Chapter 16

In Plain Sight

“Hey, after the meeting do you want to stop by the furniture store?”

 

“For a new rug?” Amber asked as she opened the door to the SM building, holding it out for Luna to walk through.

 

“Yeah and maybe some other stuff to spruce up the place,” Luna said as she did, turning around to wait for Amber to follow her in, “Make it more ‘ours’ kind of thing.”

 

They made their way to the elevator and hit the button for their usual floor. “Hmm, yeah, we should get new curtains for the bedroom, too,” Amber replied.

 

“Sounds like a plan,” Luna smiled, waiting for the doors to open, “Hopefully this won't take too long.”

 

“They'll probably just tell us our comeback concept,” Amber said just as the elevator opened, heading out with Luna beside her towards the meeting room,“Let's just hope it's cool.”

 

-

 

“A solo?” Luna spoke when their managers finally left the room, leaving it to the four of them.  “You’ve recorded and everything?” Luna and Amber were seated on one end of the table with the others seated opposite them. Krystal was leaned back in her chair, her expression unreadable and Victoria beside her looked seemingly unfazed by everything they’d just heard.

 

“I never knew you even wanted to do one, Krys,” Amber remarked when she didn’t say anything, throwing a look in Luna’s direction, “You’ve never mentioned it before.”

 

“Well, I guess I just never talked about it,” she eventually shrugged, her eyes darting between the two of them before she stared down at the table.

 

“Interesting…” Amber said suddenly, seemingly to herself.

 

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Krystal looked up, her voice suddenly filled with annoyance.

 

“Nothing,” Amber shrugged, raising her hands innocently, “Doesn’t mean anything.”

 

“You’re so full of , Amber-”

 

“Well I’m just a little confused here, Krystal!” she said loudly in English, her face reddening with anger, Luna turning toward her in surprise. “Here we were, waiting for months for news of a comeback only to find out that you’ve gone and made your own album without telling anyone? I mean, really, Soojung? How could you?”

 

“How could I? You have got to be kidding me, Amber. You and Luna both got your own solos so why’s it so bad that I have one now?” she sneered back, “And why the hell do you think they haven’t given us a comeback in the first place! Do you seriously not think that you two aren’t to blame for this?”

 

“So because of that you just decided to screw us all and go out on your own?” Amber all but shouted, leaning forward to meet Krystal’s piercing glare.

 

“Well I wasn’t just going to sit around and wait for whatever they’d try and throw at us,” she replied, crossing her arms over her chest. Amber scoffed in response, too irritated to give her a reply. Instead, she turned toward their leader, Victoria, who’d been sitting there in silence the entire time.

 

“Well, do you have anything to say about all of this?” Amber asked irritably, watching as Victoria ran a hand through her hair before letting out a quiet sigh.

 

“Krystal was given an opportunity and I see why she took it,” she said bluntly, “Nothing we can do about it.”

 

Amber let out a disgruntled sound in response before turning towards Luna. “I can’t deal with this right now,” she said, standing up before tugging both hers and Luna’s jackets from the backs of their chairs, “Let’s just go.” She held out her hand to help Luna up, which after looking at the others for a moment, she took. Quickly, they exited the room, Amber striding ahead at a fast pace that nearly resulted in them knocking an intern over.

 

“Sorry,” Luna muttered to the girl before they continued their way to the elevator past dozens of watching eyes. They got down to the parking garage and entered Amber’s car, Luna watching her wearily as she gunned it out of the building.

 

“Amber?” Luna finally asked when they took a different turn from their usual route home. They were going incredibly fast and Luna had no idea where they were headed, Amber only silently reaching over to grab her thigh. Luna sighed, covering her hand with her own before turning her head to stare out the window. Eventually, Luna began to realize where they were going, recognizing the next couple of turns before they ended up in the familiar spot beside the river. It was a little nook beside the bridge that they went to many times before. They often took walks along the pleasant little trail and Luna knew Amber liked to come here to think, so it made sense that she’d brought them here now. It was overcast and a bit chilly, the light layer of snow that had fallen a few days back having melted away entirely. A few people were walking down the trail as they exited the car and headed towards it. Luna had to tighten her coat around as they headed down the small slope, Amber stopping at a flatter spot to unceremoniously plop herself down onto it. Luna sat down beside her, leaving a small gap between them before Amber scooted closer to wrap an arm around her, throwing little rocks into the water with the other. They were silent for a few moments, watching the few people that passed who luckily didn’t seem to notice them. The day left them with many things to consider, their minds swimming with thoughts and Luna laid her head against Amber’s shoulder, in search of both warmth and comfort as she waited for her to speak, wondering if she’d just be throwing rocks into the river all day. After a while, she felt her press a small kiss to her temple before finally saying,

 

“Have you ever thought about what our lives would be like if we never joined the band?”

 

“Well I would’ve never met you,” Luna said quietly.

 

“That’s true,” Amber replied, tightening her arm around her, “And I’m forever grateful for that.”

 

It fell quiet again and Luna was left to wonder just what was going on with her. The news about Krystal’s solo and the measly station song they’d been promised in the spring was of course disappointing, yet she wasn’t nearly as angered by it as Amber was. She was about to ask her about it before Amber suddenly said, “Do you remember what it was like in the beginning? How exciting everything was...how happy we all were...with Sulli there, too.”

 

“Well lots of things have changed, I guess.”

 

“I know they have,” Amber nodded, looking out over the calm water of the Han, “It’s all different now. We’ve all gotten older and it’s been so long…So much has changed.”

 

“I know,” Luna said, tilting up her head to look up at her, trying to figure out what she was getting at. Amber trailed her fingers up the puffy material of Luna’s jacket, gently squeezing her arm. Luna saw the way her eyes focused down on her lips and she leaned up, meeting her halfway in a brief kiss, her hand on the side of Amber’s face. They pulled apart and Amber reached up to grab Luna’s hand, holding it tightly as she stared into her eyes. She took in a deep breath, exhaling loudly.

 

“Do you think...do you think that maybe it’s time for us to move on?”

 

“What?” Luna asked, staring up at her in surprise. Her eyes widened, the look on Amber’s face confirming everything. She leaned back in shock, releasing her hand from her grasp as she exclaimed,“You want to break up the band?”

 

“Don’t you think it’s time?” Amber tried to reason with her calmly, holding onto her so she wouldn’t move away.

 

“B-but how can you just think of leaving like that? I mean, we’re a team! We trained together, debuted together, had our very first concert only just last year!”

 

“All those things have been great, but what more do you think is left for us? What more do you think management is going to give us? Do you honestly think they’re going to promote us the same after over half the country is against us? They’re just going to slowly push us out! So why not leave!”

 

“Leave and do what?” Luna asked, standing up suddenly, “What else are we gonna do with our lives?”

 

“We can go to the States!”

 

“What?” Luna said, turning around to look down at Amber who was still seated on the ground. She pushed herself up with her hands, moving so that she could stand directly in front of her, trying to reach for her hands.

 

“We can go make music in the States. Our contracts with SM are going to expire soon and I’ve been talking with some American producers and we can maybe-we can actually make our own music there.”

 

“Have you been planning this?” Luna’s eyes narrowed as she took a step back, letting her hands fall at her sides out of reach. She looked up at her with a mix of confusion and betrayal, stepping back again when Amber tried to come closer. “Have you actually been making plans to leave? Without telling me? After we went through all that trouble moving in together and talking about rugs and curtains, you want to just leave?”

 

“Nothing was set in stone! I’ve just been talking to different people and-”


“And so you just want me to leave and move to a country where I can barely speak the language?”

 

“I did! Years ago! And I was alone then, too. You’ll have me, Luna. I can help you with your English and we can actually make this work. Please just try and think about it.”

 

“I don’t want to think about it right now,” Luna muttered, crossing her arms over her chest for warmth as she backed up towards the trail, staring at the ground.

 

“Luna…”

 

“No, Amber, you just sprang this on me and I really don’t-”

 

“Luna…”

 

“Amber, just please leave me alone for a while I just want to-” Amber said her name again, differently this time, and Luna glanced up, finding her gaze fixated on something behind her. Slowly, Luna turned her head to the side, then moving her body around, her hand rising up to cover .

 

“Omma?”


Everyone's watching the Superbowl but I spent my time doing this :) hope you enjoyed