Chapter 12

In Plain Sight

Luna frowned at the screen, turning to find Amber mirroring her expression.

 

“At least we’re on t.v.,” Amber tried, shrugging her shoulders as Luna’s mouth remained in a fine line.

 

“No news has been heard about f(x)’s dating scandal from the members or management, aside from SM’s recent statement that neither denied nor confirmed the members’ relationship.”

 

“It’s quite evident though, isn’t it?” One of the hosts scoffed as the screen behind them projected the photo of them kissing.

 

“With Amber being American, it isn’t surprising that she turned out like this. She looks like one.”

 

“It's a shame she dragged Luna into this, though. Her poor family.”

 

“Let’s just turn this off,” Luna grimaced, turning so she could lay back into the pillows with her arm falling across Amber’s lap who remained seated up against the headboard.

 

“Who knows how SM will deal with this. The last thing they’d do is promote a homoual couple like this. The fans just won’t have it.”


“I won’t have it,” a woman laughed just as Amber changed the channel.

 

“So apparently I gave you the gay,” a sarcastic chuckle falling from her lips, “Didn't know it worked that way.”

 

“Am,” Luna squeezed her side.

 

“I know, I know,” Amber sighed, Luna’s hair, “But what do you think is going to happen with the festival? They’re just going to let us perform? They haven't even confirmed our relationship yet.”

 

“I don’t know, either,” she looked up at her, “I guess we’ll just have to see.”

 

Amber smiled softly, bending down to kiss the top of Luna’s head. “Guess so.”


Showing up to the festival together with joint hands may have not been the best idea, but they tried not to care. It was their first public appearance since the scandal and they hadn't been given much instruction. They were just told that their duet was cut and they didn't have an idea how their solo performances would go. It seemed that SM was simply trying to avoid the issue, which didn't make sense to the either of them, though it did seem like a normal pattern with management.

 

As they walked towards the performance area from the back entrance, everyone was staring at them. Crew members, stylists, and even other performers they'd considered friends-no one said anything to them. Their makeup artists were at least professional enough to treat them normally when they reached their dressing rooms and from her seat beside her, Amber reached out and grabbed Luna’s hand, whispering, “You’ll do great,” just before her short solo stage.

 

Great wasn't exactly how Luna'd put it. The lights felt brighter than usual and as she ran through her routine to the unwelcoming crowd-it was hard. She’d performed in front of dead crowds before, but it was hard. Still, she carried on and powered through, nearly running off the stage when it was finally over.

 

Waiting for her was Amber with Key beside her as they both encouragingly praised her performance. Amber held out her, welcoming Luna to step beside her so she could wrap it around her shoulder. “You did great, Lu.”

 

“I always knew there was something with you two,” he smiled after watching their brief embrace. “I'm happy for you guys.”

 

“Thank you, Oppa,” Luna smiled, relieved that at least not everyone was against them. She felt a little shy with Amber's arm still wrapped around her, especially so when a boy band walked by them, not bothering to hold back their whispers and stares, but it was cold in her revealing stage outfit so she tried to ignore them and scooted closer. Key noticed them, however, and sent icy glares their way.

 

“I know it must be hard, but I know you guys can handle this. And I hope...” Key said solemnly, pulling at the bottom of his jacket, “I hope you can make it better for the rest of us.”

 

It wasn't a huge surprised, yet they were both taken aback for a brief moment before Amber grinned at him, patting his arm,“We hope so, too.”

 

“I'm surprised they're letting you perform, though. Didn't think they'd want to have you out so soon.”

 

“We, uhh, didn't really get it either,” Amber shrugged, “Guess they don't really care about us.”

 

The bitter truth in her statement made them all chuckle a bit, Luna reaching up to squeeze Amber's hand that hung off her shoulder.

 

Moments later, the rest of SHINee appeared behind them as they were about to head on stage.

 

“So, uhh, I guess the rumors are true,” Minho said with slight awkwardness at their obvious position, “Good for you guys.”

 

“We’re happy for you,” Jonghyun also chimed in.

 

Luna blushed a bright red, bowing her head down slightly as Amber laughed. When she looked up, she finally noticed Onew standing behind the others, their gazes awkwardly meeting. He quite honestly looked a little dejected and Luna felt Amber's arm tighten around her, the action quite obvious. He immediately looked away and Luna fought the urge to roll her eyes at Amber as he did. When they walked away, Luna turned towards her, sighing, “Was that necessary?”

 

“Kinda.” Amber laughed.

 

When it was Amber's turn on stage, Luna nervously watched from the side, hands clasped. The audience was essentially as silent as hers, save for the few loyal fans in the front. It didn't seem too bad, Luna thought, and she was relieved when the set was nearly over, until it happened. Barreling towards her, what in just an instant she was able to dodge, was a water bottle aimed at her torso followed by an angry insult. Frozen, the mic dangling loosely in her hand as the music continued to blare, Amber stared blankly out into the crowd. No one else said a word and as the song came its end, she gave a quick bow before running from the stage.


“Baby, are you sure you’re okay?” Luna asked quietly as they were squished together in the back of their manager’s car.

 

“I’m fine, Luna, I’m fine,” Amber exhaled, turning to stare out the window, “It was just a stupid water bottle. And it didn’t even hit me.”

 

Luna pouted, leaning closer so that Amber had to move her arm for her to lean against her shoulder. “I just can’t believe someone did that to you.”

 

“It’s alright,” Amber muttered, letting her arm fall down to wrap around her, “I’ve had worse.”


“Can’t we just give our own statements to the public?” Luna narrowed her eyes, still furious over what happened the night before. Amber’s hand was in her lap as she mindlessly played with it, one of the managers wearily casting a glance towards them.

 

“We don’t think it’s a-”

 

“A good idea? What do we have to lose?” she countered, ignoring his stare as she aimlessly rolled Amber’s silver ring between her fingers.

 

“Our comeback’s already pushed back, isn’t it?” Amber added.

 

He looked to their hands again, this time making a face, before looking up at them. “We can't have you out in public yet. Not together. People just aren’t going to accept it, as I’m sure you know,” he said, referring to the incident, “If we officially come out with it, you’re going to have to stay out of the limelight for a while. And that still might not work. Mainly, the two of you can’t been seen together until things die down.”

 

“But what about Hyojeon’s wedding?” Luna asked, suddenly remembering their loyal dancer, “She asked us to sing at her wedding this weekend. We can’t bail.”

 

“That's not a good idea.”


“We already agreed,” Luna persisted with a hard tone and an unwavering stare, his sigh in response proving her success.


So basically everything's a mess because SM is handling them poorly (shocker, I know). This contained plot points, but was kind of a filler for me because I have other plans that have to come a little later.

 

Also, school is super hard and I'm really sad and this ship has just been on fire lately so for the love of god would more people write Lunber fics? Plz just nike that . Ok bye.