Chapter 4

In Plain Sight

Close to two months had gone by since their last project and in their time apart, suspicions over Luna and Amber's relationship had died down. When Luna had met Krystal and Victoria for practice while Amber was away, everything seemed back to normal. They danced, talked a little, and that was their day.

 

Amber had finally come back from her solo projects in the States after being away for a month and she and Luna were in the practice room waiting for the others.

 

She was telling a story about her trip with Luna's hand resting on her arm. Almost reluctantly, she brushed it off while casting a wary glance at the door. Luna didn't seem to notice and moved so that it was resting on Amber's knee.

 

Amber internally groaned as she tried to continue her story, scooting away a few inches with Luna's hand refusing to budge. She was aimlessly drawing circles as she listened until Amber abruptly pulled away.

 

“Luna, you have to stop!” she sighed as she moved away.

 

“Stop what?” Luna asked, a confused expression on her face.

 

“Touching me! You can't-”

 

“Oh,” Luna suddenly realized, muttering sheepishly as she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, “Sorry, I forgot. I just missed you. A lot.”

 

She was looking like a sad puppy as with her eyes down and Amber held back a groan, automatically moving closer.

 

“God, you know I didn't mean it like that,” she said against Luna’s hair as she engulfed her in a hug, “I missed you, too. I just don't want to start anything again with them.”

 

“Well I think they've gotten over it,” She felt Luna chuckle against her as she pressed her face into her chest before adding, “You smell good, by the way.”

 

“Don't I always?” she laughed, “Come to my place later, okay?”

 

“Sure,” Luna muttered, pulling away just a time since Victoria walked in just a moment later. They practiced just like they used to and Amber felt like perhaps everything had just gone back to normal. The following day was another normal rehearsal, the last one before their performance, and all was well, that is, until they got into a fight.

 

It was the night before their show and they were having dinner at Amber’s apartment. She had been back for more than a day now, yet Luna was still stuck to her like glue.

 

After eating, she had settled herself into Amber's lap, mindlessly tracing her tattoos. She didn't mind the slightest bit, feeling comforted by her touch. She chuckled when she felt Luna start to nip at the side of her neck. “Already?”

 

Luna pushed her so that her head was against the armrest of the couch. “Want me to stop?” she muttered above Amber’s lips before bending to kiss her chastely.

 

“No, no, I'm good,” she said when Luna pulled away, hands on either side of her face. They both laughed and Amber felt her phone buzz in her pocket. Pulling it out, she made a face when the Caller ID read Jackson and answered the call.

 

“Hello?” she asked, scratching the back of Luna's head when laid against her.

 

“Hey you're at home, right? Come outside!”

 

“You're outside? Right now?” Amber questioned in surprise even though it wasn't the first time they'd just shown up.

 

“What? Who is it?’ Luna whispered.

 

Yeah, we're outside,” Jackson replied, “Want us to come up? Or will you meet us down here?

 

“I, uhh, I..” Amber stuttered as she thought of an answer, glancing at Luna who was rapidly mouthing for her to say no.

 

C’mon, we haven't seen you in ages,” he pleaded from the other line.

 

Amber sighed, stealing one last glance at Luna before shutting her eyes. “I, umm, I’ll see you in like five minutes, then.”

 

“What?” Luna exclaimed as Amber had just ended the call.

 

“It's Jackson and the guys. They're already outside,” Amber reasoned.

 

“So?”

 

“I can't just tell them to leave! Plus I haven't seen them in forever.”

 

“Why not?” Luna countered.

 

“Lu, I've already been with you for hours, now,” Amber tried to reason, freezing when she saw Luna's face fall.

 

“Why are you saying it like that? Do you not want to spend time with me?”

 

“That's not what I meant. You know what I'm trying to say,” Amber groaned.

 

“No, I don't, really. It sounds like you actually want to go out with them!”

 

“Well they're my friends! I don't want them to feel like I'm ignoring them! I've turned down their plans so many times now!”

 

“So what? What am I supposed to feel? And what am I supposed to do?”

 

“You could just stay here til I get back?” Amber slowly slid off the couch, unsurely adding, “Or you could come with..?”

 

Luna scoffed, her arms crossed against her chest as she leaned into the sofa.

 

“I don't see what the big deal is,” Amber muttered as she reached for her wallet.


When she came back to an empty apartment a few hours later, she realized that maybe perhaps it was a big deal.


In summary, Amber's a bit thick and doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings and Luna's kinda sensitive.