Chapter 17

In Plain Sight

“Amber, just please leave me alone for a while I just want to-” Amber said her name again, differently this time, and Luna glanced up, finding her gaze fixated on something behind her. Slowly, Luna turned her head to the side, then moving her body around, her hand rising up to cover .

 

“Omma?” Luna stammered, staring at the woman before her. Her heart began to tremor in her chest and she stumbled forward, her gaze travelling to man standing at her mother’s side. “Appa?”

 

There was no way. There was no way. Just as she was beginning to think she was seeing things, her eyes locked with her mother’s. They stared at each other for she didn’t know how long. “Omma?”

 

It was as if the next step she took forward snapped her mother out of her reverie. “Honey,” she snapped to her husband beside her, “Let's go.”

 

“What?” Luna's voice broke as she walked toward them. “No, please just talk to me for one sec-”

 

“We have nothing to say to you,” her mother responded as she took another step back. Amber watched from her place a few feet behind Luna. She wanted to intervene, so badly. In front of her was the reason for all of Luna’s pain. The woman standing before her was responsible for it all, and the mere sight of her ignited a fire in Amber's chest. Even with her stubborn expression that so eerily resembled that of the girl she loved, it still filled her with rage. It took all she had to keep her composure. This wasn't her fight to fight, no matter how much she wanted to. It was Luna’s.

 

“Appa?” She watched as Luna inched forward, looking desperately to her father for help. The older man seemed to avoid her gaze. “Could you please try and reason with her?  Appa, please?

 

That last plea caused her father to glance down at her and Amber swore she saw a look of pity in his eyes. The sniffle indicating Luna had begun to cry did little to gain any sympathy from her mother. How a mother could turn away from her child's tears, Amber didn't know.

 

“Yeobo, let's go,” she said, tugging on her husband's sleeve. They started to move away and Luna stayed in her place, frozen, not even attempting to follow. Amber took this as her cue to go to her. Luna’s parents were quickly disappearing down the path, though Mr. Park briefly looked back, meeting Amber's eyes as she pulled his crying daughter into her chest. They held each other's gaze for a few moments, but before Amber could even try and read his expression, he turned back around and they were soon gone. Amber shut her eyes, pushing that odd occurrence off for another time. She pressed her cheek against the top of Luna's head as she sobbed against her, gently her hair.

 

“I'm so sorry, sweetheart,” she murmured as she felt more tears fall to her chest, “Let me take you home.”


After their little trip to America, Amber had successfully got Luna into old American sitcoms, most of which were luckily on Netflix. Amber was especially thankful for this as they somehow succeeded in the impossible of making Luna laugh after the horrible day she had.

 

After they got home, Luna immediately slipped away for a hot shower from which she returned looking like she’d cried throughout the whole thing. She spoke only a few words and Amber feared she’d be on the receiving end of the cold shoulder like she was the last time Luna was upset. Amber went for her own shower, willing to give Luna her space.

 

Amber wasn't really sure what led to this, but after she returned in her coincidentally matching set of sweats, she and Luna somehow ended up on the couch, cuddling through their fourth episode of Friends. Almost naturally, Luna just reached for her and that's what they ended up doing. She soon began to laugh through each joke in a way that indicated she wanted to forget the entire day even happened. Even though Amber was a bit saddened by her refusal to talk about what had occurred, she was happy for the fact that Luna was at least not pushing her away. Unlike before, when she'd dealt with her problems through solitude and silence, she didn't push Amber away. As they continued to cuddle on the couch, Amber hoped her presence was a part of the reason for that smile that was occasionally beginning to resurface on her face.

 

Luna giggled and Amber couldn't help but land another kiss on the top of her head. She heard her let out a contented sigh before she was suddenly sitting up and setting her hands on both of Amber's shoulders.

 

“Amber,” she said softly, her eyes now only slightly red.

 

“Yeah, Lu?” she asked, reaching to softly touch her cheek. Luna didn't say anything else, suddenly wrapping her arms around Amber's neck in a tight embrace. Amber held onto her, fiercely returning the embrace in fear that she would burst into tears again. She didn't, and a few moments later she pulled away to steal a chaste kiss from her lips.

 

“I don't know what I'd do without you,” she whispered quietly before resuming to their previous position with her head against Amber’s chest before she had time to respond.

 

If that was all the talking she would get out of her today, that was fine, Amber thought as Luna resettled herself against her. If simply holding her and translating English jokes was enough, then that's all she was going to do. She suddenly thought back to the fight they'd been having earlier that afternoon, but knew that was a topic for another time. They'd deal with that later. Right now was just operation-make-Luna-happy-again.

 

“Hey,” Amber said, deciding it was time for what would be the third phase of the plan, “How do you feel about pizza? I'm thinking a large with extra cheese with even more in the crust. Plus breadsticks. And beer. That sound good?”


Luna made a small noise and Amber later figured her lips crashing down onto hers was a yes.


K y'all. It's been a while and I just threw this together so I may be a little rusty. I hope there's at least a couple of you still into this story. I have the next chapter sort of planned out, so it shouldn't be too long before that's out. If anyone cares....please comment if you do! Also sorry this wasn't too long.