Chapter 10

In Plain Sight

They say the dining table is no place for a cellphone, but that's where Amber's was when it suddenly lit up with a dozen messages.

 

“Who is that?” Luna asked through another bite of Lucky Charms, having eaten an obscene amount of the stuff since she'd been there.

 

“I don't know,” Amber’s eyebrows etched together as she unlocked her phone. A moment later her spoon slammed down onto the table.

 

“What is it?” Luna immediately knew something was wrong. Amber held the phone closer to her face, her fingers quickly swiping at the screen. “What is it, Amber?”

 

Wordlessly, Amber tilted the phone towards her and Luna stood up from her chair. “Oh my god.”

 

She sprinted from the kitchen, heading upstairs to retrieve her own phone while Amber’s mother came to  stand by the sink, bewildered when Luna had run past her. “Amber, what's going on?”

 

She didn't reply, sighing loudly as her head falling into her hands as she tugged at her hair. “!”


Luna was seated on the edge of the bed when Amber finally went up to find her. Her hands were tightly clutching her phone and Amber could see a picture of the two of them zoomed in on her screen. There was a dip in the bed when she sat down beside her.

 

Luna didn't turn to look at her, still staring at the photo. “How did we not see them?”

 

“I don't know,” Amber exhaled tiredly, hands rising to rub at her eyes.

 

“Someone was following us,” Luna muttered, her head slowly shaking back and forth, “Someone followed us that whole day. That's such a..such an invasion of privacy! How could someone do this! They even came all the way back to your car!”

 

“I know.”

 

Luna threw her phone behind her and her head fell into her hands, much like Amber had done before. She could see as her chest heaved in frustration and she scooted closer, her hand landing atop Luna’s thigh.

 

“I’m not ready for this,” she said under her breath, crouching forward so her elbows were on her knees, “I’m not ready to handle this. They’re going to give us such a hard time.How are we supposed to do this?”

 

There was a hand rubbing her back and she sighed, turning to bury her face in Amber’s chest. Her arms tightened around her as she muttered against her hair, “I don’t know either, Luna. I don’t know.”

 

“Everyone has probably seen it by now, right?” Luna stammered into her chest, “Ev-even..”

 

There was a vibration on the bed and as if on cue, it was Luna’s mother. She twisted her body around to retrieve it, her hand shaking as she did. Blankly, she stared at the screen in her hands and didn't move.

 

“You don’t have to answer it,” Amber tried to tell her, the ringing continuing to persist. “You don't have to do it now.”

 

“But if I don't do it now…”

 

Amber looked at her and she closed her eyes. She felt a kiss on her temple and heard her whisper that everything would be okay. And then left, giving her the privacy she'd need.

 

Luna tried her best to take a calming deep breath, yet it barely worked. Her fingers shook as they hovered above the phone and in a split second, she hit the green button. She held it up to her ear and her voice, what managed to come out, was a small whisper. “Omma?”

 

“Park Sunyoung.”

 

Her eyes shut tighter at the way she said her name. She'd definitely seen the pictures. “Omma, I-”

 

“You..” Her voice was so cold. So hostile. There was something in it that Luna had never heard her before and it confirmed her fears exactly.“Those photos…”

 

The pictures. They were undeniable.

 

A touch here, a nudge there, and a kiss, the lip lock from the beach-the images spoke for themselves and she couldn't deny it.

 

“I-I’m so sorry…” Luna breathed heavily, a tightening in her chest. Moisture had already gathered in her eyes.“I should've told you-”

 

“You and that person are..are-”

 

Luna’s hand was over and she nodded. The call was going exactly as she’d predicted it. She was angry. “I'm sorry.”

 

“You're sorry?” she muttered quietly, and Luna could just picture the anger in her eyes, “Y-you’re actually…”

 

She didn’t want to say it. She didn't want to. She already knew the answer, and it was as if saying it out loud would only confirm it, make it worse. She wished she didn't have to say it, and especially not this way, but she did. And she put it the best way she could.

 

“I just fell in love, Omma.”

 

A pause. Silence. Breathing was the only sound of the call.

 

“This is what we get for sending you into this industry?”

 

That kind of response should've been anticipated, but it still cut through her like a knife.

 

“It’s not the industry that did this.”

 

“Vocal training..dance lessons..we didn't let you go through with all this for you to go and get corrupted by these people, by that person!”

 

“I wasn't corrupted by anyone!”

 

“Then what are you saying? That you're one of those...those vile..disgusting...unnatural-”

 

“I'm still your daughter, Omma,” she cut her off, tears running down her cheeks, and she hoped and prayed that that would change something, that it would strike a nerve somewhere, but her next words proved that it didn't.

 

“I didn't raise you to be like this.”

 

Years of practicing and rehearsing, tireless days and nights, she hoped she would never again see that one thing in her parent’s eyes. Disappointment.

 

And now it came like a slap to the face. And it stung.

 

“S-so you're saying you can't accept me?” She knew what the answer would be.

 

“Not until you get over this.”

 

“I'm not going to.”

 

And that was it.

 

Her phone flew across the room as she collapsed into herself. She didn't know how long it was until the tears dried away.

 

Amber came in an hour later and she was laying on her side, her back facing the door. Touching her, though badly as she wanted to, didn't feel like an option.


Slipping onto the bed, their bodies inches apart, Amber laid on her back and stared up at the ceiling, and like that, they stayed, minds racing in complete silence.


That phone call wasn't easy to write. I didn't think an insanely dramatic screaming fest would do it any good, so I settled on a simpler approach. I didn't want to really focus on homouality, either. I just wanted to emphasize that Luna really did just fall in love and that was that.