I. RANDOM PEOPLE

The KISS Unit
Please log in to read the full chapter

I promised I will update the first chapter for whichever new story gets 12 subscribers the first. I didn't expect it to have so soon so I apologize for checking this late.

The first chapter for this story. The first Chapter for Exposure will be added when it reaches 20 subscribers or when one of the older Kyu stories is finished. Thank you for subscribing and enjoying my stories!! Love you all !!!

 

Chapter 1. Random people

 

Many praised South Korea and talked about their low criminal rate and high efficiency. It was nice to hear all the compliments and get the applause, read all the statistics and use them again and again. It was nice but it wasn’t exactly true. Yes, whenever a crime happened and it was reported to police they had a one of a kind system in which the case would go to prosecution even if the complainant took back the accusations but that was about it. Suicides that looked like suicides but in reality they were at times just intricate works of those that wanted to get away with murder. If Japan had the Yakuza then South Korea had its own mobsters. There were neighborhoods over neighborhoods where even the police didn’t enter. All those dramas about crimes when the police looked utterly incompetent? True to some extent. All those scenes in which it is shown they know some criminals but don’t have evidence? Truth to that as well. They had entire databases of people that they knew where up to no good, did no good and yet no arrest warrant for them. In other words, it was easy for the police to deal with small regular cases but the really big ones...oh, they were a completely different story. The States had FBI, CIA, NCIS, CIS, Homeland Security, consultants and established laws for private investigators but South Korea was not that lucky. NIS dealt more with foreign missions that had implications on an economic or diplomatic level while the Police dealt with the rest but God knew that even with all the departments dealing with Serious Crimes, Cyber Crimes and others, that it was still not enough.

But people had ideas. And one of those ideas was now being put into action. Park Jung Soo by his real name had made himself quite a quick career in the Police Force. He had managed to become a Superintendent by the age of 33 and was quite proud of the work they were doing. Seoul was one of the hardest cities to protect if not the hardest one. Happenings were a common occurrence and the dynamics of the city was the perfect brewing place for criminal activity so there were things that escaped the attention of the police. In simpler words, they were outnumbered, poorly paid and had too many cases to handle which often lead to poor handle of the more serious criminals that were out there. More people were needed.

Jung Soo or Leeteuk, as he had been nicknamed by one of his chiefs at some point because he was a special type of person, was not really sure what was the best way to deal with the lack of personal but wasn’t the type to just jump at any given opportunity and hope for the best. So he was reluctant too. When the Commissioner had called him for a private meeting, at first he thought he had committed some serious felony and was going to be taken to jail or something. People of his rank did not get to meet the Head of Police Force and when they did it was mostly at events or emergency meetings or something. At first, he couldn’t believe what he was hearing and had a great sense of deja-vu. It sounded too surreal but orders were orders and he was going to obey them.

He had been given three days. During those three days he had studied and had looked over resumes and accomplishments of those most talked about in the police force, he had wished the names he needed would simply jump at him and make his life easier. Hard work paid off though and by the time he was approaching the deadline for reporting back to the Commissioner, he had the names of two people that he believed to be perfect for the job. He was relieved when he got approval to contact them and then established the meeting with them. He was still worried about whether the two could handle such an environment but there were enough good things to recommend them.

Cho Kyuhyun. 29 years old. After high school he had gone into military service and then went to college as he was discharged putting extra effort into studying for the Civil Servant exam. He had been in the NIS for a few years but then resigned and joined the police force. The main reason for the resignation seemed to have been an accident on a foreign mission that put him in a coma for a few days and almost killed him. The boy still wanted to do something good so he stayed with the police and worked cases. He had quick wits, high IQ, was quick to catch on when someone was lying and despite his accident he was still very quick on his feet.

Lee Hyukjae. 31 years old. He was fast and he was on good terms with everyone. He had a really high closed cases rate and had the ability of tricking people to the point the idiots made a confession while showing off. He was one of the best trained and athletic ones in the force. He was also very attentive with details and loved order and had a memory that could have rivaled that of an elephant. His abilities and personality had helped him reach the rank of Inspector.

Their skills were good and they were also of an appropriate age and generation. For the team that needed to be put together, they had the perfect age, knowledge and social skills and abilities to handle a group similar to them in many ways. If he had picked anyone older, the generation gap was going to kill the team before it even started. The rest of the team members had a rough personality and they would have clashed big time with anyone older than them. It was still a bit weird that the Commissioner decided to put the younger of the two in charge but it made sense if they took into account the differences in work between an organization like the NIS and the police. Cho was used to high profile cases, undercover missions, fights and usage of guns having mastered a range of skills from there plus the ability to speak several languages. If Leeteuk were to be honest, he was sure Cho had been chosen because of his poisonous tongue and quirky remarks, the only things that could have rivaled an attitude as strong as the others had. Lee was too sweet and kind for his own good, if you asked him.

Arranging his suit and buttoning the jacket, he held tightly to the file map he had brought with him and walked towards the entrance of a building where he had summoned the two. They two were waiting at the entrance, exchanging small chat and getting to know each other. While they both worked for the Seoul Police Department, they were in different stations and didn’t cross paths that much. Jurisdiction was pretty well defined so there were rarely arguments over who had to take what case.

“Superintendent Park.” Both of them greeted as they noticed the other, bowing their heads politely and taking out the hands from their pockets to put them properly by their body.

“Mr. Cho, Mr. Lee.... thank you for coming.” Leeteuk smiled at them, signaling them to open the door and enter.

As he took lead, he took out his key and then opened the door to what they thought was an apartment and stepped aside to allow them to enter first. Stepping inside, both looked around amazed to see what was in there. A really big room with quite a few big screens, a conference table, laptops over laptops and furniture that looked extremely expensive. It looked like a really high class working office and created a serious contrast with the outer appearance of the building.

“Please.... Take a seat.” He urged them as he moved towards the conference table and reached the end of it to open the big screen across from it.

Kyuhyun and Hyukjae both glanced at each other and then took a seat on opposite sides of the table. They were tired, having just finished a shift and they could have been called at any given moment to return to their designated stations so they hoped that this meeting would end really quick. Kyuhyun was mostly anxious to finish it because he had just been on a stake out and smelled. Bad. He would have taken off his black leather jacket and remain solely in his grey t-shirt but he was not sure the smell was a proper fragrance for a place that looked high tech and expensive. Hyukjae looked a bit better, his parka full of wrinkles though, the eye bags a clear sign of having spent hours completing and submitting reports over reports. Compared to the Superintendent that was dressed up formally, in a suit, they looked pretty much like bums.

“You are here to work on a new assignment given to you by the Commissioner himself. I trust you two will have the time to get to know each other better so I will get straight to the point.” Leeteuk smiled and then began placing the files on the conference table, arranging them in pairs.

“Do our chiefs know about this assignment?” Kyuhyun asked with curiosity, remembering that his chief had not been at the precinct when he went to hand in his report.

“For the time being, both of you are no longer working under Korean National Police Agency. For how long, I do not know yet.” Leeteuk informed them.

Both Kyuhyun and Hyukjae leaned closer to the table and placed their elbows on the surface of it, a small frown appearing on their face as they heard this piece of information. They didn’t really understand what they were saying or t

Please log in to read the full chapter