Chapter 5

Teach Me How to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Kim Mingyu," Wonwoo called out from the front of the class, which caused the class to turn towards him again. "Do you think you can cope well with the topics, or have you gotten a friend to help you?"

"Uh," the said student's eyes darted across the room as he stammered. "I'm still going through the syllabus to get an idea," was the reply he came up with.

Wonwoo nodded. "Then I'll go on with the lesson at normal pace, alright? Feel free to ask me questions during or after class." He looked at the other students. "Same goes for all of you. I don't want to be teaching the next portion when you actually have no clue from the start."

If Mingyu were to be honest, he was that kind of student who's afraid of speaking up when he didn't understand something. All he could think of was that the others would think how dumb he was for not understanding something they all could. He'd rather ask a classmate or try understand it by himself.

And so he went through Maths lesson without understanding a single thing being said. 

By the time the bell rang indicating Lunch, he waited for everyone to leave. However, Soonyoung and Seokmin approached his table. 

"Hey, Mingyu," Soonyoung greeted. "Going for lunch?" 

Mingyu nodded. "In a while. I think I want to ask Mr. Jeon some questions."

"Okay." His friend's eyes suddenly focused on the bruise on Mingyu's jaw. "What happened?" He asked worriedly, eyebrows furrowing.

The other's hand went to lightly touch it. "I, uh, kinda fell off my bed this morning." 

The two friends laughed. "Well, I hope it doesn't hurt too much. We'll be at the usual spot, 'kay?"

"Yup, sure," Mingyu replied, smiling.

When the two left, he reluctantly got up and walked to the front. Wonwoo seemed to be expecting his approach.

"Can I help you, Mingyu?" He asked, still trying to sound as formal as possible. 

"You know, normally I'm the type who won't go up to the teacher to ask questions, but since you're different and I kinda know you... Well, the thing is... Okay, I don't understand a single that you just taught us during the two hours."

Wonwoo cleared his throat. "Language, Mingyu. We're in school."

Mingyu snorted, almost laughing. "Sure. I was serious though."

The teacher sat at the side of his desk, humming. "Have you asked your friends to help you-- Wait, no. Both of them earlier aren't the best tutors. Maybe you could ask others to help you. If no one is willing, which I could actually understand, then I'll help you. Come back to me at the end of school, okay? I'll be at the teachers' office."

Mingyu nodded as he sighed. "Okay then. I can try asking the others from the next class."

"Yeah, you do that," Wonwoo agreed. His eyes then zeroed in to the bruise on Mingyu's jaw. "Does that still hurt?" 

The younger cupped his jaw for a second, before dropping his hand. "I mean, I've had worst. I'll survive."

Wonwoo brought up a hand and traced the purpling bruise gently, leaving behind a tingling feeling. Mingyu stilled. "I know for a fact that a bruised jaw is one of the most painful thing ever. Sorry I overdid it. I should've thought about you especially now that I've known you personally."

Mingyu slapped the other's hand away lightly. "You don't have to hold yourself back when you fight with me at the Underground. We've discussed about this. We're teacher and student in school, but opponents in the fighting ring. Not that I don't mind the easy way to win, but it's like a pride thing, you know? Like how if someone let's you win in a game or something."

Nodding in understanding, Wonwoo replied. "Then I'll try my best to avoid hitting somewhere visible. I'm afraid it'll catch the attention of the discipline master."

"That's that, then," Mingyu concluded. "I'll go ask Minghao and Hansol to help me if they can. If not, then I'll come see you in your office. I don't have to fight tonight so I'll either see you right after school or tomorrow."

"Sure, see you later." Wonwoo bid goodbye as Mingyu walked out of the classroom.

*

When Mingyu arrived at the table with his tray of food-- black bean noodles and some side dishes--, the four friends were in a heated discussion about something. 

"I'm telling you, I'd win most of the games out of all you losers." He heard Minghao spoke as he sat on an empty seat.

"Please, Minghao," Soonyoung sassed. "With those noodle-like arms?"

Minghao shoved a pickled radish in the other's mouth, shushing him. He looked towards Mingyu. "Hey, Mingyu, didn't see you there," he greeted, as if he wasn't just squabbling with Soonyoung not long ago. 

"So what did you want to clarify with Mr. Jeon?" Seokmin asked, gathering his noodles with his chopsticks.

"Oh..." Mingyu started, feeling slightly embarrassed. "I just didn't understand the whole lesson just now. He asked me to find someone who could help me with it, or he'll be the one to do it."

Everyone nodded.

"I see..." Hansol spoke for the first time since Mingyu arrived. "That's cool, because me neither."

Well, there goes asking Hansol to help me. 

"I mean, not that I don't understand," Soonyoung started, "but I'm still unclear on some parts. Plus, I'm pretty sure Mr. Jeon's told you not to approach me and Seokmin. We're both, like, the worst tutors ever."

Minghao snorted, shaking his head before looking at Mingyu. "I mean, I wouldn't mind helping you, but I kind of already have a lot on my plate right now

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter