he even manage to tolerate all these shades throwing at him everyday.

He secretly gave me a thumbs up under the table on his lap before pretending to listen to the adult talks again.

This is why I hate this world. How can someone be so unfairly treated yet they have to pretend that its normal to be treated like this? How can someone say something so mean even when they realised how much their words would hurt others? 

Even if Kyungsoo is an illegitimate child, he is still a human being. He didn't choose to be born into this family and if they really have to blame someone, blame his parents.

 

I can't take this anymore I need to do something for Kyungsoo, I cannot let this women humiliate him any further hence I decided to wait for an opportunity.

"Kyungsoo ah, you should learn from your older brother. If not you'll always be stuck in a lowly job, don't you think you're throwing the family's face? If you have even a tiny bit of conscience-" Mrs Han yet again threw cold water on Kyungsoo as she popped a grape into before continuing.

"Mrs Han I am sorry to interrupt you but I believe that you're a gracious lady with manners right?" I cut her off before she could continue insulting Kyungsoo.

Everyone on the table turned their attention towards me in surprise as my heart raced for the war that I was going to fight.

Kyungsoo immediately knew that I was going to argue with Mrs Han hence as quietly as a mouse, in a speed of light he secretly grabbed onto my hand hinting me to stop what I was going to do but I ain't backing down without a fight. I had enough, this women needs to learn not to mess with us. 

"Of course." Mrs Han smiled and said confidently.

 

Baited. 

 

"However from what I was taught since young, I was told not to speak with food in my mouth." I knitted my brows and frown. My words immediately agitate her and her smile slowly faded, she was speechless and I took it as a cue for me to continue.

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use. - Emily Post " I quoted, "Therefore, I do not appreciate you degrading my husband in front of me and his family members. If you're a lady with good manners you should know to talk about people behind their backs instead."

"Who allowed you to talk to me like this! Don't you know I am SunHwa's mother? Where is your basic respect!" She shouted across the table displaying her anger as she glare at me with her fishball eyes.

"I know and you should know that I am his wife. I have every rights to defend him, protect him from anyone who tries to put him down. Ask yourself that instead, where is your basic respect? I have shown good manners towards you right from the start even when you repeatedly humiliate my husband but you decided to take advantage of it." I returned the glare and made sure that she knows that I am not afraid of her.

"You-" She tried speaking but I immediately cut her off again.

"Its so sad that you have to be lectured by a kid like me about manners especially when you're a lady from upper class. I expected more." I dramatically shook my head and expressed my disappointment, "I am sorry towards everyone here at the table that the morning turns out to be like this, I didn't mean to offend anyone except to protect the chairman's second son who happens to be my husband."

WEEEEEEE! Good job YooJung!

I could see embarrassment hanging openly on that women's face and it felt really good.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the late update, I was diagnose with a disorder that damaged my nerve and still on my way to recovery (who knows how long) but thank you for reading as always!

I just want to let yall know that health comes first and don't over stress yourself.

Have a good day!