One Last Time

Fated
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*SHK’s POV*

 

I woke up early this morning despite sleeping really late last night. Thoughts kept boggling my mind as I tossed and turned, making it hard for me to sleep. I couldn’t help but feel anxious for this day. Today I’m meeting Joong Ki after a long time of not seeing him.

 

Did I make the right decision? Should I have said no? But, then, I didn’t really have a choice did I? I couldn’t say no. That’s what the deal’s all about.

 

“Let’s go on a trip,” he said and I was surprised.

 

“What?” I asked, shocked. Is he dreaming or something? Did he forget that we’re not supposed to be talking?

 

“Or would you rather we get married?” he asked, startling me that I almost spilled my coffee.

 

“Are you crazy?!” I demanded. Has he gone mad?

 

“I am. So, if you don’t want to get married, then go on a trip with me. For a day.”

 

“Give me one last day to be with you,” he said. “Allow me one day to be selfish.”

 

“One last day of pretense. One last day to be happy,” he added and I found myself speechless on the other side of the line.

 

“For one day, I want us to forget about everything that’s happening in our lives. For one day, let’s pretend that everything’s alright. For one last time, let’s pretend to be a real couple.”

 

“After this, I won’t bother you anymore. I will get out of your way. I will disappear from your life if you want me to. Say yes and I will let you go.”

 

His words continue to echo in my mind as I put on my makeup and get ready for today. We only spoke on the phone but I felt the urgency and sadness in his voice. Was he telling the truth when he said that he’d leave me alone? Did he really mean it when he said he won’t bother me anymore?

 

I should feel relieved, right? That’s what I wanted in the first place. But why do I feel sad? Why did I feel a slight pang in my chest upon hearing those words?

 

 

 

Stop overthinking, Hye Kyo. Stop analyzing things and just get ready. Get through this and you’ll be okay. Your life will finally be less complicated. But then…

 

How do I face him? Can I do this? Can I really spend 24 hours with him? I ask myself as I check my bedside clock on what time it is and use the remaining time that I have to re-check the contents of my bag.

 

You can do this Hye Kyo, you can do this.

--- 

*SJK’s POV*

 

I woke up early this morning to prepare for today. I don’t really know how to feel about this day. Should I feel ecstatic that I’m finally getting the chance to be with her again, to see her up close, to hear her voice, to see her laugh and to be beside her for a whole day? Or should I feel miserable because I promised her that after today, I will let her go?

I didn’t plan on telling her that, but I was nervous making that call that when I felt her hesitate, I instantly blurted it out, which both made me happy and saddened. Happy because she agreed to my plan. Sad because I have a feeling that she only agreed because of what I promised her.

 

Stop it, Joong Ki. Enough with those negative thoughts. What’s important now is that you cherish every single minute that you get to spend with her. Didn’t you say that it should be a day when you forget all the complications in your life? Didn’t you say that today should be a happy day?

 

After making sure that everything’s set, I close the door of the condo and make my way to the underground carpark. I’m about to unlock my car, thinking of the possible activities that we can do today when I hear someone call me name.

 

“Joong Ki!” some yells and I turn to see Jong Suk furiously making his way towards me.

 

“Jong Suk, when did you get baa…” I got to greet him a few seconds before his fist comes flying and hits my face and I stagger back.

 

“I warned you not to hurt her!” he shouts, rage reflected in his eyes.

 

“But I….”

 

“You know how much she’s been through! And yet you chose to do that?!! How dare you involve her with your stupid plan?!!” he says, shaking in anger. Jong Suk is usually calm in certain situations, so I’m surprised to see him this angry.

 

“She agreed to it. She said yes if I help her get Hae Jin back,” I try to reason out and he sends me another punch, sending me towards the floor. This time I taste blood in my mouth.

 

“And do you think that makes it acceptable? You jerk! I already told you that she’s like a sister to me, yet you chose to get her involved in all of these?! Don’t you at least respect me as your friend?! Are you that desperate to win the partnership that you chose to go behind my back?!” he says and I struggle to get up.

 

“Stay away from her! Don’t you come near her ever again!” he shouts, retreats to his car and drives away and I slowly pull myself together. I spot a bloody cut above my left eyebrow, which is starting to bruise slightly as I check my face in the car’s mirror. I wince as I dab a handkerchief on it to get rid of the blood, hoping that it wouldn’t swell. I should look good today, but then this happened.

 

Did you have to do that today, Jong Suk? Today of all days? Don’t worry, after today you won’t have to worry about me. I’ll stop causing her more problems. I’m going to stay as far from her as I could. Just like you, I only want what’s best for her.

--- 

*SHK’s POV*

“Prepare Appa’s favorite dish tomorrow, okay? And please remind him to take his medicines, if ever I’m still not here when he arrives,” I order Min Ji as I get ready to leave. My father has again went on a business trip to China and is due to arrive tomorrow. “Oh, and don’t hesitate to call me in case of emergencies,” I add and she nods while I make my way to the gate.

At exactly 7:00am, my phone received a message from Joong Ki, making my heart skip a beat. I’m still not used to receiving messages from him again.

Big Boss: I’m here. Take your time, I’ll just wait outside. J

It read and I instantly grabbed my bags and went down.

I open the gate and find him standing there, with his back facing me. He seems to sense some movement behind him and suddenly turns towards me with a smile on his face, making my heart beat faster.

“Good morning,” he says, approaching me with two cups of coffee in his hands. “Thought you might need this,” he adds, handing me one. I slowly look up to his face to thank him when I notice his bruised face and the wound above his eyebrow and my eyes widen.

“What happened?” I ask worriedly. Did someone beat him up? Did he get into an accident? But then, I notice that the car is free of scratch. “Why are you wounded?” I continue to ask and he only smiles at me. What is wrong with this guy? He’s already hurt but he smiles at me like he’s so happy.

“It’s nice to see you, too,” he jokingly says and I ignore him.

“Are you hurt elsewhere?” His face looks a bit swollen. What on earth happened to him?

“Here,” he says, taking my free hand and placing it above his chest.

“Ya! Stop joking!” I yell, smacking him. This is not the time for joking. He’s hurt. “Did you get beaten up by somebody? Tell me!”

“Stop worrying,” he says, looking at me. “I only fell from the bed.”

“Fell? From the bed?” I ask, giving him a face and not believing him.

“Just let it go. Today should be a happy day, right?” he just says and opens the door for me. “Get in,” he says with a smile and I sulkily take my seat. He won’t tell me, fine! I’ll stop asking.

“Where are we going?” I ask the moment he settles in his seat and I take a sip of coffee.

“You’ll see,” he smiles then starts the car. 

--- 

*SJK’s POV*

 

I drive quietly, stealing glances at the beautiful girl seated beside me from time to time, both happy and sad to have her with me at the moment. Happy because I missed her so much and now, I’m finally getting the chance to be with her for 24 hours. Sad since this might be the last time I get to do that. She, on the other hand, is busy listening to the music while watching the scene outside her window.

 

Wanting to cherish every second that we’re together, I slowly reach out for one of her hands, which are placed on her lap, surprising her, then slowly intertwine my fingers with hers.

 

“Couples do this, right?” I say as she looks at me questioningly then smile at the road, enjoying the feel of her soft hand in mine. I adjust my hand in hers, reveling at how perfectly her hand fits mine when I notice something.

 

“You’re still wearing this?” I ask, touching the engagement ring which is resting on her finger.

 

“Well, I just find it fitting to do so. We’re a couple today, right?” she says, smirking at me and I shake my head at her, but deep inside, I feel happy that she’s still wearing the ring I gave her. I hope she doesn’t stop wearing it.

 

Minutes fly by and I notice how silent the car has become despite the music playing in the background. I wonder what’s got her to be silent. The stop light turns to red and I risk a peak at her and smile. No wonder she’s silent, she’s already asleep. She must be tired.

 

I reach out to brush the hair that’s been covering her left eye when she stirs at the contact and grips my hand gently, unconsciously. Aigoo, it hasn’t even been an hour yet, but I’m already enjoying this.

 

---

 

*SHK’s POV*

 

I woke up to something gently nudging me. I groan, not liking that I’ve been awaken from a really good nap when someone laughs softly and I immediately open my eyes in alarm. I sit straight and look around, later on realizing that I’ve fallen asleep inside the car. Oh right. Joong Ki. I’m on a trip with Joong Ki.

 

“Hi,” he says and I turn to look at his smiling face. I don’t mind being woken up again and again if I get to see a handsome face like this every time. Wait, what are you thinking? Stop, it, Hye Kyo.

 

“Where are we?” I ask, trying to sound alert, but actually still feeling sleepy and he laughs again.

 

“Can’t you tell?” he asks and I look around, but I’m still groggy. “We’re in Yongin.”

 

 

 

“This doesn’t look like Yongin,” I say as I start getting my bag from the trunk of the car but he snatches it from me.

 

“It is. It’s just we’re at the less crowded part of Yongin,” he says, holding out a hand for me and I take it while he effortlessly carries our two overnight bags as if they don’t weigh anything.

 

He leads me to the lobby of a cozy yet elegant looking nature resort where a polite receptionist greets us. Moments later, we find ourselves being led to a cottage suite which reminds me of Serenity resort with its laidback and relaxing ambiance. I observe the interior, the white flooring matched with alternate white and earth-colored stone walls and gigantic oak beams, amazed at how everything looks so put together and even surprised that the cottage has a little kitchen where the guests can cook if they choose to do so. We then enter another room and I again start to admire the decorations when I notice one problem.

 

There’s only one bed. Joong Ki seems to notice this, too, as he turns to the staff.

 

“Uh, why is there only one bed? I ordered for two beds,” he says as the staff checks his notebook.

 

“Sir, it says here that you made reservations for a queen-sized bed,” the staff politely answers.

 

“No, no. I specifically said two beds. Can you check it again? Can we change rooms?” he says and the staff starts to make calls.

 

“Sir, the resort is fully booked. I’m afraid we don’t have any other rooms available for the night,” the staff answers, obviously looking stressed at the mishap. Joong Ki is about to argue again when I stop him and he looks at my hand at his arm.

 

“No, that’s okay. It’s fine with me,” I say and the staff exhales in relief. Joong Ki does look intimidating at times especially when he wants to.

 

“Are you sure?” he asks me, still not believing that I’m okay with it.

 

“Yes,” I say. Anyway, I don’t think Joong Ki is that kind of man who takes advantage any chance he gets. “You can go now,” I tell the staff and he bows down before hurriedly heading towards the door, but before he could go out, I follow him and request for something.

 

“You scared him,” I jokingly say at a still stunned Joong Ki, who is staring at the bed.

 

“Well, they did get my reservations wrong,” he says, trying to defend himself and I roll my eyes at him. “I’m sorry, I really didn’t mean this to happen.”

 

“It’s okay,” I say, trying to reassure him but he cuts me off.

 

“Don’t worry, I’ll just sleep on the couch,” he says and I’m about to argue when someone knocks on the door before entering.

 

“Ma’am,” the staff bows, handing me a first aid kit and I thank him.

 

“What’s that?” Joong Ki asks, staring at the box I’m carrying while I approach him.

 

“A first aid kit. We need to treat your wound,” I say matter-of-factly.

 

“You don’t need to. Really, I’m fine,” he protests and I sigh, placing the kit on a table and putting my hands on my hips.

 

“If you want this ‘let’s be a couple for a day’ thing to work, then you should let me do this. Let me take care of you,” I say and his eyes soften. Sensing his defeat, I start to open the kit and grab some cotton, an antiseptic, ice pack and bandages.

 

“Sit,” I order, gesturing to the chair next to the door that leads to the terrace, and he obediently follows. “Good boy,” I smile as he takes his seat and looks at me quietly.

 

I bend to inspect his cut first, which, thankfully isn’t deep, before dabbing the cotton with antiseptic on to it and he winces slightly.

 

“You okay?” I ask and he nods. I continue dabbing the cotton, trying to disinfect the wound, while I notice him tensing every time the cotton hits it. It must sting, but he doesn’t want to show it. Finally, I carefully place a bandage on it.

 

“There,” I say, inspecting my work. “How are you feeling?”

 

“Broken,” he answers and surprised, I turn to look at him, looking so vulnerable and sad at the moment. I try to ignore his answer and proceed to getting ice cubes from the fridge for the cold compress.

 

I place the ice pack on his left eye, which is starting to bruise and he sighs at the contact. His facial features start to relax and he keeps leaning his face towards the ice pack. Aigoo, such a baby.

 

“Aigoo, your face is starting to bruise. You’ll look like a an eggplant by tomorrow,” I joke and he pouts when I notice that he has a cut on his lips, too. Albeit a small one.

 

“Omo, there’s another one here. Let me treat it, too. Here, hold this,” I say, urging him to hold the ice pack on his eye while I grab my previous tools.

 

I start disinfecting the wound while he stares at me intensely, making my heart leap for a bit.

 

“Stop staring at me like that,” I say, trying to focus on my task.

 

“Why?”

 

“I can’t concentrate,” I say and he smiles. I feel my heart beating faster. Aigoo, why does he have to tease me always?

 

“I can’t help it. My nurse looks so pretty so close to me like this,” he says and I again try to ignore him.

 

“There, all done,” I say the moment I’m sure that there are no others wounds left untreated. I gather everything except the ice pack then neatly place them inside the box. I close the kit and see him staring, looking so pitiful with his bruised face and a bandage above his brow. I take a few steps forward then take a seat on the bed facing him.

 

“What really happened?” I ask him, no longer able to contain my curiosity and concern.

 

“It doesn’t matter,” he says and I ignore his answer.

 

“Did someone beat you up? Tell me,” I say, determined to know what really happened. “And don’t give me that I fell from the bed excuse because it’s lame,” I add and he smiles.

 

“Aigoo, you really don’t stop, do you?” he asks, shaking his head at me.

 

“I always get what I want,” I smugly say. “So, spill.”

 

“I can never win against you,” he sighs and looks at me. “Yes.”

 

“What? Jinjja? Who did it?” I ask, my eyes widening. So, I was right. Someone did beat him up. I wonder who and why.

 

“It doesn’t matter. I deserve it,” he quietly says. What is he talking about? Did he just voluntarily submit himself to get beaten up? Didn’t he fight back?

 

“But…”

 

“Please, Hye Kyo. Just let it go,” he pleads and I stop from protesting. “Let’s just be happy today. Okay?” he says and I nod, sensing that he really wants me to let it go.

 

“Okay,” I say.

 

“Thanks,” he smiles. “So, brunch? I’m starving.”

--- 

 

*SJK’s POV*

 

I sigh contentedly as I walk hand in hand with the girl I love in the streets of Yongin. From a far, I bet we look like a real couple who’s out on a date, little do the others know the reason why we’re together today.

 

Luckily, it isn’t too cold and we get to enjoy the day today. We just had shabu shabu for brunch and we’re still so full that we decided to take a walk before going back to the car. I don’t really mind what we’d do today for as long as I’m with her. Heck, we can even just sit around all day and I’ll still cherish it. That’s how desperate I am to spend time with her.

 

“Wow, it’s so nice here. Not-too-noisy, not-too-busy. I didn’t know this side of Yongin exists,” she says, smiling then looks at me. “You really do know the best places, huh?” she adds, narrowing her eyes at me playfully.

 

“Of course,” I smile at her then look at our entwined hands. “I want you to have the best time.”

 

“I bet you say that to a lot of girls,” she says and I stop from walking, making her look at me, confused.

 

“You know that’s not true,” I say, taking a step towards her to whisper in her ear. “I only have my eyes on you,” I say and I hear her gasp, eliciting me to smile.

 

 Still grinning widely at her stunned reaction, and being frozen in place, I tug at her hand and urge her to walk. I’m still staring at her when again stops walking, her eyes widen and she smiles excited.

 

“Look,” she says, pointing to a group of teenagers riding their bikes leisurely while the others show their bicycle-riding skills with an exhibition. They are quite good, actually and she’s enjoying this. I watch her watching them riding in circles and an idea forms in my mind. I pull her towards where the teenagers are while she resists.

 

“Wait, what are you doing?” she asks worriedly.

 

“We’re going to join them,” I say, matter-of-factly. This is going to be fun.

 

“Shiro! I don’t want to,” she says, protesting and I look at her, confused. Didn’t I see her watching them happily?

 

“Wae?”

 

“Just because. Come on, let’s go somewhere else,” she says, trying to drag me away and I laugh softly at how adorable she looks. Does she really think she can drag me with that petite figure of hers? Cute.

 

“No,” I say and she frowns at me. “Tell me the reason, first,” I add and she huffs. “You won’t tell me? Alright. We’re joining them, then.” I start walking towards the biking area, dragging her along while she continues to protest. She starts hitting my back then, it only feels like she’s massaging me and I stop to look at her.

 

“I-I don’t know how to ride a bike,” she hesitates. What?

 

“What? Jinjja? Why not?” I ask, still surprised of her revelation. Finally, something Song Hye Kyo can’t do. I was starting to think she knows almost everything.

 

“I just don’t. My father didn’t have time to teach me when I was a kid, and I was too scared to do it on my own,” she says, looking down, embarrassed. “Can we go now?” she asks and starts dragging me away again, but I stand my ground. She looks at me, confused as to why I’m still not moving.

 

“I’ll teach you,” I say and she looks at me, surprised. “I’ll teach you how to ride a bike.”

 

“No, I don’t want to. Let’s just leave,” she says, putting all her effort to pull me along with her.

 

“We’re down to the last dare. Do you want us to have another round?” I ask and she stops struggling. “Stop being scared, Hye Kyo.”

 

“But.. but what if I get hurt? And am I not too old to be learning how to ride a bike? What if I don’t learn at all?”

 

“You’re never too old to learn things,” I say, caressing her worried face with my free hand. “And besides, I’ll catch you when you fall. I won’t let you get hurt,” I add and she finally smiles. Before she could even change her mind, I pull her with me and approached a kid who looks 16-years of age.

 

“Hi, man,” I say and the kid looks up at me from where he sits. “Mind if I rent your bike for a while? I’m just going to take this beautiful lady for a stroll,” I smile at him while he starts to stand.

 

“I know you. You’re that cool guy I’ve read in the newspaper,” he says and I look at him, confused. Newspaper? “The one who scored a deal with that huge company. And I’ve heard about your achievements in business cool. Wow.”

 

“Oh. Trust me, I’m not that impressive. I’m Joong Ki, and this is Hye Kyo,” I say, gesturing towards her and Hye Kyo smiles at the kid. “And you are?”

 

“I’m Jin Gu,” he says, extending a hand and I shake it. “Wow, it’s such an honor to meet you. I’ve been reading about you for years.”

 

“It’s nice to meet you, too. So, can we borrow your bike?” I ask, still a bit stunned at what he told me.

 

“Sure, sir. Borrow it for as long as you want. I’ll just be there,” he says, gesturing to a refreshment stand. “I help my mom.”

 

“Okay, thanks. Jin Gu,” I say then take the bike and lead Hye Kyo to the crowded part of the park.

 

---                                                                                                                        

*SHK’s POV*

 

I can’t believe I agreed to what he was planning again. I can’t ride a bike, no. Just no.

 

“Here,” he says, adjusting the straps of the helmet and making sure I’m comfortable. He then helps me get on the bike carefully. “Just pedal slowly. Don’t worry, I’ll hold you,” he says, positioning one of his hands at the back of the bike, while he holds the handle with another. “Ready?” he asks and I nod, not having any other choice. Let’s just get this done and over with.

 

“Pedal,” he says as we start moving, and after a few minutes I start getting comfortable.

 

“Just relax. Keep your knees and elbows loose,” he orders and I follow. Hmm, this doesn’t feel so bad. He patiently holds me and the bike while I continue to get myself acquainted to coasting with the bike.

 

He sees me smiling and actually enjoying the moment and he starts smiling, too.

 

“See, not too bad, isn’t it?” he asks and I breathe a yes, still looking straight. “Do you think you could manage on your own?” he asks and I look at him worriedly.

 

“What? Joong Ki…” I start to blabber anxiously.

 

“You can do, it. Hye Kyo. Just, continue what we’re doing now,” he reassuringly says and I feel my worries start to dissipate.

 

“Okay…” I say and he smiles at me.

 

“Don’t be scared. I’ll just be here,” he says and we continue moving. “Okay, ready. I’m letting go, now. Just relax,” he says and I continue concentrating on balancing and pedaling. Wait, did he already let go? Or is he still holding me?

 

I want to look back and check, but I’m hesitant to do so.

 

“Keep going, Hye Kyo. You’re doing great,” he says from afar. So he did, let go. I’m doing this on my own. I laugh softly at my little accomplishment, and continue biking.

 

“Look, Joong Ki. I’m really doing, this,” I say happily and he laughs with me.

 

“Yes, you are. I told you!” he shouts. I keep going around in circles, enjoying the moment when suddenly another bike comes whooshing past me, distracting me and I lose balance. I drop to the ground with a soft thud and Joong Ki hurriedly rushes towards me.

 

“Are you okay?” he asks, panic evident in his eyes and I nod.

 

“I’m fine,” I say as he helps get the bike off of me.

 

“Are you sure? Are you hurt?” he continues asking and I notice that he looks like he’s about to cry. “This was a stupid idea. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have forced you to do this. I shouldn’t have let you get hurt.”

 

“Joong Ki,” I say, stopping him. “I’m fine. Stop worrying. Really. I’m okay,” I add and he still doesn’t look convinced. “Help me stand up,” I say and he looks at me, still wanting to argue, but I give him my best aegyo look that I know he couldn’t resist. “Please?”

 

He finally obliges, stands up and helps me stand, too, taking the helmet off right after. We’re about to start walking when I wince and he immediately dotes on me. “I knew it,” he says worriedly, putting the helmet down while my right knee starts to ache. I must’ve scratched it when I fell.

 

“Where does it hurt?” he asks and he looks as if he’s the one who got injured.

 

“Right knee. Don’t worry, it’s just a scratch, I bet,” I say but that doesn’t convince him. “Come on, stop looking at me like I’m lying on my death bed. Let’s go,” I say, wincing again the moment I feel the wound rub against my leggings. Well, it does sting a bit.

 

I’m about to take another step, determined to just ignore the pain when he suddenly kneels in front of me, with his back facing me, startling me.

 

“W-what are you doing?” I ask, surprised at his sudden action.

 

“I’ll carry you,” he says, turning to look at me and I give him a face. What? “Come on. Stop hiding it. I know it hurts.”

 

“It doesn’t hurt that much. I can walk,” I try to reason out. Well, walking might be a bit difficult, but still..

 

“Stop arguing. I can’t stand seeing you hurt. Just hop unto my back. Please,” he says with a pleading look and I couldn’t help but just agree. I slowly and cautiously wrap my arms around his neck and legs above his waist as he slowly stands and holds them in place.

 

“What about the bike?” I ask as he starts walking and giving me a piggyback ride.

 

“I’ll just get back to it,” he says, gently smiling at me and I relax. I lean my head against his back, inhaling his manly scent (oh, he smells really nice) as he carries me effortlessly, around the park, passing through children playing and couples enjoying their day out. It would’ve been a perfect moment if not for my throbbing knee, but still, it feels perfect.

 

We finally get to the car and he slowly lets me get off of him and helps me inside.

 

“Wait here,” he says, running towards where we’ve been and a few minutes later, I see him emerge with both the bike and helmet and hands it to Jin Gu. From afar, I could see that they’re exchanging a few words and I wonder what they’re talking about. Jin Gu suddenly disappears to the stand and later on reappears with a box which he hands to Joong Ki who thanks him and makes him way towards me.

 

As he approaches, I realize that he’s carrying a first aid kit. Oh boy, I thought this was supposed to be a stress free day, why are we suddenly getting injured?

 

 

 

“Uh, I can do it myself,” I say as he opens the box.

 

“I know, but I want to do it for you,” he says and he actually looks so charming at the moment that I don’t dare refuse. “Uh, can I?” he gestures to my leggings and I nod. Luckily I wore a stretchy pair which cuts above my boots and not jeans. That would’ve been hard in this situation. He slowly folds it above my knees, revealing angry red marks beneath it.

 

I watch as he kneels in front of me, outside the car and keeps his eyes on my wound, concentrating on treating it. He looks really good when he’s focused like that, I start to think, but then I notice his expression. He really does look as if he’s the one in pain and not me. I almost don’t feel anything at all given how gentle he is when dabbing the cotton with antiseptic. He finally places a gauze pad above it and secures it with a plaster then looks up at me.

 

“Thanks,” I say, but his eyes look sad and worried.

 

“What’s wrong?” I ask and he continues to look in pain.

 

“I promised you I would catch you. That I wouldn’t let you get hurt,” he says quietly while looking down. “But I failed.”

 

“Joong Ki…” So that’s why he’s looking like that. He’s blaming himself.

 

“It was a stupid idea. I didn’t think about it thoroughly and now you’re hurt. It’s all my fault. I’m sorry,” he says, his voice remorseful.

 

“Joong Ki..”

 

“I was only meters away from you, but I couldn’t even protect you. I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have…”

 

“Joong Ki,” I say, raising my voice now and I catch his attention. I cup his face with both of my hands, urging him to look at me. “Stop blaming yourself. Okay? It wasn’t your fault.”

 

“And I’m actually glad you urged me to do this. I was actually enjoying,” I say and he looks surprised.

 

“You were?” he asks and I nod, smiling at him.

 

“Yes. So, please. Stop blaming yourself and let’s just have fun, okay?”

 

“Okay,” he answers hesitantly then stands, after a few seconds, to go back to the refreshment stand and return the kit to Jin Gu. I watch as the two guys converse and he offers Jin Gu something but the latter refuses. From a far, they look like brothers having a great conversation. It’s nice seeing Joong Ki like that. He was actually surprised when Jin Gu expressed his open admiration to him earlier, like he couldn’t believe that someone would like him. Aigoo, he really underestimates himself sometimes.

 

After a while, he then pats Jin Gu’s back and heads back to the car.

 

“So, where to next?” I ask the moment he takes his seat and adjusts his seatbelt.

 

“Resort,” he says. “I think you need to rest.”

 

“What? Already?” I ask, not believing this. He brought me all the way here just to rest?

 

“But you’re injured….”

 

“I am not THAT injured. Aigoo, you are such a bore,” I narrow my eyes at him. No way are we wasting the day just because of this little scratch. “Ah, I know!” I exclaim as an idea hits me. “Since we’re already here, let’s go somewhere fun,” I say and he looks at me, looking interested. Finally.

 

“And where’s that somewhere fun you’re speaking of?”

 

“Everland! Let’s go to everland!” I say excitedly, almost jumping in my seat like a little kid. I have always loved that place and since we’re already here, I figured we might as well go there. 

 

“How did you know that’s where I was planning on taking you?” he asks, surprised. Really? He was planning on taking me there?

 

“I didn’t. I just figured that since we’re in Yongin…” I say. “Wait, did you just say you were planning on us going there?”

 

“Well, I was, but then I wasn’t sure if you’d be up for it…” he trails off when he sees my hopeful expression. “Uh, are you still okay with going there? I mean…” he gestures to my knee.

 

“Of course I can,” I say as if that should be a given. “Stop treating me like I’m an invalid. It’s only a scratch.” I’m Song Hye Kyo. I can very well manage myself. “And besides, the last time I’ve been there was years ago. And I heard there are a lot of new things to explore there…”

 

“But…”

 

“I really want to see them. So, please? Can we please go there?” I plead, holding unto his arm, surprising him with the action, but I don’t dare stop. “Please Joong Ki? Please….”

 

“F-fine,” he says, stuttering and I smile widely as I return to my seat, feeling victorious. Yes!

 

“But you have to get changed, first,” he says indicating my slightly-scratched leggings. “And you need to wear a coat. It’s getting cold,” he adds and I let go of his arm. Fine by me.

 

“Fine,” I say, perfectly okay with changing. After all, I need to bring my camera with me. “So, game?”

 

“Game,” he says with an exaggerated sigh. Yes, Joong Ki. You don’t have any other choice but to give in to me.

 

“I knew it, I know you can’t resist me,” I , still feeling triumphant and he shakes his head at me.

 

“You’re lucky I love you,” he quips quietly as he starts the car and I turn to him, shocked. What on…. what did he just say?

 

“W-what did you say?” I ask, taken aback. Did I hear it right? Did he just say….

 

“Nothing, I was just saying how ‘irresistible’ you are” he says, smiling like he knows something I don’t know, while I sit there, wondering if I again just heard it wrong and made that up in my head or… Ugh, forget it. My ears are playing tricks on me again. Weird.

 

---

 

*SJK’s POV*

 

I park the car the moment we arrive at the resort and help her get down. She’s still limping a bit, but she tries to hide it. She must really want to go to the theme park. Yes, I initially planned on taking her there, but then had second thoughts since I’m not sure if it’s something she would like, she usually just prefers relaxing and quiet places. Plus the bike incident happened, which made me think that she might not be up for something that requires much walking, but this woman never fails to surprise me.

 

We reach our cottage and I open the door for her while she goes inside then rummages through her bag and grab some clothes. While I wait for her to change in the bathroom, I check my phone for updates sent by Min Suk about work and some messages from my mom, asking me to join them for lunch the next time. Well, I don’t think that would be possible. I don’t want intend to face my father any time soon.

 

“I’m done,” Hye Kyo says emerging from the bathroom and I look up to see her trading her oversized shirt and leggings outfit for a long sleeved striped shirt, tights and boots, with a coat on hand. “Are you going to change, too?” she asks and I shake my head.

 

“No, but I think I need to do some freshening up, too,” I say, smiling at her while she shoots me a confused look before heading to the bathroom. I close the door behind me and turn on the faucet, splashing water on my face. With my face still wet, I turn to look at my reflection in the mirror.

 

I couldn’t help but feel happy of how this morning went. Before we met up, I wasn’t sure how this day would turn out to be. I was expecting that she might not take this dare too well. I was worried that she’d act cold to me all day given that I only forced her to take this trip with me, but no. She was being her usual chatty, charming self during brunch, which I very much enjoyed because I missed having her around too much. It was refreshing to hear her voice again, to watch her smile at me, to hold her soft hands in mine.

 

Then there’s Jin Gu. I didn’t expect to meet someone like him today. I especially didn’t expect someone like him to look up to me. Determined to prove his worth to the world. Hopeful for a bright future ahead of him. I kind of see my younger self in him in some ways.

 

I returned the first aid kid and fished some money out of my wallet to pay for the bike rental, but he refused, telling me that it wasn’t necessary even when I insisted to pay.

 

“I want to be just like you when I grow up,” he said, beaming at me and I shake my head.

 

“No,” I said and his face fell. “Be better,” I smiled at him and gave him my calling card, which surprised him. “Call me when you enter business school, or if ever you need anything,” I said, ruffling his hair. I’ve never had a younger brother, but if ever I did have one, I would’ve wanted it to be someone like him.

 

I emerge from the bathroom to see her sitting down on the bed, facing her phone, which is lighting up. From afar, I could tell that she’s hesitating to answer a call. I slowly make way towards her and she turns to me.

 

“Let’s go?” she asks, standing up and I look at her, confused.

 

“Aren’t you going to answer that call?” I ask, gesturing to her phone, which is still lighting up. She sees me staring at it and she turns it off, startling me. “Why’d you do that? What if…”

 

“It’s not important,” she says as she starts towards the door and I follow her. 

--- 

---

 

A few minutes later, we arrive at the park. The moment we get our tickets, she excitedly drags me inside, smiling happily. She looks so adorable and beautiful at that moment that I can’t help but be mesmerized. It’s her smile that’s one of the things I love best about her. Her smile is like a drug that can make you feel light and energized just by seeing it. It’s like everything in the world’s alright when she smiles.

 

It’s just sad that it’s my last chance to savor moments like this, to see this happy up close. After today, that smile wouldn’t be directed towards me anymore. After today, I could only observe her from a distance.

 

“Stop staring at me like that,” she says, interrupting me from my thoughts.

 

“Like what?” I ask, not knowing what she’s talking about.

 

“Like I’m going to disappear right here and now,” she tells me and my face falls. Was I that obvious? Did my fear of what’s going to happen after this show?

 

“Hey,” she says, trying to comfort me, genuine concern reflected in her eyes. “What’s wrong? I thought this was supposed to be a happy day, but you’ve been looking sad all this time. Am I that bad of a companion?” she jokes, trying to lighten up the situation and I force a smile, not wanting to spoil the day for her. She’s right. This is supposed to be a happy day, but here I am, getting carried away by my negative thoughts again.

 

“Nothing,” I say quietly, not really wanting to tell her what’s wrong. It will only ruin this supposedly happy day. It will only ruin everything.

 

“And no, I love having you here, it’s just that… Never mind,” I add, not wanting her to think that she’s the problem, when she’s actually not. It’s me. It’s me who’s letting my anxious thoughts get to me.

 

No, stop it, Joong Ki. Didn’t you promise to make her happy today? To make sure that you make the most out of the moment? Your last moments together? Savor this moment while you can, Joong Ki. Because after this, you can only dream. After this, she would be out of your reach.

 

“You’re right, we should be happy today,” I say, “after all, we’re already here, right? And this is supposed to be the happiest place on earth,” I add, plastering a smile on my face and she smiles. Oh God, I love that smile so much.

 

“That’s Disneyland you’re referring to,” she laughs and I cover my face with my hands, embarrassed of my mistake.

 

“Nonetheless, of course, we should be happy,” she says. “So, shall we?” she asks, extending her hand, waiting for me to take it while she sweetly smiles at me. Yes, tomorrow might be scary, but I know that her looking at me like this, smiling at me like she’s happy to be with me today is enough to give me the courage to face it. I might not be able to be with her when this 24-hour dare ends, but I’d still gladly observe from the background if it means I get to see her as happy and as carefree as this.

 

That’s what they say about love, right? That when you love someone, you’d always want them to be happy. Even if their happiness means that you have to let them go, and walk away.

 

She continues to smile at me beautifully as I try to accept the fate that’s waiting for me.

 

Everything for you, Hye Kyo. I’ll do everything for you.

 

I take one last look at the woman I love while imagining for the last time what could’ve been my future with her if things weren’t as complicated as they are right now.

 

My heart is yours for the taking, Hye Kyo. I’ll break myself for you.

 

Finally, after convincing myself to let go of my selfish ambition to have her for myself, I take one step towards her and smile. You are worth it.

 

I take her hand, she takes my heart.

--- 

*SHK’s POV*

 

He’s still wearing that dejected expression he’s been sporting since the moment he fetched me. I don’t know if he’s aware, but I know that he’s been looking at me like that all day. I don’t know what got into me, but seeing him that sad tugs at my heartstrings. Even though things got a bit complicated between us lately, I still can’t help but care about him.

 

Not wanting to see him that down anymore, I drag him towards the entrance of the theme park, making it my mission to make him smile and laugh as much as I can today. We take in everything around us first, from the European architectural styles, with Russian spires placed across from Italian bell towers to the excited tourists around us. This is just what both of us need, a relaxing yet exciting break from our complex and busy lives. Maybe that’s one of the reasons why I agreed to take this dare, to have a moment to forget everything for a while. A stress-free day when we can temporarily forget about reality and just have fun.

 

I take pictures of the beautiful flowers, which are almost everywhere, while Joong Ki observes the surroundings. The cute animal headbands sold at the corner then grab my attention and I drag Joong Ki there to pick one and put it on, making him laugh softly. I pick another and attempt to put it on him but he dodges my hands and runs away.

 

“No way,” he says. “No freaking way,” he holds out both hands to block me and I laugh, finding the prospect of a manly Joong Ki wearing a girly headband funny.

 

“Waeyo? They’re cute!”

 

“They’re for girls…”

 

“And so? You can wear it, too. You’d look cute in it. Please?”

 

“No. Not a chance,” he says, strongly protesting.

 

“Fine! You’re no fun,” I say as I pay for mine and he sighs in relief.

 

After my failed attempt to get him to wear the headband, we then take a cable care to zootopia where we get to see different type of animals. I find myself enjoying, amazed by the cute animals we get to see while Joong Ki seems to be having fun, too. To see the wild animals up close, we opt for a safari bus ride where we get to interact with tigers and bears doing their stunts.

 

After our encounter with the animals, we pass by the pirate ship, which works like a sea dragon ride, and I try my best to distract him, but fail. Sensing my hesitation, he smiles at me mischievously before dragging me towards it.

 

“No!!! I don’t want to!” I strongly protest. Not a chance. No, I have a faint heart for those kinds of rides. No.

 

“But it’ll be fun,” he says pouting at me and giving me his best puppy look, but no. That won’t work on me right now. No. Just no.

 

“Aigoo, you know the rules, Hye Kyo. You can’t say no,” he says and I open my mouth to protest further, but he continues. “Or would you rather I carry you in?”

 

“Please. Not that. Anything, just not that,” I plead, trying to convince him. I’d do anything, just not that. “Please, Joong Ki? Pleaaaasssseee?”

 

“Fine! Fine!” he sulks, giving up, seeming to sense that there’s no way I’m letting him drag me into that. “Let’s try that one instead,” he says, pointing to the T-Express, which is South Korea's highest, fastest, longest, steepest (wooden) roller coaster. Oh no. Not that one, too.

 

“Joong Ki!!!!”

 

“What? I already let you pass with the Pirate ship ride,” he says, taking me by the hand but I don’t move. “Come on, it’s going to be fun. And I promise you, this time I’ll hold your hand,” he says, intertwining his hand with mine and my eyes follow the movement. 

 

“Promise?” I ask, starting to get really nervous and he looks at me in the eyes.

 

“I promise,” he says and he smiles at me then leads me towards the ride to hell. Oh boy, what have I gotten myself into?

 

 

I find myself smacking a laughing Joong Ki after the ride. Fun apparently meant me getting dizzy and closing my eyes almost the whole duration of the ride. But he did keep his promise, he held my hand the whole time, even lending me his shoulder to bury my face into when I was too scared to look around me, while he was having too much fun. After much convincing, he finally got me to open my eyes halfway throughout the ride and actually enjoy the remaining time.

 

Okay, fine, so I did have fun, but still, I wasn’t really that delighted with taking that ride.

 

“Are you okay?” he asks, and I glare at him. How does he still have the guts to ask me that when he’s the one responsible for this and even laughed at me? I turn my back on him, still annoyed and he sighs.

 

“Are you mad?” he asks. “I’m sorry, it’s just that you look so…” I cut him off with another glare.

 

“Okay, okay,” he says, then stands from where he was sitting and kneels in front of me. “I’m really sorry. Please don’t get mad,” he says and I ignore him then he takes my hands and holds them. That catches my attention. But no, I shouldn’t give in. Nope. I’m not that easy. After he put me through? No way.

 

Just when I’m determined to keep a straight face and act indifferent, he does the unexpected and smacks his face using my hands, shocking me.

 

“What are you doing?! You’re hurting yourself,” I ask him, pulling my hands away.

 

“It’s okay. That can be your revenge on me if that makes you feel better,” he says as if it’s perfectly normal to take other people’s hands and smack your face with them.

 

“Are you crazy?!” Did that ride somehow affect his sanity? Well, it was pretty intense.

 

“Crazy for you,” he says and I start to stand, annoyed. There he goes again with his jokes and I’m not in the mood to laugh. I’m about to walk away when he stops me.  “I’m truly sorry,” he apologizes again, now staring at me in the eyes and I could tell that he really is sorry. “Forgive me?”

 

“No.” I say stubbornly. I’m still not letting him off that easily.

 

“Please?”

 

“No.”

 

“What should I do to be forgiven?” he asks, desperate and I cross my arms over my chest. “I’ll buy you ice cream,” he offers and I give him a face. What am I? A kid who’s easily bribed by ice cream?

 

“Hmm, sugar?” he tries again and I roll my eyes.

 

“What about I let you pick the next ride?” he says ad I raise a brow at him. Really? Go on, mister.

 

“Fine! I’ll even let you put that girly headband on me,” he says, surrendering and I almost want to high-five myself. Yup, that got me.

 

“Jinjja?” I ask, still not believing him.

 

“Yes!” he says, no longer having a choice.

 

“You won’t take it off?” I ask to make sure he’s serious and he shakes his head, defeated. Woohoo! Hye Kyo = 1, Joong Ki = 0.

 

Smiling broadly, I take the headband off of my head then place it on him, adjusting his hair a bit.

 

“There,” I say, admiring my work of art while he frowns at me. But well, he asked for this. He continues sulking while I take a few pictures of him and a few of us together.

 

“Awww. See? You look cute.” He huffs as if this is the last thing he’d want to do and I laugh. He just looks too adorable sulking like a little boy. I continue laughing, clutching my stomach, until I feel the dizziness come back.

 

“What’s wrong?” he asks as I stop from laughing. “You look pale.”

 

“I’m okay. Just dizzy,” I say and he helps me sit down.

 

“Do you need anything?” he asks, concerned and I try to shake my head but it only makes me dizzier. Ugh. This is so annoying. I want to lean my head on something while I pray for the dizziness to fade, but the bench is just too short, stopping a few inches below my shoulders. Having no other choice, I prop my face against my hands, instead.

 

He must’ve sensed my discomfort that stands beside me. He takes my face from my hands and carefully positions the side of my head against his abdomen.

 

“Lean against me,” he offers and feeling too

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter