Chapter 15

Knight in Shining Armor [JunShua]

I hope there aren't too many typos...
It's late and I'm tired but I really wanted to update because I always keep you guys waiting for so long...

 

"What's going on?" Joshua asked. The guard looked at the three males in front of him with an unreadable expression. "I'm Seokmin, Jun's friend. He sent me-" "He said he'd only send you if he got caught or...", Joshua trailed off, not daring to name the worse option. "Is Jun okay?" Hansol questioned. 

"He was talking to me, telling me about you friends. Then another guard came and I had to pretend to have caught him. I would have let him escape again but the other guard insisted on coming along to the king. He was locked up and then king is planning to execute him by the end of the week so we don't have much time..."

~

"Step back, please!" booming voice woke Mingyu from an uncomfortable slumber. The door opened and a guard stepped in and Mingyu was immediately alarmed. Were they getting executed today?

"Get up, you and your friend have been cleared." Mingyu took a few seconds to process what was going on. Cleared? "So...we're free?" he asked. The guard looked annoyed as he pulled him up to his feet and out of the dungeon cell. 

"You're free to go. The kidnapper has been caught and he cleared your names. Says he hasn't had any help", the guard explained. "But where's Wonwoo?" Mingyu questioned. He didn't like this guard at all and he was glad when he finally got to see the sun again. But he wanted to know where his husband was first. 

"Died - probably the wound", the guard said casually. Mingyu stopped in his tracks. "What?" "Just kidding, he's being threated by the royal court's doctor to make up for the 'inconvenience'", the guard explained. It seemed like he would have preferred the first version of the story, judging by his sour expression. 

Mingyu was close to punching the guy right in the face. How dare he make up such a terrible lie?! He only didn't go through with it because he didn't want to risk his freedom again. "Can you bring me to him?" he asked, trying not to sound as angry as he felt. The guard sighed. 

"I'm not sure why you people are supposed to get such good treatment only because you've been locked up for a few days. I personally think you helped that rat! Our poor princess. You know what happened to her, right? Is she dead?"

Mingyu rolled his eyes. "I already told the king. We would never let a criminal into our house - let alone help him!" Mingyu said. "I don't believe you", the guard told him as they climbed up a set of stairs onto a brighter corridor. "Luckily, you don't get to decide whether I'm telling the truth."

"You know, the princess and I were very close. If I was a prince I'm sure I would have married her. She's all delicate and beautiful...", the guard suddenly started swooning. Mingyu held back a snort. Even though Joshua could indeed be described as delicate and beautiful, he was sure that this guard hadn't seen the so-called Princess once in his life. He refrained from sharing his thoughts, though.

They reached a wooden door that had a golden sign on it which read: Doctor Choi of the Royal Court. 

"Thank you", Mingyu said even though he didn't feel thankful at all; at least not to him. He entered the room where Wonwoo sat on a stretcher, his torso bare, while he was being examined by a young man. 

"Wonwoo!" Said man looked up at his name being called. "Mingyu!" he exclaimed, relieved to see that his husband was okay as nobody would tell him about his wellbeing. "Are you alright? Did your wound get infected?" Mingyu questioned in a worried tone. "Don't worry. He'll be okay. Luckily, the bullet didn't hit him properly and therefore didn't pierce any vital organs", the doctor spoke up. 

"I'm Dr Choi Seungcheol, by the way", he added. "Kim Mingyu." He didn't really like to talk to the king's people. He mistrusted them for several reasons. Choi Seungcheol seemed to sense that. The happy smile he'd offered Mingyu faltered at the latter's unfazed expression.

"Anyway, I'm finished with the treatment so you're free to go. You should change the bandages every day until it heals a bit...", he told them. Wonwoo nodded and got up to put his shirt back on. 

"Thanks, Dr Choi", he said. The doctor waved off. "You can call me Seungcheol. It was the least i could do after all the inconveniences you had to go through because of the prince's kidnapper", he told them. 

Mingyu and Wonwoo exchanged a look. "Excuse me...did you say prince?" Mingyu asked. Seungcheol clasped his hands over his mouth. "I meant princess...oh lord, the king is going to kill me...", the doctor panicked. "Don't worry. We won't tell...", Wonwoo promised. 

Seungcheol looked relieved. "Really? Thank you!" he exclaimed. "Nobody's supposed to know. I'm one of the very few people the king filled in because I went to check on the prince every week before he disappeared from the tower."

"So, you know where he was staying?" Mingyu asked him. Once again, Seungcheol covered his mouth with his hands. "I should not have told you that...", Seungcheol mumbled. "The king is responsible for Prince Joshua's disappearance, right?" 

Seungcheol looked at Wonwoo and nodded at his question. "Yeah, he was always disappointed to have a son instead of a daughter. And when the prince showed interest in men instead of women it just did it for the king. He locked him away...but wait, how did you know the prince's name?"

The doctor's eyes were wide with confusion. "Listen, we won't tell anyone that you spilled the king's secret if you do the same for us. Jun didn't kidnap Joshua. He freed him and wanted to bring him back home. The king framed him for his disappearance and now Jun is probably going to get executed...", Wonwoo explained to him. 

"We need to help Jun but we don't know how. A guard named Seokmin offered me his help but I have no idea where to find him", he continued. Seungcheol blinked. His confusion started to fade. 

"I won't tell anyone what you've told me. I'll help you guys, too! The king's done enough. I never agreed with him, framing an innocent man. And now that I know that prince Joshua is okay it's time to come clean. The kingdom needs to know the truth..."