Falling

Fated
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

*SJK's POV*

I wake up to the sunlight streaming from my window. I had a happy dream last night. A dream where Hye Kyo and I were having some time alone away from everything. We were laughing and running around the beach, throwing sand at one another. At one moment she got some on her eyes and I went near her to blow it away. She then rewarded me with her sweet smile. We spent the whole day holding hands while laughing and laughing, with not a care in the world. At the end of the day, we sat together and watched as the sun set in silence with me sighing in contentment as she rested head on my shoulder.

 

“I wish we could stay like this forever,” she said and I found myself agreeing. I wished the same, too. I wish I could hold you like this forever.

 

My hand reaches out to the towel placed against my forehead and wonder who put it there, then I remember. Hye Kyo. She took care of me last night. I thought I was only seeing and making things up in my head. So, it really was real.

 

I sit up slowly, feeling much better. The stabbing headache I was experiencing yesterday is gone and is now replaced with a slight dull throbbing. My limbs no longer feel like they’re about to fall off. My skin is no longer burning hot.

 

I vaguely remember her feeding me something to eat. I really had no appetite back then, but still I forced myself to eat seeing how worried she looked. She patiently wiped my chin when I accidentally coughed up some of the soup and carefully fed me more.

 

I faintly remember holding her hand until I fell asleep, not wanting her to leave me. It made me feel peaceful knowing she’s right next to me. I’m quite sure that that’s the reason why I slept well last night. I smile to myself as I slowly get up from the bed, still feeling a bit weak but energized in some ways. So, this is what it feels like to have someone take care of you. It feels nice.

 

I make my way to the kitchen to grab myself a drink. I am about to open the fridge when I notice a note stuck on it.

 

I know you might not have any appetite yet, but please eat. There’s some soup over the counter, just re-heat it. –Hye Kyo

 

P.S. I’m not a very good cook, but you don’t have a choice.

 

I smile upon reading her note and check to find if she really cooked soup. Indeed, there’s a bowl of Samgyetang with a note beside it. I place the bowl inside the microwave to reheat it before reading the second note.

 

I cooked rice, too. Eat it, I put so much effort in it. –Hye Kyo

 

I laugh softly as I find the rice cooker filled with just the right amount of rice. I grab the third note, which is sticking on the side.

 

I bought you some fruits. Eat at least one. I heard they are a natural cure for illness. –Hye Kyo

 

Opening the fridge, I take an orange out with a note that says “Eat me!” and shake my head. Oh this funny yet thoughtful girl. What a way to start my day, I’m already feeling much much better.

 

Once the soup has been reheated, I take some of the still hot rice and eat. Oh, it feels like heaven. I didn’t know I was starving. I then take a sip of samgyetang and am surprised to find it seasoned well and tasting really good. Not a good cook, huh?

 

I continue digging into the food Hye Kyo has prepared for me until I find myself full and satisfied. I then stretch, happy to have gratified my rumbling stomach. What did I say before? I have the best fake fiancée ever. Which tells me… what should I do now?

 

Now that I have feelings for her, should I stay away? Should I confess my feelings? Or should I just let things be for a while and enjoy the moment? After a few thoughts, I decide to take on the third, thinking that it’s the best thing to do for now.

 

The first option I already tried, and failed. I just can’t stay away from her for too long. It’s agonizing. The last three days without her felt like hell, no matter how I tried to deny it.

 

On the other hand, confessing to her might either make her feel awkward towards me and keep some distance or make her feel pressured. And I don’t like any of that. I especially don’t want to pressure her, there are a lot of things pressuring her already and I don’t want to add to the list. I don’t want to burden and push her into something she’s not ready just yet. Instead, I’ll just let things flow naturally for a while, hoping that in time, she’d finally learn to reciprocate what I feel for that, that she’ll learn to love me in return. And besides, I’m a firm believer that things unfold beautifully when the time is just right. I’m holding on to that thought.

 

I stand and proceed to wash the dishes at the sink when I see another note in the corner above a Tylenol capsule and a glass of water.

 

Take this and don’t be stubborn. You still need this though you already feel a bit better. –Hye Kyo

 

P.S. Don’t forget to drink plenty of water. And rest!!!

 

 

 

I shake my head then smile. For someone so feisty, she can be really thoughtful sometimes.

 

---

*SHK’s POV*

 

I stifle my yawn as I go through some documents sent to me by my secretary. I woke up early this morning, momentarily stunned at seeing a sleeping Joong Ki facing me. Ugh, I must’ve fallen asleep while checking up on him last night. I touched his forehead and felt relieved that he no longer had a fever. All the struggling I did just to press the damp towel on his neck and face from time to time while he’s gripping my hand eventually did its magic.

 

I started to untangle myself from his grasp when he gripped my hand tighter, refusing to let go. What a clingy sleepyhead he is, I shook my head, and smiled as I slowly broke my hands free from his.

 

Checking the time, I found that it’s only 3:00am and I decided to cook the Ginseng chicken soup to pass the time and to make sure that he has something to eat when he woke up. I was pretty sure he’d be starving since he only ate a small amount of porridge last night. I finally finished cooking past 4:00am and was pleased with the results. Hopefully, this would suit his tastes.

 

I then cooked some rice, which took me so long since I had to estimate how much he could actually eat. He usually eats a lot, like other men, but since he was sick and his appetite was affected, I thought maybe he’d eat less. After several minutes of internal conflict, I finally settled on a serving an a half. Anyway, he could always reheat the leftovers.

 

I then made some notes to remind him to eat, even putting one on an orange. Lastly, I took a Tylenol pill and put it next to a glass of water, making a note remind him to take it despite him feeling well already, just to be sure.

 

Taking my bag from where I last left it, I then proceeded to check up on him one last time. He’s still sleeping peacefully, and his light snoring made me laugh softly. He looked adorable. Before heading out of the room, I took the towel on the bedside table and placed it gently on his forehead, praying that he’d feel better the moment he wakes up. Then, I turned off the lights and quietly closed the door behind me.

 

I arrived at my house about a quarter to six with Min Ji sleepily opening the gate for me.

 

“Where have you been?” she asked and I told him about Joong Ki getting sick. She only nodded and closed the gate behind us. I’m lucky my dad is away on a business trip, or else I wouldn’t hear the last of it. Though Joong Ki’s already my so-called fiancé, I’m still not allowed to stay in his condo for long, let alone sleep in it. My father’s quite conservative, you see.

 

I got to squeeze in a few minutes to take a nap before I had to get up and get ready for work. Luckily, I don’t have any appointments today, except the meeting with the marketing team, which I already attended first thing in the morning. Now, all I have to do is finish reading all these documents and sign the ones that need to be signed and I’m free.

 

I’m about to yawn again when someone knocks on my door, stopping me.

 

“Come in,” I yell, without looking up from my documents. I then hear footsteps that I could tell do not belong to my secretary. Curious, I finally look up to find a smiling Joong Ki approaching me.

 

“W-what in the…” I stutter, stunned at seeing him looking fresh and well.

 

“Surprise,” he says, handing me a bouquet of white stargazer lilies and pink roses. I take them, still surprised.

 

“Thought you might also need this,” he says, handing me a cup of coffee.

 

“Thanks,” I only manage to mutter. “What are you doing here?” I ask. Shouldn’t he still be in bed?

 

“I just had a meeting with some of the boards and Onew,” he says. Shouldn’t he still be resting? I’m quite sure I told him to rest. I am about to remind him when he cuts me off. “And before you could even scold me, that’s my only appointment for today, which I can’t cancel. And I’m feeling a lot better. Well, thanks to you,” he smiles and I soften. My plan of scolding him forgotten.

 

“Thanks for taking care of me last night,” he says as he takes a seat in front of my desk. “I know you’re busy and doing so was such a hassle on your part. I’m sorry”

 

“You shouldn’t be. It wasn’t your fault you got sick… err. Well, it kind of is, now that I think about it since you’ve been stressing yourself over work too hard. Buuuut, I’m glad to help. I’m your ‘fiancée’ after all, right?” I say, smiling at him. It feels nice seeing the color come back to his face. His unusual paleness last night really did scare me.

 

 “Ugh, heaven,” I say as I take a sip of coffee. “I really needed this. Thank you,” I say and he smiles.

 

“By the way, how did you know where I live?” he asks and my smile fades away. Well, this will be awkward.

 

“Uh, I kind of got worried after our call and called your mother to ask her. Don’t worry, I gave a passable alibi,” I say simply, as if it doesn’t really matter. I take another sip of coffee.

 

“Did she tell you about the passcode too?” he asks, wondering and I almost choke on my coffee. I wipe my lips first before answering. Here goes.

 

“Well, that one I guessed on my own.”

 

“Jinjja? How?” he asks, interested now.

 

“Uhm, well, you’re kind of conceited enough so I thought it was logical that you’d put in your birthday as your passcode,” I say, wanting to hide under the desk.

 

“What??!” he asks, looking insulted and I laugh at his reaction. Okay, I changed my mind.

 

“Well, I was right, wasn’t I?” I tease and he only scowls at me.

“Let me treat you to dinner so I can thank you properly,” he says, changing the subject and I let him after raising an eyebrow at him.

 

“You know you don’t have to do that,” I say.

 

“But I want to. I know I’m not exactly the easiest patient,” he says and I smile, remembering how I tried to bathe, dress and feed a zombie last night.

 

“Fine,” I say. “But let me finish this first then we can go,” I say and he smiles.

 

“Deal,” he says, giving me a thumbs up and I return to reading the documents.

 

“Are these all your files?” he says, pointing at the stack on my desk and I look up and nod.

 

“You need to read all of these?” he asks.

 

“I’m already finished with them,” I say proudly. I read them on the three days you weren’t bugging me, I want to add.

 

“Whoah,” he says, amazed. “Can I take a look at some? They aren’t confidential, are they?”

 

“Of course not. You’ll be having a copy anyway, since most of them are for the partnership,” I say as I flip through the pages and he starts opening the top folder.

A few minutes passes by and I look up to see him engrossed and amazed while looking at the contents of a black folder.

 

“Wow, you made these?” he says, his eyes wide and I realize that what he’s holding is not a folder but my sketchbook.

 

“Give me that,” I say, struggling to get the book from him, but it isn’t easy with a desk separating us.

 

“Why?” he pouts and I go around the table to go near him. I am about to snatch the book from his hands when…

 

“Wow, these are amazing,” he says, his eyes still glued on it.

 

“T-they are?” I ask, still not believing what I just heard. I must’ve heard wrong.

 

“Yes, you didn’t tell me you were really good,” he says flipping from one page to another and I peek over his shoulder in time to see him checking out the sketch I made back in Busan.

 

“Why don’t you turn this into a business?” he says, startling me.

 

“W-what?”

 

“These designs are, what can I say? Wow. You’ll surely hit it big if you ever decide to put them in the market,” he says and I slowly take the seat in front of him.

 

“Well, I only make jewelries for fun then wear them as I please or give them to close friends. I don’t really sell them,” I say. “And who would even buy them,” I add. Who would even take interest in my customized jewelry aside from my friends, who think they’re nice. But I think they only say that in order not to be rude.

 

“You will be surprised,” he says and I snort. He’s got to be kidding me. “I’m not really an expert in these kinds of things, but I know something promising when I see one. I’m not joking, these really are good. I’m telling you the truth,” he says and I smile faintly at him, thankful that someone like him believes in me that much.

 

“Thanks,” I say and he smiles. “I’m done here, let’s go?”

 

“Gaja!” he says as he stands from his seat and offers his arm to me.

 

“Oh, before we eat, there’s something we need to go to, first.” I say and he looks at me curiously.

 

“Where is that?” he asks.

 

“The grocery store,” I say as I hook my arm through his.

 

--- 

*SJK’s POV*

 

I park my car at the back of the nearest grocery store wondering why we’re here. Doesn’t she have people at home to do this for her? But then again, maybe she likes doing this on her own? This girl never fails to surprise me.

 

“Let’s go,” she says as she drags me to the store.

 

“What exactly are you going to buy?” I ask, pushing the cart as she looks around.

 

“Your supplies,” she says and I stop pushing, confused.

 

“What?”

 

“Well, I was checking through your cabinets and fridge last night looking for something to cook for you when I noticed you’re out of food,” she says and I feel embarrassed. Can’t believe I forgot to grocery shopping again. Not that it’s my kind of thing.

 

“Well, uh…” I try to find an alibi but couldn’t and she narrows her eyes at me.

 

“Tell me the truth, are you one of those guys who only eats in restaurants and eats take-out food?” she asks. Well, thanks to my forgetfulness, she’s now judging me.

 

“No! I’m only kind of busy these days and…” She raises a brow at me. “Fine! Yes,” I admit, accepting defeat and she smirks.

 

“Knew it,” she says and turns around continuing with her search. What was I even doing, thinking I could win over this girl? She finds a box of pancake powder and puts it in the cart. Hmm, fair enough. She then takes a dozen of eggs and looks at me. “For breakfast,” she says and I nod helplessly. In this kind of place, she’s the boss.

 

I watch as she continu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter