Chapter 3

Teach Me How to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

With a leg crossed over the other, Mingyu stared at the front of the classroom in interest, watching as Jeon Wonwoo-- or rather Mr. Jeon-- wrote down different equations on the whiteboard. 

He finally turned back around to face the class, his eyes fleeting to Mingyu's for a second before he looked away. "Okay, class, please memorise those that I had put an asterisk at side. These are the important formulas you would need to know in order to actually solve certain types of question. Kim Mingyu?"

Mingyu sat upright, not expecting to be called upon. He could feel all eyes on him. "Yes, um, Sir?" Sir. Why did that sound so funny?

"Since you've only just joined us today, you might be a bit lost about which unit we're on. Feel free to ask me or your classmates any questions," Wonwoo spoke professionally.

It still seemed out of this world, that the man he had once fought in the Underground was his teacher. It also got Mingyu thinking why would he be risking his job as a teacher to do those things that could ruin his reputation.

Mingyu nodded in response. "Okay." He turned to the boy next to him, but the other was quick to turn his head back towards the front. Well, okay, then. I guess I'm not asking you.

Looking back towards the front, Mingyu tried to recall anything that he had tried learning himself before coming here. , how the heck do you solve this?

Leaving school when he was fifteen wasn't the best decision, but it came as a price for leaving home altogether. Seungcheol used to help him study a bit, and for that, Mingyu was extremely grateful.

When the bell rang, he blew a breath of relief and slumped on his chair. The lesson took a lot of brain cells than expected. As he checked the timetable given to him, he realised that it was break time. He then looked up to see the students already huddled in their own cliques, ready to head down to the cafeteria. 

Packing his things quickly, Mingyu was ready to head out when Wonwoo called him to stay behind. He sighed exasperatedly. He'd been looking forward to the provided Lunch.

"May I help you, Mr. Jeon?" Mingyu asked sarcastically.

Wonwoo raised an eyebrow, leaning back against his office chair as he crossed his arms. "I would like if you didn't use that tone towards me, Mingyu," he reprimanded, eyeing the last student leaving the classroom. 

Once no one was in sight, he stood up and took a few steps closer to Mingyu, a threatening look in his gaze. "Look, Mingyu, I hope you understand not to say a single thing about what I do after school."

Mingyu scoffed. "Ah, and here I thought you were actually willing to risk your job to go to the Underground. But here you are begging for me not to out you."

Wonwoo ran a hand through his midnight hair, messing it up slightly. Mingyu couldn't help but notice once more just how handsome Wonwoo actually was. "Okay, look, I didn't want to be mean to you because you helped me back there when the police came, but I'd appreciate it if you tone down your sarcasm."

The boy sighed and shrugged. "That was nothing. You seemed to be at a disadvantage at the time, so I did what a normal person with conscience would do. As for you going to the Underground, I'll keep my mouth shut, don't worry. Just do the same for me. Getting caught once is enough. I don't want to trouble Seungcheol anymore."

Wonwoo frowned. "Is Seungcheol your family?"

"He's like family, but not exactly my family, if you know what I mean. He's just a really great friend." 

"And your parents doesn't know what you do? I wouldn't have thought you'd be a senior in high school. Not even college," he shook his head in disbelief.

"One, you're a high school teacher, I wouldn't have thought you'd work as one before this too. And please don't assume things about me. Two, I'd rather not talk about my parents." Mingyu rolled his eyes. "Why am I even talking to you? I was going to go on my food hunt. Later." And with that, he left the room without turning back, leaving Wonwoo sighing and shaking his head. 

The moment Mingyu stepped into the cafeteria, he realised that it was packed. That included the long line of students queuing up with their metal trays. Accepting his fate, he got into line behind two boys who were fooling around. Mingyu frowned as one of them bumped into him, and the boy looked up to apologise, before recognition crossed his features. 

"Oh, it's you! You're Mingyu, right? The new student in our class?" He asked. His friend turned to look at him too.

"Yeah, it is the new kid! Hey! I'm Soonyoung. This is Seokmin," he introduced. 

Mingyu attempted a small smile. "I see. Um, you already know me, so..."

Seokmin laughed. "Yeah. Anyway, if you don't have anyone to sit with, you can join our table," he offered. "I promise you that the others aren't as weird as us. 

The other rubbed he back of my head. He hadn't thought about where he would sit. "That'd be great. I'm still unfamiliar with everyone..." 

Once they finally reached towards the front, he took note of the food being served. There looked to be rice, pieces of meat, vegetables, and soup. He could live with that. At least he didn't have to worry about lunch now.

Seokmin tapped his shoulders. "If you want to know, the lunch menu is updated at the board there," he pointed towards the direction of a dirty orange notice board near the entrance. "They update it every week so we'll know what is being served each day."

Mingyu nodded in understanding, already deciding to check that out once he was done eating. It wouldn't hurt to know what he'll be eating each day.

"No one asked, but my favourite meal is gonna be served tomorrow. Black bean noodles!" Soonyoung spoke cheerily. 

"Everyone's favourite meal is black bean noodles, Soonyoung," Seokmin joked, and turned towards Mingyu. "What's your favourite dish? Maybe they'll serve it one of these days."

Mingyu thought about it. Throughout his childhood, he never had a decent meal where his mother actually prepared it for him with love. He was sure other children had that privilege. He'd heard people talk about how their favourite food was their mother's cooking. Thinking again, Mingyu decided that his favourite would have to be spicy rice cake, as it was one of the cheapest food he could get at stand up stores. Furthermore, it wasn't that he didn't like it. He actually did. Who would turn down such spicy goodness anyway? It was his frequent meal, and his comfort food.

"Spicy rice cake? Or maybe just ramyeon," Min

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter