II. OFF TO A GOOD START

The KISS Unit
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 2. Off to a good start

 

It was almost 8 o’clock at night and the place was going to turn into a madhouse anytime soon. They had been given a day to study their book of rules and more on the people that were going to join the team and then fix their private life but to their own surprise, it had taken much less than that. Apparently being in the Police Force kind of made it hard to have a personal life so there wasn’t much to arrange about it after all. They had taken the extra time to discuss how they were going to work together. Kyuhyun had felt bad for being the one appointed Leader of this mock team when he was younger and was part of the force for less time than the other. Hyukjae had assured the other that there was absolutely no problem and that indeed he loved being out there on the field instead of just seeing things happening from afar.

“Are you ready?” Hyukjae questioned as he walked upstairs.

It was still weird to be there. When they first walked upstairs they had imagined there would be rooms, separated by walls and doors but instead they got a very big space separated by the staircase opening, beds on each side and indeed some doors but leading only to the bathroom.  Whoever built that house, it was sure making them wonder for what purpose had it been built because it had a very weird infrastructure. It wasn’t an attic but it looked like one, it wasn’t an apartment but it looked like one, it was a house and then it wasn’t one either. It was still weird to see the place especially since it reminded them every single time that they were all going to be sleeping there. All.

“Yeah... is it bad that I am nervous?” Kyuhyun questioned, wondering if it was bad to try and look as formal as he could when meeting criminals.

“I am too. They don’t have a history of violence so we won’t die in our sleep so...” Hyukjae joked, signaling the other to come down.

Both of them had gone for a pair of blue jeans. Hyukjae wore a sleeveless t-shirt and Kyuhyun decided on a black t-shirt but while the elder had his leather jacket on the seat of the chair, the younger one decided to put on his suit jacket just so that he would be taken more seriously. He was young, younger than almost all of the additional team members so he needed to look and sound imposing so that he wouldn’t be dismissed given the opportunity.

“Didn’t Leeteuk say Siwon had like a black belt and the girl was feisty?” Kyuhyun tried to remember.

“Right...well... thank God for our gadgets.” Hyukjae grinned and then took a deep breath to prepare himself.

“Alright. Now they just have to arrive.” Kyuhyun stretched a bit.

And it didn’t take long. Not even ten minutes later, someone pressed on the button and the screen lit up on the intercom. Checking their watches, they were quite amazed to see that at least one of them was punctual. Opening the door for them, they both greeted the modern day thief Cassanova. Siwon entered the place, checking the surroundings and liking what he was seeing. He was all dressed up, suit and vest, hair done properly, looking classy and handsome.

“So... here is the base camp?” were his first words. “Choi Siwon.” He introduced himself, moving his hand to shake theirs.

“Welcome.” They both smiled, showing him to his seat.

Just as Siwon sat down, the intercom screen lit up again and upon granting permission, Donghae entered the building. He was dressed casually, jeans and shirt, a parka, nothing about him drawing attention.

“Hello. I was told to come here. My name is Lee Donghae.” He spoke with a happy ring to his voice, moving towards the two that were standing up, offering his hand. “Hello.” He then turned towards Siwon, greeting him as well.

If Siwon had given the vibe of someone that was impressed to see they were that prepared as if he thought it was going to look bad and smell really bad, Donghae seemed to simply be amazed, curious about the place like a little kid seeing something for the first time. If Siwon seemed arrogant, Donghae seemed childish. As on cue, someone else arrived.

“Well hello!” a cheerful voice greeted them.

Sporting a metallic white hair and dressed up as if he demanded the attention of those around, the one and only Kim Heechul had arrived. He was making a really big contrast with the other. Kyuhyun had dark auburn hair, Hyukjae had black hair, Siwon a dark brown hair and Donghae a lighter shade of brown so metallic white stood out even if he didn’t try.

“Lots of people here. Handsome people.” Heechul noted. “I like it.” his nose wrinkled as he moved towards the conference table and took a seat right across from Siwon.

“So... we are now a crime fighting team?” Donghae asked after greeting the last man to arrive.

“We are. We are temporarily called Korean Investigation Special Secret Unit. We don’t exist.” Kyuhyun nodded his head, having a first good impression of the group.

The Siwon guy didn’t seem that chatty but he was looking around and that meant he was the type to observe and be cautious about his surroundings. The Donghae kid, yes he was going to call him a kid was still amazed at what he saw and Heechul seemed to be a diva in forming.

“Cool.” Donghae nodded his head, a bright smile appearing on his face.

“So what’s the first thing to do?” Siwon questioned.

“We are not done yet. There is one more person that didn’t arrive yet.” Hyukjae spoke this time, keeping his eyes on all of them.

All three of them showed interest in the newly told information. They had not been told how many members the team would have but with the people in the room that already brought the number up to five.  That was surely an already big enough number so they were a bit surprised to hear there was another one that had not arrived yet.

“Good. Another handsome one?” Heechul inquired.

“A girl.” Kyuhyun chuckled.

“Nice. A pretty one then?” Heechul shrugged, not one bit upset about the new information.

As they waited for her to arrive, Hyukjae moved towards the table in front of the wall and then prepared to make some coffee or tea. They were going to wait for at most another half an hour and if she didn’t arrive simply consider she had refused the deal. They had all been offered the opportunity and told to arrive there at a certain time. It was either that or jail. With Ji-Yeon it was a bit more difficult because if she agreed, then she had to make sure Leeteuk knew so that she could be escorted to the house. As they were placing the cups on the table, getting ready for more small talks, the door simply opened. It was curious how the intercom didn’t react so either the final guest decided to hack a device from the first minute or Leeteuk had arrived.

“Oh, you are all here. Brought the last member.” He stepped to the side and let them see who arrived.

Dressed in a long sweater coat, t-shirt and a pair of short jeans, her hair purple and black, long interesting earings and the most bored expression possible, she was standing there with her arms crossed.

“I am Superintended Park. You’ll see me around at times. I wish you good luck. I’ll video call to give you new missions. Good luck.” Leeteuk spoke again, moving to shake the hands of absolutely everyone in the room before finally making his way out the door.

“Hello.” Donghae was the first to speak, the same politeness and friendliness written on his face.

She didn’t reply with words but just nodded her head and then moved closer and closer to the table. She looked like she didn’t want to be there but for all Kyuhyun and Hyukjae knew it could have simply been her personality.

“Now that everyone is here... let’s introduce ourselves.” Kyuhyun proposed. “I am Cho Kyuhyun and the leader of this unit. I worked in the NIS and the Police force and now with you.” He was first to speak.

“I am Lee Hyukjae, you can call me Hyuk. I work with the Korean Police Force Agency. I’ll be with you in the field.”  He went next,

Buttoning his suit, Siwon stood up next and looked towards the others.

“My name is Choi Siwon. And since we are introducing our jobs as well... I steal works of art from beautiful rich married woman.” He spoke with a big smile on his face, sounding and looking proud about himself.

“My name is Lee Donghae. You can call me Hae. I... I forge things. I always put my signature on it though so...” he brushed the back of his hair. “Maybe I should not have done that.” He laughed to himself.

“I heard about you.” Siwon turned towards him. “A fish right? The go to guy if you need something like fake IDs and all.”

“Yeah!” Donghae got excited.

“A gigolo thief and a silly forger.” Heechul laughed.

Please log in to read the full chapter