Deciphering the deal from what's real

Fated
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*SJK’ POV*

 

I stare outside my office window to calm myself. I can’t believe how nervous I am right now. I stare at my watch, 11:30am, I have about an hour and a half left before the meeting starts. I’m not usually like this before presentations, but this one’s different. This one is going to prove what I’m capable of, this is my chance to prove to my father that I also have potential.

 

I’ve been working hard on this day and night and I invested blood, sweat and tears on this proposal. I have to pull this off, this is what I’ve been waiting for.

 

“Sir, excuse me. But someone sent this for you,”  my secretary enters after knocking at the door.

 

“For me?” I ask, not expecting something to arrive today, and my secretary places the box on my table. Who could it be from?

 

I go to my table, curious about the box and pick up the note attached to it.

 

 

Thought you might need some cheering up. Show them what you’ve got. I know you can do it. Aja! –Hye Kyo

 

P.S. Don’t forget to eat before the presentation. J

 

 

 

I smile upon reading her note and smile even wider upon seeing what she sent me. Inside the box are food from Serenity resort that have become my favorites since our last visit there. I wasn’t really planning on having a meal before the presentation since I was feeling too anxious, but the moment I read her note, my worries miraculously faded away. She has that calming effect on me. And all these food look too appetizing to be ignored.

 

I grab a spoon and fork and settle on my seat, starting to dig in. As I take my first bite and savor the goodness that is Chef Nim’s Sesame chicken, I make a mental note to myself to call her later and thank her since based on what she told me last night, she would be in a meeting all day long.

 

I take another bite and close my eyes, enjoying the flavors. I never thought I was hungry until she sent me this. This is heaven and aahh I have the sweetest fake fiancée ever. 

---

*SHK’s POV*

 

“Hye Kyo-ssi! What else do you girls like?” Ah In asks over the phone. We’ve been talking for about half an hour now discussing what else he should prepare for the surprise dinner date he has prepared for Yumi. Finally, he has gathered the guts to officially ask her to be his girlfriend, not that they don’t already act like a couple.  

 

“I already told you flowers are enough. No need to go all out with everything,” I say, thinking about how Yumi fancies simple celebrations over extravagant ones.

 

“But I want it to be special,” Ah In whines.

 

“It’s already special since you’re preparing it yourself,” I say.

 

“But….” He starts to argue and I cut him off.

 

“No more buts. You know Yumi, she likes things to be kept simple. Your presence and efforts are already enough for her. I assure you she’ll be really happy once she discovers you’re doing all of this for her. Okay? I’m hanging up now. Bye!” I end the call before he can say anything else. Ah In can be so OC sometimes.

 

I resume what I was doing before he called which is sketching. A certain design had been continuously popping in my mind earlier while I was attending meetings. I couldn’t help it, I just had to sketch this. Speaking of meetings, I wonder how Joong Ki’s presentation went. I’m pretty sure he got the deal, but it would be nicer to hear it from him. As what I told Lee Jin, Joong Ki really is good at what he does and gives a project his all if it really matters to him. Basing on how important this deal is for him, I’m pretty sure he’s given this his 101%. Wanting to make sure, I make a reminder to myself to call him later once I’m done sketching when my phone lights up again.

 

Yoo Ah In calling. Ugh what does he want now?

 

“Yeoboseyo?” I answer

 

“Roses or peonies?” he asks, surprising me.

 

“W-what?”

 

“I’m asking you, which flowers should I buy, roses or peonies?” he asks and I groan.

 

“Which ones does she like?” I ask, trying to keep my cool. Yoo Ah In will always be the annoying brother I’ve never had.

 

“Peonies,” he simply says and I groan again.

 

“Then why are you even asking me?”

 

“Just wanted to make sure”

 

“Ahhhh Innnn!!!!!” I scream, frustrated now. Is this is his idea of annoying me, then he’s succeeding. Can’t he find someone else to annoy?

 

“Finnee. Bye!” he says, hanging up before I can scream at him more. I grab my pencil and am about to start sketching again, when my phone lights up for the third time.

 

“You are so annoying!!!!” I say, not even bothering to say hello. What’s the use anyway?

 

“What did I do?” a familiar male voice, which I’m pretty sure is not Ah In, says on the other line.

 

“Joong Ki?” I ask, silently cursing myself. What did I tell you, Hye Kyo? Always check the caller ID before answering.

 

“Dae, is something wrong?” he asks, worriedly.

 

“Nothing. I thought it was Ah In calling again. He’s been bugging me about his date,” I whine and he laughs softly.

 

“I see,” he says. He must be thinking how weird I am.

 

“Why did you call?” I ask, wondering what this call is about. Is he going to tease me, too, like Ah In? When I come to think of it, they’re kind of the same in the teasing department.

 

“Oh, I almost forgot. Your cute outburst kind of distracted me,” he says and I’m about to protest when he continues. “Just want to thank you for the food. Ah, it was heaven. I’ve been craving for days,” he says and I smile, grateful that I overcame my hesitation to send it.

 

“You’re welcome. Just wanted to cheer you up. I kind of feel bad that I’m not there to do it personally. Anyway, how was it?” I ask, sincerely curious.

 

“There’s no decision yet, but I received a lot of compliments. They’re going to have another meeting to discuss it, though,” he says and I find myself hoping that he’d get this. After all, he deserves it.

 

“You’ll get it, I’m sure of it. We’re engaged, after all,” I joke. “But kidding aside, I’m sure you did great and they were all impressed.”

 

“Wow, am I hearing this right? THE Song Hye Kyo has so much faith in me,” he says and I laugh.

 

“Pabo”

 

“I was just joking. But thank you, I needed to hear that,” he says and I smile. “What are you doing?” he asks and I look up from sketching.

 

“Uh, just sketching some designs. Nothing too important,” I say, closing the topic. He surely is not interested in these kinds of things. Hae Jin never was.

 

“Jinjja? What are you sketching? A necklace? A bracelet? Or a ring, perhaps?” he asks and I find myself doubting. Is he really interested or is he only trying to look like he’s interested.

 

“Uh, a necklace. Let’s not talk about this.”

 

“Wae? But I want to. Send me a picture,” he says, persistent.

 

“No way!”

 

“Why not? I want to see,” he pleads.

 

“It’s not done yet. And besides I’m not that comfortable showing people my raw designs,” I say, knowing most would find it boring and a waste of time.

 

“Hmm, I have a better idea. Send me a picture of yourself instead.”

 

“In your dreams, mister. What are you doing anyway?” I ask, noting the sound of cars beeping.

 

“How many times do I have to tell you that you’re always in my dreams?” So sly Joong Ki. Always so sly. “I’m driving home,” he says and I stop from sketching.

 

“Then what are you doing calling while driving? End this call and focus on driving,” I say, sitting up now. Doesn’t he know how dangerous it is to do other attention diverting things while driving?

 

“Shiro. I still want to talk to you. I missed you,” he says and my heart flutters. “I know, let’s video call.”

 

“What?! No way,” I say. No way am I going to do that. It’s awkward and only cheesy couples do that. I hear a horn blaring on the background and I panic again. “Can you please stop driving while calling?”

 

“No,” he says. Aarrggh. This guy is stubborn!

 

“Pleeaaassee?” I say in the (I’m embarrassed to say this) cutest pleading voice I could muster. He laughs on the other line.

 

“You’re cute, but no,” he says and I scowl. So much for trying, Hye Kyo. “I’ll only stop if you agree to video call me.” Ugh! This guy is soooo annoying. I’m about to tell him to get lost when another horn blares on the background.

 

“Fiiiinne!!!” I say. Like I have a choice. I don’t want to be the last person on his call logs when he dies. That would feel so incriminating.

 

“Really?”

 

“Yes! Really! But I’ll only agree once you’re safely at home. Arasso? I’m hanging up. Drive safely” I say, ending the call then burying my face on my pillows. Ugh. What did I just agree to?

----

*SJK’s POV*

 

The moment I arrive at my condo, I immediately call her. She really sounded apprehensive when I was teasing her earlier. Yes, I love to , but I now feel bad having to worry her. She answers on the third ring.

 

“I told you not to call me unless you’re home,” she says and I smile. She can be bossy sometimes, which is kind of adorable.

 

“I am home,” I say and she huffs, not believing me. “Really,” I add and I get this feeling that she still doesn’t believe me. Aigoo. I turn my camera on and request to video call her. Just when I think she’s not going to accept my request, her bare face appears before me. Aigoo, she looks cute.

 

“Ommo! You really are home,” she says, surprised. “How could that be? You’re really fast,” she says. If you only knew how fast I drove home for this video call. But of course I didn’t say that, she’d only scold me more.

 

“How have you been? How’s your stay there?” I ask, really wanting to know. We haven’t seen each other for a few days and I miss her already. Wait, what am I saying? 

“I’m good. Everything’s going well here, but I can’t wait to go home. It’s really boring here,” she says leaning back on the headboard of her bed and I find a chair in the living room to sit on. “Did Appa give you a hard time?”

 

“No, not at all. In fact, he kept on nodding during the presentation. But he did show me who’s the boss when we played golf,” I say, remembering what happened last Monday when I picked up golf balls while President Song effortlessly shot the balls in each hole. Who knew golfing is way more intense than participating in a triathlon? Aish. I felt like such a failure back then. Luckily, Hye Kyo tipped me and President Song and I had a nice chat over a bowl of ramen. He’s such an honorable man and I couldn’t help but admire his management style, which involves considering his people’s interests first before making any decision.

 

“Well, he is pretty good when it comes to golf,” she laughs. “He wasn’t given the Vardon Trophy in his days for no reason.” Figures. I just volunteered myself to get beaten by an expert.

 

“Thanks anyway for the tip. At least that boosted my morale for a bit,” I say, exaggerating my expression and she laughs, making me smile, too. I like hearing her laugh. “So, when are you coming back?”

 

“I’ll be in Seoul by Friday noon. Why, do you miss me that much?” she asks, raising her eyebrow.

 

“Very. I miss you so much it’s so hard to stop myself from flying there at this moment,” I say, pouting, and she laughs again.

 

“We’re getting really good at this,” she says and I look at her, puzzled. “People are really believing that we’re a couple. Even Hae Jin,” she says softly I almost didn’t hear her.

 

“Jinjja?” I ask. So, that Hae Jin guy is still alive. I could barely stop myself from punching him at the movie house that time. How does he still have the guts to face and stare at her considering all the things he’d done to her? I really wanted to rub in his face that she’s no longer his. See what you’ve lost, man?

 

“Yes. He’s been asking Hyo Joo about us,” she says softly.

 

“Isn’t that a good thing? It means our plan’s actually working,” I say, forcing myself to smile. You made a deal, Joong Ki. You have to fulfill your part of the deal.

 

“I don’t know,” she says, undecided. “I don’t exactly know what to feel. I don’t know if I should feel happy or…,” she adds, already looking troubled. I don’t want to push her further.

 

“Then don’t. Don’t analyze things especially your feelings. Just let things be,” I say, not liking the idea that even the thought of the Hae Jin guy bothers her. “If he’ll come back, he will.” She nods.

 

“Can we stop talking about this? Let’s talk about something else,” she says, clearly uncomfortable with the current topic.

 

“Hmm. Okay. Are you free on Saturday night?” I ask, not really wanting to bring this up knowing that it will only add to the number of things that bother her. But I have no choice, I had to, or else Appa will only make a way to invite her himself, which would seem suspicious with us being engaged and all.

 

“Hmm, I don’t have anything scheduled on that day, why?” she asks.

 

“We’re having this monthly family meeting and my parents kind of want me to bring you,” I say slowly, gauging her reaction. “Is it okay?” I ask, noting her slightly surprised expression.

 

“Okay, then. What should I wear?” she asks and I breathe a sigh of relief at her saying yes.

 

“Really? A casual dress would do. It’s not too fancy anyway. We’ll only be having dinner at home,” I say and she seems to consider this. I am about to say more when she yawns and I realize how tired she must be. After all, she spent the whole day attending meetings.

 

“You should sleep,” I say, not wanting to keep her up late. I bet she still has business appointments to deal with in the morning, and she nods.

 

“You, too. You’ve been working hard these past few days. You shouldn’t overwork yourself, you need to rest.” She says and I smile at her concern.

 

“Arasso. Thank you,” I say and she looks at me questioningly.

 

“For what?”

 

“For being concerned,” I say truthfully. It’s been a while since someone expressed that kind of concern to me. It feels nice.

 

“That’s what normal couples do, you know. They’re supposed to care for one another,” she says, rolling her eyes, then smiles. “I’m hanging up now. Get some rest, too, okay?” she says in a commanding voice.

 

“Arasso, beauty. If you say so,” I smile.

 

“Good night, big boss.”

 

“Good night, beauty. Sweet dreams.”

 

---

*SHK’s POV*

I stand in front of a mansion with huge glass windows and a nice looking garden, wearing a simple white dress.

 

“This is your house?” I ask Joong Ki as he closes the car door.

 

“My parents house. I live in a condo,” he says and smiles at me. “Let’s go?” he asks, placing his hand on the small of my back and ushers me inside after I nod.

 

Upon entering, I am then welcomed by the sight of a huge living room and Joong Ki’s mother approaching and smiling at us.

 

“Son,” she says and hugs Joong Ki. She then turns to me. “Hye Kyo, so nice of you to come,” she says, kissing me on both cheeks.

 

“It’s a pleasure to be here, Mrs. Song,” I say and she gives me a warm smile while still holding onto my hand.

 

“Come, dinner’s ready. Your Appa, In Sung and Hyo Jin are already inside,” she says and leads us to the dining area.

 

“Honey, Joong Ki and Hye Kyo are here,” Mrs. Song announces the moment we reach the room and I bow in greeting.

 

“Anyeonghaseyo, thanks for inviting me, President Song,” I say and he beams at me.

 

“We’re so glad you came. Thanks for bringing her, Joong Ki” he says and Joong Ki bows.

 

“Hye Kyo, nice to finally meet you. I’m In Sung,” In Sung steps in and extends his hand. I take it. “And this is my wife, Hyo Jin,” he gestures to the lovely lady standing next to him.

 

“Hye Kyo, welcome,” she says, kissing me on the cheek.

 

“Okay, dinner’s ready, let’s eat. I’m starving,” President Song says and Joong Ki pulls out a chair for me.

 

“Thanks,” I mutter as he takes the seat right beside me. For a few minutes we all eat in silence, enjoying the food the family cook has prepared for us.

 

“So, how’s work, Hye Kyo?” President Song asks me, looking up from his food and I momentarily stop eating.

 

“Everything’s doing well. President Song. I just got back from a conference in Busan,” I say and he nods approvingly.

 

“That’s good. I’m glad to hear everything’s flowing smoothly in your line of work. Chairman Song must be so proud to have a daughter like you,” he says and I smile.

 

“We’re so proud to have a future daughter-in-law like you,” Mrs. Song quips while holding President Song’s hand and I almost choke on the water I’m drinking at what she said.

 

“How are the wedding plans going, Hye Kyo? You know, you should start early. Planning a wedding is surprisingly stressful,” she says and I mutter the answer I’ve readied for this kind of questions.

 

“Uhm, we hired a wedding organizer for that Mrs. Song. I don’t really know a thing about weddings, so I’m leaving it all to her,” I say and Joong Ki squeezes my hand under the table in encouragement. I look at him and smile, grateful.

 

“You shouldn’t. Weddings should be personal and you should always keep an eye on the preparations to make sure that it abides with your tastes,” she says.

 

“Have you already found a wedding gown?” Hyo Jin asks and I stare at her blankly. Oh gosh, I forgot about that.

 

“Uh, not yet, but I’m planning to find one soon,” I say, forcing myself to smile. How do I escape this kind of conversation?

 

“Oh okay. That’s good since the wedding’s getting near. Hmm, I have a better idea, why don’t I accompany you then, like some sort of a future mother and daughter-in-law bonding. I know this classic boutique which makes a variety of really elegant gowns,” she says and I crush Joong Ki’s hand unconsciously. He winces and I shoot him an apologetic look.

 

“You should come, too, Hyo Jin. I’d love to spend an afternoon with my daughters. Can we do it on Tuesday? Maybe we can have lunch first, then spend some time at the spa?”

 

“Uh, I have a meeting on that day, but I think I can cancel it, Eommonie. This sounds fun,” Hyo Jin says and I almost melt in my seat, dreading that day. They both look at me and I feel cornered.

 

“That’s okay with me, Mrs. Song,” I say and take a big gulp from my glass.

 

“Good. Then all’s settled, then? Ahh, I feel so excited. Finally, I have two lovely daughters to bond with, I couldn’t do it with these two,” Mrs. Song says, looking at her two sons and we all continue eating in silence.

 

“In Sung, son, how’s that meeting you had with the Singaporean investors?” President Song asks, turning to In Sung who stops from eating.

 

“They’re really interested, Appa. They’re paying us a visit next week,” In Sung says and President Song nods.

 

“And the Taiwanese?”

 

“The meeting went fine. They’ll be signing the contract on the next meeting,” he says and President Song proudly beams at him. “Really? That’s really good. I hope your brother here could learn a thing or two from you. I’m so proud of you, son.” he adds, tapping In Sung on the back.

 

“You should follow your hyung’s steps, Joong Ki. Look at how well he’s doing in our business,” he says, while cutting his meal. “How about you? How did that presentation go?”

 

 

“It went well, Appa. They’re scheduling another meeting to decide on it,” Joong Ki says and President Song frowns at him.

 

“What? Another meeting? Didn’t you get the approval, yet?”

 

“I’m sure they’ll give us the partnership, father. They were all praising…” Joong Ki says and President Song cuts him off.

 

“How can you be so sure? You can’t be sure until you get the approval, until you get the contract signed,” President Song says and I feel Joong Ki tense beside me, silent now.

 

 

“Anyway, I heard you’re heading another proposal?”

 

“Yes, I’m proposing an outing for our employees. Like some sort of a reward and at the same time a team building activity,” Joong Ki says.

 

“A what?!” President Song yells, putting his phone down. “A useless outing for the employees?! Are you thinking straight, Joong Ki?! Don’t you know how much that’ll cost?!”

 

“But Appa, it will really benefit our company. If we reward them, then they’re more likely to perform better…” Joong Ki defends and President Song waves him off. “I read from several studies that…”

 

“Nonsense! Those won’t work in the real world. Haven’t you learned enough? You’ve been in this industry for a few years already you should know that reality works different from what you learned in books! You don’t really care about the company, do you?” he says and I see Joong Ki clenching his fist from the corner of my eyes. How can his father say things like this? Especially to his own son?

 

“Ah, what should I expect?! You’re still hung up on ideal business strategies you learned in books. You still don’t know much. What was I thinking? I never should have let you handle the partnership. I thought I could trust you with this, but I was wrong. You’re still too unexperienced to handle deals like this. You took this project for granted!” he says and Joong Ki stands abruptly and walks out. I am about to follow when President Song starts speaking again.

 

“Look at him, where are his manners? He just walks away like that! How insolent!” President Song says, shaking his head.

 

“Excuse me, President Song, can I say something? First of all, I don’t think Joong Ki took the partnership for granted. He worked day and night, even losing sleep for this project. I’ve seen him study even the littles of details just to make sure that all goes well and that both companies will benefit greatly from it. I’ve had a talk with my father and he’s already considering signing the contract. He and the rest of the board were really impressed with how Joong Ki presented the proposal. I think it’s even safe to say that even without this engagement, he’ll get the deal,” I say, no longer contain everything in. I couldn’t just let them think of Joong Ki like that when I know he invested so much in the proposal.

 

“And about the outing, it was my father who suggested the venture. He has always made sure that the manpower of the company are well taken care of and Joong Ki found interest in this. Just to make sure that the project won’t result to waste,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter