Chapter 8

In Plain Sight

“Am, I'm nervous,” she said, her small hand coming to grip hers as they headed to the airport.

 

“Don't be,” she squeezed back.

 

On the plane, takeoff about to begin, her hand enveloped hers again, “Still nervous.”

 

“It'll be fine.”

 

Getting off the plane, their hand carries rolling behind them, Luna's fingers curled around her elbow. “I don't know why I agreed to this. This was a bad idea.”

 

“Luna,” Amber groaned amusedly as they followed the sign towards customs, pulling her passport out of her pocket, “Everything will be fine. They'll love you, they've already met you, you're amazing and adorable, and you have nothing to worry about. Now you go here,” she said, directing Luna towards a different line while she went to the one for U.S. citizens, “I'll see you on the other side.”

 

Luna nearly cried out in protest when they had to part, anxiously tapping her foot as she stood alone amongst the colorful collection of tourists also here for a visit, doubting any of their trips could be as stress-inducing as hers.

 

Luggage claim went fairly smoothly and when they exited the airport, it was luckily only Jackie who had come to pick them up.

 

“Lil sis!” she exclaimed, wrapping Amber up in a tight hug before moving towards Luna to also give her a quick embrace, “And Luna! Long time no see!”

 

Luna smiled, her nerves being eased for a moment until they were piled into Jackie's jeep, heading for their parent's house. She was in the back seat as the two sisters were chattering away in the front. She was chewing at her nails as she stared out the window, turning her head to see Jackie glance at her through the rear view mirror before whispering to Amber, “Is she nervous or something?’

 

“I don't know,” Amber said in a louder tone, teasingly staring back at her, “It’s like she thinks Mom and Dad are psychopaths that are gonna eat her alive, or something.”

 

“I can understand you, you know,” Luna hissed, her eyes narrowing as she glared at her with her arms crossed.

 

“Oh, wow, Sunyoungie,” she quipped patronizingly, “Your English has gotten so good! I wonder who taught you.”

 

“Shut up.”

 

“You shut up,” Amber stuck out her tongue and Luna did the same, their eyes meeting in a staring contest, neither of them wavering until Jackie broke the silence.

 

“So you mean to tell me that no one knows you're together?” she scoffed, “Have they met you two? I mean, seriously?”

 

It took a little more driving until they finally pulled up onto the driveway of a quaint, one-story home.

 

They stepped through the door and Amber’s mother came barreling towards them, her father close behind.   

 

“You’re finally home!” her mother cried as she wrapped Amber in her arms, her father following suit.

 

“You’ve gotten taller,” her joked, messing with her hair. Luna stood, watching, her fingers laced together in front of her. Amber stepped back and held her arm.

 

“Mom, Dad, you remember Luna.”

 

“Oh yes, of course we do,” her mother said, exchanging a smug look with Amber’s father, “It’s a pleasure to have you staying with us.”

 

“Thank you for having me,” Luna managed, the phrase being one of the many she’d practiced before they left. She turned and found Amber smiling at her, her hand still on her arm and evidently her parents didn’t seem to mind, though it still made Luna awkwardly smile in response. She supposed she had been overreacting, after all.

 

But it was still awkward as hell.

 

A bit later, at a round table, they sat. Luna’s hair was wet, and she had to ask Amber a million times that she was sure it was okay to wear pajamas to dinner. She eventually gave in, wearing a cute matching set with turtles on the pants, still not confident until Amber reassured her that it was adorable and that she should just shut up and eat.

 

“I missed your cooking, Mom,” Amber said as she served her plate, grabbing Luna’s so she could serve it, too.

 

It shouldn't have felt weird, because they were just eating dinner and not even hinting at all at their being in a relationship, but it still felt weird. Perhaps it was just the fact that she was eating fried rice with her girlfriend’s parents in her pjs.

 

“So,” Amber’s father said, “Any crazy stories?”

 

They were so casual, Luna noted, and she smiled shyly at them and tried to follow the conversation, silently listening as Amber talked about some of their performances. Her hand held Luna’s under the table, and she feared it was obvious, though it probably wasn't.

 

After dinner, her mother had gotten up to clear the table and Jackie and her father had gotten up to look for something. Luna tried to suppress a yawn after their weary day of travel,but failed, Amber catching sight and running her fingers down her arm.

 

“Sleepy?” she asked in Korean.

 

“No,” Luna lied, rubbing at her eyes, too tired to bother pulling her arm away. She didn't notice Amber's mother watching them as she scrubbed a dish at the sink.

 

“You sure?”

 

“No.”

 

Amber chuckled and stood up from her chair, bringing Luna to stand with her.

 

“I think we're going to turn in early for the night.”

 

Mrs. Liu smiled warmly at them and Amber walked towards her to give her a hug, “Night, Mom. Goodnight, Dad! Jackie!” she called.

 

“Night, kiddo!”

 

Luna yawned again and unsure of what else to do, bowed slightly, “Goodnight, Mrs. Liu.”

 

“She's so formal,” she said quietly to Amber, rubbing her back, “Goodnight, dear.”

 

Amber laughed, and Luna didn't hear why. Before she could ask, Amber took her hand, turning them around to head her towards her bedroom.

 

“Am,” she embarrassedly tried to slide away, “Do you have to-”

 

“What?” She swung an arm over her shoulder, pressing a kiss to her cheek.

 

“So embarrassing!” she shrieked and tried to speed forward, hearing Amber's mother laugh as they headed down the hall.

 

Like the silly little mundane couple they were, they brushed their teeth together and hopped into bed. It was a twin, just as Amber’d said, but with the way Luna clings to her in her sleep, it wouldn't matter.

 

“Your parents are really nice,” Luna, as expected, curled up against her with her head on her chest.

 

“I told you they were.”

 

“I know. It's just that...I've never had to do the whole “meet the parents” thing and..”

 

“They're the first people we've been out in front of, I know.”

 

“Just, umm, what is-what exactly did you say to them about us, anyway? Like on the phone did you just..”

 

“I called them and said I was bringing the love of my life with me for a visit,” Amber looked down at her.

 

“You did not.”

 

“Well,” Amber relented, “Maybe not in those exact words, but I did tell them that I loved you and that we were together, against all odds.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“So tomorrow,” Amber bumped their noses together, “You should just not worry and be yourself, okay? Show them the girl I fell in love with.”

 

“Alright, alright, I'll try,” Luna said and Amber grinned, kissing the top of her head.

 

“Good.” She squeezed her tightly, her lips against her hair, “You know, if younger me knew I'd have a girl like you in bed like this-my gosh.”

 

“She’d flip?” Luna asked, trying her chance with some colloquial slang.


“Most definitely,” Amber smiled, eventually nodding off, not knowing she and Luna’d wake up in the middle of the night and be unable to fall back asleep thanks to a wonderful thing they call jetlag.


So this was essentially a ball of fluff, but I felt like after my recent post in my rated M Lunber series, a little fluff would do me good... I hope this wasn't boring or anything and uhh I guess I'll just see you guys soon.