Chapter 18

In Plain Sight

2nd update in a row so head back to the last chap if you haven't read that yet.


Amber couldn’t help but think back to what Luna had told her the night before.

 

I don't know what I'd do without you.”

 

As flattered as she was, as Amber thought  more about it, she really wasn't sure what she’d do. Luna had quite clearly lost the support of her family and the thought of it broke Amber's heart. She didn't know what she would do without her mom, dad, and Jackie. The fact that she was partially responsible for the divide between Luna and her parents, well, Amber wasn't sure if she'd ever get over the guilt of that, no matter how much Luna insisted that she wasn't at fault. And then there was the fact that their ever-so-busy idol schedules had caused them all to lose a few friends over the years. Amber had managed to bond with the other American singers in their line of work, but she knew that Luna didn't have that luck. The only people Luna really bonded with were her and the other members. And now, with things undeniably tense with the others, who else did that leave?

 

Amber's thoughts were brought to a pause as she heard Luna heading to the kitchen from the bedroom.

 

“Heading out?” Amber asked after a mouthful of cereal as she eyed her girlfriend's workout gear.

 

“Yeah,” Luna replied as she began to go through the cabinets in search of her Hydroflask. She soon found it, turning to the fridge to fill it up. “I just thought a good gym sesh would help clear my head, you know?” She turned around to face Amber who was seated on a barstool at the counter. “You could join if you'd like.”

 

“I mean...I probably should workout…”

 

“Okay, nevermind, lazy bum,” Luna laughed, sauntering over to her and resting a hand on her shoulder, “I'll just go and be back in a few hours.”

 

Amber, still in her pajamas, nodded and wrapped her arms around Luna's middle. “Okay, you have fun.” She pulled back and with the height of the chair their faces were at the same level. “I might step out for a bit, by the way. But I'll be back for lunch so I'll sort out something for us to eat?”

 

“Alright, that sounds good,” Luna agreed, giving Amber's cheek a quick peck before the reached over for her keys, “I'll be off then.”

 

“Yeah, bye,” Amber said, waving her off. She watched her retreating form, then listening for the eventual closing of the front door. Once Luna was gone, Amber grabbed her phone off the counter, searching for two names in her address book. Typing up a text, she hit send before setting down her phone again. Now, all she could do was wait for a response.


Amber took a sip from her tea, anxiously sending another glance around the small cafe. She'd gotten there a bit early, but it was finally the time they agreed upon. Any second now…

 

“Yah!” A voice startled her from behind. “So why’d you call us here?”

 

Krystal walked around the side of the table, taking a seat in the chair across from her. Amber blinked for a moment, watching as Victoria took a seat beside her.

 

“Did you guys, uhh, want to get something to drink?”

 

Victoria shook her head and Krystal only narrowed her eyes at her. Amber’s gaze darted between them before she awkwardly cleared .

 

“Okay…” Amber muttered, “I’ll just get to the point, then.” She paused and took in a deep breath. “Well, I first wanted to apologize. For everything.”

 

She looked over at Krystal who crossed her arms and cocked her head to the side, looking unimpressed. Amber tried to not let that deter her as she continued.

 

“For everything that Luna and my relationship has caused, I'm sorry. We should have…we should have told you guys about it first. And we should've handled things better and should have been more careful and...Well, we’re sorry. And Krystal,” she began, looking at her again, “I'm so so sorry for everything I said yesterday. I was such an and I was just...frustrated. You deserve that solo and I'm really happy that you got it. I don't blame you for taking it...at all, and I never should have said that I did. So for that, I'm sorry.”

 

It was silent for a moment and Amber watched nervously as the two of them processed over what she said. They exchanged a brief glance before Krystal suddenly spoke.

 

“It isn't entirely your guys’ fault, you know.”

 

“What?” Amber asked in confusion.

 

“What I said yesterday, about your relationship being the reason SM hasn't given us a comeback yet.”

 

Victoria interjected before Amber could respond. “With the Chinese drama deal I got, we wouldn't be able to debut until the end of the year, anyway. Krys’ solo was just something they were able to squeeze in.”

 

“And I guess I should've just told you guys about it first, so I guess I'm sorry about that…” Krystal said quietly, looking distractedly off to the side instead of in Amber's direction. “And even before your relationship scandal broke out they weren't really giving us anything, anyways.”

 

Amber let out a sigh, leaning back in her chair as she took another sip of her tea. “So with me and Luna dating, you guys are…?”

 

“You know what.” Krystal bit her lip slightly. “It honestly doesn't make a difference to me.”

 

“I'm fine with it, too,” Victoria said with a soft smile.

 

“It wasn't all too surprising, anyway,” the maknae added. Amber smiled, grateful for the fact that things were starting to feel like normal again.

 

“By the way,” Victoria said, “Where is our little Luna?”

 

Amber set down her cup, lightly drumming her fingers against the table. “Well that's part of the reason why I called you guys here.” They both nodded for her to go on. “Sunyoung’s parents, after finding out about us have been…” She didn't want to go into too much detail about her girlfriend’s problems, her vague statement being enough to gain looks of sympathy from both of her bandmates’ eyes. “She's just been hurt so much lately. And with her family being the way they are, I think you guys could...really cheer her up. You're family. So if you're willing, maybe-”

 

“Of course,” Victoria told her, gently covering her hand with her own.

 

“Yeah,” Krystal smirked, “Anything for our Lulu.”


Amber and Luna were seated in the living room at around 6 o'clock later that day. Amber was just thinking of how to subtly bring up dinner plans when Luna asked,

 

"Do you wanna go out to dinner tonight?”

 

“Oh, that's a great idea,” Amber said casually, “I'm down to hangout somewhere cool.”

 

“When do you want to go?”

 

Amber checked the time on her phone. “Uhh, maybe it'd be a good idea to start getting ready now?”

 

“Okay,” Luna said, rising up from the couch, “I'll go shower first then.”

 

“Mmkay,” Amber nodded, sending out another quick text on her phone.

 

-

 

“Luna, you almost ready?” Amber asked as she retrieved her vibrating phone from the dining table.

 

“Yeah, I'm done,” she said, her stilettos clicking against the hardwood floor. Amber turned around and surveyed her outfit-a slightly low cut top with tight jeans and heels. “Do I look good?” Luna playfully asked as she caught Amber’s eyes, doing a little spin for her.

 

“As always,” Amber complemented, reaching for Luna’s hand to bring it to her lips. She knew better than to try and kiss her and mess up her lipstick. “You know, Luna, I've been thinking,” she continued, releasing her hand to slink an arm around her hips, “Why don't we do something a little different tonight?”

 

“Different how?” Luna asked, arching an eyebrow. She traced a finger down the top of Amber's arm. “Different as in….who’s that?” She questioned when the doorbell suddenly rang. She stepped out of Amber's grip to head to the door, a confused expression on her face. She kept her hand on the handle, peering into the peephole for a moment before undoing the lock, asking, “Amber, why are-”

 

“Surprise!” Victoria and Krystal’s voices chimed in unison.

 

“What?” Luna exclaimed, staring at them in awe, “What are you guys-”

 

“Llama-head over here met with us and apologized for what happened yesterday. Well, we both did.”

 

“She did?” The still dumbfounded Luna asked, turning around to her girlfriend with a questioning look.

 

“Yes, and we agreed that it was time for all of us to have a girl's night,” Victoria said to the younger girl before tugging on her arm, “So, can we come in?”

 

“Oh, yes, of course,” Luna said, suddenly realized that they were all still awkwardly standing in the hallway. She moved aside, letting them in before shutting the door. She led them into the kitchen towards Amber, watching as Victoria handed over the bottle of wine Luna didn't realize she was holding.

 

“Why don't you crack this open, Amber,” Victoria said.

 

“Glad to.”

 

“Wait, wait, I'm confused!” Luna stated, glancing around at everyone in the room. They all paused to look at her and she uncomfortably leaned her weight onto the kitchen counter. “About me and Amber dating....I thought you guys were….”

 

“If you're happy,” Victoria said, moving over to her to wrap one arm around her shoulder, “Then we're happy.”

 

Luna looked over to Krystal who nodded in agreement with a smile.

 

“Really?” Luna said, still sounding unsure, “So you're not mad?”

 

“Yah,” Victoria laughed, lightly tapping the top of her head, “We meant what we said, and that's it, okay?”

 

Luna nodded, still trying to take it all in. She scooted closer into Victoria's familiar embrace, something she feels like she hadn't done in way too long. She didn’t realize how much she missed it. “O-okay.”

 

They all looked to her, recognizing that tremor in her voice easily.

 

“Oh, please don't tell me you're going to start crying right now,” Krystal groaned with a classic eye roll.

 

“I won't,” Luna mumbled unconvincingly, reaching her arm out for the young maknae. She obliged, squishing Luna in a quick hug with Victoria.

 

“Alright, alright, no crying, Sunyoungie,” Amber said, walking over to them with two wine glasses in her hand. She handed them to Victoria and Luna, “Now it's time just enjoy this wine.”

 

“Hey, dude, why are there five glasses?” Krystal asked as Amber gave her one.

 

Just then, the doorbell rang. “Well, I may have called one more person…” Amber said with a mischievous grin as she ran to the door. Curiously, they all followed, watching as she undid the lock to reveal none other than…

 

“Sulli!” The three of them exclaimed.

 

“I thought it was time for the whole gang to get back together,” Amber said as she was tackled with a hug from their original tallest and youngest member.

 

“Hyung!” she squealed, “I’m so happy you called me! I've missed you so much!”

 

Sulli pulled back and when she and Krystal’s eyes met, they both screamed, that level of excitement on Krystal’s part being an extremely rare occurrence that only ever happened when they were together. Hugs and more excited screams were all around before Amber managed to huddle them all back into the kitchen.

 

“Okay, everyone!” Amber said, loud enough to get all of their attention, “Drink up because we’ve got a crazy night ahead of us! Understood?”

 

They all clinked their glasses together and cheered. Still standing beside Victoria, Luna looked across to meet Amber’s gaze. Though she couldn't do it now, Luna knew she had to thank her for putting this all together. Though Amber would definitely insist that that wasn't the case, Luna knew that she'd done this all for her. Blowing her a subtle kiss, Luna made it her plan to shower her girlfriend with many many more that night. 


Kryber is a really big ship, but like Jungli? Waaay better in my non biased opinion