It begins

Fated
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*SHK's POV*

"So, how do you know much about rings, anyway?" he asks, breaking me from my reverie. "Tell me, this isn't meant to offend or judge you, but you're one of those who like to buy a lot of jewelries, aren't you? You seem to really know how to critic one."

"I don't like to buy jewelries," I say. "I like making them." He looks at me, surprised.

"Necklaces, rings, bracelets. They fascinate me. They look fancy and they sparkle like stars. I love imagining patterns and designs in my head then turning them into real life objects, later on," I turn my head and see him patiently listening.

"You know, when I was little, I even dreamed of taking a course in jewerly design," I smile at the memory.

"Why didn't you?" he asks.

"I had to follow my father's steps and manage our business," I say and he seems to consider this. "Instead, I made this a hobby. From time to time, a design would pop into my head and I would feel the urge to draw it. Those are the only times that I would allow myself to get engrossed with my passion. Oh look! A shooting star!" I say pointing towards the sky. "Make a wish!" I urge him and after hesitating for a bit, he closes his eyes. I, too, close mine and make my wish.

I wish that someday, I'll finally find it in me to be happy again.

I open my eyes and see that he's already staring at me. I look away, feeling shy. 

"So, what did you wish for?" he asks.

"It's a secret," I answer. "What about you?"

"That what you wished for would come true," he simply said and I blush.

"What if it won't? What makes you so sure that it would come true. It's only a wish, afterall. The stars don't guarantee it coming true" I challenge him

"It will. They always listen," he says and I'm taken aback. 

"W-what did you say?" I ask and he looks at me. The stars are our friends, they always listen. 

He is about to answer when his phone rings. I nod at him to answer it, still dazed.

"Yeoboseyo? Yes, sir. Yes, she's with me," he says to the caller. I look at him closely

Could it be him? Can he be.. No it can't be. Impossible. I shake my head to get rid of my thoughts. It's just plain coincidence that he said that. Afterall, people usually say things like that, don't they?

"Yes, yes. Okay, sir. I'll take her home. Yes. No problem. Okay," he says as he hangs up.

"That was your father. We probably should.." he starts and I nod.

"Let's go," I say standing up, while patting the sand away from my gown. We walk silently towards his car, my heels slightly burying themselves on the sand with each step, making it hard for me to walk. 

"Need help?" he asks as he offers me a hand.

"Nope. I can manage," I say stubbornly and continue struggling. This is death by heels. He shakes his head as he watches me then lets me go.

"Typical Hye Kyo, typical."

----

 

*SJK's POV*

We head home in comfortable silence. She seems to be contented watching the view outside the window and I'm contented stealing glances at her. After a few minutes, I find her breathing evenly, sleeping with her pink lips slightly open. She looks so beautiful even when asleep. So innocent. So peaceful So vulnerable. How could a person like her get hurt so much? How could a person like that Hae Jin guy leave her like that? I find myself getting angry for no reason. He doesn't deserve her, she loves him, so that doesn't exactly leave me with much choice. I need to stick with our agreement and that is to get him back. 

I look at her sleeping form and notice a crease forming in between her brows. Even when she's asleep, she's sad. I want to wipe that frown away, but then I stop myself. I need to focus on driving, but how could I when a beautiful girl is asleep beside me in the car? I drive towards the direction of their house her father gave me. That man really does love his daughter, it was evident in his voice how worried he was about her. 

I enter their exclusive subdivision and park my car in front of a white 2-storey mansion. This must be their house. It's big yet cozy. Simple yet beautiful, just like one of its inhabitants. I gently shake Hye Kyo to wake her up.

"Hye Kyo-sshi," I say softly so as not to startle her. "Hye Kyo-ssi, we're here."

Her long eyelashes flutter and she opens her eyes slowly. For a while she looks lost, looking around, but then, she seems to realize where she is and collects herself.

"I fell asleep," she mumbles and I smile. She looks cute, looking a little lost, like that.

"Oh yes you did, did I really bore you that much?" I tease.

"Stop teasing me, I just woke up" she says. "What time is it?"

I look at my wristwatch and answer "It's almost 3am." She groans.

"How did you know where I live anyway?"

"Your father gave me your address. He told me to take you home safely," I answer and she nods, still looking a bit sleepy.

"You know, we're already engaged and I still don't know your number," I say, suddenly remembering.

"Is that you way of getting my number?" she asks simply.

"Well, uh.." I do not know what to say.

"Give me your phone," she says and I'm surprised. When I'm still not moving, she looks at me and raises her eyebrow. "Phone, please" I struggle to get my iPhone out of my pocket. I watch as she expertly saves her number and hands my phone back.

"What did you put as your contact name?" I ask, not finding her name in my contacts list.

"It's for you to find out," she smiles and starts to get out of the car. I hurriedly go out to help her and she shrugs out of my coat and hands it to me.

"Keep it, you might get cold" I say and she gives me a funny expression. "Don't really need it anymore, seeing that I'm already outside my house," she answers. Oh her smartmouth. 

"So, I guess I'll head inside," she says and I awkwardly nod, not knowing what to do in this situation. Should I shake her hands? Kiss her on the cheek? She's my fiancee, afterall. Before I can do anything, she starts walking to her gate leaving me watching her. I am about to get inside the car when she turns back and calls me. 

"Joong Ki-ssi" I stop moving and look at her.

"Thanks for staying with me tonight. I really appreciate it," she gives me a final smile and goes inside.

Any time, Hye Kyo-ssi. Any time.

I put on my seatbelt and am about to start the car when I remember something. I grab my phone and scroll down my contact list for the second time tonight. I am about to doubt if she really did save her number when I find it, on top of my contacts. I smile as I read what name she keyed into my phone.

Beauty.

---

 

I yawn as I study the documents in front of me, 10 minutes more and I'm off. I only had about 2 hours of sleep last night, but I don't regret it. I draped my coat on the chair and crashed my bed the moment I got home, not even bothering to take my shoes off. I was so tired, but also kind of happy. I don't know if that has something to do with me finally getting a chance to prove my worth to App or if it's because of a person named Song Hye Kyo. I'm betting it's the latter. 

My phone chimes, signaling a text from Chulhwa which reads, "Dude, you game for tonight?"

"Always. See ya" I reply.

I'm meeting with my friends tonight, it's Bo Gum's birthday and we are planning to go out and celebrate. I'm guessing that celebration is more of a drinking party than an actual meal. I wonder what Hye Kyo's doing? I scroll down my contact list and stare are her name. Beauty. How appropriate. I smile thinking about what happened last night. I was really worried when I thought I lost my mother's ring. I was so annoyed at Hye Kyo for throwing it without warning, but then when I glimpsed at her laughing I felt my annoyance fade away. How could I stay angry when she was laughing like that? But still, I had to make it seem like I was still annoyed, for the sake of my ego.

I am contemplating whether to call her or not when my door opens and Kwang Soo enters.

"Yo, man, 'sup?" he laughs. What is up with him? Why is he trying to look cool?

"What are you doing here?" I ask, putting my phone down.

"I'm here to make sure you won't go MIA on us again," he says and I scowl.

"Ya! Ya! Don't give me that look. It's not me who left unannounced last night when it was my parents' anniversary. Where did you even go?" he asks, waiting for me to answer.

"I was with Hye Kyo," I smile.

"Ommo! It's really true then, you're really taking the engagement seriously," he says and I continue smiling. "Ommo, don't tell me.." he says, his hands in covering his mouth.

"What?" I ask. What is he talking about?

"You didn't...Ommo!"

"Ya! What are you talking about?! Aish! Byuntae," I say, irritated. Sometimes his imagination can be really wild.

"So, you didn't?" he says, mimicking a kissing gesture with his hands.

"Of course, we didn't," I say, throwing a folder at him and he dodges it expertly. It's too, early for that. Maybe later. Hye Kyo's gonna be so mad I'm thinking like this. I smile, remembering how annoyed she becomes when I like that.

"Ya, ya, ya. Why are you smiling like that?"

"Like what?" I ask innocently

"Like that! You're smiling too much. You look hideous" he says with his trademark disgusted expression. I laugh and he looks at me strangely. Am I really smiling that much?

"Pabo. Yuck! Stop it! Stop looking at me like that!" He says, gesturing wildly now.

"What?" I pout at him.

"Forget it, I'm going! I can't stand your face anymore" he says and stomps out of the office. I follow suit right after.

--

 I get to my car pleased at how tonight went. We went to our favorite bar right after dinner enjoying drinks and catching up. They all started teasing me the moment I arrived. Well, except Jong Suk. He was still giving me that look. I get where he's coming from. With all that Hye Kyo told me last night, I, too would feel the need to be overprotective when it comes to her.I just give him a nod and he lets it go. On the otherhand, I only responded with a smile to all the teasing I've been receiving. If these guys only knew the real deal between me and my fiancee. 

I am about to put my seatbelt on when I notice something peeking underneath the passenger seat. I pick it up and realize that it's an intricately designed bracelet. Song Hye Kyo's name is engraved at the back of it, so small you won't notice it easily. 

It must've fallen when she was sitting there. I instantly had an idea. I started my car and head towards their house.

 

---

*SHK's POV*

 

I just finished with my nightly rituals and light vanilla scented candles to calm my nerves. I am about to close the doors to my balcony when I catch a glimpse of the night sky. The sky is full of stars tonight. I stare at the scene outside and couldn't help but feel captivated. Spellbound, I slowly make my way to the balcony and position myself at my favorite spot. I run my h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter