Chapter 9

In Plain Sight

“Splash me and I'm breaking up with you.”

 

“Lunaaa!”

 

“No! Get away from me!” she giggled, knees rising high as she ran through the water, Amber following closely behind. Her arms wrapped around her from behind as a wave hit them both. Luna shrieked in surprise and Amber couldn't hold back her laughter as the two became completely soaked.

 

They collapsed under their umbrella when they were done, Luna laying flat on her front, droplets of water still scattered across her back. Amber was seated on the beach towel beside her, huddling towards the shade. Luna’s head was on her hands and she smiled when Amber rubbed her bare shoulder.

 

“Did you have a good time today?”

 

“I did,” she smiled, turning so that she could prop herself on her elbows to face her.

 

“Good,” Amber grinned as she leaned down to kiss her until Luna moved away.

 

“Am…” she cautioned, brushing a bit of sand off her towel.

 

“What? Not here, either?” she exclaimed, annoyance evident in her tone as she watched Luna sit up and pull on her loose t-shirt.

 

“C’mon, Am.”

 

“I can't kiss you here, I can't kiss you at home-”

 

“Because it's weird! What if your family saw us?”

 

“Then let's go to a hotel,” Amber pleaded, grasping Luna's forearm as she chuckled in response.

 

“You’re crazy!”

 

“Then just kiss me,” Amber came closer, “We're in Hollywood. We're not exactly the stars everyone's worried about here.”

 

With the way she held her cheek and had that look in her eyes, Luna wasn't that hard to persuade.


“Amber, I'm fine!” Luna whined later that day as she was seated up on the kitchen island, her hair wet from her shower. Her bare leg was outstretched in Amber's hands as she applied some ointment to the large gash on her shin.

 

“I need to treat it before you get an infection,” she muttered, “‘Let's ride bikes by the beach. It'll be fun!’” Luna frowned and Amber accidentally pressed too hard, causing her to wince as a result.

 

“I'm sorry,” Amber bit her lip, stopping to look up at her, her hand apologetically rubbing her other leg.

 

“It's fine,” Luna said, dismissively waving her hand.

 

“I just don't like that you're hurt.”

 

“Well, it’s just my leg. I think I'll survive,” she said, tapping on the counter, “Worst part was just the shower.”

 

Another frown fell on Amber's face as she picked up one of the three bandages on the counter. She applied it and grabbed the second, “Well, no more getting hurt, okay?”

 

She put on the last one and gently smoothed them all down, pressing a kiss on Luna’s knee when she was done.”There. All better now.”

 

“Thank you, Amby,” Luna smiled, her arms reaching out for Amber to come closer.

 

“Oh, so now you'll kiss me?” she said jokingly, stepping towards her.

 

“Nobody's home,” she whispered, her arms wrapping around Amber's neck while she had to bend down with the height of the island. Their lips met in a soft kiss. Luna laughed when Amber had to come closer, straining up just so she could her easier. It lasted for a few moments, not heavily laced with passion, and grins were plastered across both their faces when they pulled away. Amber stepped back an inch, her arms still loosely around her middle.

 

“You hungry?”

 

“I am,” Luna nodded, cutely rubbing her stomach.

 

“Okay, well you're luck,” Amber said as she moved toward the cupboard and pulled out a pot, “Because I am going to make you my most special, most wonderful, and most delicious signature dish.”

 

Luna swiveled around, watching as she filled the pot with water and set it on the stove. “But you never cook?” she questioned, raising an eyebrow, amused at the sight of her running around the kitchen.

 

“Oh, my dear Luna, you just wait,” she said as she ransacked the pantry, “You're about to have the biggest surprise of your life.”


“That was, like, really good mac and cheese, right?” Amber asked as they settled into the couch.

 

"That was,” Luna agreed, satisfied and full as she sank back into her with her legs stretching out onto the coffee table.

 

“Best you've ever had?”

 

“Totally.”

 

Contented by her response, Amber kissed the side of her head and leaned back into the armrest, one arm dangling over with the other swung around Luna’s shoulder. She grabbed the remote and switched on the t.v.

 

“Well now it's time for me to educate you on the beauty that is 90’s sitcoms.”


By the time her parents came home, Luna had fallen asleep against her after their fifth episode of Friends, both of their bodies sprawled out across the couch.

 

Amber turned around to as they stepped through the door to quietly greet them. “How was the party?” she asked, pointing down at Luna's sleeping form.

 

“It was pretty good. Everyone said to say hi,” her father mirrored her tone, pausing to stare at the screen.

 

“You don't want to take her to your room?” her mother asked, gesturing down at Luna just before she began to stir. Making a slight noise, her eyes fluttered open and she soon caught sight of Amber's mother and father standing behind the sofa. Startled, she abruptly moved her body away from Amber's, sitting up.

“Oh, you're back.”

 

“Yes, dear, sorry if we woke you,” Mrs. Liu apologized, eyes widening as she caught sight of Luna's bandaged leg.“Oh no! What happened?”

 

Someone doesn't know how to ride a bike,” Amber teased and Luna's cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

 

“It was just an accident,” she mumbled and Amber stared at her with a mischievous grin on her face.

 

“Well, I hope you're not in too much pain. You just tell me if you need anything when my daughter’s being too annoying to help,” her mother said and Luna couldn't help but smile at the casual way she spoke.

 

“Thank you,” she told her, feeling comfortable enough to add, “She can be very annoying.”

 

Both her parents laughed in response and Amber watched happily as Luna loosened up. In an instant, however, her previous tightness resumed when grabbed her phone on the table as it began to ring, eyes growing wide as she read screen.

 

“It's my mom!” she stated, explaining her rapid change in demeanor. She pointed towards the hall, trailing off,“I should..”

 

Amber nodded, sighing at the immediate nervousness that filled her eyes as she stood to answer the call.

 

“Omma?” she answered the call shakily, grimacing when she took a heavy step with her injured leg,“Ah-that was nothing, I'm fine...”

 

The sound of her voice as she rambled in Korean faded as she headed down the hall.

 

“Does her family know?” Amber’s mother asked, reading the situation easily as she leaned against the back of the couch.

 

“No,” Amber shook her head sadly, “And who knows when they ever will...”


But little did she know that that time would be much sooner than she thought.


Fun fact: I've got like 20 different scars because I apparently don't know how to ride a bike either lmao.