Chapter 15

In Plain Sight

6 weeks later

 

“Yeah, I can pick some up on my way home.”

 

“And eggs. We need eggs, too.”

 

“Alright, milk and eggs. Got it. Do we need anything else?”

 

“Uhh, no I think that's all. And you've had dinner already, yeah?”

 

“Yup.”

 

“Okay, I’ll see you later, then. Bye Amby. Love you.”

 

“Mhm love you, too. I'll see you soon.” Amber set down her phone, her eyes landing on Henry with an irritatingly smug look on his face as he made whipping motions with his hand.

 

“I'm not whipped, you idiot.”

 

“Mhmm.”

 

“It's just groceries, dude.”

 

“Yeah,” he sing-songed, “I know.”

 

“You're just jealous,” Amber scoffed, taking a long sip of her boba.

 

“Ah, yes, perhaps that's it. I always thought I'd be able to win you over one day.”

 

The look she gave him shut him up in an instant, his eyes darting to the window to watch the various people in thick winter coats scuttle across the chilly roads. He chewed the straw of his drink, eventually bringing his gaze back to her, giving her an awkward laugh. “Bad joke. I know.”

 

“I don't know why I'm friends with you,” Amber rolled her eyes, resting the urge to give him a good thump to the back of the head. He chuckled in response, finishing the last of his drink in one go, making obnoxious slurping sounds as he did.

 

“So things are good then? After a month and all?” he asked.

 

“Well, yeah, things are really good. As I knew they would be,” Amber said, thinking back to the past few weeks at home, “It's not like we haven't lived together before. It's easy. And nice.”

 

“Nice nice,” he nodded, leaning back in his chair, subtly acting as if it made his back hurt to guilt Amber over stealing the booth seat. Unbothered as she was, he leaned forward again, tapping his fingers along the edge of the table. “And how are things with the band? Any new projects?”

 

“Well, I might be making another trip back the States for some small projects since we're still waiting on news about our comeback,” Amber sighed, “They said it was pushed back to the beginning of this year so it's just a matter of time before we hear about it, right?” The skepticism in her tone was obvious and was something he could very well relate to at the moment.

 

“Yeah, hopefully they sort things out for you guys this year. You deserve the attention.”

 

“Thanks, Henry,” Amber said, “I hope they figure things out with you, as well.”


Shifting all of the grocery bags into one hand, Amber fumbled for her key, her shivering hands only increasing the difficulty of the task. Finally, she managed to get the door open, walking into the toasty apartment with the outdoor chill still deep in her bones.

 

“I'm back!” Amber called out as she made a beeline to put the groceries away.

 

“Ah, you're here?” Luna asked, looking over from the sofa to watch Amber quickly restock the fridge still in her thick winter coat, the fur-lined hood covering the entire back of her head.

 

“Yes, with milk and eggs and potential frostbite,” Amber muttered through chattering teeth, shutting the refrigerator door.

 

“Still cold?” Luna asked, hitting pause on the remote before standing up from the sofa to head towards her.

 

“Mhmm,” Amber nodded, meeting Luna halfway. She reached out with her marshmallow-like arms, pulling Luna into her chest.

 

“Aigoo,” Luna chuckled, nearly falling backwards as Amber clung to her. She could feel her nuzzle her face into her neck, the tip of Amber's nose cold against her skin. Luna smiled, running her hand up and down the back of Amber's head. “Very chilly out there, huh?”

 

“Mhmm,” Amber grumbled in response, pressing herself closer into the warmth of Luna’s embrace. “I hate winter.”

 

“Well why don't you go take a nice, hot shower, then? You'll feel a lot better, trust me.”

 

“Will you make me hot chocolate for when I get out?” Amber asked as she pulled her head away to stare down at her. Luna smiled, scrunching up her nose while reaching up to pinch Amber's cheek.

 

“Sure,” Luna said, rising up for a quick kiss, “Now that we have milk.”

 

Amber finally released her, allowing Luna to help push her jacket off her shoulders. Heading toward the coat closet with it in her arms, Amber stuck it on a hanger and shoved it in, shutting the door to head towards the bathroom, grinning at the framed photo of them kissing that hung on the wall as she passed.


Empty mugs were disposed beside their feet as they laid on the couch later that night. Amber, having been brought back to a normal temperature after her shower, was seated in a thin sweater, glasses constantly falling off her nose as she tapped away at her laptop. Luna’s shoulder was brushing against hers, her toes occasionally wiggling against Amber's ankle atop the coffee table as she scrolled through her phone, the tv blaring in the background.

 

“‘Nobody puts baby in a corner,’” she said randomly, repeating what she'd just heard on the screen. Amber looked up from her computer, turning her head to give her a strange look.

 

“You're so weird, Sunyoung-ah.”

 

“Hmm?” Luna hummed, leaning into Amber's side, “I just love this movie. It's so nice.” Amber pushed her glasses up before craning her neck to kiss the side of Luna's head.

 

“Weirdo.”

 

“Your weirdo,” Luna smiled, tilting her face up in Amber's direction while pushing out her lips. Amber took the hint, leaning down to seal the gap between them in a soft kiss. Luna came in closer, one of her hands letting go of her phone to hold Amber's cheek. Amber couldn't release her grip on her computer, so Luna had to twist her whole body over, eventually letting go of Amber’s cheek to stretch her entire arm over her shoulder. She let out a pleased sigh at the way Amber with her tongue, reluctantly pulling herself away at the crick her awkward position created in her side.

 

“Ouch,” she mumbled, running her hand over the area. Just as Amber was about to question what happened, Luna caught a glimpse of her screen out of the corner of her eye. “Hey! And you tried calling me weird?” she said, pointing to the various images of herself that Amber'd pulled up, “You're looking at pictures of me while I'm right next to you!”

 

“Hey, I was just going through the photos I got from last night.” Amber tried to defend herself, clicking through the different photos. “It was your last performance of it. I'm just trying to make sure there's enough for you to look back on and stuff.”

 

“Aww well then thank you, baby. Looks like you got plenty.” She leaned her head against Amber’s arm, looking at them with sad eyes. “Can't believe the musical’s over. But I guess with the comeback coming...soon I couldn't have done it anyway.”

 

“That's true.”

 

“Glad it went so well, though. All of the last few shows did. Aside from some hateful reviews, our little hiccup didn't change much.”

 

“Well I hope we'll be as lucky with the new album,” Amber said with seemingly false optimism.

 

“I hope so, too,” Luna agreed and the two of them fell into a bit of silence, each tapping away at their own device. Luna suddenly brought her phone up to her face, expressing a look of confusion. “Huh,” she said, pulling the phone away.

 

“What is it?” Amber asked.

 

“Ah, it's nothing. Just some weird rumor someone's spreading online-people are talking about Krystal having a solo? How strange.”

 

“Hmm,” Amber said, turning her head, “People just post the randomest things out there, don't they.”

 

“Yeah,” Luna agreed, suddenly breaking out into a yawn, “Well, I think I'm going to go to bed. You coming?”

 

“Nah I think I'll stay out here for a bit longer.”

 

“Alright,” Luna smiled, leaning in to press a kiss to her cheek, “Night, baby. Love you.”


“Mhm love you, too.”


Awfully calm here, huh? How strange...Sorry for late update I'm a ty person if you knew me in real life it'd make much more sense lmao