Family Affairs and Mixed Emotions

Into You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Chef Jung?” his sous chef, Lee Jungshin, tries to gain his attention as there seems to be a problem in the kitchen. Jung Yonghwa, one of the world’s most known chefs, was in deep thought over the recent argument with his father over ownership of Jung Hotel Group. His father and him have had this back-and-forth argument which always ended with no solution. No one wanting to admit defeat.

 

 

2 hours earlier at his father’s mansion.…

 

“I am here as you requested. If you would do me the favor and get to the point on whatever you have to ask me. I have an important business to uphold.”

 

“Yonghwa ya, could you just take ownership of the company?” his father pleaded. “I have given you time and your independence to do what you want. It is now time for you to repay that deal.”

 

“Deal!?” Yonghwa nearly shouted. “We never agreed nor shook hands on IF I would ever take over the company. I’m not some company negotiation you think you can win.”

 

His father could sense the anger and knew that this would turn into another complication for their relationship. He knew how Yonghwa could never forgive him for divorcing his mother but he somehow and in anyway wanted to amend their relationship. That is why he is pushing for Yonghwa to take over the company so they can become closer.

 

“I do not think of you as a negotiation, son,” he rebutted. “Your stepmother and I just want…”

 

“She is not in any way a stepmother to me. As far as I have saw and felt, you abandon my MOTHER and I to be with her. I have since then done everything without your acknowledgement.” He gritted. “Do not associate your wife with my MOTHER and I. You live how you want to live but leave me out of it.”

 

Silence filled the room. Yonghwa fiercely staring at his father waiting for him to rebuttal. His father stood there, averting his eyes to his Rolex watch.

 

“………Let’s stop here. We’ll talk again when you have a clear and calm mind. I have a business meeting with the chairman from Shanghai.”

 

Yonghwa could only smirk and grunt at this expected interruption. He left in frustration and even more hatred for his so-called stepmother. Whenever he mentioned any dislike or talked offensively about his stepmother, his father would cut him off and excuse himself with business priorities. But, it did not bother him much because he did not want to spend any more time talking with his father. He just wanted to get away quickly from his sight.

 

On his way back to his restaurant in his new Mercedes Coup, he came to a stop at the traffic light and could only sigh away his emotions. He wanted to forget everything and wish for his father to leave him out of his business plans.

 

Just then, he removed his Gucci shades as he caught a glimpse of a new billboard advertisement above one of Gangnam’s fashion headquarters. The billboard model was beautiful and cute sitting on the floor holding a couple pairs of shoes in both hands, smiling like she had no worries in her life.

 

“Neomu bureobda!” He envied that feeling she was giving off.

 

Even if she was just model, she was a darn good one for selling the happiness in buying those pairs of shoes. He could only wish for that feeling at that moment. He faintly smiled and put his shades back on, driving back to reality.

 

 

Present time

 

“Chef Jung?” Jungshin taps his shoulder as Yonghwa would not respond to a mere voice.

 

“Oh?” Yonghwa finally snaps back to reality.

 

“There are a couple of complications in the kitchen that need to be resolved before the restaurant opens.”

 

“Great…. more complications are just what I needed.”

 

“Excuse me sir?” Jungshin does not know whether to ask him more of he meant or to just leave him be as it is not his business to invade his boss’s life.

 

“Aniya, shall we go settle this once and for all? We cannot have any more problems as we have important clients from the US coming to consider opening my restaurant in Las Vegas.”

 

“Jinjaro?!” Jungshin is surprised and amazed for how hard his boss has worked to share his culinary creations with the world. Even if Jungshin has worked with Yonghwa for a couple years now, he saw first-hand the passion Yonghwa has. They may keep their relationship on a professional level between workers, but Jungshin has always felt a hyung-dongsaeng bond between them.

 

“Ne, so we need to keep on our toes.”

 

Apparently, one of the problems was a shortage of produce from their top local farmer. But that was a quick fix as Yonghwa had a backup farmer to provide the restaurants produce until their top farmer fixes his side of the problem. The other complication involved their pastry chef. Apparently, their number one pastry chef was out with the flu.

 

Yonghwa and Jungshin were calling every top pastry chef they knew but none of them were available in such a short notice. Until, Jungshin thought of his sunbae from culinary school who knew a rookie pastry chef. After all, he knew Yonghwa was desperate to get anyone to be in charge of pastry.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo yorisa! Do you still keep in contact with that rookie pastry chef? We need a pastry chef for the week.” Jungshin asks in hope.

 

 

Meanwhile at her office in Gangnam…

 

Shinhye had just finished her important meeting with an Italian designer company. She successfully presented her ideas for a new bag design with them. As a result, they had agreed to collaborate with her and look forward to the final product. She was very happy and excited for this new collaboration, thinking everything has to go well and smooth.

 

“Sajangnim? Huijangnim  would like to see you now that you are finished with your meeting.” Her secretary relays.

 

“Ihae haesseoyo.” Shinhye responds. She turns her attention back to the Italian representatives and speaks in English. “It seems I have other commitments with the Chairman. When you visit Korea again, we will have dinner that time. I hope you have a safe trip back to Milan. Mille grazie for considering my idea and I look forward to our collaboration.”

 

They shake hands and Shinhye makes her way to the elevator to see her sister, Minyoung. Aside from how excited she is right now with the recent news, she does not want this day take a 360 after visiting her sister.

 

Shinhye arrives at her sister’s office and opens the door without knocking. Her sister is sitting at her desk, talking on the company phone. She is immersed in the conversation over the phone, a possible overseas call with one of their branches. Shinhye takes a seat adjacent to her sister’s desk, admiring her sister’s determination. She has seen how hard and passionate her sister is to making sure all their father’s hard work does not go down the drain. Shinhye knows he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter