XVI. FRIENDLY

The KISS Unit
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 16. Friendly

 

Life in the hospital was boring. It was always the same thing. Waking up, getting a brief check-up, the pills, rest again, then another checkup then pills and on and on for like forever. Each day felt like it had 40 hours or more and if there wouldn’t have been a computer, a TV and people around her, Moon was pretty sure the hospital routine was the perfect method of turning people crazy. Did they have some sort of arrangement with the psychiatric department? First hospitalize people with actual injuries and once that’s done, get more money from them by having them checked in as crazy people? If so, it would have been the perfect fraud.  A week, a freaking week and she was going ballistic.

“No, no, no.” Kyuhyun put his hands on his head, mouth opened as he just witness the dramatic failure of completing the last level of the game.

“I’m sorry, Moon.” Rolled her eyes, letting out a sigh.

She had tried everything. In the first day, everything was absolutely boring. She was about to offer to set up a complete network for the doctors so that everyone could find all the information in one single file instead of having each doctor on duty and each nurse on rotation ask her the same damn things. If she would not have been still very much sedated and forced to stay in bed, she would have jumped and kicked the last nurse. That nurse had been particular annoying because instead of doing her job, she seemed more focused on having a chat and flirting with Kyuhyun. She also at finding the blood vessel for the injection and was about to cause holes all the way up her arm until he offered to help.

The second day, Kyuhyun had the inspiration of bringing the laptop and a portable player. The following case was much easier to deal with. It was about a series of robberies in high profile cases and Siwon had an idea from the start in regards to how the plan was being made. To her surprise, Heechul and Siwon had teamed up in helping solving the case and had made quite a presentation in regards to how those robberies could be pulled off like that. Half of the day she spent listening to that presentation, compliments of Hyukjae who arranged for a live streaming of the moment. It had turned actually hilarious because the two knuckleheads actually took the presentation seriously and had pulled out a stunt as if they were selling a ten numbers company or something.

The third day was boring because the two guys had to do some trials and apparently set up an entire working room to see if they were right or wrong. Moon and Kyuhyun both agreed that it was almost a sin to not be at the house and watch the two mess around. Thankfully, Donghae promised videos which were delivered towards the end of the day and they were delivered. A nurse had to enter the room and let them know they were laughing too loudly at whatever they were laughing at. Kyuhyun apologized sincerely while Moon kept quiet, not really that upset at making some noise.

Day number four was the perfect recipe for boredom as well but thankfully Kyuhyun decided to help her learn how to play games and that took half of the day. She was insulted at some point when he mentioned that for a hacker she at games. She entered into a debate about how it was not relevant. She could be a genius at making programs and setting algorithms and yet not figure out how to play Starcraft. That was when Kyuhyun felt insulted because she called his game stupid and he loved that game.

On day number five, Moon was finally allowed to leave the hospital room and go for a round trip around the hospital, even inside the garden. It that she had to use a wheelchair but at least she was not the one moving it. If it were up to her, she would have installed just one little device so that she could control everything via a digital remote but when she said that, Kyuhyun just shook his head and let out a sigh, seemingly bored about all her improvement ideas. The fun part was that they were starting to play a game in which they made up lines for the people around and took guesses about the people and where they worked.

Technically, it wasn’t a week in the hospital but six days. Today was day number six and they were waiting to see if they figured out the next target for the robbers. If they were right, Moon had previously suggested a security system that could open a back-up camera if the feed was cut and they could have footage of the robbers. Of course, everything with the approval of the potential victim. The prey also had a blue paint system so if the robber tried to take the content of the safe outside of the house, they were going to get Avatar blue. And while waiting for that, Kyuhyun had decided to give her another chance at the game.

“Seriously?” she pushed the game towards him, literally done with it.

“You were ....just two more moves.” He groaned, picking the station up and looking at the screen even more attentively, still not believing that she lost right at the end.

“I think I am good with my other computer related abilities.” Moon let out a sigh of her own. “I’ll leave game as your computer related ability.” She , her only joy while inside that hospital.

“I still don’t get it. You multitask between four screens, four keyboards and all that information but you can’t keep your eyes on ten little people on the screen.” He closed the game and then threw it on the chair.

There was enough space for two people on that bed and sometime during the third day, instead of standing on the armchair or the chair, Kyuhyun had found his place next to her on the hospital bed. The first hour was the awkward one of them all but after that, they didn’t even flinch. Not when the doctor came in, not when the nurse came in and not even when Hyukaje dropped by. One could have thought that they were brothers, married or best friends if they looked at how close the two of them were and yet the only ones that didn’t seem to get just how close they were involved the two: Moon and Kyuhyun.

“I don’t get the whole magic powers and like that.” She defended. “What was that.... dragon thingy....” she tried to mention, putting on a disgusted look on her face.

“That was League of Legends.” Kyuhyun looked at her as if he could not believe the profanity or blasphemy she just said.

“Fine...then  zerglings or whatever.” She let out a deep sigh.

“Or whatever....” she mimicked him.

“It’s a strategy game. As long as you see it as a strategy....” Kyuhyun tried to calm himself down. “It helps to think any situation from different perspectives.” He gave the best excuse to play the game.

“Fine.” She finally agreed to give him whatever he wanted just so that he would drop the subject. “Can we check and see if they got it right?” she turned towards him, needing anything else but the game topic to survive.

“The robberies happen at night. There are still 4 hours.” Kyuhyun checked the watch and then turned back to look at her.

At first Moon just gave him a side look but right after that, slowly, a pout began forming, her tilting her head to look at him as if she was a lost kid and needed some help. Kyuhyun tried to stay strong and even narrowed his eyes at her to fight back her pout but just as he could stare for minutes without problems, she could put on an even sadder expression to fight it back. In the end, he gave in to how she looked and got up from the bed, moving to pick up his jacket.

“Up for another game?” he asked as he picked his jacket up, turning around to look at her.

“Can we go towards the psychiatric ward?” Moon reluctantly agreed,

She still needed help with getting out of bed and it was pretty hard for her to walk but it had gotten much better than before. When Kyuhyun brought the wheelchair over, Moon let out a groan and then whimpered, whining almost like a little child that had received the absolute worst gift at Christmas.

“Seriously?” he rolled his eyes at her, slightly amused by her reactions.

“I can’t be crippled for all my life.” She groaned again. “I’m not even crippled now.” she tried to reason with him.

“Are you trying to set me up for a headlock or something?” he teasingly glared at her, pushing the wheelchair away.

“I’ll answer that after I get special ops training.” Moon confidently grinned at him, moving her legs a little so that he could tell she needed her flops.

“Deal.” He agreed and then went searching for the flops.

He had helped her a lot. He was kicked out of the room whenever she needed to change and she had shouted at him from inside the bathroom to bring her all sorts of things but he could easily claim that he had been more than supportive. He even learned how wash someone’s hair like they did it in hair salons and gave it a try with her as she sat in her wheelchair, head leaned back. He had been there, in the doorframe, as she brushed her teeth, just in case she dropped something and needed picking up. The doctor had mentioned that she was not allowed to bend or put any pressure around her waist so she couldn’t even lean down for her shoes.

He was also the one that helped her get in and out of bed even when Hyukjae came by. Donghae had offered to come and help but somehow, without Kyuhyun’s interference, the rest were too busy. Only the black haired had half an hour here and there to spare, time where he came and brought some food and shared information about what had happened. In fewer words, Kyuhyun had been left alone to look after Moon and he was doing an amazing job at it. Since he was supposed to be an officer on protection duty, some of the nurses even made out a scenario about a cop falling for a beautiful thief that caught a sicko of a serial killer.  Because of that scenario, when Kyuhyun helped Moon out of the salon, one hand gently around her waist and the other ready to catch her if she fell, his body too close to hers and his attention solely on her, some of the nurses threw glances at each other and then towards them.

“See?” Moon smiled brightly, looking at him. “I can walk.”

“I see.” Kyuhyun agreed with a smile just as bright.

In the days he got to spend with her, he had learned a great deal of things about her. She was childish at times. Like when she wanted a specific kind of cookie and when he couldn’t find it,

Please log in to read the full chapter