Chapter 7

In Plain Sight

Amber flipped to her other side, groaning as she fished for her vibrating phone on the nightstand. She chided herself for not putting it on silent and squinted against the harsh light of the screen. A moment later she headed to the door, yanking it open to reveal Luna standing on the other side. She silently slipped in, the force of her body nearly knocking Amber over as she held her tight. It was 5 a.m. so they just headed back to bed. She knew that something was wrong, that Luna had something on her mind, but for the time being, she decided to just let her tell her when she was ready.

 

Luna's head was resting on her shoulder, their limbs intertwined. The remained like that in silence and eventually Luna decided to say something.

 

“My mom called last night.”

 

There it is.

 

“She did?” It was so quiet, simply dark and quiet. The sun had yet to rise and not a soul outside had begun to start their day.

 

“She did,” Luna repeated in a small voice, her head rubbing against Amber’s shirt, “And I was already so frazzled after what happened with Vic.”

 

“I could tell.”

 

“I know. And I’m sorry,” she sighed and Amber rubbed circles on the small of her back, “It's just, she's not gonna take it well, my mom. Like at all.” She was speaking so quietly that if her face wasn't pressed up against Amber's chest, there was no way she'd be able to hear her. “She spent nearly half the phone call talking up this boy I used to go to church with, about how he wanted to see me and how we should get together sometime and all these things...”

 

She paused for a moment, shaking her head,“I'm just so used to telling her everything, you know? And after seeing away Victoria reacted, I bet she’ll either have a heart attack or try and send me to one of those camps or something,” she ended with a small laugh, “Or she'll never want to see me again.”

 

Amber was at a loss for words.

 

Luna’s sadness and cynicism over the matter was so devastating. Sure, they both had the public to deal with but she and her family were fine. Amber felt helpless against the stress of lying to her own parents that Luna still had to deal with. There was nothing she could do.

 

“I just wish we could be normal. That people could just accept us like normal,” Luna let out another sigh, scooting closer when she felt a chill, “I guess here in Korea that's just too much to ask for.”

 

“I wish it wasn't,” Amber whispered sadly, closing her eyes as she placed a kiss on her forehead. Luna's hand squeezed her side and she pulled back so their faces were just inches apart. She brought their lips together, a few short, small kisses. When she tried to pull away, Amber didn't let her, tugging Luna closer, their kissing a little more passionate than before. It made them both smile, easing a bit of the tension they had earlier.

 

“Let's go away somewhere.”

 

“Do you want to?” Amber held the side of her face as she tilted her head to look down at her.

 

“Can we?” Luna asked in surprise, her eyes widening slightly.

 

“If you want to, then yeah.”

 

“Like an actual trip?”

 

“Yes, an actual trip,” Amber nodded, tiredly kissing her nose, “No schedules, no promotions, no managers, just you and me. We'll be on hiatus soon, so we definitely can.”

 

Luna smiled softly at the thought. “That sounds amazing.”

 

“Then let's do it.”

 

“But where should we go?” Her eyes began to flutter, her sleepless night starting to catch up with her.

 

“Well, Jackie keeps saying they want me to come down for a visit.”

 

“Oh?”

 

“Does that...would you like to go?”

 

“Would they be okay with that? Me coming with you?”

 

“Of course! My mom loved you. You'd be totally welcome there..unless you think that's too weird. I understand if you do,” Amber said carefully, unsure of how she’d react.

 

“I would love to go to California with you,” Luna blushed before biting her bottom lip, “But I need to work on my English!”

 

“I can help you,” Amber grinned, rubbing a strand of Luna’s soft hair between her fingertips. She loosened her grip around Luna’s waist so that she could fall back into the pillow.

 

“So I’ll be able to see your room growing up?” she asked as she reached back to find Amber’s hand, turning so that she was resting on her side with Amber's arm swung over her middle.

 

“Well, we’ll be sharing my twin size bed in it,” Amber mumbled into her shoulder as she held her from behind,

 

“Your parents will let us sleep in the same bed?” she muttered.

 

“Well, Lu, they already know about me and they're not really going to care what we do. And it's not like they have to worry about either of us getting pregnant or anything.”

 

Luna snickered and gave her hand a quick squeeze, “If you're so sure.”


Guys, there's a kpop club at my school. I passed the booth and signed up, and then a bit later I heard BTS start playing. My friends made fun of me for joining the club but like??? I need to find my people?? LOL.