IX. DEATH IS EVERYWHERE

The KISS Unit
Please log in to read the full chapter

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that I am challenging a different type of story. The bad news about it is that it won't be updated fast nor soon.

And I am having the Request Shop open, another great news. But  I am deciding to update the requests once 3-4 days.

I'll try to update Exposure, Kiss Unit weekly and finish Danger in loving you this or next week but as a 25 years old, reality does not help me update them as soon as I wish. I hope it won't be a problem if updates come rarer than before. 

Thank you!!

 

Chapter 9. Death is everywhere

 

Kyuhyun remained with her until she finished her cigar and then opened the door for her again so that she could walk back inside. He entered the room while keeping his eyes on her, wondering what in the world what happened to her that turned her into a pain in the . She wasn’t all that bad but she had moments when she turned really hostile or at least seemed to not give a about the people around her. It was something about the way she just brushed off people and conversations, making it all seem as if it was just white noise or something and not real people with important things to say. She had a natural talent and making people feel they should just keep quiet and mind their own business and pretend she wasn’t there. Or better said, she was a natural at pretending others were not there. The next day, with everyone awake, she was back to being her old self, caring more about the keyboard and the screens and the information there. Siwon seemed to be reading a book and now all of a sudden Heechul, Hyukjae and Donghae were best friends or something and he was left working on that list he was making while continuously glancing towards Moon who was in her own little bubble. Damn it, he was curious. He wanted to know why she didn’t like skinship and if it was simply related to guys trying to touch her or all people in general. He was curious because while he could somewhat guess what the others were about, she was still a mystery.

Siwon seemed to be a rich or wanted to be a rich , being all arrogant and full of himself gestures and everything. Heechul enjoyed fun and if it was fun, he was into it but still had enough responsibility to be mature when needed. Donghae was nice and at some point his name was going to pop up in the dictionary as an example for nice. He was also pretty friendly and that meant he was probably not the type to keep things a secret. That left Ji-Yeon, aka Moon, the one thing knowing about her being that she is a grey-hat and she accidentally hacked the NIS system.

“I’m done with the list.” She announced, a neutral look on her face as she looked towards him.

Kyuhyun waited for the list to be printed and then moved from the desk and shared all the information he had gathered so far so that everyone could help and make sure the process could  be as short as possible. If everyone held files then they could piece together the information and spare Kyuhyun the trouble of having to go through a bunch of papers and make a mess out of them. On a screen the map of the city was ready so that Moon can add the location of all the kidnappings areas. Another screen had the same map so that they could add the locations where the bodies where find and the third screen with the same map had been set to pin point the addresses where the victims lived so that they could compare all of them and see what were the common places.

“Alright. Guys.” Kyuhyun pointed out. “Let’s take things one victim at a time.” he made sure everyone was listening, ready to stop what they were doing and get to work.

“So the first girl... Ahn...” Donghae began.

“Use victim number 1. It will make it easier not to let it get to you.” Hyukjae stopped him, giving a sincere advice.

“Okay. Victim number one. 23 years old. She disappeared on June 2nd.” He spoke again. “At around 7 o’clock in the morning on her way to work.” Donghae finished.

Moon began tapping her fingers, registering the locations Donghae was giving her and then paid attention to the locations Siwon gave her. Donghae had been given the files with the victims and the time and place of the disappearance. Siwon had the locations and information on the place they were found dead and who had found them, Heechul that of the place they lived and worked while Hyukjae had the name of the friends and was supposed to make the list smaller. Moon had assigned colors for each. The places of disappearance with blue, of discovery with red, their houses with yellow. It was trickier to point out the workplaces and the whereabouts of friends but they were getting there.

Moon had four computers to her disposal and she was working on all four of them at the same time. One had been set to go through the list of names, find their IDs and then search through all CCTV footage for them. As they took each victim at a time, she simply had to input a date for each and the system was going to eliminate all those that were found in different locations. The second computer was set to go through footage of the family members with the same search parameters. On the third computer she was inputting the location that was later on sent to all three maps while the fourth, the one she ignored for the moment, was still running the search to archive all the information from the computer and USB of the weapon dealer.

With each and every victim, the maps were getting more and more colorful. It was starting to look like a ECG reading that had been warped around and then made to explode. Siwon was starting to get frustrated, noticing that all the places had nothing in common. There was not one single place where they overlapped and not even one hint of a pattern. Or maybe he was just not trained and because of that he couldn’t see the patterns. Hyukjae had decided to assist Moon once again, writing down the names of people that had not been caught on the CCTVs and therefore had no alibi on camera. Somewhere along the line, Donghae had also decided to go through the files and check the working places of friends of each victim to see if they matched or were anywhere close to them.  Kyuhyun watched each screen, wanting to just bump his head against the desk or the computers or a wall, if it could teleport in front of him. If the maps showed no connection between places and happenings, they were left with three more options. They either had to cut the list of suspects extremely short, find one that had been in all places at the mentioned time or do a few tumbles in the air to find someone new as a suspect. He almost flinched when the fourth screen surrounding the conference table lit up, lines after lines appearing and then disappearing.

“What’s going on?” he looked towards Moon, honestly curious.

“I set an algorithm to compare all the data and find out if there was anyone that had been in the same places or anyone that could not be accounted during all of the disappearing and body discovery.” Moon explained.

“In our language, please.” Siwon brushed his forehead, starting to get a headache because there seemed to be no result.

“These computers are finding out where everyone was and if any of their paths crossed. They are also finding out who was everywhere or who was nowhere in this CCTV filed world. Once the data was added, with your help, they algorithm started working. Do you understand now?” Moon looked straight towards Siwon, frowning slightly since she didn’t like one bit the look on his face.

Just great. Kyuhyun mentally face palmed, realizing that now it was Moon’s turn to be annoyed by Siwon. Once Siwon started picking on Donghae, he would have successfully annoyed everyone else in the team. For a split second, Kyuhyun wondered if Siwon was going to annoy himself at the end to make a full circle.

“So we should either find the guy that did it or is suspiciously at all locations or find the people that cannot be accounted for and with whom we need to talk.” Hyukjae added as well, understanding a bit of what was going on on the screens of the computers and of those of the TVs.

“When will we know?” Heechul questioned.

“Well....” Moon looked at the screens. “In about an hour or so.” She replied after a few seconds of checking all the computers.

“Seriously?” Donghae looked surprised. “It took us...” he checked the watch. “An hour to put all the data together and ... that’s it?” he looked confused.

“Seems like this one will be over pretty soon.” Heechul smiled, hitting the table as he stood up ready to call it a day and get something to eat.

“If we do find something. Even if we end up with a list of people we need to look further into, if we can’t connect each to all of the victims..... then we have nothing.” Kyuhyun let out a sigh, hoping that was not the case.

“Well...not nothing.” Moon intruded.

“We will at least now that none of these people are involved and we can look at the killings as if we see them for the first time.” Siwon nodded, now understanding a bit more of how the technology was working for them.

“We are seeing them for the first time.” Heechul grinned, returning the mock back to Siwon after what had happened the other day.

“Even information resulting in n

Please log in to read the full chapter