Chapter 8

Knight in Shining Armor [JunShua]

"Hide!" Wonwoo whispered and grabbed his shotgun. Mingyu jumped up and urged Jun and Joshua to follow him. He opened a trap door which was hidden under a carpet in the very last corner of the hallway. He let Joshua go down the ladder first, followed by Jun. "There's a trap door behind a shelf where you can get out. I don't know where exactly it is, though", he instructed them.

He heard Wonwoo open the door. "What can I do for you?" he asked. "We're searching the forest for a wanted person on the king's demand", the other man said. His voice sounded raspy and intimidating. Mingyu quietly closed the trap door and pulled the carpet back over it before sneaking back into the kitchen where he hid their guests' soup bowls. 

"I'm sorry but I haven't seen anyone", Wonwoo said sternly. "Would you mind if we came in?" the man questioned. Something in his tone told Mingyu that it wasn't really a question, though. "Very much so. I have no intentions of helping the king OR any criminals. Have a good night", Wonwoo said. Mingyu heard a few protests and a scuffle before a shot was fired. 

"Wonwoo!" he exclaimed and stormed to the front door. Wonwoo held his side; his gun lay on the floor. "You're hurt!" Mingyu said. The king's troop invaded the house, not caring about either of them. "Why didn't you hide?" Wonwoo asked as he crouched down by the wall. "Because I couldn't leave you alone with them. And also...the soup", he said, hinting at the evidence he'd hidden. 

"Smart", Wonwoo commented. Mingyu smiled faintly and carefully removed Wonwoo's hand from his side. Luckily, it only seemed to be a stripe shot. It was bleeding, however and Wonwoo needed help. "Are you going to be okay?" Mingyu asked, eyeing the wound with a worried expression. Wonwoo nodded and took both of his hands. "I'm fine...now let's just hope they don't-"

"Here's a trapdoor!" one of the men exclaimed. Mingyu and Wonwoo exchanged a wide-eyed look. The men gathered and entered the cellar while Mingyu silently prayed that Jun and Joshua found the back door. 

~

Jun heard the steps above them while he tried to move the rusty, wooden shelf that blocked their way out. He'd found the door right away but the damn shelf just wouldn't budge. "I heard a shot, Jun...what if-" "They're fine, Joshua. The king can't just shoot innocent civilians", Jun tried to calm him. "But the king wanted them dead before. What if the guards recognized them?" Joshua panicked. 

Jun sighed. "Would you please stop worrying already and help me move this?" he demanded. Joshua looked at the ceiling with a worried expression before grabbing the other side of the shelf. Together they manageed to move it aside and half expose the door. Jun opened it but the shelf was still in the way so they had to force themselves through. 

"Here's a trapdoor!" they heard someone exclaim, followed by hurried steps. "Damn", Jun cursed. He pulled Joshua over by the hand. "You go through first", he said. Joshua managed to pull through pretty easily due to his slim figure. Jun followed him the moment the trapdoor opened. He closed the door he'd just pushed through and grabbed Joshua's hand again before he started running.