Chapter 14

Teach Me How to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(This scene was kinda inspired by the Stiles and Lydia scene in Season 3 of Teen Wolf as I mentioned previously lmao. I based this scene on that, including on the bear traps... I have no actual knowledge on that so just a head's up)

Clink.

"What... What was that?"

Their eyes fell down to Mingyu's foot.

Mingyu felt his heart stopped. 

"Oh no," Seungkwan muttered. ". Crap." 

With a shaky breath, Mingyu replied, "It's okay... It's f- fine..."

Seungkwan looked up at him incredulously. "It's fine? Mingyu, you just stepped on a bear trap!"

"I...!" Mingyu shouted, before flinching. "I know, Seungkwan," he continued softly. "But... But it hasn't snapped yet. That means that as long as I don't lift my leg up, it won't snap, right? There should be something that can be done to inactivate it or something." 

"How? How can we inactivate it?" Seungkwan asked in panic. "This is all my fault... I'm so sorry--"

"Seungkwan, stop," Mingyu interrupted firmly. "I'll be here, so you should go and inform Won... Mr. Jeon. I'm not sure if they've reached the clearing, but if they have, get the camp instructor as well. Calm down, Seungkwan," he spoke as he stared at his scared friend who already had tears in his eyes.

Seungkwan nodded. "Okay... Okay. I'll hurry even if I collapse!" And with that, he climbed up the slope and back to the path. He took a glance towards Mingyu and continued running up.

Mingyu released a shaky breath, his eyes watering up slightly. He wasn't going to lie to himself that he was, in fact, scared less. He looked up at the sky, hoping that Wonwoo would arrive soon.

*

Right before reaching their destination, Wonwoo turned around for a quick glance, his eyes automatically searching for Mingyu. When he couldn't find him, he turned to the front again. I shouldn't keep on noticing him... But then, a thought passed, Wait, I should be able to notice him in a quick glance... Isn't he supposed to be right at the back?

He stopped in his tracks and turned, causing the students to stop as well. "Where is Mingyu?" He asked loudly. 

Everyone turned around and a huge commotion ensued. 

"!" Hansol suddenly exclaimed. "Mr. Jeon, Seungkwan isn't here too. He stopped to tie his shoe laces just now and I assumed Mingyu would wait for him and catch up with us again... I'm so sorry..." He looked down feeling ashamed.

"Do you think they got lost?"

"What if something happened to them?"

The other students started asking different questions, making Wonwoo frustrated as ever. They were the last group to leave for the clearing, so there wouldn't be anyone behind them unless any of camp workers happened to walk by. 

Weighing his options, he attempted to calm his rapid-beating heart and made a decision.

"Okay, guys. We're almost at our destination so let's get there quickly so I can go search for them--"

Just then, a shouting in a distance caught their attention. "Mr. Jeon! Mr. Jeon!"

Seungkwan came sprinting over alone, face exuding panic. Wonwoo felt his heart drop.

"Seungkwan! What happened? Where's Mingyu?" Wonwoo questioned seriously,

The boy bended over as he tried catching his breath. "Bear trap..." He looked back up at Wonwoo. "He stepped on a bear trap! But... But it hasn't snapped yet so he's trying his best not to move while I call you for help... I'm so sorry, Mr. Jeon, if I hadn't fell down he wouldn't have came down to help me..."

Wonwoo was fuming. That was evident in his expression as he looked at Seungkwan. Everyone stayed silent, including Mingyu's friends who were too shocked and worried to speak.

Pulling out his walkie-talkie, he turned it on. "Hello, is anyone there? This is Mr. Jeon Wonwoo. I need help immediately. A student has stepped on a bear trap and need my immediate help. We're not far from the clearing. Can I confirm someone will come pick up my group of students while I go over? Over."

A few seconds later, a voice replied, "Hi, Mr. Jeon, this is Mr. Kim. I'm leaving the clearing to pick your students up. Make sure they don't move, and go help your student immediately using what we've learned during the safety briefing. Over."

With that, Wonwoo assigned Minghao to look over the students while waiting for Mr. Kim as he set off. Seungkwan suggested coming along, but Wonwoo had disagreed, using only what the student had told him to find Mingyu.

His quick footsteps and breaths sounded in the quiet pathway as he ran. 

"Mingyu! Kim Mingyu!" He shouted, looking down the grassy slope.

"Wonwoo!"

Wonwoo immediately spotted Mingyu, and true to Seungkwan's words, the boy's foot was on a bear trap. The moment Wonwoo stopped in front of Mingyu, he carefully climbed down the slope while being careful of more bear traps. His heart remained beating rapidly.

"Wonwoo..." Mingyu spoke, though his voice broke. 

"Just stay there, alright? Don't... Don't move," Wonwoo reassured, staring into Mingyu's eyes which carried fear and worry. He stooped down, remembering the instructions from his safety briefing on bear traps. "Okay, Mingyu. When I say 'Now', remove your foot quickly. This won't deactivate the trap totally, but it will delay it, understand?"

Mingyu nodded, not being able to say a word. 

Wonwoo took in a huge breath, getting to work. His careful hand moved the grass and leaves that were in the way. As he noticed the knob, he glanced up at Mingyu for a second. He gently touched the knob, turning it around.

"Now!" 

As quick as flash, Mingyu lifted his foot and moved, causing him to lose his footing. Wonwoo managed to catch him and move him away from the trap as it finally snapped at nothing. 

The two fell to the ground, staring at the trap for a moment. 

Their ragged breaths combined as they held each other tightly. Wonwoo turned to Mingyu, feeling immense relief that the boy was safe. Mingyu turned his head towards Wonwoo as well, breathing a quiet, "Thank you."

Their faces were only a few centimetres from each other, and Wonwoo couldn't help it as he closed his eyes and leaned his forehead against Mingyu's. "Thank God... Thank God you're safe..."

Mingyu stared at Wonwoo's closed eyes, before closing his own eyes and letting himself relax in the man's embrace. He was conscious of their lips being close and the other's breath fanning against his lips. 

Wonwoo pulled away as the sound of footsteps running were heard in the distance. Mingyu buried his disappointment as the both

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter